Waiting for traffic turn signal, anyone?

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

mike_cor

Waiting for traffic turn signal, anyone?

Post by mike_cor »

I'm looking to get feedback from fellow scooter riders out there, maybe even motorcycle riders too. Here in California (specifically central Cal), most intersections with traffic lights will have an "advance green". I'm sure most of you understand that but just to clarify, it's when a left turn requires a specific green arrow to light up, you can't just turn left yielding at the regular green light.

In most cases, I believe the left turn green arrow is activated when a sensor somewhere in the intersection senses a vehicle in the left turning lane. I find that most left turns in my town don't really sense me on the scoot - not sure if it's because of the smaller profile compared to that of a full size car or what. Someone told me that the sensors can be activated also by the use of having your headlights on. I've been riding with my high beam on whenever possible but I don't find this helps, I usually have to wait for a car to pull up behind me before the light is tripped.

Any feedback on this sort of thing? Looking to see if anyone's got any good insight.
Cheshire

Post by Cheshire »

Headlights aren't going to do anything. Turn off the high beams.
There are electrical induction sensors in the road at lights that are tripped by sensors. Look for the cut marks and plant your tire solidly on the middle one, preferably at where more than one cut line intersect. There are X's at the beginning and end of each line.
hachi08

Post by hachi08 »

I have this problem a lot, especially around 2AM when there are no other cars coming or if it's raining. A few things that I find work:

Approach the sensor slowly, not too slowly but driving over it quickly may not give it enough time to detect your scoot.

Stop at the second vehicle position, rather than the first one. On some left turn lights, the second sensor reacts better than the lead sensor.

Forget about the light and continue driving straight, then make a (legal!) U-turn as soon as possible after the traffic signal.
trackpete

Post by trackpete »

It's a universal issue, the most common sensors are inductance/electromagnetic sensors and some of the sensors seem to be calibrated such that they won't trigger at the small increase in inductance caused by the small amount of steel in a scooter (or motorcycle).

Different types require different tricks, but the most common looks like [|] and you can park in the middle of it to have the best odds of tripping it.

Basically as indicated above, look for the rectangular cut-out and make sure you are tripping/covering at least one part of it. If it's an empty rectangle then park on one of the sides, not in the middle of it (or better yet, cross one of the corners).
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... 1tTNVh">DC to the Arctic Circle! An old youtube playlist.</a>
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Park over the cutout and and tap your centerstand on the asphalt over the middle of it.

Most of the sensors in the streets are inductance; they detect masses of conducting (metal) material. The Buddy doesn't have so much metal, so getting more close to the ground (by tapping the stand) often works for me. The other thing that works is backing up and repositioning myself over the sensor.

The big magnets they sell as red light triggers don't work because they're magnetic (don't believe the hype!) but because you're strapping a big extra mass of conductive metal to the bottom of your vehicle.

To complicate things, many of the in-street sensors may have been replaced by timers, which many cities use in higher-traffic areas now, but you'll still see the sensors in the street.

Regardless, CA law requires that the sensors be sensitive enough to detect any motor vehicle. If you find one that doesn't, supposedly you can report it to the city, but I've never bothered.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
hachi08

Post by hachi08 »

I'm going to try the center stand thing! Repositioning never seems to help me.
mike_cor

Post by mike_cor »

Wow, learned a lot. Thanks for all the suggestions!
Halloweenie

Post by Halloweenie »

Or you can do what I did, complain to the mayor's office. That is what the local police officers told me to do. I sent several messages about non-functioning sensors in my area every couple of weeks. A few months later they had put the motion sensors up on all of the lights I complained about. Heaven knows if it was because of me, or if they were scheduled to be updated. I like to think it was me.
226 Vintage Hot Wing, GGR Hot Reeds, Mazzy Race Cut Crank, P200 filter, 128 Main, BJ Stack, Trailtech CHT

AAA-O Anything, Anytime, Anywhere, Bar None
jmkjr72

Post by jmkjr72 »

first thing is you need to look into state law
here in wi a traffice actuated light can be ran by a two wheeler if there are no sings that it is changeing after 30 seconds

now as for the magnet deal as time goes by more and more places are getting rid of induction loops and going with motion activated
(they are cheaper to maintain easier to adjust and can be set up for multiple things (traffic cams trip devices for emergancy vehicles and spped/red light cams))

every time you notice one that you dont trip you need to find out who you call to get it adjusted i would start with the local mayors office they will proably direct you to the street dept or some one else

then they have to adjust it so that it will be tripped by small two wheelers
z 2008 zuma 50
olive 2008 setlla
1979 tomos
Syd

Post by Syd »

Oh, just roll through it like you would a stop sign.

:wink:
The majority is always sane - Nessus
the3rdleonard

Post by the3rdleonard »

When I've had that issue I just go through on the next green for my direction.