Weird burning smell from my buddy...

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Buddytheelf723

Weird burning smell from my buddy...

Post by Buddytheelf723 »

Hey crew,

The past few days I have noticed a slight burning smell from my scoots. I think it is coming from the exhaust...but not super sure. It sat for a few days durning the blizzard that rocked Boston this past weekend.

Yesterday after running for about 15 mins I stopped for gas, truned off the scoots and noticed "smoke" still coming out of the exhaust pipe...seemed strange to me. This morning I could still smell the burning smell.

Any ideas on what it could be? Thanks!

-T
jmkjr72

Post by jmkjr72 »

is it the stock pipe or an after market pipe

it possible if it stok that you have some sort of build up still burning out of the cat but i have never experainced it
z 2008 zuma 50
olive 2008 setlla
1979 tomos
tbonestone

Post by tbonestone »

how many miles are on the bike? When they're brand new the buddy is shipped with paraffin on the exhaust to keep it from rusting in transit. You'll really notice it when the bike is brand new and fully warmed up. After around 150mi or so, its all gone.
Hwarang

Post by Hwarang »

check the tailpipe for oily or gassy residue / liquid. that will point to, or rule out, some carb and ring issues.
"Limitations are the soil from which creativity grows." - Zeldman
"All that glitters is not golden" - Shakespeare
"Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known" - Carl Sagan
"I must not fear. Fear is the mind killer ..." - Dune
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

Are you sure the smoke is coming from INSIDE the exhaust? An oil leak or spill that causes oil to drip onto the exhaust or header pipe will create this kind of strong smell. Could you have spilled some oil while refilling the oil reservoir?
bigbropgo

Post by bigbropgo »

Dooglas wrote:Are you sure the smoke is coming from INSIDE the exhaust? An oil leak or spill that causes oil to drip onto the exhaust or header pipe will create this kind of strong smell. Could you have spilled some oil while refilling the oil reservoir?
I have done that a few times. Spilling just a small amount of 2-stroke oil would definitely run down onto the motor and smoke things up a bit.
no i don't ride a scooter, i am a scooter pilot!
VICTUS MORTUUS VENATOR
Buddytheelf723

Post by Buddytheelf723 »

Thanks for all the replies!

The buddy is new with 1178 miles on it. It is possible that I did spill a little oil when filling it up this weekend. I am about 99.9% sure that the smoke I saw was coing out of the exhaust pipe itself. I also heard a strange crackly noise last night after I finished my ride and he was cooling down...Pipe is stock I have not changed it.

I can't imagine there is something in the exhaust pipe...I really hope my Buddy is not sick! :cry:
killbilly

Post by killbilly »

Buddytheelf723 wrote:Thanks for all the replies!

The buddy is new with 1178 miles on it. It is possible that I did spill a little oil when filling it up this weekend. I am about 99.9% sure that the smoke I saw was coing out of the exhaust pipe itself. I also heard a strange crackly noise last night after I finished my ride and he was cooling down...Pipe is stock I have not changed it.

I can't imagine there is something in the exhaust pipe...I really hope my Buddy is not sick! :cry:
If it's oil cooking off the header, it will burn off. Just give it a little time.

Usually, whenever I change the oil on my motorcycle, if I don't have some aluminum foil handy, I get some oil on the header, and it does smoke and smell bad.

I usually immediately go for a ride to see the anxious looks on the faces of car drivers while my bike is surrounded by oil smoke.
jmkjr72

Post by jmkjr72 »

next time you ride it befre you shut it off
do your best to look into the exhast pipe you should see it glowing inside
being you are stock and you have a cat converter built into the pipe you should see it glowing inside there (it does have to be at least 15 to 20 minutes long ride)

if you dont get the cat converter hot enouhg tna drun long enough you will plug them up

also double check that the airline that runs to the pipe isnt kinked or plugd up
Last edited by jmkjr72 on Fri Dec 31, 2010 2:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
z 2008 zuma 50
olive 2008 setlla
1979 tomos
pdxrita

Post by pdxrita »

Was it raining when you rode? I've had some serious steam coming off my tailpipe after a couple of very wet rides. It alarmed me for a minute until I realized what it was. Just another possibility.
michelle_7728

Post by michelle_7728 »

I noticed a bit of a "burning oil smell" from both my Buddy's with low mileage from time to time, though maybe not lately (2,500 miles). Neither has been over, or under (much), on their oil. I'm thinking it might not be terribly abnormal, so long as you know you do have oil, and you don't actually see smoke or melting wiring.

BUT, I'm not a mechanic, so I'm sure you will hear more from some that are.... :)
Past bikes: 08' Genuine Buddy 125, '07 Yamaha Majesty 400, '07 Piaggio MP3 250, '08 Piaggio MP3 500, '08 Aprilia Scarabeo 500
Current bikes: Two '09 Genuine Buddy 125's
robby

Post by robby »

I had this problem for a little while. I used a blowgun attachment for my compressor and blew it straight into the exhaust pipe. A little dust/dirt flew out, haven't had the problem since. If you don't have a compressor you can probably use CO2 duster cans, just be sure there are no added chemicals.
agrogod

Post by agrogod »

Its a 2 stroke there will always be some smoke coming from the exhaust. The more you run it the less pronounced the smoke will be. When I had mine out this weekend, I had not ridden in about 2 weeks because of rain, it was smoking more than usual, tis the nature of the 2 stroke.
"When your mouth is yapping your arms stop flapping, get to work" - a quote from my father R.I.P..
always start with the simple, it may end up costing you little to nothing
Ethan Allison

Post by Ethan Allison »

See if there's a plastic protector on the metal information plate on the pipe.
babblefish

Post by babblefish »

Your engine is a 2-stroke. 2-strokes burn oil that is mixed with the gas so the smell is perfectly normal. The "crackly" sound you're hearing is also perfectly normal. It's just the metal exhaust pipe making contracting sounds as it cools down after a ride.
Some people can break a crowbar in a sandbox.
basilfawlty

Post by basilfawlty »

Hwarang wrote:check the tailpipe for oily or gassy residue / liquid. that will point to, or rule out, some carb and ring issues.
Uggh. Mine just started smoking after a ride and there is oil around the tailpipe. Guess I'm ordering another 70cc kit. :(

I took a video of the smoking and oil stains. See it here:

http://youtu.be/2dN1lGhpQC8