Helmet Hair Solutions?

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

JHScoot

Helmet Hair Solutions?

Post by JHScoot »

What are they?

I am fairly new to riding and never had to deal with this before. I have been "keeping it short" but would rather not, and this past week the person who cuts my hair wasn't available, and the person who did f'd it up pretty good . I mean yeah, its short. But thats about it :/

I could have let it go but it was becoming unruly. Thing is I have the kind of hair that when of any length does not cooperate in any way if it gets messed up. It will stay that way short of carrying water and hair care products in my pet carrier, along with a mirror. Do people do that? :shock:

Oh and no, those little scooter mirrors will not do!

I mean I can't have the "messed up" look all the time. I have to look neat sometimes, hair included.

So I guess what I am asking is not how I should deal with my helmet hair, but how you deal with your own, if at all?

I need insights :nerd:
Riding is riding
texepictetus

Hair

Post by texepictetus »

Can't wait to hear the responses on this one. I'm ugly to start with so I just accept it.
Halloweenie

Post by Halloweenie »

Helmet beard can be just as bad...
226 Vintage Hot Wing, GGR Hot Reeds, Mazzy Race Cut Crank, P200 filter, 128 Main, BJ Stack, Trailtech CHT

AAA-O Anything, Anytime, Anywhere, Bar None
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

OOPS....you said helmet hair....not hair helmet

My bad
"Things fall apart - it's scientific" - David Byrne
www.teamscootertrash.com

'06 Cream Buddy 125, 11 Blur 220, 13 BMW C 650 GT, 68 Vespa SS180, 64 Vespa GS MK II, 65 Lambretta TV 175, 67 Vespa GT, 64 Vespa 150 VBB 64 Vespa GL
ed85379

Post by ed85379 »

One of the solutions is, of course, to keep it short.

But even with a fresh haircut, I mostly have to be careful with timing after a morning shower. If my hair isn't completely 100% dry before I put my helmet on, my hair is just a disaster when I take it off.

So, my solution for that has been making sure to shower at night instead of the morning when I am planning on taking the scooter the next day. At least then I can somewhat comb it back into place afterward.

Of course, you could just get one of these.

ed85379

Post by ed85379 »

Or you could be like Flo

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/lYbLDbex8UA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Halloweenie

Post by Halloweenie »

What about a skull cap or bandanna before the helmet? Might work.
226 Vintage Hot Wing, GGR Hot Reeds, Mazzy Race Cut Crank, P200 filter, 128 Main, BJ Stack, Trailtech CHT

AAA-O Anything, Anytime, Anywhere, Bar None
Tocsik

Post by Tocsik »

I get less "helmet hair" when wearing a skull cap under my helmet. I wear a balaclava in cold weather and one of these in warm weather.
Also helps keep the helmet liner from needing a wash as frequently.
.::I know the voices in my head aren't real, but man do they come up with some great ideas::.
HowHH

Post by HowHH »

I keep what I have left pretty short. So it's pretty much a non-issue for me. My friends who have retained more on top usually carry a cap for when the helmet comes off.

Helmet hair can be serious problem. I think it's the main issue why my wife won't ride :wink:
Raiderfn311

Post by Raiderfn311 »

I find smearing my hair with lard before a ride helps........if you dont have lard, butter will do in a pinch
The Edge....there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who truly know where it is have gone over. -Hunter S. Thompson
Chilly

Post by Chilly »

shave or maybe a ponytail? I shaved my head shortly after I started riding (I used to shave my head all the time anyway) my hair was getting in my eyes, making me hot and itchy ect... wasn't really concerned about helmet head but it is an added benefit. I wonder if a ponytail would work though? Maybe a skullcap of some sort?
2 > 4
BootScootin'FireFighter

Post by BootScootin'FireFighter »

I got the famous Ray Lewis skull cap from under armour for the summer. In the winter, I'm under the corazzo hoddie. I also keep a comb in the seat for post ride touch-ups. A ballcap works well on some occassions. I'm not particularly concerned about my hair appearance either way.
Attachments
ray-lewis.jpg
ray-lewis.jpg (25.21 KiB) Viewed 2651 times
Skootz Kabootz

Post by Skootz Kabootz »

Well in my case it appears the helmet is wearing away all the hair at the crown of my head. It's the darndest thing. Soon it will all be gone... but back when my hair was still there, I found keeping it short and keeping a bottle of water on board so I could comb and restyle as needed was the best solution.

"It's only fun if you live to talk about it." | Adventurists Scooter Group |
bigbropgo

Re: Hair

Post by bigbropgo »

texepictetus wrote:Can't wait to hear the responses on this one. I'm ugly to start with so I just accept it.
Yea me too. :D I am currently sporting a beard for the first time and so I'm struggling a bit with that also. Getting warm so it will prob be gone soon.

Ball cap, benie or buzz cut. Don't know what else you can do.
no i don't ride a scooter, i am a scooter pilot!
VICTUS MORTUUS VENATOR
lmyers

Post by lmyers »

Silk scarf and two or three ponytail holders
Stormswift

Re: Helmet Hair Solutions?

Post by Stormswift »

JHScoot wrote:What are they?

I mean I can't have the "messed up" look all the time. I have to look neat sometimes, hair included.
What? The "Twilight look" does not work for you? :rofl:
I am not a scooter snob.
I am a scooter connoisseur
Stormswift

Post by Stormswift »

Seriously, I recently cut waist length hair down to shoulder length. Professional reasons. The other just had too much curl. It was absolutely horrific after wearing a helmet. I don't know what will happen with shorter version. I managed to ride recently but it was not hot at all and that tends to be a major factor when it comes to how messed up you end up looking. I used to use a scull cap but in the summer that added to the discomfort from the heat and with long hair under it it totally prevented circulation, almost like all of the vents were shot. So yesterday, as the matter of fact I stopped by local pharmacy and looked through ladies hair accessories. I found what I was looking for: a pack of hair nets. It should keep all of the waves and curls in place and still allow for air to circulate. I have not ridden wearing hair net under the helmet yet. Hopefully it will be warm enough tomorrow or at least no rain so I could ride.
I am not a scooter snob.
I am a scooter connoisseur
pugbuddy

Post by pugbuddy »

I consider the battle with helmet hair pretty hopeless.

I can usually get to work and get by with a little water and touch-up but for longer rides I just put a cap on my head. The skullcap thing didn't work well for me for whatever reason; my hair is still a disaster when I take it off (we cannot wear hats or caps at work).

I have found that taking a small towel with me so I can soak and dry my hair in the bathroom seems to work well.
Robert Wayne Henderson (May 16, 1932 - July 28, 2009).
MYSCTR

Post by MYSCTR »

Tocsik wrote:I get less "helmet hair" when wearing a skull cap under my helmet. I wear a balaclava in cold weather and one of these in warm weather.
Also helps keep the helmet liner from needing a wash as frequently.
x2
TVB

Post by TVB »

I don't even own a comb, so it isn't something I worry about. :) When I start to see some helmet hair effects I know it's time to plug in the clippers and buzz it back down.
pugbuddy

Post by pugbuddy »

ed85379 wrote:Or you could be like Flo

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/lYbLDbex8UA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Gotta admit, that's funny! :lol:
Robert Wayne Henderson (May 16, 1932 - July 28, 2009).
BootScootin'FireFighter

Post by BootScootin'FireFighter »

ed85379 wrote:<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/lYbLDbex8UA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
I love Flo.

Anyone recognize the guy at the :19 mark?

Hemky Madera, from the past few seasons of Weeds. He plays the role of Ignacio, one of Esteban Reyes' bodyguards.
laxer

Post by laxer »

I have really thick hair that just stays however it gets done (I had a part in it for two years a long time ago and my hair still wants to go that way). Anyhow, if I wear a helmet, it will just stay all messed up and I can't get it to become tame without drenching it in water and really working it out again, so I just shave my head come riding season and keep it short.
easy

Post by easy »

I dont worry about it, sweat on a 90 degree day wearing all the gear sucks.
what did you trade the day for?
Lovelandstella

Post by Lovelandstella »

JHScoot wrote:...short of carrying water and hair care products in my pet carrier...
when going to work, I do exactly that. I work at a large corporate building. and when it's 1)ride 2) sit and work for 8 hours and then 3)ride home. - its totally worth it to take some pomade or whatever and go do my hair in the bathroom.

if it if after work and I am going to dinner or ice cream or something then I usually have messy hair. I don't have a solution for that. I at least have a comb with me, but not every hairstyle of mine utilizes a comb.
~Lovelandstella
----------------------------------------
KABarash

Post by KABarash »

My son keeps his hair 1/8 inch long that solves his issue, of coarse he's in the military and needs to keep it short.
I've been having issues and been complaining to my barber about a more 'helmet friendly' cut for years, she was keeping it short on me as well, however when I would take my helmet off I'd look like a hedgehog! I'm usually the kind of guy that gets his hair cut every 4-5 weeks, one inch was considered TOOOO L_O_N_G! As I sit now, I haven't gotten it cut since Thanksgiving time don't know WHAT I want to do with this mess!
The other night, I walked out of work with a hair net still on and thought to give that a try, I first walked into the VFW still wearing it!!! :oops: :oops: I was driving the car........!!!! :fp:
I suppose if I put it on carefully over neatly combed hair it may work (?)
Other than that, my son suggested the "Fonz" look, and keep a comb with me in a "Fonzy-esc" fashion and fix myself every time I remove my helmet...... Too much work! :headache:
TIME to cut it ALL off!

I keep my beard sheared to 1/8-1/4 inch that isn't much of a problem except for the bugs that get in there, but I save them for a snack for later....... :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
Aging is mandatory, growing up is optional.
My kids call me 'crazy', I prefer 'Eccentric'.
Nullius in verba
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/CNw8KUnAfrU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Oops, hair helmet again.

Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
jmkjr72

Post by jmkjr72 »

crew cu or a high and tight and you wont get helmet hiar
z 2008 zuma 50
olive 2008 setlla
1979 tomos
Kaos

Post by Kaos »

I carry a Irish pub cap around with me, and just wear that when I don't have my helmet on. On the occasion I can't/don't want to wear a hat, I have a comb to fix my head afterwards.
rsrider

Post by rsrider »

What is this hair you speak of?
Using the internet for evil since 1994.
trackpete

Post by trackpete »

Halloweenie wrote:What about a skull cap or bandanna before the helmet? Might work.
This. One of the biggest causes of helmet hair is which direction your hair is facing when you put the helmet on - if it's "against the grain" then it will stick up like crazy. You should always use a skull cap in any case (cleaning it is way easier than cleaning a helmet and helmets get NASTY inside even though most don't clean), but it will help control the hair.

Also make sure that when you put the helmet on you do it "with" the grain - if your hair is combed forward then put the helmet on the back of your head and pull it forward (instead of going in forehead first).

Nothing in my experience, however, will prevent the little ring of poof that happens around the helmet pads, especially if you have curly hair.
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... 1tTNVh">DC to the Arctic Circle! An old youtube playlist.</a>
Raiderfn311

Post by Raiderfn311 »

I am rolling on the floor that this thread has gone on this long....HELMET HAIR? Grow a sack dude!
The Edge....there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who truly know where it is have gone over. -Hunter S. Thompson
TVB

Post by TVB »

Raiderfn311 wrote:I am rolling on the floor that this thread has gone on this long....HELMET HAIR? Grow a sack dude!
Don't get me started about the problems I have keeping that hair looking nice.... ;)
ScootLemont

Post by ScootLemont »

I just keep a ball cap in my glove box for those days I wear the old FF.
(currently a Surge's Florida Experience cap autographed by Tim Dorsey)

Note to the women out there.... if you dont think you look good in a ball cap, keep in mind that any women in a ball cap, with her hair pulled through the back above the strap, is 10 to 15% cuter. (its not sexist, its a scientific fact)
bigbropgo

Post by bigbropgo »

TVB wrote:
Raiderfn311 wrote:I am rolling on the floor that this thread has gone on this long....HELMET HAIR? Grow a sack dude!
Don't get me started about the problems I have keeping that hair looking nice.... ;)
Manscaping?
no i don't ride a scooter, i am a scooter pilot!
VICTUS MORTUUS VENATOR
KABarash

Post by KABarash »

Really??
Would you want to look like this all day??
Attachments
121800.jpg
121800.jpg (16.23 KiB) Viewed 2416 times
Nullius in verba
Kaos

Post by Kaos »

KABarash wrote:
Really??
Would you want to look like this all day??
If you carried around a lab coat to wear when you're not on the scoot, you could totally pull off that hair.
KABarash

Post by KABarash »

Kaos wrote: If you carried around a lab coat to wear when you're not on the scoot, you could totally pull off that hair.
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
Nullius in verba
paikkylee

Post by paikkylee »

TVB wrote:
When did you become the comedian? Nice one.
Orange '08 Buddy 125
Seafoam Buddy "72" - Sold
Raleigh MTB - Bar ends and slicks
Raiderfn311

Post by Raiderfn311 »

seriously keep it short....and bathing occasionally helps......get all those hard to reach places too :lol:
misu

Post by misu »

JHScoot wrote:What are they?

I am fairly new to riding and never had to deal with this before. I have been "keeping it short" but would rather not, and this past week the person who cuts my hair wasn't available, and the person who did f'd it up pretty good . I mean yeah, its short. But thats about it :/

I could have let it go but it was becoming unruly. Thing is I have the kind of hair that when of any length does not cooperate in any way if it gets messed up. It will stay that way short of carrying water and hair care products in my pet carrier, along with a mirror. Do people do that? :shock:

Oh and no, those little scooter mirrors will not do!

So I guess what I am asking is not how I should deal with my helmet hair, but how you deal with your own, if at all?

I need insights :nerd:
great topic!

as a newbie i too was a bit at a loss -- can't really wear a cap and have messy hair where i work, so i pretty much add in a extra 5-10minutes to my "commute" for watering down and "re-setting" my hair once i get to work.

it's a quick sprint from the parking lot to a nearest bathroom so i don't have to run into too many people with helmet head!

hoodie seems to help and definitely dried hair. unfortunately i work out in the morning and so shower in the morning so it's usually damp still when throwing on the helmet.
lilguy

Post by lilguy »

I bring a spray bottle, my comb, a knit cap (for those days when there just isn't enough time to redo), and before I put my helmet on I cover my hair with a silk scarf (to prevent hair breakage).

Not only is it impossible to grow a pair, but I am a woman that cares how she looks (most of the time). If you don't, sweet! If you do, fight that helmet hair! :D

http://is.gd/tGe7b3

http://is.gd/v0B4Hb :D :D
Witch

Post by Witch »

I have waist-length hair, and always have. Been riding scoots over a decade now.

I always have the best all-purpose comb I can find kept in my glovebox. I don't fix my hair into any kind of style that won't work with a helmet. I usually either braid it, put multiple ponytail holders on it, or just one ponytail holder, and tuck it under my jacket. When I get where I'm going, I pull out the ponytail holder(s), run a comb through it real quick, and go. Braiding it is easiest, as it keeps most of it in check, and I've learned to do it really fast. I still keep it tucked under my jacket most of the time even if it's braided; the winds around here coupled with my tall screen tend to make it a dangerous projectile for my face if I'm wearing my 3/4 helmet (yes, even with a faceshield on it).

I have also occasionally used a Hair Glove (www.hairglove.com). It keeps my hair from slapping me in the face, but it does tend to pull down on a ponytail holder, so it requires adjustment if you're out for more than an hour or so. I had to get a plain black neoprene one, because it's the only one long enough (20"), and I still have a few inches off the end of it uncovered. It seems to get a crapload of attention at group rides. 100% prevents you hair from getting tangled.
Beamster

Post by Beamster »

Helmet hair beats pavement scull every time.

Carry a brush and get over it.
michelle_7728

Post by michelle_7728 »

I have shoulder length hair and bangs. I lean over, twist my hair up on top of my head, then tip my head into my helmet which is precariously sitting on my seat. I'm sure I've given a few people a chuckle when they see me doing that. The only issue I have is with my bangs. No matter which way I tuck them, well there they stick when I get to work, so yeah spritzes of water are then necessary. I use mousse in my hair anyhow, as I otherwise have straight hair, so a little mouse on the bangs (very little, mind you) and they are good to go!
Past bikes: 08' Genuine Buddy 125, '07 Yamaha Majesty 400, '07 Piaggio MP3 250, '08 Piaggio MP3 500, '08 Aprilia Scarabeo 500
Current bikes: Two '09 Genuine Buddy 125's
ScootsMcGillicuddy

Post by ScootsMcGillicuddy »

I actually cut my hair for the most functional "de"helmet hairing!
When riding, I use my fav "product" and style per usual.
When at the destination the product makes it a snap to
style back to perfection by just running fingers through.
It's easy!
iMoses

Post by iMoses »

I keep my hair short, but I work in an office environment so I have to keep my hair looking decent. Thus I use mousse.
Attachments
MR.MOOSE_sm.jpg
MR.MOOSE_sm.jpg (29.5 KiB) Viewed 2239 times
TVB

Post by TVB »

iMoses wrote:I keep my hair short, but I work in an office environment so I have to keep my hair looking decent. Thus I use mousse.
:fp:
michelle_7728

Post by michelle_7728 »

iMoses wrote:I keep my hair short, but I work in an office environment so I have to keep my hair looking decent. Thus I use mousse.
:rofl:
Past bikes: 08' Genuine Buddy 125, '07 Yamaha Majesty 400, '07 Piaggio MP3 250, '08 Piaggio MP3 500, '08 Aprilia Scarabeo 500
Current bikes: Two '09 Genuine Buddy 125's
Iwunder01

Post by Iwunder01 »

TVB wrote:
:fp:

:wha: :clown: :rofl:
Scoot On!!

Itashka