Is a Stella right for me?

The original 2-stroke Genuine scooter and its 4-stroke manual and automatic offspring

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

JohnF

Is a Stella right for me?

Post by JohnF »

Currently have a shiny red Vespa LX50 for running around close to home. I'd like to extend my range to include city streets with 45-55mph speed limits. Considered finding a matching LX150, but then started reading about Stella, and have become interested.

61 years old, semi-retired, wife & I have 4 cars including a couple old ones (a 1969 Datsun 2000 Roadster!), so I can tinker a little, and like the classic look.

The local dealer has no Stellas, but I found a couple new '09's in AZ including a green one which is the color I'd like. It would be PDI'd, crated, and trucked to my driveway for $2350. I want the wide whitewall tires, will have to pay an extra hundred for those (2 of them, I'll get a spare cover)

So, is it right for me? Anything I should be careful of in a sale like this? Thanks,

John F
LV NV
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Yes. Maybe. :)

I have an LX150 and a Stella. I started riding on the LX. The Stella has become my everyday rider commuting in Los Angeles—crowded urban streets, variable speeds. But I also take it on longer jaunts to the canyons, mountains, etc. It's very capable at 45-55mph speeds, but won't do much over 60. (Caveat: mine is a 4T, but much of this is the same.)

One thing I've learned: I enjoy shifting. One reason I got another 150 in addition to my LX and Buddy 125 is that I wanted a different riding experience, and the Stella certainly offers that. It will need maintenance a little more often than an LX and will need things like clutch adjustments, etc. But it's no different than having to change your rollers.

It sits a bit lower than the LX, and I find myself leaning forward a bit more. Probably not for people with chronic back problems or carpal tunnel. I had to switch from a messenger bag to a backpack; I was getting shoulder pains from having weight on my left shoulder when using my arm to shift and so on.

So if you're looking for something capable and truly different from your LX50, a Stella may be for you. If you love the way your LX rides and handles, but just want something with more power, it may not be. You may find that you want the latter, but fall in love with a Stella anyways!
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
bosco
Dealer

Post by bosco »

you have the luxury of living in a state where you can still get a 2T stella.

I would.
JohnF

Post by JohnF »

Thanks for the replies. From what I've heard, it just might work for me. I like the LX, more for the way it looks than the way it rides. I had a Zuma 2 stroke a while back (it was stolen), and thought it rode nicer than the Vespa (don't tell anyone on ModernVespa I said that.)

My other consideration was the Buddy 150, but don't want to rehash Stella vs Buddy as I've seen a couple threads here. I want something unique that I can ride a little farther than the LX50, and the Stella sounds like the ticket. I've shifted cars all my life, so am sure I can learn to shift the Stella.

NV is not a CARB state (yet) that I know of, so I should have no problem registering it. I'll use the Vespa to hop on up to the grocery store, Lowes, bar, etc. where I don't feel the need to put on a jacket or helmet, and use the Stella for more lengthy rides where I can actually keep up with traffic on city streets instead of hovering in the bike lanes or shoulders.

Any 'must-have' accessories? I got the floor mat for the Vespa, and a rear rack, I'll have to have the same for the Stella. Anything else?

John F
craho

Post by craho »

I agree with the guys above, but remember, you asked the question in a stalla forum.
My $.02 is if you've ridden before, are interested in vintage look and shifting, and can tinker a little...Go for it. At $2350 delivered to you, the depreciation is not going to be bad if you hate it and only keep it a year.

Accessories. I didnt want to load mine up, but I just found I needed some storage so I got a rear rack and the Prima bag from Scooterworks. My Stella is black and I like the look of the chrome rack and tan bag. But, I closely considered going the blackout, black rack and black bag look. I may do whitewalls in the future, but I am going to wear these out first.

Good luck deciding. I bought in on Oct. 1 and have not regretted it.
69 lemans, 91 wrangler, 06 element exp mt
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Reistering a new scooter purchased in another state can sometimes be a pain. It is in California, but largely due to our emissions laws. Check with the NV DMV and make sure you won't have any issues bringing in a new scoot from AZ or if you need any additional paperwork, etc.

Zuma rides better than a Vespa? :)
I haven't ridden the LX50 or a Zuma but we all have our preferences.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Oh, and for accessories: At least one rack, front or back. Back is probably more versatile. Also remember that the Stella has very little storage, although you can cram a lot into that glovebox—just not a helmet.
jmkjr72

Post by jmkjr72 »

before you call your dmv call the dealer you are looking at some states have neighboring state laws
basicly they require the other state to collect the taxes and submit paperwork to the dmv
the dealer will know if they have to submit stuff for you

as far as i know the old 2 stroke stella was 49 state

if you have no nieghbouring state law you may have to take the scoot to the dmv to have them verufy the vin

you may also have to fill out a form saying that the scoot isnt staying in this state when you buy it
z 2008 zuma 50
olive 2008 setlla
1979 tomos
JohnF

Post by JohnF »

jmkjr72 wrote:before you call your dmv call the dealer you are looking at some states have neighboring state laws
basicly they require the other state to collect the taxes and submit paperwork to the dmv
the dealer will know if they have to submit stuff for you

as far as i know the old 2 stroke stella was 49 state

if you have no nieghbouring state law you may have to take the scoot to the dmv to have them verufy the vin

you may also have to fill out a form saying that the scoot isnt staying in this state when you buy it
Thanks, will do.
MOD MIKE

Post by MOD MIKE »

Well. we have a lot in common; I am also 61 love to work on my 7 classic cars and my Stella. I find the Stella to be the perfect fit for fun and just enough speed 45-55 to keep pace with city traffic. I think you will enjoy it. If I were you, I'd go for it.
JohnF

Ordered It!

Post by JohnF »

Ok, did it today, paid for the new '09 avocado Stella. It is coming from 'azmotocity.com' (Champion Powersport Group) in Phoenix. It's on their floor now, but will be prepped, re-crated, and trucked up here to Las Vegas. I couldn't come close to driving down and trailering it back for what they charged me for shipping.

In case anyone might be interested, it was 2250 OTD + 100 shipping.

They still have a red one on the floor.

If all goes well, it should be sitting in my driveway by the end of next week. However, with my luck I'll be waiting longer. Now, got to get a motorcycle license - not needed with my 'little' Vespa. Thanks for your help and advice,

John F
LV, NV
birdmove

Post by birdmove »

That is a very good price by the way.

jon
Jon in Keaau, Hawaii
JoshWED

Post by JoshWED »

woot!
Rippinyarn

Post by Rippinyarn »

Congrats - you will love it! Take your time in learning the shifting part... here's a great learning resource that applies to all manual shifting scoots -
http://argousa.com/Gentle%20art%20of%20shifting.htm
Rovers SC
Check out the latest at scooterfile.com
Halloweenie

Post by Halloweenie »

Good buy! Just remember to break her in nice and gentle. Follow the manufacturer's guidelines.
226 Vintage Hot Wing, GGR Hot Reeds, Mazzy Race Cut Crank, P200 filter, 128 Main, BJ Stack, Trailtech CHT

AAA-O Anything, Anytime, Anywhere, Bar None
JohnF

Post by JohnF »

Thanks for all of your help and suggestions. Wait, should I be thanking you for encouraging me to spend money? Yea, guess I should. I could have gotten the Buddy 150 delivered for exactly the same price, but really think I made the right decision with the Stella.

I've not seen the avocado green color in person, and it seems to look a bit different in various pics. Is it anywhere close to the international Buddy green, or more of a 'military' green? If anyone has a pic that accurately represents the color, I'd love a post here.

Is there a Stella owners and/or service manual available here? I'd like to start reading up... Again, thanks for your help.

John F
LV, NV
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Stella manuals can be downloaded here: topic17349.html
gtmotor

Post by gtmotor »

Congrats, I just picked up my Blur 220i from them this weekend. I drove over 200 miles to get there but they had the best price anywhere.

They have a very nice showroom with lots of scooters out (I counted about 20 Genuine scooters out on the floor).

Service was ok but not great... they were kind of slow and treated me more like a tire kicker than a real customer (even when I had cash out for the Blur). The price more than compensated for that and I'd go back again 8)
JohnF

Post by JohnF »

They were certainly nice to deal with over the phone. Oh, my Stella will be delivered tomorrow afternoon - instead of crating and having a trucking company deliver it, they are driving it up in the back of a company pickup! I feel much better about that.

I couldn't come close to driving a pickup down there and back for the $100 they've charged for shipping.

Hope you like your Blur, now I've got to read up on those.

John F
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Looks like this dealer is blowing out old stock. Lots of huge discounts.
http://phoenix.craigslist.org/wvl/mcd/2207942802.html
JoshWED

Post by JoshWED »

updates from our newest owner?
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

JohnF wrote:I've not seen the avocado green color in person, and it seems to look a bit different in various pics. Is it anywhere close to the international Buddy green, or more of a 'military' green?
It doesn't look much like the green of the Buddy Italia in my opinion. To me it looks more like the avocado green appliances of the 60s. Sounds like you are about to find out for yourself. Congratulations on your new scooting adventure.
JohnF

Post by JohnF »

Yes, it is nothing like the Buddy green - the avocado green is more 'military' looking. So much so I added stars so folk salute as I drive by. It was delivered Thursday afternoon. I'm getting used to the shifting, still some problems getting into 1st from a stop. Anyone else just use 2nd from a rolling stop? Just turned over 100 miles this afternoon. The rear rack wasn't in stock, should get it in a week or so. Here it is...

JohnF

Post by JohnF »

BTW, the stars are vinyl stick-on, if I don't like them they peel off easily. Comments on the stupidity of them are welcome. Now that I see them, I'm wondering if black would look better than white...

John F
JoshWED

Post by JoshWED »

i bet black would look good indeed.

2nd is definitely sufficient if you're not starting from a dead stop and you're not looking for the most pep. it sounds nice, to boot. but downshifting into first will become second nature soon enough. good luck!

just remember to turn off that petcock when it's up on the center stand! :twisted:
craho

Post by craho »

I definitely go from 2 on a rolling stop.

Approaching a stoplight, this is what I have trained myself to do:
shift into 1st just before the dead stop, then while sitting at a stop I can shift easily into N and back to 1 from N. At times, when I just went down to N then tried to get into 1 to take off, I had a little trouble and I would panic. But, I have had no trouble switching back and forth from 1-N as long as I hit 1 just before the dead stop. I try not to downshift to 1 ever for driving. I try to hit 1 at 10mph or less as I approach the light.

Also, I love the green. Enjoy your Stella!
69 lemans, 91 wrangler, 06 element exp mt
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

I had some trouble getting into 1st gear at first. I discovered it was easier to get into 1st (especially when stopped) if I relaxed the clutch; my instinct was always to squeeze it harder.
dwayneed

Post by dwayneed »

I might suggest using magnetic backing for your decals, one of the benefits of a steel frame. :)
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

Use 1st gear. Its there for a reason. Yeah you can start in 2nd but you will be lugging the motor. If your having a problem getting it into gear it could be a clutch cable adjustment (easy peasy).

It may also be technique. If your having trouble getting it into first, rock back and forth a little as you shift. Remember the trans on theses is very basic, No syncros...just a cruciform that slides along the gear stack, if there is pressure on it when you are stopped it is going to be tough to shift, rocking will take the pressure off. After a bit getting into first will be natural!
"Things fall apart - it's scientific" - David Byrne
www.teamscootertrash.com

'06 Cream Buddy 125, 11 Blur 220, 13 BMW C 650 GT, 68 Vespa SS180, 64 Vespa GS MK II, 65 Lambretta TV 175, 67 Vespa GT, 64 Vespa 150 VBB 64 Vespa GL
MOD MIKE

Post by MOD MIKE »

I remember my first experience was difficult shifting into first; It requires some coordination; with that twist, shift, clutch sequence, I ended up popping a lot of wheelies! Be careful. :cry:
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

MOD MIKE wrote:I ended up popping a lot of wheelies! Be careful. :cry:
Yeah, I did this too. :)