Racing Fuel

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Raiderfn31

Racing Fuel

Post by Raiderfn31 »

My corner gas station has started selling 100 octance racing fuel. Im just wondering if it can hurt an engine, is no better that 92-93 or what. Just curious. And BTW it was 6.99/gal, so that throws saving $ on scooting out the door a bit.
"When your lawyer looks at you like you deserve whats coming, you may begin to sweat."
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Post by jrsjr »

Go to the second page of this thread and read pocphil's post about octane. The short answer to your question is, "no." Poc phil explains why in that thread.
jasondavis48108

Post by jasondavis48108 »

It would just be a waste of money unless you have some serious mods that have really bumped up your compression. I've ran 87, 89, and 91 in both my scoots and never noticed any difference except for how much it cost me to fill up.
"Only the curious have, if they live, a tale worth telling at all" Alastair Reid
Raiderfn31

Post by Raiderfn31 »

yeah, I just read another thread and Im starting to regret Ive started this one! I will stay with premium in my 50 2t though....if it makes you sleep at night as they say
"When your lawyer looks at you like you deserve whats coming, you may begin to sweat."
gtmotor

Post by gtmotor »

Agree with what was posted before me. You'll likely feel a power loss on 100 octane.

Put what the manufacturer suggests in it. I have no problem zinging my high-compression 4-cylinder Honda engine past 14,000 rpm on the cheap 87 octane :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_q25dyKUikQ
Howardr

Post by Howardr »

Nice acceleration there, GT. Is your speedo in MPH? 130? Really? Wheeee!
Iron Butt Association Member Number 42256
Club - The Sky Island Riders.
Publisher: The Scooter 'Zine thescooterzine.com
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

If your not running high compression (I have no idea what yours is) higher octane is only going to hurt. You will also be running hotter, never a good thing.
"Things fall apart - it's scientific" - David Byrne
www.teamscootertrash.com

'06 Cream Buddy 125, 11 Blur 220, 13 BMW C 650 GT, 68 Vespa SS180, 64 Vespa GS MK II, 65 Lambretta TV 175, 67 Vespa GT, 64 Vespa 150 VBB 64 Vespa GL
jmkjr72

Post by jmkjr72 »

if its 100 octane race fuel like we get here

i wouldnt use it it has diffrent stuff in it compared to reqular gas
and im willing to bet it has lead also
z 2008 zuma 50
olive 2008 setlla
1979 tomos
gtmotor

Post by gtmotor »

Howardr wrote:Nice acceleration there, GT. Is your speedo in MPH? 130? Really? Wheeee!
Yep... 110 horsepower on a 380 lb bike will get you to 155 mph or so ;) Speed is all a matter of perspective. A lot of the sport bike guys often make fun of my "girly" bike since it's so slow. The whole mine-is-bigger-than-yours attitude is one of the reasons why I got into scooters. Scooterists have a totally different mentality and it's quite refreshing.

Here's some real acceleration...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ifrk6JeCafo

Pulling a power wheelie till around 138 mph is some good, clean fun :lol:
jasondavis48108

Post by jasondavis48108 »

gtmotor wrote:Speed is all a matter of perspective.
So true, I thought my Buddy 50 was fast at 40mph since I didn't have to pedal really ahrd downhill to get there :lol: Then when I started to mod it and got it up to 49mph woot! It was super fast, although it takes about 60 seconds to get there :lol: Then I got the sh150 and it will top out at 68-70mph holy crap, super speed :lol:

My stduents are always telling me I need a hayabusa but there is no way in hell I'd get on one of those, way, way, too fast for me.
"Only the curious have, if they live, a tale worth telling at all" Alastair Reid
babblefish

Post by babblefish »

Yeah, 100 octane gas in a scooter is a total waste of time and money, but my '66 Mustang with 11:1 compression would sure love it... :atgatt:
Some people can break a crowbar in a sandbox.
jmkjr72

Post by jmkjr72 »

babblefish wrote:Yeah, 100 octane gas in a scooter is a total waste of time and money, but my '66 Mustang with 11:1 compression would sure love it... :atgatt:
try 14:1 on my 75 firebird with a 68 trans am race series 302
i used to go to the airport and get 110 av gas
z 2008 zuma 50
olive 2008 setlla
1979 tomos
bigbropgo

Post by bigbropgo »

:lol: just pull em out and get it over with :lol: (just playin)
no i don't ride a scooter, i am a scooter pilot!
VICTUS MORTUUS VENATOR
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Post by jrsjr »

babblefish wrote:Yeah, 100 octane gas in a scooter is a total waste of time and money, but my '66 Mustang with 11:1 compression would sure love it... :atgatt:
I know this is real old skool hot-rodder stuff, but has anybody tried shaving the heads on their Buddy to bump up the compression ratio (and hence the need for higher octane gas) in search of more power?
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

jrsjr wrote:
I know this is real old skool hot-rodder stuff, but has anybody tried shaving the heads on their Buddy to bump up the compression ratio (and hence the need for higher octane gas) in search of more power?
Not that I know of...but not uncommon in 2T tuning. I wonder how much the stock cranks can handle?
"Things fall apart - it's scientific" - David Byrne
www.teamscootertrash.com

'06 Cream Buddy 125, 11 Blur 220, 13 BMW C 650 GT, 68 Vespa SS180, 64 Vespa GS MK II, 65 Lambretta TV 175, 67 Vespa GT, 64 Vespa 150 VBB 64 Vespa GL
Syd

Post by Syd »

Thanks for asking that, John. I've wondered the same thing, once in a while, but have never asked why people look around for different heads for different reasons, but no one has ever talked about shaving or milling their heads.

Maybe the question belongs in the Helmet Head thread?
The majority is always sane - Nessus
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Post by jrsjr »

Syd wrote:Thanks for asking that, John. I've wondered the same thing, once in a while, but have never asked why people look around for different heads for different reasons, but no one has ever talked about shaving or milling their heads.

Maybe the question belongs in the Helmet Head thread?
If none of the bubuvoodoo practitioners come along soon, we'll run the flag up the pole in a separate thread.
Silver Streak

Post by Silver Streak »

My kitted Vespa LX150 with 11.5:1 compression is perfectly happy with 93 octane.
Dave

www.glyphukulele.com

"You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice."
babblefish

Post by babblefish »

jrsjr wrote:
Interesting idea. It should work. Since the stock piston does not have valve pockets, one would have to be careful to not take too much off the head or else the valve(s) might run into the piston. The stock timing chain tensioner should be able to handle the slack and a valve adjustment will probably be neccessary. Any volunteers? I'd do it, but I'm already in the middle of a complete engine rebuild with non-stock head, cam, cylinder and crank so my results would be completely nonsequitur.

Edit: Brain fart alert! My mistake, the stock piston does have valve pockets (I just looked). Still, it would be a good idea to check piston-to-valve clearance after shaving the head.
Last edited by babblefish on Tue Apr 19, 2011 5:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
babblefish

Post by babblefish »

Silver Streak wrote:
My kitted Vespa LX150 with 11.5:1 compression is perfectly happy with 93 octane.
Wish I could get 93 octane around here. The premium around these parts is 89...and it's got alcohol in it.
Kaos

Post by Kaos »

jrsjr wrote:
I looked into it, but with my 4mm dometop piston I didn't have enough clearance. Though having a dometop piston means I already have some super high compression.