6K smiles and looks like I need a new rear tire.

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

KidDynomite

6K smiles and looks like I need a new rear tire.

Post by KidDynomite »

The center tread line is wearing so thin it just about doesn't exist in a couple of spots.

I believe I need to order a new tire. I prefer performance over whitewall. My Buddy concept is for performance over looks.

I'm thinking of getting Zippy 1's. Anyone know how they perform in the rain?

Any other good suggestions?
You don't wanna get mixed up with a guy like me. I'm a loner Dottie, a REBEL.
lou76

Post by lou76 »

i put on michelin S1's at about 6K... wearing well with no real complaints for 4K+....
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

You may want to search over on ModernVespa, where tire debates and recommendations have been going on for some time.

I have Michelin Pilot Citys on my Vespa and am pleased with them, but I think I remember the dealer saying they weren't as good in the rain as the Zippys.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
Fueldrum

Post by Fueldrum »

I'd say go ahead and pop for the spinning rims too while you're at it.

Cause isn't the epitome of cool a Buddy with spinners? :shock: :D
--Nick
vaderscoot

Post by vaderscoot »

you guys must not weigh very much to get 6k out of your tire im at 2500 and probably need to replace my rear tire.
KidDynomite

Post by KidDynomite »

I'm 180lbs and drive like a bat out of hell. It's probably more the case that I should have replaced it a bit ago.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

I also learned that having a topcase will reduce the lifespan of a rear tire. I wouldn't think it'd add that much weight, but the experts agree on this. Huh.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
lobsterman

Post by lobsterman »

I've got a Zippy 1 on the back of mine, put it on after my 2nd flat on the original tire.

Could be my imagination but I think both speed and handling improved as a result.
Kevin
AYPWIP?
mlstephens

Post by mlstephens »

I just put Pirelli SL26s on my Stella and they're very nice, especially for the price.
KidDynomite

Post by KidDynomite »

lobsterman wrote:I've got a Zippy 1 on the back of mine, put it on after my 2nd flat on the original tire.

Could be my imagination but I think both speed and handling improved as a result.
Yeah, I've ordered the Zippy 1 myself. I figure I'll put the Zippy on the back and eventually replace the front with a Zippy as well.
vaderscoot

Post by vaderscoot »

i have 2 zippys one for the front even though it doesnt need it i just hate running 2 different kinds of tires on anything
lobsterman

Post by lobsterman »

vaderscoot wrote:i have 2 zippys one for the front even though it doesnt need it i just hate running 2 different kinds of tires on anything
According to Seth @ Metro Scooter (who knows way more than I do), pretty much the only reason to match the two is aesthetics.

I didn't have the extra $$ to spend just for looks that I can't see when I am riding and I don't care what anybody else thinks of it.
Kevin
AYPWIP?
sotied

Post by sotied »

If you're starting to see some wear in the back, is it worth it to change the front and rear tires?

From what I've read, the back will wear at twice the rate of the front, so if you change it half way won't you get better life from both and then replace both at the same time?

OR is this a recipe for reduced traction and a disaster in the front?

**BTW, I saw that the Pirelli and some Michelins are really good tires for the Buddy. But it probably comes down to how aggressively you ride and how often you plan on venturing out on the rain.
Cheshire

Post by Cheshire »

A little OT, but I love how you typed "6K smiles" instead of "6K miles".

:D
DennisD

Post by DennisD »

From what I've read, the back will wear at twice the rate of the front, so if you change it half way won't you get better life from both and then replace both at the same time?

No, but you will succeed in spending more money than necessary.

I'm about to replace the third tire on the front of my Helix. That's after five on the back. It might make it through until another rear tire wears out but is close to the bars, not quite there, but...

I have never seen any problem just changing the rear and leaving the old front tire until its no longer practical.