discussed before

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

yeauxkneauxit

discussed before

Post by yeauxkneauxit »

Scooter dies out a lot recently. Of course I'm riding daily now. BUT, the whole vapor lock thing...its been discussed. The other day, I had to stop about 5 times. This morning, it stalled and quit on me once. Luckily, I was riding and trying to start it and it came back up. Just a tad down the road and again. Was able to pull off open the gas tank. Start it up and off I went.

2008 Black 125. Any ideas? Oh and by the way, today 3k miles. I know its not much....but hey, I'm on my way. I'm due for a service so I plan on going this weekend.

Thank you in advance
Tocsik

Post by Tocsik »

Is your gas cap vented? If not, that's the first step. You can do it yourself or your dealer will probably swap for a vented one or drill it for you.
.::I know the voices in my head aren't real, but man do they come up with some great ideas::.
Hellvis

Post by Hellvis »

did you ever top off when you filled gas? Even if you lifted the cap, there might be some gas left in the line? You might have to pull the recovery line off and remove all the excess gas that is in there.
Live long and prosper.
Tocsik

Post by Tocsik »

I technically "overfill" all the time, have never cleaned out my overflow line or charcoal canister and have not had a vapor lock-type issue since drilling my gas cap. 18,000 miles in temps ranging from the low 20's to the low 100's.

When I say technically overfill, I frequently fill it to the brim. Not always on purpose. :wink:
.::I know the voices in my head aren't real, but man do they come up with some great ideas::.
yeauxkneauxit

Post by yeauxkneauxit »

Just seems odd. I don't go over the metal ring inside, but my issue has been more of lower gas when this happens (Not empty)
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

You can vapor lock it with less than a full tank, it's just most likely to happen when full.

Also, once it's vapor locked, it'll stall repeatedly unless you run it for a long time or just tide with the cap off for a while.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
Chilly

Post by Chilly »

I had issues after i bought my used buddy, after overfilling but not until the gas was 1/4 full, then it began stalling. My friend explained this would be the most common scenerio, though the oroblem begans from overfilling it is actually a bigger problem with a lower tank.
Anyway I drilled, problem solved.
yeauxkneauxit

Post by yeauxkneauxit »

thanks for the feedback and clarity. leaving the cap off for a min corrects this. i'll bring this up to my service guys and see if they can make the recommendations as you suggest.

odd question. if i drill a small hole in the gas cap, does this not allow gas vapors to leak out though and leave me with a gas smell? i think the pet carrier would be sealed from this.
yeauxkneauxit

Post by yeauxkneauxit »

Getting the carb cleaned out! My scoot did sit a lot during the winter w/o running. Next season -seafoam will be a must
yeauxkneauxit

Post by yeauxkneauxit »

As always - end user error
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

yeauxkneauxit wrote:odd question. if i drill a small hole in the gas cap, does this not allow gas vapors to leak out though and leave me with a gas smell? i think the pet carrier would be sealed from this.
Not that I've noticed and not any more than you'd have exhaust or other smells in there. There's definitely not a noticeable residual smell on stuff stored in there (in my experience). Anyone else?
yeauxkneauxit wrote:Getting the carb cleaned out! My scoot did sit a lot during the winter w/o running. Next season -seafoam will be a must
Stabil is best for storage. Seafoam is good for cleaning. :)
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…