Easy ways of making yourself more visible at night

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

un_designer

Easy ways of making yourself more visible at night

Post by un_designer »

Over the weekend, I went on my longest ride so far (probably 25 miles each way). It was dark on the way back, so I started thinking about easy ways of making myself more visible. I happen to have my bicycle messenger bag with me, so my bicycle lights were all there. I figured that I might as well put them to good use, and attached one of those blinking red light to the metal basket I have on the rear rack of the Buddy.

So, now I'm thinking that maybe I could just have a couple of those lights going at night to really make the scooter visible. At some point it's going to be overkill, but I don't know what that point is yet.

Thoughts?
bicyclerider

Post by bicyclerider »

I like these bike lights, I have few of them.
they work great and weigh nothing, have lasted me almost 2 years.
http://www.knogusa.com/en-us/front.html
Roose Hurro

Cargo Hold...

Post by Roose Hurro »

Sorry for a bit of OT, but... un_designer, is the metal basket on the back of your Buddy a dealer-available accessory? Thanks....

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
un_designer

Post by un_designer »

lol nope. it's just a bicycle metal basket that i zip-tied to the chrome rear rack on my buddy. mr. peabody on here has pictures of it if you want to see what it looks like. it's a cheap/utilitarian solution that i really love. mine's not as pretty as her's though... no flowers :D
Roose Hurro

Accessorize...

Post by Roose Hurro »

No need for pictures... I just didn't remember seeing such an accessory available, dealer-wise. I'd much prefer a basket to a topbox. You can bungie/net more in a basket than you can stuff in a topbox (unless you don't want to close and lock it. A basket would also be less drag, given the wind passes right through it, when it's empty. And it would be easier to snip a few zip-ties for basket removal, than having to unbolt a topbox. I've looked at a Honda CH80 with a basket on the back rack, and I like the look and utility it provides. Thanks....

*starts thinking of other things to zip-tie to a rack...* :P

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
un_designer

Post by un_designer »

zip ties rocks! :D i found these removable zip-ties too, so i don't have to snip it everytime i want to remove/reattach it. but, so far i haven't had any reason to remove the basket yet.
polianarchy

Post by polianarchy »

I have several bike lights that I use at night, too. They live on my messenger bag, so it's not an issue of transferring them from bike to scooter at all! My only regret is that Tireflys don't fit on the Buddy tires without knocking against the forks. :(

And don't even get me started on spokey dokes! :cry:
ModBud #442
gt1000

Post by gt1000 »

Conventional wisdom suggests we're more visible at night because of our lights. With this in mind, the typical suggestions are to boost your lighting output (more lights, more intense replacement lamps, etc) and wear reflective clothing. You need to be especially careful at dusk or just before sunrise.

My solution to the dilemma of night riding is that I don't ride at night. It's not that I'm concerned about being seen, it's more the things I'm unable to see. My night vision is not what it used to be so spotting road hazards after dark is hit or miss for me, and that's not acceptable. Sure, there are times I ride after dark when I'm commuting or going on a shopping run but those are well lit roads that I know very well. If your schedule forces you to ride at night, just be aware that you have concerns above and beyond being seen. Spotting a deep pothole on a dark road isn't a sure thing. Same goes for deer, dogs, gravel, rocks, nails and all the other debris that winds up on our highways these days.
Andy

2006 Buddy 125 (orange), going to a good MB home
2009 Vespa 250 GTS (black)
2012 Triumph Tiger 800 (black)
2008 Ducati Hypermotard S, traded for Tiger 800
bicyclerider

Post by bicyclerider »

Andy,
wondered if your scooters in Denver area are jetted/set up differently for the altitude?
Also how they do climbing up into say Evergreen/Golden/Estes Park or up above Boulder U? Gold Hill road, etc.
thx.
Tbone

Post by Tbone »

Brake light modulator (anytime you hit your brakes, blinky lights then goes solid.)

Reflective anything/everything! My wife for whatever reason had a safety harness with larger reflective strips than my jacket has. I wear it early in the am and in the pm when scooting. I'm planning on getting some racing type stripes for the scooter and some stuff for the helmet!

A front light modulator is a great idea but at least in CA I believe it's illegal to use it at night?!

I'm looking into one now for my Vespa. www.comagination.com

Lighter/brighter colored clothing and helmets.

Assume at night THEY DON'T SEE YOU and are out to KILL YOU! It's a paranoid thing, but so far my night rides have been better for that mentality! I travel a distance of 4 miles at night. Still ride with that mentality.
"Life Is all about ASS! You're either covering it, laughing it off, kicking it, kissing it, busting it, or trying to get a piece of it!"
captaintg

Post by captaintg »

bicyclerider wrote: Also how they do climbing up into say Evergreen/Golden/Estes Park or up above Boulder U? Gold Hill road, etc.
thx.
From Boulder:

Last weekend I rented a 1500cc Harley and took it up into the mountains. Yesterday I took my Buddy up into the mountains. I'm no daredevil in the turns, and I noticed the buddy was plenty fast enough to carve up the canyons. I was going the same speed on both bikes (25-40 mph).
ScooterDave
Most Likely to Spontaneously Combust

Post by ScooterDave »

At night here, we just roll with big ole spotlights taped to our front fenders.

Dave
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Lights on the back, in particular, are a great idea. I haven't had a chance to compare the '06 and '07 lights at night but the new Buddys do sport upgraded head and tail lights. Also wiring the dead legshield lights as running lights may help.

You can buy reflective tape, decals and fabrics to add to your Buddy, accessories and gear. Lots for sale on eBay, various online outlets, camping and boating stores, etc. I've even been surprised at how visible reflective piping in some jackets is (when directly hit with a light...).

When adding lighting, verify that your mods are legal in your state. I'm not even sure that any kind of persistent blinking red light is allowed on a motorcycle/scoot in CA and there are also statutes regarding placement, color, etc.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
weaseltamer

Post by weaseltamer »

i had an awesome little chrome basket that i zip tied to my chrome rack. i used a rotary drill to cut the bottom a bit so i could fit the raised part of the chrome rack inside basket bottom, and then i put a padlock on it. (i feel my basket was so cute... a few zip ties would likely not deter a thief in need of my little chrome basket. unfortunatly i got hit before a picture was taken, and my basket is now ruined. it was a free gift to my bf as a new employee of american eagle... don't think we can get another one :*(
Lagerhead

Post by Lagerhead »

ScooterDave wrote:At night here, we just roll with big ole spotlights taped to our front fenders.

Dave
Of course "big ole spotlights" is at least version 4.0. I've seen that Allstate with a AA Maglite taped to the headset.

Ingenuity is the invention of your mother.
un_designer

Post by un_designer »

gotta love the stylin' headlight!!
ScooterDave
Most Likely to Spontaneously Combust

Post by ScooterDave »

Hey lagerhead, nice avatar. I should start charging royalties.

Dave
KRUSTYburger

Post by KRUSTYburger »

So I wired my dead oem lights in the front to be clear running lights , and they RULE! I'm in the process of reflector-izing everything, I'm trying to be even more visible, but I have two questions:

1) Has anybuddy installed a brake light modulator on an '07 Buddy, and if so, do you have any pics or tips?

2) Who knows if those little deer whistle thingies work for scaring animals off, cuz if they do, I'm gonna need about 20 of 'em for all the cats!
polianarchy

Post by polianarchy »

KRUSTYburger wrote:Who knows if those little deer whistle thingies work for scaring animals off, cuz if they do, I'm gonna need about 20 of 'em for all the cats!
There was at least one thread discussing those things, with the common consensus being a resounding "NO." I bet you could find the thread with the search function if you'd like to read through it...started last spring sometime, I think.
ModBud #442
Kevin K

Post by Kevin K »

I don't think there's a more reflective tape out there then 3M's SOLAS tape.
It's the same material that's used on the green and white highway signs--and you know how those light up at night!
I have a strip on the front and back of my helmet. It's also flexible enough that you can bend it and trim it to fit fenders, etc.

I get mine here: http://www.aerostich.com/catalog/US/Adh ... 16513.html
-K
She rides: nothing yet
He rides: crappy 35 year-old Vespa (and 70cc Rattler)

Minnesota Motorcyle Monthly

My SmugMug
Tazio

Post by Tazio »

If the flashing lights are attached to your scooter, they are probably verboten. If they are attached to your person, they are probably OK. I have a motorcycle vest with a built in led flasher.

The headlight modulators are supposed to have a light sensitive switch that disables them at night.

I installed a brake light modulator on my Buddy. Once I figured out how to diassemble the tail light it was a simple installation to just wire it with the correct polarity in series with the brake lamp.

I have attached front and rear very bright flashers on my tandem bicycle which are probably illegal. However, we ride right past a CHP facility and several police stations every week and have never been stopped.
robtaylor

Post by robtaylor »

two words: tiki torches
Corsair

Post by Corsair »

Anyone ever use a helmet halo?

hcstrider

Post by hcstrider »

Corsair wrote:Anyone ever use a helmet halo?
Yes, I have a helmet halo on my helmet. I have to admit that I have never checked to see just how reflective it is.
Wayne
The safest rule, no ifs or buts
Just drive like everyone else is nuts! (Burma Shave)
madmikal

I wear this shirt...

Post by madmikal »

I wear this shirt....

www.eqtshirts.com

I am the party...

Cheers,

Madmikal
Madmike
Section 8 SC
Milwaukee
'62 Lambretta TV 175
'07 Buddy Italia
Alix B

Lagerhead in Cincinatti

Post by Alix B »

Lagerhead, you have Creepers on-I miss mine. I went through three pairs.
Ah, memories.

Oh, yea, reflective stuff, visibility....
I don't like to ride at night although, I do, and often through the WORST places. I attach one of those caving lights, the ones, for your head- to the bottom of my windscreen.
It makes a huge difference and doesn't blind oncoming traffic.

And wear a Corazzo-ever notice you can't take a picture at night at a rally-cuz of all those Corazzo's flashing....
There's a reason for that reflectivity!
polianarchy

Re: Lagerhead in Cincinatti

Post by polianarchy »

Alix B wrote:I attach one of those caving lights, the ones, for your head- to the bottom of my windscreen.
It makes a huge difference and doesn't blind oncoming traffic.
I really like this idea! How do you attach the light to your windscreen?
ModBud #442
Kurzer

Re: I wear this shirt...

Post by Kurzer »

madmikal wrote:I wear this shirt....

www.eqtshirts.com

I am the party...

Cheers,

Madmikal
OMG!!! so I wanted one but after a closer look, the EL is lower on the shirt than what the picture shows, if it was higher up like the pick I'd be all over that :D
I don't do much modding on the scoot anymore, just riding :-)
madmikal

Post by madmikal »

Yea...but it's $20 cheaper than the other ones. If you want attention of any kind....get this shirt.

I'm going to silk screen the back. I might remove the EL Panel and put it on the back of a jacket or something. It works as a tachometer as well...

Madmike
Madmike
Section 8 SC
Milwaukee
'62 Lambretta TV 175
'07 Buddy Italia
Kurzer

Post by Kurzer »

madmikal wrote:Yea...but it's $20 cheaper than the other ones. If you want attention of any kind....get this shirt.

I'm going to silk screen the back. I might remove the EL Panel and put it on the back of a jacket or something. It works as a tachometer as well...

Madmike
a tach too? PM me :D

I cut up and mod everything else I own... I have no clue why I didn't think that would happen with the shirt :lol: It's in the mail :D
I don't do much modding on the scoot anymore, just riding :-)
maryvu

Post by maryvu »

you can get various lengths/widths of the 3M Solas here too.
identi-tape.com.

They ALSO have a TON of other reflective stuff. I trimmed the black interior panel edges, and entire mudflap of my cream buddy with black reflective. I use 1 inch orange on my green Stella's cowls, fender and legshield. I use the SOLAS on my saddle bags, topcase, helmet (like the elastic one earlier in this post)

I have an unexplainable obsession with reflective tape. I guess that's a good thing!

ps. I also have one of these for night time...
Eddy Merckx

Post by Eddy Merckx »

The flashing bicycle lights work the best, imo they are better than reflective items because reflectors only work after the headlights are pointed at you.

There are supposed issues with the LAW on the flashers but in NY and Ct the police either don't care or don't know because when I ride past them they don't even blink...I understand out west in Cali some of the police dept. do lean on those that use the flashers, it would appear they don't have a lot to do if that has become such a priority for them... jmo

Ride on, be safe, and always tell people at gas stations you get Ninety miles to the gallon and do it with a knowing smile on your face, it really gets those that pay $70.00 to fill their tank four times a month to think about their choices.... just a little thing I do, I look at it as a public service.....
"Social graces, got any"
polianarchy

Post by polianarchy »

I believe the laws are more concerned with the flashing lights if they are attached to your scooter, If they're attached to your person, such as your helmet, jacket, or messenger bag, then it's within the law. I suppose it depends on the state, though.
ModBud #442
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

polianarchy wrote:I believe the laws are more concerned with the flashing lights if they are attached to your scooter, If they're attached to your person, such as your helmet, jacket, or messenger bag, then it's within the law. I suppose it depends on the state, though.
In CA, I'm not sure they differentiate between a flashing light on your gear or on your scoot. The vehicle codes that I found didn't mention attaching anything to your person. But they'll sure as hell pull you over for other lighting violations, so I'm not going to risk the ticket! :)
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
Valgal20

Post by Valgal20 »

If your White (Im flourescent) Drive naked (helmet and underpanties required) You will be seen! if your darker skin, perhaps put some flashing divices in strategic places. :wink:
redding

Post by redding »

Krustyburger: How difficult was it to wire the front running lights? Can you give us more info? Thanks.
KRUSTYburger

Post by KRUSTYburger »

It's pretty easy, there are two posts in the tech library that show you how to hook them up as runners OR to have double blinkers... Whichever you prefer. I like them as runners, I also switched the stock amber ones with some bigger clear bulbs (the part # for these is also in the post in the tech library). My dad says I look like a big Harley or something riding at night, cuz of the extra lights... plus that big ol' headlight! :D
EP_scoot

Post by EP_scoot »

redding,
There is a technical post for it here: topic576.html
Beer is the answer . . . what was the question?

D.
redding

Post by redding »

Thanks, EP!!!