Scooter permit-check, Scooter helmet-check, Scooter

The original 2-stroke Genuine scooter and its 4-stroke manual and automatic offspring

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Mulliganal

Scooter permit-check, Scooter helmet-check, Scooter

Post by Mulliganal »

accessories in Scooterworks shopping cart ready for checkout-check, clear space in garage for scooter-check, Creme 4T Stella Scooter-STILL SITTING SOMEWHERE IN FREEKIN' INDIA????

Stopped by the scooter store and was told no word at all, except there may be an even longer wait due to the earthquake in Japan since some of the electronics for Buddy and Stella are apparently made in Japan.

Bummer
".....Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us......"
listless

uh oh

Post by listless »

I am in the same boat. I was told they were being shipped the first week of April -- I assumed from Chicago -- not India. Now a "minor" delay...

I'm having flashbacks to last year when I was watching closely, but didn't actually put down a deposit like I did last month.

I skipped two other scooter dealers that told me they couldn't get one until June. I'm on the cusp of committing to a sidecar too so I may end up with a sidecar, helmet, scooter permit and garage space for the scooterless sidecar.
Mulliganal

Re: uh oh

Post by Mulliganal »

listless wrote:I am in the same boat. I was told they were being shipped the first week of April -- I assumed from Chicago -- not India. Now a "minor" delay...

I'm having flashbacks to last year when I was watching closely, but didn't actually put down a deposit like I did last month.

I skipped two other scooter dealers that told me they couldn't get one until June. I'm on the cusp of committing to a sidecar too so I may end up with a sidecar, helmet, scooter permit and garage space for the scooterless sidecar.
:shock: :lol: :lol: Man I'd be chillin' in that sidecar with my iPod music and imagining I'm cruzin down some backroads on a warm summer day. All I have in my garage scooter spot is a deck recliner that my wife will soon ask me to put outside. :cry:
".....Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us......"
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

The first shipment has only been around for a couple months. Did your dealers sell out quickly?

It's kind of unusual to get restocked 6 weeks after the first shipment unless the scoots were ordered in advance. (Orders are usually placed months in advance.) They all come straight from the country of origin; Genuine doesn't have a giant warehouse full of scooters waiting to go to dealers. That's pretty much standard for the smaller scooter companies, though.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
Mulliganal

Post by Mulliganal »

ericalm wrote:The first shipment has only been around for a couple months. Did your dealers sell out quickly?

It's kind of unusual to get restocked 6 weeks after the first shipment unless the scoots were ordered in advance. (Orders are usually placed months in advance.) They all come straight from the country of origin; Genuine doesn't have a giant warehouse full of scooters waiting to go to dealers. That's pretty much standard for the smaller scooter companies, though.
He hasn't received any yet but he has deposits on about 3-4 I believe; he also ordered some for stock. This shop is pretty much the only game in town here in Atlanta.
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

Well, I've got a suggestion for something to do while you wait. About "scooter permit - check"? Does that mean that you have no riding experience and just got a permit so you can tool around on your new scooter - and hope everything goes okay? If I'm reading this right, I suggest you do some more preparation as a rider before it arrives. At the least - get a copy of David Hough's Proficient Motorcycling. Better yet, take a local MSF basic riding course. You can hardly overdo it in trying to make sure that first couple of months of riding a scooter goes well. I wish you the best - ride safe, have fun!
Mulliganal

Post by Mulliganal »

Dooglas wrote:Well, I've got a suggestion for something to do while you wait. About "scooter permit - check"? Does that mean that you have no riding experience and just got a permit so you can tool around on your new scooter - and hope everything goes okay? If I'm reading this right, I suggest you do some more preparation as a rider before it arrives. At the least - get a copy of David Hough's Proficient Motorcycling. Better yet, take a local MSF basic riding course. You can hardly overdo it in trying to make sure that first couple of months of riding a scooter goes well. I wish you the best - ride safe, have fun!
Thanks Dooglas, I was a motorcyclist in New York many years ago but I sure could stand to brush up on my skills so I just ordered David Hough's Proficient Motorcycling, thanks for the advice. Amazon had it for Kindle so I just downloaded it and can start reading today.
listless

Scooter availability

Post by listless »

When I decided to commit in late March -- 2 dealers I contacted said they could order one and have it in June but one dealer had ordered some already so I put a deposit on one of those. They were supposed to ship the first week of April but now looks like sometime in May.

There are none available in the northeastern U.S. as far as I can determine.

I am thinking seriously about the Motorcycle Safety Course but the "Honda Nighthawk 250" used in the course seems so different from driving the Stella. Anyone have thoughts on that? I don't want to drive motorcycles -- I want to drive a scooter (and I know Massachusetts a Stella IS considered a "motorcycle"). I drove a scooter before many years ago (Honda Elite 80) with no training at all -- at this point I'm more worried about shifting than anything. But I am aware that I could learn much about lane positioning and visibility and defensive driving, etc...I'd just like to do it on my scooter.
Dooglas

Re: Scooter availability

Post by Dooglas »

listless wrote:When I decided to commit in late March -- 2 dealers I contacted said I am thinking seriously about the Motorcycle Safety Course but the "Honda Nighthawk 250" used in the course seems so different from driving the Stella. Anyone have thoughts on that? I don't want to drive motorcycles -- I want to drive a scooter (and I know Massachusetts a Stella IS considered a "motorcycle"). I drove a scooter before many years ago (Honda Elite 80) with no training at all -- at this point I'm more worried about shifting than anything. But I am aware that I could learn much about lane positioning and visibility and defensive driving, etc...I'd just like to do it on my scooter.
Many scooter riders have done the MSF course on a small motorcycle. I don't believe that decreases the learning experience in any way - and if you are going to drop a bike while practicing, it is better if it is one of theirs :wink: . The main reason some beginners develop angst about the small motorcycles often used in MSF courses, is that they psych themselves out about shifting. In your case, you will be shifting anyway, so there goes that argument. In some areas, MSF training on a scooter is also available but I don't know about your area. My advise is just do it. You will learn a great deal.