Carrying Extra Gas

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

thumbuddy

Carrying Extra Gas

Post by thumbuddy »

Last time visiting my mon in Palm Desert, CA we rented two Buddy 150's from Scoot Plam Springs located at the Ace Motel on the 111. One day we went to Joshua Tree National Park and could not go all the way thru for fear of running out of gas. The next day we rode around the Salton Sea, where there was ample gas. but I was uncomfortable most of the way worrying about gas. Anyone have suggestiona on carrying extra gas.
PeterC

Post by PeterC »

Most stores that carry camping and hiking supplies will have fuel bottles. These are usually aluminum alloy with a screw cap, and are specifically designed for gasoline.
trackpete

Post by trackpete »

You'll get two replies from these in the past:

1. If you want a "regular" reserve, something you can comfortably carry at all times, look into buying fuel bottles designed for camp stoves. These are stable and safe and small enough to fit conveniently inside most scoots.

2. If you are looking for some extra fuel for a long trip as you describe, a 1gal or 2.5gal gas can ($5-10 at any big store) and a couple bungee cables are perfect.

Personally I got so used to the 2.5gal can strapped to the back of my seat as a backrest on my last big trip that long rides without it just feel weird!
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... 1tTNVh">DC to the Arctic Circle! An old youtube playlist.</a>
Howardr

Post by Howardr »

I'm with trackpete. I use the fuel bottle "just in case." When I'm taking a long ride where I KNOW that gas is hard to find, I have a one gallon and a two gallon container I bungee to the back of the scoot.

Howard
Iron Butt Association Member Number 42256
Club - The Sky Island Riders.
Publisher: The Scooter 'Zine thescooterzine.com
killbilly

Post by killbilly »

Howardr wrote:I'm with trackpete. I use the fuel bottle "just in case." When I'm taking a long ride where I KNOW that gas is hard to find, I have a one gallon and a two gallon container I bungee to the back of the scoot.

Howard
Is it safe to carry fuel bottles (which are made for fuel) in the pet carrier?

I know it gets kinda warm in there. That's why I ask.
trackpete

Post by trackpete »

killbilly wrote:Is it safe to carry fuel bottles (which are made for fuel) in the pet carrier?
You will be dead from heat stroke long before gas ignites without an ignition source (ignition temp is around 500F I believe). :)

The MSR bottles are supposed to be air tight, preventing fumes from being released and thus theoretically you could even set the pet carrier on fire without risking the bottle igniting.

If paranoid, though, it may be worth ensuring there's some ventilation into the carrier (can't hurt) - that way if it is leaking a bit and you have a short of some kind the chances of ignition are reduced.
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... 1tTNVh">DC to the Arctic Circle! An old youtube playlist.</a>
killbilly

Post by killbilly »

trackpete wrote:
killbilly wrote:Is it safe to carry fuel bottles (which are made for fuel) in the pet carrier?
You will be dead from heat stroke long before gas ignites without an ignition source (ignition temp is around 500F I believe). :)

The MSR bottles are supposed to be air tight, preventing fumes from being released and thus theoretically you could even set the pet carrier on fire without risking the bottle igniting.

If paranoid, though, it may be worth ensuring there's some ventilation into the carrier (can't hurt) - that way if it is leaking a bit and you have a short of some kind the chances of ignition are reduced.
Oh, sorry. I should have specified what I meant by safe. I know ignition isn't likely while sealed, but I also know that gasoline, when heated, vaporizes easily. I don't know if the fuel bottles have pressure-relief valves on them. When you go to open a warmed fuel bottle, I'd worry about sudden vapor discharge or inability to gently bleed off pressure before opening, especially if you're near an ignition source.

That's what I was thinking about.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

trackpete wrote:1. If you want a "regular" reserve, something you can comfortably carry at all times, look into buying fuel bottles designed for camp stoves. These are stable and safe and small enough to fit conveniently inside most scoots.
I now have four of these 1L bottles (Brunton brand, solely because I've gotten them very cheap), giving me 1 gallon reserve if I need all 4. Usually I'll carry 2, either bungeed to a rack or in a double neoprene bottle holder similar to this one.
trackpete wrote:

Gas expands easily and quite a bit. If you're going from a cool outdoor temp into the pet carrier, it will expand in the bottles. I think it's highly unlikely that the pressure will cause a well-made bottle to burst. But you should definitely not fill them to the brim then toss them in the pet carrier and should be careful when opening them.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
Cheshire

Post by Cheshire »

Wine carrier for fuel bottles, eh? Don't mind me, I'm just stealing that idea. :idea:
jmkjr72

Post by jmkjr72 »

if you get the fuel bottles that are made to hook up to whisper lights stoves you do not have to worry about the expansion
they are desinged to be preasurized to pump the fuel to the stove and to be used very close to the stove when cooking

i have a 25+ yo plastic whisperlight bottle that all i have done is replaced the oring dozen times i use it for backpacking and for extra fuel for the zuma

i would think the new al ones would be stronger then my plastic one
z 2008 zuma 50
olive 2008 setlla
1979 tomos
TVB

Post by TVB »

Cheshire wrote:Wine carrier for fuel bottles, eh? Don't mind me, I'm just stealing that idea. :idea:
That gives me an idea I like: using a (new) 1-gallon gas container for wine.... :idea:
jmkjr72

Post by jmkjr72 »

TVB wrote:
Cheshire wrote:Wine carrier for fuel bottles, eh? Don't mind me, I'm just stealing that idea. :idea:
That gives me an idea I like: using a (new) 1-gallon gas container for wine.... :idea:
back in the day a friend of mine added an extra windsheild washer set up for his cage

he ran a line into the car under the dash
and when you pushed the button it would dispense booze into his soda

i was thinking about taking one of the small keg like tanks that they used to use on rails and make a mount for the rear of my scoots

maybe on the zuma i can tee in but on the stella i will just have to use it to fill the primary tank
z 2008 zuma 50
olive 2008 setlla
1979 tomos
michelle_7728

Post by michelle_7728 »

...or you can be like me and just go cheap and do this. There was room for me to put my feet on either side. Basically I put a bungie around the scooter itself, then set the gas can on top of it and used another bungie to attach the gas can on either side.
Attachments
Little Bit.jpg
Little Bit.jpg (57.69 KiB) Viewed 1550 times
Past bikes: 08' Genuine Buddy 125, '07 Yamaha Majesty 400, '07 Piaggio MP3 250, '08 Piaggio MP3 500, '08 Aprilia Scarabeo 500
Current bikes: Two '09 Genuine Buddy 125's
killbilly

Post by killbilly »

michelle_7728 wrote:...or you can be like me and just go cheap and do this. There was room for me to put my feet on either side. Basically I put a bungie around the scooter itself, then set the gas can on top of it and used another bungie to attach the gas can on either side.
Yeah, we can't do that on the Blur. There's a center section that wouldn't hold it.
jijifer

Post by jijifer »

so the problem with the camping fuel bottles is filling them. Trying to do so at the pump is a DISASTER. So if you have to have a 1 gallon jug of gas, why mess with a under the seat bottle that will only get you about 20 miles?

I've scooted from San Diego to both Palm Desert and Salton Sea. Here are some tips:

map out gas stations a head of time. Get gas whenever you see it since the next will be a ways and ONLY fill your spare at the last known stop so you aren't bouncing around fuel the whole dang trip. We have to come over the mountains to hit Palm Springs or Salton Sea and no matter which way we go, the descent is FIERCE, while I don't fear the heat and sun igniting my fuel, I can totally see crashing along the many twists and turns of the descents and the metal on pavement at the velocity creating sparks, the plastic on my spare tank just shredding and the fire ball catching up to me from behind.

So I don't carry fuel until I need to - like getting on the 78 from the 86 and knowing there's no gas for nearly 80 miles and a climb of 4k such that I'll use more than a tank.

I never guess more than 70 miles between stops for gas. It's just keeping it safe so I don't run out.

but those little camping bottles are not worth the effort to fill.

the other tip is TYING DOWN rather than bungee the fuel. Now Track Pete will have more experience but on the Borrego/Salton Sea Way, we had a spare fuel can (full) bounce loose. Scary as sh*t! That road is TERRIBLE and what was funny was after having the sh*t shook out of us for miles there then was a sign that said "Rough road ahead" that was just painful!! So you need to make sure your bungees have NO give or just use straps because if the roads are bad, the fuel can comes loose. HECK both our tanks flew off hitting a pothole on the city street only that time they were empty.

so that's the sum of my experience scooting in the desert out here. I love it. It requires a plan and those are my tips for having fun.

the fellas at Scoot Palm Springs are super nice guys. they took us on a tour when we scooted out there. I'm so glad you have fun renting from them!!
trackpete

Post by trackpete »

jijifer wrote:the other tip is TYING DOWN rather than bungee the fuel.
Bungees can definitely be tricky, it's easy to strap something down in a way where a certain direction of force can slip the tension. I've made this mistake a few times myself. I go through a ritual whenever I get on/off of slapping all my bungeed gear hard from a bunch of different directions and will run the straps differently if stuff moves at all. I also bungee *tight* which lets me get away with craziness like the shot below.

I am a huge fan of those bungee net things though, those are a ton easier to deal with and may more secure even if stuff slips around. Definitely recommend them - I bought some of those in Fairbanks and they were sweet, plus you can stuff all sorts of things under them.
Attachments
Made it up the Dalton Highway like this, trip is to double bungee tight and secure against movement in any direction.
Made it up the Dalton Highway like this, trip is to double bungee tight and secure against movement in any direction.
IMG_2120.jpg (72.21 KiB) Viewed 1475 times
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

trackpete wrote:I am a huge fan of those bungee net things though, those are a ton easier to deal with and may more secure even if stuff slips around. Definitely recommend them - I bought some of those in Fairbanks and they were sweet, plus you can stuff all sorts of things under them.
I've become a big fan of bungee nets. Almost unreasonably so. I'm currently upgrading all my bungee-like carriers so I can toss my awful 99¢ Store bungees (falling apart). Also, the blue one is a little big for my bicycle rack.

Versatile! This is a burrito dinner for two!

I have one of these coming from Public Bikes:

And will probably be getting one of these from REI.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
killbilly

Post by killbilly »

Eric, that last cargo net you can get in a lot of places cheaper than REI.

I got mine - which is IDENTICAL to the one in the picture - at a local bicycle shop. It was about $15.00.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

killbilly wrote:Eric, that last cargo net you can get in a lot of places cheaper than REI.

I got mine - which is IDENTICAL to the one in the picture - at a local bicycle shop. It was about $15.00.
You got hosed!
Attachments
cargonet.jpg
cargonet.jpg (25.55 KiB) Viewed 1454 times
killbilly

Post by killbilly »

ericalm wrote:
killbilly wrote:Eric, that last cargo net you can get in a lot of places cheaper than REI.

You got hosed!
Apparently.

At least I was supporting a local shop. :(
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Irony almost kicked me in the ass on my afternoon bike ride. I decided to just wrap my bail out bag and U-lock to my rack with a regular bungie since I was traveling pretty light today. A couple miles out and my bag and lock were in the street. The bungie (age unknown; it came with my bike) just snapped in half!

If it had gotten caught in my wheel, my bike and I would have been sprawled on the road, too.
jijifer

Post by jijifer »

trackpete wrote:....I am a huge fan of those bungee net things though, those are a ton easier to deal with and may more secure even if stuff slips around. Definitely recommend them - I bought some of those in Fairbanks and they were sweet, plus you can stuff all sorts of things under them.
+1 on the bungee net. must have. I think I got mine from Amazon in the $15 range. It does secure the gas can better. and it's true straps can come loose too. I say the more the better. bungee then net it :)

Still map out gas possibilities and only fill at the last possible stop so you're not bouncing it around all day when you don't need to.
KABarash

Post by KABarash »

Wish I had pics but I don't.
I've when needing to carry extra fuel, strapped two fuel bottles under my milk crate, one each side of the rack/fender. When looking directly from the rear it kinda looks like booster rockets..... :roll:
Aging is mandatory, growing up is optional.
My kids call me 'crazy', I prefer 'Eccentric'.
Nullius in verba
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

KABarash wrote:Wish I had pics but I don't.
I've when needing to carry extra fuel, strapped two fuel bottles under my milk crate, one each side of the rack/fender. When looking directly from the rear it kinda looks like booster rockets..... :roll:
I know several riders who do this using hose clamps.

Here's teacherquinn's setup (on a GTS):
BootScootin'FireFighter

Post by BootScootin'FireFighter »

I use the cargo nets for strapping down a lot of stuff with work, and more often piling up groceries on Trader Joes runs. It works great with stacking and strapping cereal boxes to the floor. That's a great price from REI.
trackpete

Post by trackpete »

KABarash wrote:Wish I had pics but I don't.
Oh, man, someone needs to do that and paint their bottles blue and get a NOS sticker on them.

Add a fake turbo whistler and no one will mess with ya!
michelle_7728

Post by michelle_7728 »

jijifer wrote: Get gas whenever you see it since the next will be a ways and ONLY fill your spare at the last known stop so you aren't bouncing around fuel the whole dang trip. We have to come over the mountains to hit Palm Springs or Salton Sea and no matter which way we go, the descent is FIERCE, while I don't fear the heat and sun igniting my fuel, I can totally see crashing along the many twists and turns of the descents and the metal on pavement at the velocity creating sparks, the plastic on my spare tank just shredding and the fire ball catching up to me from behind.
I hear you about not wanting the gas can bounced around, but a gas can is much more suceptible to sparks starting a fire if the can is empty and there are just fumes in it.
Past bikes: 08' Genuine Buddy 125, '07 Yamaha Majesty 400, '07 Piaggio MP3 250, '08 Piaggio MP3 500, '08 Aprilia Scarabeo 500
Current bikes: Two '09 Genuine Buddy 125's
rv-rick

Post by rv-rick »

I'll be the first to agree that this is serious overkill but it doesn't have to be filled to the top, and it can be removable.

http://www.tourbuddy.com/atv.shtml

http://www.tourbuddy.com/faq.shtml#atvfaqs
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

rv-rick wrote:I'll be the first to agree that this is serious overkill but it doesn't have to be filled to the top, and it can be removable.

http://www.tourbuddy.com/atv.shtml

http://www.tourbuddy.com/faq.shtml#atvfaqs
The problems with these on a Buddy are weight (you'll exceed recommended weight for a rack and run the risk of cracking panels) and heat (from riding at WOT for too long without allowing the engine to cool).

They can be used but you'll still have to stop every 100 miles or so to allow the engine to cool.

That said, I'm thinking about one (or something similar) for either the Stella or Vespa for a 500+ mile endurance challenge this spring.