Shifting for a new Stella owner

The original 2-stroke Genuine scooter and its 4-stroke manual and automatic offspring

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

habib

Shifting for a new Stella owner

Post by habib »

First I searched the forums and found some tips and techniques that helped with shifting overall. I am just curious about what speeds it is ok to be in for certain gears. For example in my V6 truck I usually never go over 10mph in first and rarely ever go over 25-30 mph in 2nd and I never cruise at 30mph in 2nd.

On the Stella, which I love to death, it seems like cruising in 2nd at 25-30mph is inefficient and rough. Is this just something I should get use to being that the only other 2T bike I have had was a 49cc automatic moped? Or should I be in in 3rd when I am cruising at 30mph?

I have been listening to engine and feeling it out, I just want to make sure I am not damaging or inducing extra wear when I do not need to be.

If this has been covered and I missed it please link me and sink the thread. But any information or personal tips would greatly be appreciated.

Thanks;

habib

PS: I love my 09 Stella and I love the looks it gets when I am riding down the street. I may never drive may truck again. It is the most fun you can have with your pants on!
MOD MIKE

Post by MOD MIKE »

Well, again, you have to kind of get a feel for it. When I first started riding, sometimes I shifted just fine; other times I found myself popping wheelies. Now it comes natural, I go by the sound and the feel of the engine. I don't want it to lug; nor do I want it to rev too high. After a while, you won't even think about it. Just stay mellow and enjoy the ride. 8)
habib

Post by habib »

ok thanks, i figured as much. I am sure it will come with more time.
Halloweenie

Post by Halloweenie »

A stock Stella won't even allow you to rev very high, plus you should not be taking it to the red line while still breaking in.
226 Vintage Hot Wing, GGR Hot Reeds, Mazzy Race Cut Crank, P200 filter, 128 Main, BJ Stack, Trailtech CHT

AAA-O Anything, Anytime, Anywhere, Bar None
Lovelandstella

Post by Lovelandstella »

Halloweenie wrote:A stock Stella won't even allow you to rev very high, plus you should not be taking it to the red line while still breaking in.
yeah I agree- I am still under 500 miles so I am trying to get to high gear/low rpms asap- Even at 30 mph , where you like to cruise, habib. unless I need to quickly accelerate to get out of the way of something - in which case I down shift, to get higher torque (I think that's what happens when I down shift...).
Anyway, when riding I am gently shifting up and getting to low RPMs, so it can stay nice and easy for the 1st 1000 miles. then I'll be able to treat her a little rougher.
- or in my case, someone else will be able to treat her a little rougher, since I hope to get my 4T before I reach 1000 miles on my '09. but that's all I'll say about that.

P.s. my stella doesn't have a tach-o-meter :wink:, I assume the red line Halloweenie referred to is another "you gotta feel it" thing. Unless someone found an "add a tachometer" mod in which case: WANT :shock: .
~Lovelandstella
----------------------------------------
Halloweenie

Post by Halloweenie »

I use a Trailtech tach, only about $30, it just does not look the best since it is digital.
226 Vintage Hot Wing, GGR Hot Reeds, Mazzy Race Cut Crank, P200 filter, 128 Main, BJ Stack, Trailtech CHT

AAA-O Anything, Anytime, Anywhere, Bar None
jmkjr72

Post by jmkjr72 »

heck i go thru 25 mph zones in 4th at an idel so o dont make too much noise but yet do 50 in third on the country roads

when i was stock i would shift about 15 then about 25 then about 35

you just gota ride and get the feel and the sound of the engine where she is happy
Last edited by jmkjr72 on Wed Mar 02, 2011 1:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
z 2008 zuma 50
olive 2008 setlla
1979 tomos
Silver Streak

Post by Silver Streak »

jmkjr72 wrote:
when i was stock i would shit about 15 then about 25 then about 35
If I ever get invited to ride cupcake on your scoot, remind me to bring some baby wipes! :P
Dave

www.glyphukulele.com

"You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice."
Lovelandstella

Post by Lovelandstella »

Halloweenie wrote:I use a Trailtech tach, only about $30, it just does not look the best since it is digital.
i was actualy just reading about that! :D
@jmkjr72 I think you meant "Shift" :rofl:
~Lovelandstella
jmkjr72

Post by jmkjr72 »

yeah i got to clean the keyboard again i didnt even realize the f didnt work

heck isnt there a word filter on here to catch them words
z 2008 zuma 50
olive 2008 setlla
1979 tomos
cmac

Post by cmac »

Listen for the engine? You will be able to get the feel of it if you spend the time just riding a lot, that's the best advice I can give.

But these are the speeds I usually shift at.
1st - about 5mph haha
2nd - up to 20mph
3rd - up to 30mph
4th - the rest
dwayneed

Post by dwayneed »

Wow, what is Loveland 9000 feet? You would think the 2 stroke would be a better choice climbing around those mountains..
Lovelandstella wrote:
Halloweenie wrote:A stock Stella won't even allow you to rev very high, plus you should not be taking it to the red line while still breaking in.
yeah I agree- I am still under 500 miles so I am trying to get to high gear/low rpms asap- Even at 30 mph , where you like to cruise, habib. unless I need to quickly accelerate to get out of the way of something - in which case I down shift, to get higher torque (I think that's what happens when I down shift...).
Anyway, when riding I am gently shifting up and getting to low RPMs, so it can stay nice and easy for the 1st 1000 miles. then I'll be able to treat her a little rougher.
- or in my case, someone else will be able to treat her a little rougher, since I hope to get my 4T before I reach 1000 miles on my '09. but that's all I'll say about that.

P.s. my stella doesn't have a tach-o-meter :wink:, I assume the red line Halloweenie referred to is another "you gotta feel it" thing. Unless someone found an "add a tachometer" mod in which case: WANT :shock: .
Midnight Drifter

Post by Midnight Drifter »

My experience with 2Ts have been on dirt bikes with engines set up purely for making maximum power (as opposed to making a lot of power at a wider rpm range) so take this following information with a grain of salt;

When you're on flat ground in a straight line, pick the tallest gear you can. Going by the Chetak's gear ratios, 3rd is good for moping along at 30. But if you need to -accelerate- in a hurry, downshift to 2nd and rev the living snot out of that bandit! 2 strokes make max power at high rpm, so when climbing grades and accelerating, your best bet is to bring it to redline eac and every time. I believe the Stella's redline is around 9,500 but don't quote me; I'd be surprised if it was lower than that. 2STs love revs.
Lovelandstella

Post by Lovelandstella »

dwayneed wrote:Wow, what is Loveland 9000 feet? You would think the 2 stroke would be a better choice climbing around those mountains..
Lovelans Ski area might be - but I live in Loveland the town.
Elevation 4,982 ft
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loveland,_Colorado

But still for the nearby Rockies and all the trips I'd Like to take, it looks like the EFI (someday) would really help a lot.
~Lovelandstella
Lovelandstella

Post by Lovelandstella »

Lovelandstella wrote:
dwayneed wrote:...You would think the 2 stroke would be a better choice climbing around those mountains..
...for the nearby Rockies and all the trips I'd Like to take, it looks like the EFI (someday) would really help a lot.

Finally found it, the Colorado Rockies trip I'd like to take; I knew I'd read about it somewhere on this site before.
Here is a very well documented Stella 2 Stroke journey on "Trail Ridge road is the highest paved through-route in the United States, with a peak elevation of 12,183 feet."
topic15465.html (with pics!:D)
I mentioned the possibility of an EFI working better, as, if you read Anachronism's awesome post, the change in elevation (and thus oxygen) made for significant loss of power. I hope that'd be eliminated with fuel injection.
~Lovelandstella
Silver Streak

Post by Silver Streak »

Lovelandstella wrote: Finally found it, the Colorado Rockies trip I'd like to take; I knew I'd read about it somewhere on this site before.
Here is a very well documented Stella 2 Stroke journey on "Trail Ridge road is the highest paved through-route in the United States, with a peak elevation of 12,183 feet."
topic15465.html (with pics!:D)
I mentioned the possibility of an EFI working better, as, if you read Anachronism's awesome post, the change in elevation (and thus oxygen) made for significant loss of power. I hope that'd be eliminated with fuel injection.
While EFI will help keep the air/fuel mixture optimal at altitude, there will still be less energy in the cylinder charge on each stroke and a significant decline in power at very high altitudes, just not as bad as with a carb that has not been appropriately re-jetted for the altitude.
Dave

www.glyphukulele.com

"You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice."
laxer

Post by laxer »

Bump! Hey y'all, so I have a little experience on dirtbikes, but the twist shift on the Stellas and vintage scoots is another animal. I've seen some used 2T Stellas on sale around where I live, but I don't feel confident taking them for a spin to see if they're mechanically sound and ride well because I'm not confident taking out a bike that's not mine when I'm not used to the twist shift, any advice on what I can do?
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

laxer wrote:Bump! Hey y'all, so I have a little experience on dirtbikes, but the twist shift on the Stellas and vintage scoots is another animal. I've seen some used 2T Stellas on sale around where I live, but I don't feel confident taking them for a spin to see if they're mechanically sound and ride well because I'm not confident taking out a bike that's not mine when I'm not used to the twist shift, any advice on what I can do?
Ride alongside as the seller rides it?
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
Blackshirt

Post by Blackshirt »

I'm gonna necropost this for a minute. I've heard that 2t engines much prefer high RPMs to low. It this the case? Most of my daily riding is done right around 30-35mph. I tend to ride in 3rd gear with the engine screaming at me rather than putting along in 4th with rpms down low. Is this a good idea? I'm also up and down through the gears quite often due to traffic lights so it saves me some wear and tear on the clutch too.
polianarchy

Post by polianarchy »

Necropost! Love that neologism.

The best advice I've heard is vary your RPMs. I'm very much still a n00b though, so I wonder what else folks will say.

Have you read the Gentle Art Of Shifting? It's awesome and I love it. http://bajajusa.com/Gentle%20art%20of%20shifting.htm
ModBud #442
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

Blackshirt wrote:I'm gonna necropost this for a minute. I've heard that 2t engines much prefer high RPMs to low. It this the case? Most of my daily riding is done right around 30-35mph. I tend to ride in 3rd gear with the engine screaming at me rather than putting along in 4th with rpms down low. Is this a good idea? I'm also up and down through the gears quite often due to traffic lights so it saves me some wear and tear on the clutch too.
The rpms that a motor "prefers" depends on many variables. How many miles are on it, what plug are you running, how is it jetted,,etc etc etc.

2t motors can run at higher rpms than 4T motors mainly because there is basically a lot less going on. No valves, no cam, no timing chain etc...

If modified it depends on what kitI. Malossi kits love to scream at high rpm! Other kits perform better at lower rpms.

One thing that is common though is that you don't want to run for very long at low rpms lugging the motor. This will cause it to heat up and all sorts of bad things happen then.

Wear on the clutch is really the least thing to be concerned about. Even if you manage to wear it out...which takes quite a bit of work to do... a rebuild kit is like $30.

Someone mentioned double clutching. I can't see how this makes any difference on a Vespa based transmission. Keep in mind that a 2T Stella has a basic basic basic basic transmission system. Unlike a manual car transmission, especially the presynchro ones, there really isnt anything to "spin up" by double clutching.

If your at a light and having trouble getting into first rock back and forth a little. That helps take the pressure off the cruciform and allows it to slide into the 1st gear position giving you that oh so pleasing "clunk"!
"Things fall apart - it's scientific" - David Byrne
www.teamscootertrash.com

'06 Cream Buddy 125, 11 Blur 220, 13 BMW C 650 GT, 68 Vespa SS180, 64 Vespa GS MK II, 65 Lambretta TV 175, 67 Vespa GT, 64 Vespa 150 VBB 64 Vespa GL