Buddy 170, BlackJack, Stella 4T, etc. news

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

ericalm
Site Admin

Buddy 170, BlackJack, Stella 4T, etc. news

Post by ericalm »

Here's what I've culled from some very reliable sources. Some of this has been posted, but I've done my best to verify the information.

Stocks of BlackJacks are very low. As in "these will disappear from dealers soon and there aren't many to replace them" low. If you want a BlackJack, better get on it now.

Stella 2Ts are not as low as BlackJacks but sure to be gone by end of year.

Stella 4Ts are in the US and shipping (from Chicago) to dealers very soon. As in "I better get my long, comprehensive review finished and posted" soon. They should start arriving within the next week or two depending on location.

No arrival date on the Buddy 170s yet, but Genuine is reportedly working out the scheduling for these and will make an announcement soon. As we guessed, they're not announcing them until some of these details are worked out. I know scooterists are terribly impatient, but there's no use kvetching about this because if they announced them prematurely, we'd just be griping about that.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
Rippinyarn

Post by Rippinyarn »

Here's some complimentary info from Dealer Expo - less on the dates and more on the company info side (i.e. all I could pry out of Philip and Trey).
I'm glad to hear that the Stellas are in-country, and can't wait to see some get stocked locally.

http://www.examiner.com/scooter-in-detr ... er-company

All in all, it's a great time to be a scooterist.
Rovers SC
Check out the latest at scooterfile.com
superseagulls

Post by superseagulls »

Thanks for the news!
Are the first lot sold out? I'm guessing a few buyers may have thrown in the towel, what do you think my chances of getting a cream 4T are?
bgwss

Post by bgwss »

Thank you for the update. :D
pdxrita

Post by pdxrita »

I'd suggest contacting Vespa Portland and letting them know you want this. They might still be in a position to include one in their order. Then again, they've got so much old stock crammed in the backroom, that they might be taking a pass on the new scoots. Just pondering out loud... give them a call.
superseagulls wrote:Thanks for the news!
Are the first lot sold out? I'm guessing a few buyers may have thrown in the towel, what do you think my chances of getting a cream 4T are?
Skootz Kabootz

Post by Skootz Kabootz »

Jeeze, why spoil all the rumor with facts? Rumor abhors a vacuum.

[ Genuine sportbike ]

"It's only fun if you live to talk about it." | Adventurists Scooter Group |
Lovelandstella

Post by Lovelandstella »

Rippinyarn wrote:Here's some complimentary info from Dealer Expo - ...http://www.examiner.com/scooter-in-detr ... pany...All in all, it's a great time to be a scooterist.
this.is.awesome!
quick photo comments:
the Yellow Stella is much brighter than I remember, more"american mustard" than "dijon".
OMG that gren buddy is Gorgeous
:rofl: the drop of glue! the sticker! :clap:
thanks for all of this ! :D
~Lovelandstella
----------------------------------------
Stormswift

Post by Stormswift »

Skootz Kabootz wrote:Jeeze, why spoil all the rumor with facts? Rumor abhors a vacuum.

[ Genuine sportbike ]
:rofl:
I am not a scooter snob.
I am a scooter connoisseur
GrittyTacoman

Post by GrittyTacoman »

Great info from Eric and the Yarnster! I needed something to tear my attention away from the latest Charlie Sheen happenings.

Looks like Genuine will be Winning this year, what with their tiger blood and Adonis DNA.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

GrittyTacoman wrote:Looks like Genuine will be Winning this year, what with their tiger blood and Adonis DNA.
:fp:
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
dwayneed

Post by dwayneed »

Wow, I love that yellow on the Stella.... not interested in the 4T tho. Why couldn't they do one more year of the 2T? :cry:
Silver Streak

Post by Silver Streak »

Red 4T Stella on the way... Whoot!

Dealer hasn't called me yet, though.
Dave

www.glyphukulele.com

"You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice."
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

dwayneed wrote:Wow, I love that yellow on the Stella.... not interested in the 4T tho. Why couldn't they do one more year of the 2T? :cry:
LML isn't going to be making them anymore. They won't pass emissions in most countries at this point.
BuddyLicious

Post by BuddyLicious »

dwayneed wrote:Wow, I love that yellow on the Stella.... not interested in the 4T tho. Why couldn't they do one more year of the 2T? :cry:
Actually there is the option of painting your 2T yellow. :D
Aerosmith, None Other.
Rippinyarn

Post by Rippinyarn »

The Dijon yellow is almost orange and is amazing! The Buddy Oxford green is more of an evergreen, but it's particularly difficult to photograph to get the true color, especially under the glare of the lights at the Indy convention center. I just can't wait to ride 'em both... I fully expect the Buddy to set a new standard in affordable performance "for the rest of us".
Rovers SC
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Dealers are reporting that the Stellas have shipped and are en route.
TVB

Post by TVB »

I, for one, welcome our new four-stroke overlords!
dwayneed

Post by dwayneed »

Yeah I know :) I didn't really like any of the 2T Stella colors, didn't hate em either... I would have chosen that creme or yellow over the red without a doubt!
The Stella 2T going out of production is actually a big deal, it's the last of the mighty 2 stroke classics. The 2 stroke was and still is a huge part of the scooter scene worldwide. I am glad the 4T is here though, something that looks classic needs to exist.. and it probably is more user friendly and reliable in the long run.. I'm risking a hijack here... hehe.
ericalm wrote:
LML isn't going to be making them anymore. They won't pass emissions in most countries at this point.
cheez37

Post by cheez37 »

dwayneed wrote:Yeah I know :)...The Stella 2T going out of production is actually a big deal, it's the last of the mighty 2 stroke classics. The 2 stroke was and still is a huge part of the scooter scene worldwide...
I'm not trying to be a jerk, just being curious, but where are 2Ts still a big part of the scooter scene? I had assumed that I would see a bunch of them in Viet Nam when I was there, but there are almost none on the roads. The only ones you see are a very limited amount of vintage Vespas. My wife said that they haven't been sold in VN for a while.
Wheelz

Post by Wheelz »

most of your "vintage" scoots are 2t's not to mention most 50's, and let us not forget the small (too small for Genuine :cry: ) part of the community that rides Rat 110's.
"Hey You, yeah, all you'se thoughts, specially you, creepy wierd one in the corner, Screw you guys, I'm going for a ride..."
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

cheez37 wrote:
dwayneed wrote:Yeah I know :)...The Stella 2T going out of production is actually a big deal, it's the last of the mighty 2 stroke classics. The 2 stroke was and still is a huge part of the scooter scene worldwide...
I'm not trying to be a jerk, just being curious, but where are 2Ts still a big part of the scooter scene? I had assumed that I would see a bunch of them in Viet Nam when I was there, but there are almost none on the roads. The only ones you see are a very limited amount of vintage Vespas. My wife said that they haven't been sold in VN for a while.
By "scene," I think dwayneed is talking about scooter enthusiasts, vintage clubs and so on, not the more practical riders, commuters, or general sales. Almost anyone interested in scooters built before the late '90s is going to be into 2Ts.
Scalpel

Post by Scalpel »

Skootz Kabootz wrote: [ Genuine sportbike ]
[ Genuine Blur 220i ]

:wink:
Author of <a href="http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthre ... 10921">The International Donut Debacle</A>
Lovelandstella

Post by Lovelandstella »

ericalm wrote:Dealers are reporting that the Stellas have shipped and are en route.
:D
~Lovelandstella
----------------------------------------
laxer

Post by laxer »

Man, no more Rattlers (2T), no more 2T Stella, I guess there's just no room in this gentle world for violent giants like us... :cry:
Rippinyarn

Post by Rippinyarn »

laxer wrote:Man, no more Rattlers (2T), no more 2T Stella, I guess there's just no room in this gentle world for violent giants like us... :cry:
And yet they will live forever, thanks to simple rebuilds and a great little thing called nostalgia. I hope to never be without at least one 2t scoot.
Rovers SC
jmkjr72

Post by jmkjr72 »

even 50cc 2 strokes are dieing off
honda doesnt offer them any more neither does kymco (i belive what they have are set to die off) i think the sym 50s are 4 stroke

so yeah the 2 stroke will be left for those of us who can wrench and want to wrench
z 2008 zuma 50
olive 2008 setlla
1979 tomos
Rippinyarn

Post by Rippinyarn »

My local Genuine dealer (and where I bought my Blur - David Corneille of Blackbeard Powersports) wrote me to say that he can now order the new Stella 4t and get it in a few days. He also still has that sweet red one (2t) that is the last of his Mohicans. I'm also proud to say that he is dumping Rocketta as the number of dissatisfied customers was both significant and ever increasing.
Rovers SC
Smiley13

the genuine i series

Post by Smiley13 »

I went to my local scooter shop yesterday to pick up a part. I walked in and saw the blur 220i as the norm the body styling was beautiful. I asked the tuner if these fuel injected scooter were able to tune? His response was that like the zuma 125i is able to tune the fuel injector to work at top performence with a simple computer program and able to add a pipe etc. The genuine series will not be able to do this too. Well at least the computer program tunning aspect. He wasn't sure yet if a pipe could be put on it. This makes me wonder why genuine didn't do the same thing like the zuma 125i. I would think it would give a scooter heads more of a reason to pick one of these sexy things up. I think till that is changed I will be sticking to a Carb set up. I have seen what a Computer program adjustment can do to the perfomence of a Zuma 125i. Man they scream after this process. You can add a pipe and of course the trans upgrades as well. Still a great idea but needs to be thought thru at least before I would invest in one.
Smiley
BuddyLicious

Post by BuddyLicious »

Rippinyarn wrote:My local Genuine dealer (and where I bought my Blur - David Corneille of Blackbeard Powersports) wrote me to say that he can now order the new Stella 4t and get it in a few days. He also still has that sweet red one (2t) that is the last of his Mohicans. I'm also proud to say that he is dumping Rocketta as the number of dissatisfied customers was both significant and ever increasing.
A few days,that means their here in Chicago US! Holy Mother Of ***, that's awesome news.Please hurry up and get yu one so we can get all the latest and greatest info. :D :D
Aerosmith, None Other.
pugbuddy

Post by pugbuddy »

So has anyone found a top case in "British Racing Green" yet? I'm looking around but may have to go with White, I guess....

Gotta dig up that old top case thread we had going a while back. I seem to recall most people thought Shad was very well made and a good fit for Genuine scoots.... 8)
Robert Wayne Henderson (May 16, 1932 - July 28, 2009).
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

BuddyLicious wrote:
Rippinyarn wrote:My local Genuine dealer (and where I bought my Blur - David Corneille of Blackbeard Powersports) wrote me to say that he can now order the new Stella 4t and get it in a few days. He also still has that sweet red one (2t) that is the last of his Mohicans. I'm also proud to say that he is dumping Rocketta as the number of dissatisfied customers was both significant and ever increasing.
A few days,that means their here in Chicago US! Holy Mother Of ***, that's awesome news.Please hurry up and get yu one so we can get all the latest and greatest info. :D :D
Yes, they're in Chicago but the bulk of them may have shipped. Some CA dealers are expecting them as early as mid next week.
pugbuddy

Post by pugbuddy »

Wow, having trouble finding even the Shad SH 33 top case in White! Odd that you cannot order off their website....
Robert Wayne Henderson (May 16, 1932 - July 28, 2009).
Rippinyarn

Post by Rippinyarn »

Scooterworks is posting pics of the uncrating of an avocado Stella with a tan seat on their Facebook page. And it's killing me.
Rovers SC
KRUSTYburger

Post by KRUSTYburger »

Aw man, if there's any modern scooter I would trade my p200 for, it would be a cream Stella 4T! 8)
I bet the dealer by house (only place in town that carries Genuine), won't have any.
Mulliganal

Post by Mulliganal »

Buddy 170, BlackJack and Stella 4T, these are the 3 I'm also considering.

Can anyone guess how the Buddy 170 would stack up against the BlackJack? My dealer has a BlackJack in stock but I'm not sure I want that one or want to get on the waiting list for the Buddy 170, or just grab the cream Stella 4T he currently has in stock.
dwayneed

Post by dwayneed »

Well, I think it would be hard to find anyone that didn't love the Black Jack. It is really hard not to love any of the Buddy models. The main difference with the 170 is the fuel injection. I don't recall ever thinking, "Man I wish I had fuel injection.." while owning my Black Jack.

I am currently in love with the creme color 4T Stella, and definitely prefer the shifting for fun riding. I LOVE my 2T Stella, I think I am addicted to that 2 stroke buzz... the ride is definitely different and more engaging.

Again though, the Buddy makes more sense for most scooting...
Mulliganal wrote:Buddy 170, BlackJack and Stella 4T, these are the 3 I'm also considering.

Can anyone guess how the Buddy 170 would stack up against the BlackJack? My dealer has a BlackJack in stock but I'm not sure I want that one or want to get on the waiting list for the Buddy 170, or just grab the cream Stella 4T he currently has in stock.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Mulliganal wrote:Buddy 170, BlackJack and Stella 4T, these are the 3 I'm also considering.

The 170 will almost undoubtably be faster; we just don't know how much yet. The other performance options on the BlackJack are pretty nice though, especially the rear shocks. Personally, I prefer the BlackJack seat to the stock Buddy seat but not everyone feels that way.

The other factor is that we have no indication of when the Buddy 170 is landing at dealers, so it may mean having to be patient.
Mulliganal

Post by Mulliganal »

ericalm wrote:

The 170 will almost undoubtably be faster; we just don't know how much yet. The other performance options on the BlackJack are pretty nice though, especially the rear shocks. Personally, I prefer the BlackJack seat to the stock Buddy seat but not everyone feels that way.

The other factor is that we have no indication of when the Buddy 170 is landing at dealers, so it may mean having to be patient.
I went to the dealer today and now I'm leaning towards the Stella 4T or the Buddy Black Jack. I really want something in black (I like the chrome accessories with the black, very cool) and so far none of the Buddy 170 colors have grown on me. I'd like it if the 170 came in black.

The dealer has the Stella 2T at $3199 which is kinda catching my eye also, I just don't know the pros and cons of the 4T vs the 2T and if the 4T is worth an additional $600. That cream colored 4T sure is sweet though.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Mulliganal wrote:The dealer has the Stella 2T at $3199 which is kinda catching my eye also, I just don't know the pros and cons of the 4T vs the 2T and if the 4T is worth an additional $600. That cream colored 4T sure is sweet though.
The 4T has a newer engine design, better gas mileage and lower emissions. The 2T is a longstanding engine design that's highly compatible with parts for Vespa P-series scooters. The only reason it's going away is that the emissions are worse.
laxer

Post by laxer »

Ok, 4T delivered, 170 on the way, let's finally get some pics n' things of the super-secret cruiser!
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Want want want, more more more… :P
huskerchic

Stella/170s

Post by huskerchic »

I spoke with Colin at Sportique in Englewood, CO and they have a cream Stella 4T set to arrive any day, and there is a red 4T at the Springs store. He's not sure when the 170s are shipping, but as soon as they arrive, he said the photos will be on there FB page.
KRUSTYburger

Post by KRUSTYburger »

ericalm wrote:Want want want, more more more… :P
LOL

GIMME, GIMME! I NEED, I NEEEEEED!!!