Los angeles to houston route tips

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

umekoshungi

Los angeles to houston route tips

Post by umekoshungi »

I'm going to Houston tx in a week on my buddy 125, and was wondering if anyone had any tips for the trip. I'm hoping someone knows of a great scenic route on the way, a great place to camp, or even an awesome diner. I'll be planning my route next friday, heading out tuesday weather permitting. thanks!
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

You might want to read some of the blogs and MB posts by Alix B when she did her 22,000 mile ride around the US on a Buddy 125. Some great observations about routes and long distance riding on a small frame scooter (including through the SW).

http://www.peacescooter.com/
BootScootin'FireFighter

Post by BootScootin'FireFighter »

Hoover Dam, make a great picture and then the Grand Canyon. Not the most direct route if you're in a time crunch. Shiprock, NM and the 4 corners are another great photo op.
Skootz Kabootz

Post by Skootz Kabootz »

If you want to have some fun, here's the LA to New Orleans route ridden by Capt. America and Billy in the film Easy Rider. You'd have to head south before you got to NO but it would be a great ride!

<iframe width="425" height="350" frameborder="0" scrolling="no" marginheight="0" marginwidth="0" src="http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&saddr=b ... "></iframe>

View Larger Map

"It's only fun if you live to talk about it." | Adventurists Scooter Group |
TVB

Post by TVB »

Skootz Kabootz wrote:If you want to have some fun, here's the LA to New Orleans route ridden by Capt. America and Billy in the film Easy Rider. You'd have to head south before you got to NO but it would be a great ride!
It's OK to pick up hitchhiking hippies, but if you run into Jack Nicholson, don't give him a ride; it will just end in tragedy.
iMoses

Re: Los angeles to houston route tips

Post by iMoses »

umekoshungi wrote:I'm going to Houston tx in a week on my buddy 125,
Say HELLO to my family will you???

Good luck on your trip, ride safe.
umekoshungi

Post by umekoshungi »

The grand canyon is def. on my list! I hadn't even thought of going to four corners, and now it's on my list too! I'm considering dropping south through NM to drop by roswell, just for kicks, but If I find other things on the North side of NM I wouldn't mind skipping it... I'm told that sedona is really very beautiful. I'm planning on going to the petrified forest and seeing the painted desert too.

what's in shiprock? A rock that looks like a ship? If so, I'm totally headed through there.

I've got 2 weeks set aside to get there so I'm not too worried about taking a crazy route, I just want to make sure that when i get to my destination, I experienced things on the way. It's not about the destination anyway. It's about the ride.

I'm considering parts of the easy rider route, thinking I'll use it as a base and just make changes as necessary for my sight seeing. btw, If jack nicholson is hitchhiking, i'm def. gonna pick him up.

I've been checking out alix's Peace ride- Very cool thing she did. Can't believe I hadn't heard about it sooner. Gotta read the blog- gonna be a long night :)

Thanks, and keep 'em coming!
Skootz Kabootz

Post by Skootz Kabootz »

TVB wrote:
Skootz Kabootz wrote:If you want to have some fun, here's the LA to New Orleans route ridden by Capt. America and Billy in the film Easy Rider. You'd have to head south before you got to NO but it would be a great ride!
It's OK to pick up hitchhiking hippies, but if you run into Jack Nicholson, don't give him a ride; it will just end in tragedy.
Hysterical. I always knew deep down Billy was a Buddy man. :)

TVB

Post by TVB »

umekoshungi wrote:what's in shiprock? A rock that looks like a ship? If so, I'm totally headed through there.
I'm guessing it's a ship that looks like a rock.
Howardr

Post by Howardr »

Make sure you have extra fuel. There are many places in AZ, NM and TX where you can go more than 100 miles with no fuel or services of any kind.

Howard
Iron Butt Association Member Number 42256
Club - The Sky Island Riders.
Publisher: The Scooter 'Zine thescooterzine.com
BootScootin'FireFighter

TVB wrote:
umekoshungi wrote:what's in shiprock? A rock that looks like a ship? If so, I'm totally headed through there.
I'm guessing it's a ship that looks like a rock.
Shiprock, NM only 35 miles from Four Corners monument.
Attachments
shiprock.jpg
shiprock.jpg (45.17 KiB) Viewed 1676 times
BlueMark

Post by BlueMark »

If you are looking for a scenic route that avoids highways - the Adventure Cycling Association publishes maps of bicycling cycle routes throughout the nation - which for the most part are entirely suitable for a non-highway traveling small scooter. You only have to be careful to avoid the occasional rail-trail section that might be included in a route that would be unavailable to motorized vehicles.
umekoshungi

@ bluemark

Post by umekoshungi »

Thank you sooooo much! Those maps are exactly what I needed! I was having trouble with the road atlas. :)

ps shiprock is amazing o.o can't wait to see it with my own eyes :)
Syd

Post by Syd »

Take care on the highways in AZ and the reservations in the Four Corners area; the traffic can be heavy and fast, even on two lanes. And watch for cattle and sheep on the reservation - fences are like speed limit signs, just suggestions.

I don't want to start a route war, but I'm no fan of Four Corners. Three bucks to see a brass plate on the ground that isn't even in the actual location where two imaginary lines intersect. Different tastes, I guess, and any place in the High Desert is good, if you ask me. But I'm a bigger fan of the road from Monument Valley to Flagstaff than NW NM (do it in the daylight and don't miss Tsegi!). Or, if you go through Four Corners then south through Kayenta, stop at Baby Rocks (you'll know it when you see it).

However you go, ride carefully and layer, the temps are likely to range from below freezing to near 80 along I-40.
The majority is always sane - Nessus
trackpete

Post by trackpete »

The trick for a trip like this is to stay on small local state roads (and yeah, bring gas). Most of the roads I've ridden on in those areas are pretty devoid of traffic if you stick to the two lane blacktop (though granted I wasn't there in summer.

Stay as far away as possible from the interstates, especially in Texas, they are mind-numbing.
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... 1tTNVh">DC to the Arctic Circle! An old youtube playlist.</a>
umekoshungi

thanks everyone!

Post by umekoshungi »

Thanks for the suggestions! I've got a route planned out with all b highways, and some great stops along the way. I'm gonna see the hoover dam, the grand canyon, then through monument valley and the valley of the gods, photo op at 4 corners. Then cutting south to the petrified forest, and along the mexican border to amistad reservoir, taking the 90 to san antonio, (which is on the bike safe route)and a series of tiny hwys to houston. It's planned to take 10 days with no more than 300 miles a day. should be a comfortable pace, with plenty of time for R and R.

I can't wait to go, and will watch out for sheep and cattle on the way! Thanks again!
Skootz Kabootz

Re: thanks everyone!

Post by Skootz Kabootz »

umekoshungi wrote:Thanks for the suggestions! I've got a route planned out with all b highways, and some great stops along the way. I'm gonna see the hoover dam, the grand canyon, then through monument valley and the valley of the gods, photo op at 4 corners. Then cutting south to the petrified forest, and along the mexican border to amistad reservoir, taking the 90 to san antonio, (which is on the bike safe route)and a series of tiny hwys to houston. It's planned to take 10 days with no more than 300 miles a day. should be a comfortable pace, with plenty of time for R and R.

I can't wait to go, and will watch out for sheep and cattle on the way! Thanks again!
Boy, that sounds absolutely fantastic. Color me green with envy. Have an amazing trip!!

Syd

Post by Syd »

Google Map, please? We are all living vicariously through you on this trip. You have responsibilities!!!

You are covering some nice parts of AZ. One suggestion, If I might. If you are taking Hwy 191 South from Four Corners to Painted Desert/Petrified Forest, take the time to stop at Canyon De Chelly. It's on my gotta go to list.

I-40 from Seligman to Williams should be fun (eh, maybe not). FYI, there is one big-ass climb just west of Williams.
Howardr

Post by Howardr »

You might want to map out a plan "b" route that is more direct. I don't want to poo-poo your adventure, but if you've not spent a LOT of time on your scooter recently, you may find that 200-300 miles a day for 10 days is a LOT harder than you thought.

Your butt, shoulders and hands are likely to get very sore about the end of the second day or so. The discomfort is cumulative as the miles add up.

(I don't know how Trackpete did it.)

Bring plenty of the pain reliever of your choice. No aspirin, though.

Best wishes and safe riding to ya!

Howard
BootScootin'FireFighter

rider beads, ex-officio briefs, and bengay, have a blast and keep us updated (pictures too)
Syd

Post by Syd »

Howardr wrote:...No aspirin, though.Howard
Why no aspirin? Because of the blood thinning in case of accident?
umekoshungi

g

Post by umekoshungi »

I will be keeping you all updated as best as possible. I tried to google map my route but it was insanely frustrating on my tiny screen having to zoom in all the way to find my route.... then google re routes me to the highway... maybe i'm doing something wrong, i've never used "my maps" before. Maybe I'll post a pic of my map instead.

I've got a full bottle of ibuprofen in my first aid kit, but out of curiosity... why not asprin?

on a side note, I'm now seriously wishing i had saddle bags. did a test load up earlier today and had no room for gas besides my floorboard. Back to the drawing room!

would it be safe to have the gas can on my front rack?
umekoshungi

Post by umekoshungi »

Syd wrote:

heh, beat me to it :)
boredgamelad

Post by boredgamelad »

umekoshungi wrote: would it be safe to have the gas can on my front rack?
As long as ninjas don't shoot the front of the scoot and blow it up...
Howardr

Post by Howardr »

Syd wrote:
You got it.
Iwunder01

Post by Iwunder01 »

That sounds like so much fun. I can't wait to see pics of the journey.
Scoot On!!

Itashka
BootScootin'FireFighter

Re: g

umekoshungi wrote:I'm now seriously wishing i had saddle bags.
I know it's a little late before your trip and no tractor supply company stores near you, but these SADDLE BAGS work well when I need them. They're nylon, so only a little water resistant. $27 can't beat a pair of throw down saddle bags.
Howardr

Post by Howardr »

One thing I think you should definitely do before your trip is to take a high speed, longer distance run to check your mileage/range at highway speeds. Get out on a highway and ride at WOT until you run out of fuel and see how far you can go on a tank.

When I did the Iron Butt ride, I found that my mileage decreased from 80-85 mpg to 55 mpg. This is HUGE when you are out in country where you will likely have to go 100+ miles between gas stations.

If you have a similar experience, you will need a 2 gallon gas container rather than 1 gallon.

You are also likely to be out of any kind of cell phone contact. You should probably call a friend every time you have coverage, so that if something happens (God forbid) like a flat tire, broken belt or crash, someone knows where you last were.

This is some serious desolate country you are going through.

I pm'd you. Check you messages.

Howard
BootScootin'FireFighter

Howardr wrote:One thing I think you should definitely do before your trip is to take a high speed, longer distance run to check your mileage/range at highway speeds. Get out on a highway and ride at WOT until you run out of fuel and see how far you can go on a tank.

When I did the Iron Butt ride, I found that my mileage decreased from 80-85 mpg to 55 mpg. This is HUGE when you are out in country where you will likely have to go 100+ miles between gas stations.

If you have a similar experience, you will need a 2 gallon gas container rather than 1 gallon.

You are also likely to be out of any kind of cell phone contact. You should probably call a friend every time you have coverage, so that if something happens (God forbid) like a flat tire, broken belt or crash, someone knows where you last were.

Howard
great advise from Howard...
I'm a little paranoid when I travel, my flight itinerary, hotels, and contact phone numbers are emailed to certain individuals. I'd do the same with your itinerary and google maps route. Try to stick to the route as much as possible. I don't know what service Pete (trackpete) used on his journey to Alaska, but he had real-time GPS updates on his blog, another great tool to use.
MYSCTR

Post by MYSCTR »

BootScootin'FireFighter wrote:
Howardr wrote:One thing I think you should definitely do before your trip is to take a high speed, longer distance run to check your mileage/range at highway speeds. Get out on a highway and ride at WOT until you run out of fuel and see how far you can go on a tank.

Howard
great advise from Howard...
I'm a little paranoid when I travel, my flight itinerary, hotels, and contact phone numbers are emailed to certain individuals. I'd do the same with your itinerary and google maps route. Try to stick to the route as much as possible. I don't know what service Pete (trackpete) used on his journey to Alaska, but he had real-time GPS updates on his blog, another great tool to use.
Our son and a friend took off on a cross country climbing trip covering TX, NM, AZ, CA, NV and even Mexico daytrips (out of southern California) and they blogged as they went which would auto update their location, speed (if they were moving) and elevations as they went. It was pretty cool to see the blue line with the different points at each place they would post from their I-phones. Every picture taken along the route had GPS coordinates as well.

This would be a great way for other ModdernBuddy riders or even Family and friends to be able to track your course, get your thoughts of the day or at least see you are still moving or are on course. Plotting locations where you can pre-ship care packages to post offices along the route to the postmaster for “General Delivery” may be a good way to get fresh supplies from home along the way too.
umekoshungi

doing this old school

Post by umekoshungi »

I'm still gonna get google maps to work at some point before I go. you all talked me into it, and besides it is a great way to make sure someone knows where I went. I gave my mom a copy of my directions, and one to my boyfriend, and another to my aunt. planning on texting them all at least 2x a day. once am and once pm. mid day if i have signal.

I'd love to have real time gps tracking- and all that suff, but I don't have a smart phone, or a gps. I'm officially doing this old school. well... kinda. Bringing a solar charger for my phone (just in case all else goes wrong) I have my laptop, and all my chargers.

getting nervous. 4 days til departure!
umekoshungi

woo!

Post by umekoshungi »

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8& ... 553711&z=5

obviously not an expert, but i finally did it! yay!
Syd

Post by Syd »

:shock: Whoa. Did you know that whole stretch from Temple Bar to Hwy 180 just south of Tusayan, if it is even passable, is all dirt?

[Edit] Apparently, Indian Road 18 from Rt 66 to Hualapai Hilltop is paved. But I don't think that any of the rest of that stretch mentioned above is. I know that you cannot drive to Supai - that's an 8 mile hike. Just be careful.[/Edit]
umekoshungi

Post by umekoshungi »

Syd wrote::shock: Whoa. Did you know that whole stretch from Temple Bar to Hwy 180 just south of Tusayan, if it is even passable, is all dirt?

[Edit] Apparently, Indian Road 18 from Rt 66 to Hualapai Hilltop is paved. But I don't think that any of the rest of that stretch mentioned above is. I know that you cannot drive to Supai - that's an 8 mile hike. Just be careful.[/Edit]
the first stretch was a mistake. Checked my map and i don't know what i was thinking... fixed google map.

my road book shows the 18 goes right to supai. Glad to know that's not the case before I get there... I figured I'd risk a dirt road on the way out of that area, knowing i could turn around and head back on the 18 if i had trouble... yeah... not gonna happen with an 8 mile hike. :oops:

that would have been a horrible horrible mistake. thank you so much!!

can't find an alt. to the 40... might have to change my route entirely. :cry: thinking about braving the 40 from ash fork to williams..
Howardr

Post by Howardr »

Have you checked the weather for your ride, yet? I'm seeing forecasts for snow accumulations and highs in the 50's, lows in the 20's for northern Arizona.

Those temps are just dangerous to ride in, unless you have the proper gear, namely heated. Riding 30 minutes to work in the 40's or 50's in one thing, but sustained riding in those temps is asking for real trouble. Riding while you're very cold is at least as dangerous as driving intoxicated.

Please tell me you've got major cold weather gear.

I love scooter adventure, but you've got me concerned. Geeze, I sound like your mother or something, don't I?

Howard
MYSCTR

Post by MYSCTR »

WOW - Checking out the end of the route you are going to go through the Texas Hill Country (Bandera area) and it is a shame you don't hit Kerrville because it is only 19 miles up route 16 north to Jenny @ Scootique in Fredericksburg.

We are going to be there for 5 days about a week behind you I would guess as we will arrive Wednesday, April 20.

Be safe out there & Good Luck!
umekoshungi

Post by umekoshungi »

Howardr wrote:Have you checked the weather for your ride, yet? I'm seeing forecasts for snow accumulations and highs in the 50's, lows in the 20's for northern Arizona.

I love scooter adventure, but you've got me concerned. Geeze, I sound like your mother or something, don't I?

Howard
I have been diligently checking the weather as it comes available. the storm this weekend does have me worried about snow. I have cold gear, and rain gear and low temp camping gear but snow is just too much. The weather all next week looks clear and hot. So I'm hoping the storms through there will be less snow than expected and no real accumulation or cleared when I get there around next friday. I'm keeping an eye on it though. if it doesn't look good I will be changing my route

:( I really wanna do all my sightseeing in n. az, but if I can't do it safely, I'll have to miss it this trip
:cry:

MYSCTR wrote:
We are going to be there for 5 days about a week behind you I would guess as we will arrive Wednesday, April 20.
That's just about the time I will be there! unless of course I put my trip off for a few days or change my route. We'll be in touch :)
Howardr

Post by Howardr »

If the weather doesn't cooperate, here is a more direct route, lower elevations and a tad warmer. Just over 1600 miles.

http://tinyurl.com/3b8l65c

Are you planning on riding back as well?

Howard
Syd

Post by Syd »

umekoshungi wrote:
Howardr wrote:Have you checked the weather for your ride, yet? I'm seeing forecasts for snow accumulations and highs in the 50's, lows in the 20's for northern Arizona.

Howard
...The weather all next week looks clear and hot...
Here's 10 forcasts for three towns along your route:
http://www.weather.com/outlook/health/a ... y/USAZ0113
http://www.weather.com/outlook/health/a ... y/USAZ0068
http://www.weather.com/outlook/health/a ... y/USAZ0110
I hope the links work, but they are Kingman, Flagstaff, and Kayenta, AZ. I'd have gotten the Grand Canyon too, but you (probably) won't be able to spend the night there, so I didn't. Like Howard, I don't want to sound like your Mom, but we know this part of the country and we don't want you to get into something you'll be sorry about.

But I *really* want you to make the trip, as long as you're prepared. So if you are, go for it and have a trip you'll remember for the rest of your life.
umekoshungi

Post by umekoshungi »

I really sincerely appreciate the support and advice. The info you have provided is invaluable to me. Safety is my main concern, and you two knowing the area is a huge asset to me. I think I'm ready, and feel confident. thanks for the plan B route. I'm going to stick to my route but if i get too cold, or my butt gets too sore I will switch down to that route. On monday when it's raining I'm planning to stay the night in showlow with a friend. If I don't get there in time, I'll get a room and rest up til it stops.

If it's ok with you two, I'm going to add you to my text safety list and keep ya'll informed. I don't want you to worry since it's unlikely I'll be posting on the road.

I'll be heading out wednesday, and no I'm not planning on riding back anytime soon.

anyone who would like to be texted, please pm me your number! :)
Howardr

Post by Howardr »

Your route, as posted is almost 3000 miles. Once you complete it, I think it may just make the longest single ride ever completed by a Buddy 125.

There was a 125 in the Cannonball 3 years ago and it did not complete the ride due to a ride ending "injury." The theory is that the days of riding so hard, caused the crank to overheat and warp. This is something that you may have to worry about.

I don't know the way to prevent this. You should also consider looking at changing your oil about halfway into the ride.

I'd be pleased to get text messages from you about your progress.

Godspeed,

Howard
mattgordon

Post by mattgordon »

Howardr wrote:Your route, as posted is almost 3000 miles. Once you complete it, I think it may just make the longest single ride ever completed by a Buddy 125.

Howard
What about the young lady, Alix whom scooted around the US and then across it to form a peace sign? Took 2 summers iirc, but definitely more than 3k?

Howardr

Post by Howardr »

mattgordon wrote:
Howardr wrote:Your route, as posted is almost 3000 miles. Once you complete it, I think it may just make the longest single ride ever completed by a Buddy 125.

Howard
What about the young lady, Alix whom scooted around the US and then across it to form a peace sign? Took 2 summers iirc, but definitely more than 3k?

But as you mentioned,, she did it over an extended period of time, not in a single trip, riding 300 miles every day. She also went through at least 3 motors, as I recall. That is not something that Umekoshungi wants to do, I'm sure.
Syd

Post by Syd »

umekoshungi benefits from the weather, I think. The Cannonball was run in summer temps, which would affect running temps, if only just a little. And Rob had a second tank plumbed into his stock tank, extending range for the CB, which would also lengthen high temp running times(my opinion). But still worth keeping in mind, having to stop for a few minutes every couple hours.

umekoshungi check your PMs.
MYSCTR

Oil Change

Post by MYSCTR »

Howardr wrote:There was a 125 in the Cannonball 3 years ago and it did not complete the ride due to a ride ending "injury." The theory is that the days of riding so hard, caused the crank to overheat and warp. This is something that you may have to worry about.

I don't know the way to prevent this. You should also consider looking at changing your oil about halfway into the ride.

Howard
We can help hook up with Jennie at Scootique in Fredericksburg, TX (Hill Country). If we know the day on the route - we can make an appt for a quick oil change and just check it out to be sure everything is good.

This is a good suggestion Howard!
umekoshungi

Post by umekoshungi »

Sorry guys been busy, rechecking details, and making sure I'm not forgetting anything. Skeeter (my scooter) is in the shop getting checked out as we speak. I'm getting an oil change in Las cruses (sp) which is a little over halfway. I'll have my laptop with the google map of dealers saved to my desktop in case the need arises. I'm not holding myself to 10 days and won't be going anywhere near cannonball style, pushing my machine. WOT is not gonna be happening often. If i feel like stopping at 100 miles, I will, If skeeter is acting strangely, I'll rest him and proceed with caution. I have a friend in showlow that I'll be stopping with for a day or so (or until my back is rested up) I'm really not nuts, but i know it might look that way... on second thought I may be a little nuts, but in a good way :)

Thanks again for all the advice, and your concern. I'll be headed out tomorrow before noon. expect texts from then on.
PeteH

Post by PeteH »

Paper maps!!! Print the appropriate Google maps, and also take along the fold-up variety.

They don't fail to boot like a laptop after several hundred vibrating miles.
MYSCTR

Post by MYSCTR »

Congrats & Bon Voyage

Keep us posted

We are looking forward to seeing you as you pass through the Texas hill Country – Especially Kerrville and or Fredericksburg. Remember Jennie @ Scootique is on Hwy 16 2 miles south of Fredericksburg, she will be on your left side as you come into town.
BootScootin'FireFighter

good luck and Godspeed! paper maps +1! You can get them free at state visitor centers when you enter, so just shitcan the ones you don't need anymore. Are you on facebook? can we track you that way?
umekoshungi

Post by umekoshungi »

Helloooo from peach springs in the hualapai nation :)

I'm on fb but this is the first time I've had internet access since I left. Been checking in when I can, via texts. even my cell service is limited. nothing since needles yesterday.

I'm having a fabulous time. Not sore yet, Not pushing it either. having back support was the greatest idea ever. hoping to make flagstaff by lunch and camp in the forest just n. of that tonight. Woo HOO!!

can't wait to post pics :)