Tires

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Stormswift

Tires

Post by Stormswift »

Since I will be ordering some stuff shortly and will have free shipping I wanted to ask about the tires our Buddies 150 cc have. They are tubeless, correct? I am thinking about adding tire sealant in case I get a flat (I have portable inflator already) so now I would like to carry sealant with me. I just need to make sure I am getting the right kind
I am not a scooter snob.
I am a scooter connoisseur
JHScoot

Post by JHScoot »

wow. jackets? tires?

storm i am gonna give you my address and you can buy me some stuffs. fed ex preferred, please

:rofl:
Stormswift

Post by Stormswift »

I am still hoping for more sales Jacket purchase is very likely, Tires no. just a sealant. If I do get the leather I bet the slime will work on leather rips just as well as punctured tires. :lol:
I am not a scooter snob.
jmkjr72

Post by jmkjr72 »

i wouldnt even think about any of the tire sealants you are better off with a plug kit and repairng the tire that way

if you put the sealant you wont be able to repair the tire in the future

also when you go to have a new tire put on its a pain to clean all that crap off so you can reinstall the new tire
z 2008 zuma 50
olive 2008 setlla
1979 tomos
Stormswift

Post by Stormswift »

jmkjr72 wrote:i wouldnt even think about any of the tire sealants you are better off with a plug kit and repairng the tire that way

if you put the sealant you wont be able to repair the tire in the future also when you go to have a new tire put on its a pain to clean all that crap off so you can reinstall the new tire
Thank you, jmkjr72. This this exactly the info. I was looking for!!
I am not a scooter snob.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

jmkjr72 wrote:i wouldnt even think about any of the tire sealants you are better off with a plug kit and repairng the tire that way

also when you go to have a new tire put on its a pain to clean all that crap off so you can reinstall the new tire
:+!:

It's actually pretty easy to plug a tubeless tire. You can mount tubed tires on the Buddy, but there's not much of a reason to do so unless you want certain brands of whitewalls. Stick with the tubeless, avoid the sealant, maintain proper pressure and get a plug kit. (I was even able to use my plug kit on one of my car tires!)
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
Stormswift

Post by Stormswift »

ericalm wrote:

:+!:

It's actually pretty easy to plug a tubeless tire. You can mount tubed tires on the Buddy, but there's not much of a reason to do so unless you want certain brands of whitewalls. Stick with the tubeless, avoid the sealant, maintain proper pressure and get a plug kit. (I was even able to use my plug kit on one of my car tires!)
I am assuming BUddy 150 Itallia is tubeless (I doubt they are anything special since my bike is stock). I do not take long rides or anything but I do want to be proactive , to have a kit just in case
I am not a scooter snob.
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

Stormswift wrote:I am assuming Buddy 150 Italia is tubeless
Yes, all the 150s have come with tubeless tires as stock. As far as I know, the only Buddys that came with tubed tires were the early 125 Italias with tubed whitewalls and some of the Buddy 50s.
trackpete

Post by trackpete »

I'll throw in on the other side of this - I would definitely consider carrying a can of sealant (make sure it is appropriately sized for your tire) and a small pump in the pet carrier, especially if you don't have the roadside anymore.

A tow of any normal distance is probably going to cost more than a new tire, so it's not saving money to tow & plug. On top of that, I do understand that finances are tight for some people but scooter tires are so cheap that unless you can do the plug labor yourself I would say it makes as much sense to get a new one... plus there's that whole peace of mind with a new tire.

When using sealant, just remember it's a temporary measure. It will cause a large amount of extra vibration* and has an unknown safety period. Also, as mentioned, ALWAYS tell whoever is working on your tire that you used it - once they know it's in there it's not a big deal (unless you used an SUV can on it or something).

In summary, if you're looking for a safe, cheap way of getting home when you have a flat, that's what sealant is for. It's not for repair or permanent riding.

*Vibration: I rode a few hundred miles through the NV/UT desert with slime in and there was a theory that the extra low freq vibration (it was intense at times) caused a bearing to come loose in my trans... though it could've just been the 14k miles of abuse leading up to that.
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... 1tTNVh">DC to the Arctic Circle! An old youtube playlist.</a>
jmkjr72

Post by jmkjr72 »

sure you can but here is the thing i have picked up a staple and used a plug and rode for another 6000 miles on the tires

sure you can get cheap tires for your scoot the tires on run on my zuma are 50 bucks a pop and not stocked localy

and if your running zippys on your scoot thats 40 bucks a pop

and if you have to wait for a tire to be ordered after you limped it home on fix a flat you are talking more down time

i would plug the tire on the side of the road myself before even thinking about puting fix a flat in a tire

get your self a kit along these lines
http://www.scooterworks.com/Tire-Repair ... 0C571.aspx
and you wont ever have to worry and if you cant fix it with a plug you sure as heck aint fixing it with fix a flat

the kit i swap between scoots motorcycle bike and cages has stuff for both tube and tubless tires
z 2008 zuma 50
olive 2008 setlla
1979 tomos