New to the forum and new Stella owner!

The original 2-stroke Genuine scooter and its 4-stroke manual and automatic offspring

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

TheHead

New to the forum and new Stella owner!

Post by TheHead »

Hi guys ,

Been lurking for a while but decided to finally join. Just bought for my first ( well not really first , had an Elite 80cc when I was 17 now 32) scooter. I picked up a used 2004 Stella. Black with standard chrome rear rack , 2300 miles , it was used and stored in the city so some minor cosmetic scratches and dings. Motor could use a good application of Gunk to cut some of road grease and oil.

Currently the battery is dead but the electric starter works and kick starting fired up 1st or 2nd kick. As I mentioned she was in the city and stored outside covered so some of the rubber boots and gromets are cracked from dry rot.

There is some good rubber left on the tires and the spare appears unused. The bike ran great shifted smooth and had plenty of pep. I test rode it on a city street so it was difficult to judge top speed but was told about 60 ish.

I think I can Repair all the minor issues for a few hundred bucks but even without the minor repairs she looks pretty good. So I have a few questions...

Is there any particular 2 stroke oil most Stella owners use , or is it more personal preference?

I have looked around the web for part suppliers but which supplier seems to be the best price and quality , I'm not looking for performance just stock parts.

Can anyone recommend a good service manual ,if one exists...

Great forum and seems like a great community and following. I look forward to chatting with you all.

Cheers!

Kris AKA TheHead
Lovelandstella

Re: New to the forum and new Stella owner!

Post by Lovelandstella »

TheHead wrote:...I have a few questions...

Is there any particular 2 stroke oil most Stella owners use , or is it more personal preference?
people do have favorites they like, it can even depends on what you like to smell (strawberry?) what color you want to see in your sight glass, and boring stuff like "which ones work the best" - plus there are other scents you can buy and put a couple drops in the oil to make it smell different or however you want - no matter which oil you get - they used to be on scooterworks.com but now I cant find them there. (might be user error)

I have looked around the web for part suppliers but which supplier seems to be the best price and quality, I'm not looking for performance just stock parts.
again scooterworks.com is good, it sounds silly but really anything you see ads for on this site are good reputable online places. I also reccommend your locate a local dealer - they are good sources for parts and advice for all kinds of things and some will have discounts on parts you buy from them. Some.

Can anyone recommend a good service manual ,if one exists...
someone else wanna grab this one? there are a few online links here at modern buddy - I just can't seem to find it myself.
Last edited by Lovelandstella on Fri Apr 22, 2011 3:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
~Lovelandstella
----------------------------------------
lmyers

Post by lmyers »

In the Reference Section, there's a wealth of information, including links to many service manuals including the 2t Stella. I buy the bulk of my parts from http://www.scootermercato.com/. He's got a great discount program and his shipping is incredibly reasonable. And finally, you can find the answer to just about any question you have on http://www.stellaspeed.com/search.html. Just make sure you've exhausted every search possibility you can dream up before posting a question.
T'Pring

Post by T'Pring »

Can't add much to the above [excellent] advice except... welcome.

Lots of good advice and ideas in this forum.
If you choose not to decide -- you still have made a choice.
DirtyRAT

Post by DirtyRAT »

Welcome, from a fellow new member!
Image Image
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

Congrats on the sweet ride!

As far as oil, I suggest a good fully synthetic 2T oil made for injection (not for pre-mix only).

I like Motul and Klotz. The more important thing is to pick a brand and stick with it instead of changing back and forth.

I have been writing my legislative representatives for the introduction of a Constitutional Amendment banning the sale, use, and possession of scented 2T oils. :D
"Things fall apart - it's scientific" - David Byrne
www.teamscootertrash.com

'06 Cream Buddy 125, 11 Blur 220, 13 BMW C 650 GT, 68 Vespa SS180, 64 Vespa GS MK II, 65 Lambretta TV 175, 67 Vespa GT, 64 Vespa 150 VBB 64 Vespa GL
lmyers

Post by lmyers »

BuddyRaton wrote:I have been writing my legislative representatives for the introduction of a Constitutional Amendment banning the sale, use, and possession of scented 2T oils. :D
:+!:
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

Welcome to MB. There are some Stella manuals posted at topic17349.html
ScootLemont

Post by ScootLemont »

Welcome

I use the ipone oil - thats what my dealer set it up with & the recommended it so thats all its ever had

http://www.scooterworks.com/2-Stroke-Oi ... P2432.aspx

Have fun & ride safe
TheHead

Thanks!

Post by TheHead »

Thanks guys for all the great info. This morning I took of the covers and am in the process of cleaning/degreasing the engine and working on the seat. The latch gets stuck so I had to remove the seat by taking off the four nuts under the front of the seat , it seems something is mis aligned.

Also , the clutch needs adjustment (I think) it seems a little touchy when I release the clutch , unless I am very slow releasing she jumps. When I'm release super slow while giving gas it takes off smooth. It also jumps just a bit when putting it into first.

I was able to find the service station manual so I'm in the process of reviewing that but does anyone have any advice on how to adjust the clutch to make it shift and change gears a bit smoother?

I did take it for a ride yesterday and am really surprised how fast this little bike is. The 2 stroke engine is really quick to get up to speed. I had it going about 50 and there was still some throttle left.

Again thanks for the replies and help guys this is a great forum/community
taurussvt

Post by taurussvt »

The clutches on these things can be a bit touchy. Best advice I can give you is to make sure the adjustment's within spec, and try to get used to it. Stellas, or Vespas in general are notorious for doing surprise wheelies when people are first learning to ride them. Give it some time, going easy on the clutch, and I'm sure it will start working for you.

As far as the bike jumping, or clunking in to 1st gear goes, that's actually completely normal. If you ever looked at the inside of the gear box, you'd see that it's a normal thing for that to happen. If it helps, look at other scooters or motorcycles at lights. When they get shifted in to gear, they almost always let out a pretty good clunk, and you can usually see the whole bike, or in the case of rubber mounts, the engine shake.
TheHead

Good info

Post by TheHead »

taurussvt wrote:The clutches on these things can be a bit touchy. Best advice I can give you is to make sure the adjustment's within spec, and try to get used to it. Stellas, or Vespas in general are notorious for doing surprise wheelies when people are first learning to ride them. Give it some time, going easy on the clutch, and I'm sure it will start working for you.

As far as the bike jumping, or clunking in to 1st gear goes, that's actually completely normal. If you ever looked at the inside of the gear box, you'd see that it's a normal thing for that to happen. If it helps, look at other scooters or motorcycles at lights. When they get shifted in to gear, they almost always let out a pretty good clunk, and you can usually see the whole bike, or in the case of rubber mounts, the engine shake.
Thanks for the info , I'm gonna review the service info and readjust the clutch , I've popped a few wheelies already but am starting to get used to the way it rides , it's a great little bike.
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

If it was stored for w while the corks on the clutch plates may be a bit dry and this can cause it to grab. Change out the gear box oil, (it may be low) and replace with 30W Non-detergent motor oil. Should take all of 10 minutes to do and may make a difference.

If not there are a few tricks for loosening up sticky clutch plates, but see what happens after changing the gear oil first.
"Things fall apart - it's scientific" - David Byrne
www.teamscootertrash.com

'06 Cream Buddy 125, 11 Blur 220, 13 BMW C 650 GT, 68 Vespa SS180, 64 Vespa GS MK II, 65 Lambretta TV 175, 67 Vespa GT, 64 Vespa 150 VBB 64 Vespa GL
TheHead

Post by TheHead »

BuddyRaton wrote:If it was stored for w while the corks on the clutch plates may be a bit dry and this can cause it to grab. Change out the gear box oil, (it may be low) and replace with 30W Non-detergent motor oil. Should take all of 10 minutes to do and may make a difference.

If not there are a few tricks for loosening up sticky clutch plates, but see what happens after changing the gear oil first.
Yeah that's a good idea , I had planned to change the oil but am going to make it the next priority. Thanks for the advice. Once I get it clean and put the fowls back on post pics for everyone.