I'm In!

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Chilly

I'm In!

Post by Chilly »

So was waiting on a check to clear in my account and was going to make an offer at Hollywood superstore on a Buddy 150, we were very close so it was a done deal really unless of course....they close up shop! Which of course they did the day before I was going to offer, after months of planning and searching, doh.
Called another dealer, wasn't feeling it, started looking for a used Vespa in buddys price range and came across a Seafoam Buddy 125 lightly used. Deal was made, I pick her up Monday night. Very excited, my last scoot was a 1966 Vespa I had in the early 80's, loved that thing, great days.
Look forward to cruising south florida. Taking rider safety course next weekend, won't be able to ride for a week, going to be a long week.
Got a noose lock, xena alarm, boots, gloves, picking up a helmet and cover today. What else I need?
Will post pics next week.
KRUSTYburger

Post by KRUSTYburger »

Congrats! That's crazy about the dealer though... at least you were still able to get one, a lightly used Buddy is as good as a new one in my book. :wink:
jmazza

Post by jmazza »

Sweet! Congrats!

I bought my Buddy at the Hollywood SSTAM. I hadn't gone down there for a while but still sorry to see them go.

I don't know where you are in Broward but the Fort Lauderdale Vespa / Varsity Cycle shop will work on them and do a great job. If you need info on any of that PM me.
Stormswift

Post by Stormswift »

Armored jacket (I am sure you know there are mesh jackets for the summer/ hot climates). Riding boots -something that covers ankles.I wear full face helmet no matter what and it can get pretty nasty in the summer in Maryland. Stats show that they are better for protecting lower part of the face. I have a chain lock (Kryptonite) and I anchor my scooter at night to prevent theft.
I am not a scooter snob.
I am a scooter connoisseur
Hellvis

Post by Hellvis »

Congrats bro to your scoot, maybe we run into each other on a ride. I am usually riding on my Black Jack all around the place on my own.

If you are in need for a service shop then Dick and Jeff are the people to see for good quality and competent work. The used to run the service department at SSTAM.

Check them out 954-791-1316

They are on 441 north of Peters Road.
Tocsik

Post by Tocsik »

If you haven't ridden in a while, I would suggest the MSF course.
I rode M/C's in the '80's but never took the course.
I took it a coupla years ago when I got my Buddy. Best thing I ever did.

I wish all drivers would take an MSF course. It makes you a better driver of cars/trucks/SUV's as well.
.::I know the voices in my head aren't real, but man do they come up with some great ideas::.
BootScootin'FireFighter

Post by BootScootin'FireFighter »

Stormswift wrote:Armored jacket (I am sure you know there are mesh jackets for the summer/ hot climates).
+1...

It can get brutally hot and humid down that way, but at least it's still warm most of the year. That'll wear on you and it's easy to get complacent and end up going with a T-shirt on. A well ventilated jacket is the way to go. I'd get a modular helmet as well, that way you can open the lid at stop lights and get some of the ick off your face. Read up on reviews from other riders or you'll end up with several jackets and helmets that were impulse buys.
michelle_7728

Post by michelle_7728 »

Congrats on your new scoot!

Have fun, and ride safe! :D
Past bikes: 08' Genuine Buddy 125, '07 Yamaha Majesty 400, '07 Piaggio MP3 250, '08 Piaggio MP3 500, '08 Aprilia Scarabeo 500
Current bikes: Two '09 Genuine Buddy 125's
JHScoot

Post by JHScoot »

Awesome! :clap:
Chilly

Post by Chilly »

Thanks for the welcomes and tips. Still helmet shopping and still really torn between full face(or modular) or a 3/4. Really would prefer a 3/4 being in south Florida and being claustraphobic, I hate anything near my neck. Do I really need a full face? Also any recommendations on brands of either type, I'm searching everywhere but having a hard time narrowing down the best model. Tried on a few arai's and some scorpions, every large I tried on felt pretty good, but how it feels doing 50 on a 90 degree day is something else. Don't mind spending the first time to get it right...
Hellvis

Post by Hellvis »

Chilly wrote:Thanks for the welcomes and tips. Still helmet shopping and still really torn between full face(or modular) or a 3/4. Really would prefer a 3/4 being in south Florida and being claustraphobic, I hate anything near my neck. Do I really need a full face? Also any recommendations on brands of either type, I'm searching everywhere but having a hard time narrowing down the best model. Tried on a few arai's and some scorpions, every large I tried on felt pretty good, but how it feels doing 50 on a 90 degree day is something else. Don't mind spending the first time to get it right...
The bottom line is, what you feel comfortable and safe with it. Everyone has different criterias and safety levels.

I can tell you what I have based my purchase on, but that might be not the same what you would like.

I got this helmet GMax 55 half helmet

Here is a link of a site that has the helmet features listed.

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/3/ ... =SLIsearch

My reason to get this helmet was because I life here in South Florida as well I wanted a half helmet, but since it gets occasionaly cold I wanted something with a removable neck liner. So like that when it gets cold my neck and my ears were protected from the elements and when it gets hot I can remove them. It also has a integrated shield that looks like a pilot helmet visor. The price was in the mid-range around 70.00. I have used the helmet now for a year and I have not regretted the purchase yet. The inner liner is also removable so you could wash that as well.

I can recommend however to get a helmet from a local shop so you can try it on. I bought it a year ago from SSTAM, too bad that they are closed, because they had tons more.

So summary,

1. Comfort, safety
2. fit
3. functionality
4. Looks and design
5. price

Hope this will give you some guidance to make your decision on purchasing a helmet.
TVB

Post by TVB »

Chilly wrote:Still helmet shopping and still really torn between full face(or modular) or a 3/4. Really would prefer a 3/4 being in south Florida and being claustraphobic, I hate anything near my neck. Do I really need a full face?
There's an article in the FAQ section which talks about helmet choice. Which is ultimately what it comes down to: individual choice. A full will give you more protection than a 3/4, which gives more than a 1/2... down to a batting helmet, which is probably better than nothing. Life is all about taking risks – such as riding a scooter instead of driving a car or staying at home – and you need to decide for yourself what level of risk you're comfortable with.

I wear a 3/4 with a face shield, which balances my personal levels of physical and psychological comfort. (I tried a 1/2, but I didn't like the chin strap doing all the work of holding it on my head, and find a 3/4 more comfortable.)
juice

Post by juice »

**Video Link Removed By Moderator**
Chilly

Post by Chilly »

Think I've narrowed it down to the Nolan N42e and the Nolan trilogy, still reading reviews.
jmazza

Post by jmazza »

juice wrote:video link removed
Juice, we leave that kind of "video advice" to other boards.

The Helmet Basics & Buying FAQ referenced above is info enough.

If anyone wants to see graphic videos of what can happen in any kind of wreck- scooter without a helmet, motorcycle with a helmet, automobile, etc... they are readily available anywhere on the web.

Thanks!
jmazza

Post by jmazza »

Chilly wrote:Think I've narrowed it down to the Nolan N42e and the Nolan trilogy, still reading reviews.
I really like the N-Com Nolan helmets. I wish I had spent the money on the modular one for my first helmet rather than ending up buying one just ok helmet and then another. I currently ride with a Scorpion EXO-400. I really love it. The whole Scorpion EXO series in general is pretty great. I am pretty sure they make 3/4 helmets as well. I'm kind of the opposite of you- I feel naked without a full face helmet on. That whole "wind in the face" thing that makes so many love 2 wheels? I hate it! :lol:

As suggested above, I also have a mesh armored jacket, though I admit to not wearing it as much as I probably ought to.
BootScootin'FireFighter

I'm saving up for an HJC IS-Max, which several other members have and speak highly of. It is a modular with good ratings on ventilation and noise control, and also has blue tooth upgrade capabilities and built in tinted lenses that drop down at the touch of a button. Something else to consider if you plan to ride when the day turns to night. Eric swears by the Vega Summit series of mod helmets, so that's another good option. Go try some on, and wear it around for a while in the store to see how it fits. I also have a Zeus ZS-210C (3/4 copter style). But I only use that in warmer weather and for short trips, nothing over 50mph, urban riding.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Chilly wrote:Think I've narrowed it down to the Nolan N42e and the Nolan trilogy, still reading reviews.
I like the Nolan helmets and have a Nolan N42, which is what I wore before going up to a modular. The external sun shade on the N42 is about as useful as a third arm coming out of your forehead. Which is to say, occasionally you might need it but most of the time it's just in the way. :)

When in the flipped up position, it just looks goofy and creates drag on top of your head. Since I wear sunglasses, the only time I really needed it was at dusk at certain times of the year, when the sun would hit me right in the eyes.

Otherwise, as far a 3/4 helmets go, it's a good one!

My wife wears a Nolan N30, also a good 3/4.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
Chilly

Post by Chilly »

Pulled the trigger on a Nolan trilogy after watching that video :shock: Got some corazzo gloves.
Tool kit? Was looking at a few things to order, battery tender jr., tire repair kit, what else for on the road?
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Chilly wrote:Pulled the trigger on a Nolan trilogy after watching that video :shock: Got some corazzo gloves.
Tool kit? Was looking at a few things to order, battery tender jr., tire repair kit, what else for on the road?
Adjustable wrench. Your mirror will come loose at some point… while you're riding.
Flashlight.
Roadside assistance number. (866-311-8982)
Small towel.
Tire gauge.
On longer rides, I bring a 12V tire pump.
If you get a rear or front rack, a good bungee net is essential!
Bags. If chance of rain, a trash bag for the seat. Wet seat = misery. Plastic shopping bags also good for carrying food, etc. on hook. I've upgraded to a Chico bag and a couple tote bags.
Um… I carry a lot of stuff with me (sockets, tools, all kinds of junk), much of which I rarely need!
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
Hellvis

Post by Hellvis »

have some electrical tape, wire, and spare pieces of a tube, you never now when you can use them.
BootScootin'FireFighter

Chilly wrote:what else for on the road?
Extra spark plug, a must! I'd also carry a good multi bit hand held screwdriver, and a travel size socket set. I also have a fullsize rachet set with just a few metric bits. And if you plan on being out on long trips, a small fuel bottle. There's a few threads that compare fuel bottles, I haven't gotten one yet, but it's on my list of things for the New Orleans trip. A Clif bar would be good to stash as well.
Hellvis

Post by Hellvis »

speaking of fuel bottle. I got a great fuel bottle at Bass Pro Shop. It's the size of the aluminum water bottles but it is made for fuel and has a special cap with venting. Was a bit expensive but it is safe to carry with you.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Hellvis wrote:speaking of fuel bottle. I got a great fuel bottle at Bass Pro Shop. It's the size of the aluminum water bottles but it is made for fuel and has a special cap with venting. Was a bit expensive but it is safe to carry with you.
I carry the 1L Brunton fuel bottles. They're often on deep discount various places online. I now own 4 of them!
Chilly

Post by Chilly »

Thanks for the toolkit suggestions, I plan on putting some serious miles on this thing, want to have a comprehensive kit. Just picked up the Buddy! Brought it back in a pickup but went for a short ride and just didn't want to get off, loving it. Had to cut the trip short, will register this week, get my motorcycle license this weekend(have to take basic safety course in FL). Next few days will be brutal not being able to ride it. Got a xena on it and a nyc noose kryptonite lock on it, but not many spots to lock with is there?
This Buddy is going to see a whole new life with her new owner, has only 1200 miles(2008) I'll put on 1200 in 3 weeks never mind 3 years.
ScooterDave
Most Likely to Spontaneously Combust

Re: I'm In!

Post by ScooterDave »

Chilly wrote:Got a noose lock, xena alarm, boots, gloves, picking up a helmet and cover today. What else I need?.
Always carry a spare muffler bearing. Ask your local dealer about them, they are cheap.
polianarchy

Post by polianarchy »

:roll: ScooterDave, what crawled up your exhaust and died?

From UrbanDictionary
Muffler bearings

A fictional term that bullies use when they ask questions or give maintenance advice to ricers.

There is no such thing as muffler bearings however most guys who know nothing about cars can easily be convinced that it is part of their maintenance.
Italics mine.
ModBud #442
ScooterDave
Most Likely to Spontaneously Combust

Post by ScooterDave »

polianarchy wrote::roll: ScooterDave, what crawled up your exhaust and died?
You never know what you will find up there.
Chilly

Post by Chilly »

Hey Dave, called my local Genuine Buddy scooter dealer and they said they were out of the bearings. They did have some original jokes though, maybe you should give 'em a ring.