Best Mods for Your Money?

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

theralchico

Best Mods for Your Money?

Post by theralchico »

I still have one more year on my warranty, so don't plan on doing anything major soon, but wanted to start stashing money away for the day I can really start to customize my Buddy.

So the question for those who have done them: What is the best modifications for the money? I want to improve the pep and performance, but I'm also talking about curb appeal!
Add to that which ones I can do under a shade tree and which ones should I have my very skilled mech do?
Tocsik

Post by Tocsik »

Pep and performance: Dr. Pulley variator - $90. Dr. Pulley sliding weights - ~$25.
Smooths out acceleration and adds just a bit at the top end.
I don't have one, but those that do swear to the increased mpg's and mph's from a windscreen.
.::I know the voices in my head aren't real, but man do they come up with some great ideas::.
theralchico

Post by theralchico »

I should add I do have a windshield and the back rack with a basket (for my 12packs :D ). I've read about the variator and weights, but mostly on Dr Pulley website (i.e. with a grain of salt). Thanks!
lobsterman

Post by lobsterman »

I have a small windshield on my 06 Buddy 125 for the cold months, it seems to add a little to the top speed, but not enough to really call it a performance mod. Maybe 2 mph. Hard to say for sure without some scientific data, but experientially seems to be true every winter when I put it on. It's so slight I don't mind losing it when it's warmer because I like the feel of the wind.

I've installed the Dr. Pulley sliders and it's a little different in response and sound, but not faster for me on the top end that I can tell. The main reason I did it is I had 8000 miles on the scooter and it seemed like maybe they were due for replacement. The weights weren't really worn when I took them out, but by then the hard work was done and the sliders are pretty inexpensive.

I have not done the variator yet. Seems like a logical next step to me. The cyclinder kit also seems like a fairly attractive mod to me.
Kevin
AYPWIP?
claerion

Post by claerion »

http://www.voodoo-buddy.com/

Check that out. Pretty helpful
Kaos

Post by Kaos »

claerion wrote:http://www.voodoo-buddy.com/

Check that out. Pretty helpful
Which reminds me, I should REALLY do some updates there...
JHScoot

Post by JHScoot »

:mod: The High Numbers :mod:

sorry i couldn't help myself

carry on...
Riding is riding
chloefpuff

Post by chloefpuff »

The Faces.
so tough, so pink
Skootz Kabootz

Post by Skootz Kabootz »

There are a number of members who've found that dropping a few pounds was the best mod for their money with the greatest speed benefit, both top end off the line :P

"It's only fun if you live to talk about it." | Adventurists Scooter Group |
jasondavis48108

Post by jasondavis48108 »

Skootz Kabootz wrote:There are a number of members who've found that dropping a few pounds was the best mod for their money with the greatest speed benefit, both top end off the line :P
yeah, I figure dropping 25lb would do my 50cc scoot a whole lot more good than a bbk :lol:
"Only the curious have, if they live, a tale worth telling at all" Alastair Reid
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Skootz Kabootz wrote:There are a number of members who've found that dropping a few pounds was the best mod for their money with the greatest speed benefit, both top end off the line :P
Off the line, yes, but it may not have so much effect on top end. This is what I've been told by engineers and others with more math, physics and other relevant knowledge than I have. I'm taking their word for it, but it's not stopping me from losing weight. Or trying to at least.

(It probably has more benefit for those riding 50s!)
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
TVB

Post by TVB »

ericalm wrote:
Off the line, yes, but it may not have so much effect on top end. This is what I've been told by engineers and others with more math, physics and other relevant knowledge than I have.
Yeah, it's mostly a problem of acceleration: it takes more power (therefore more time) to get a 250lb rider from 0-30mph than a 150lb rider. But once the rider is moving, the difference in power required to keep it moving (due to wind resistance and other friction) is not dramatically different. So it isn't really a question of how fast your top speed is, but how fast you can reach that top speed.

However, weight does still have a bearing on top speed going up/downhill. The 250lb rider will go slower up hills (fighting gravity), and faster down hills (getting a boost from it). The boost going down hills isn't as big as the drag going up, for reasons which are left as a problem for the calculus students in the audience to solve (hint: delta-T is different).
(It probably has more benefit for those riding 50s!)
Yes, I'm sure it would. :(
Raiderfn311

Post by Raiderfn311 »

I have a 50cc 2 stroke, and I went from 170lbs to 150lbs. Nice difference in accel and top end. I look better too! Im going to buy a Buddy125 in November(Ill have the cash then), and when the warranty is out Ill upgrade it with a stage 2 kit from scooterworks. I cant wait til November! Ill ride cold!
The Edge....there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who truly know where it is have gone over. -Hunter S. Thompson
peabody99

Post by peabody99 »

If you must make a modification now, I vote for a medium windscreen. it won't impact your warranty and increases top speed and MPG. I am screenless now, but it made a difference when I had one. I am no expert but I always heard if high miles in years to come is your main goal, then avoid engine mods. That said, you can see here that many people have made lots of mods they are still going strong.