Buddy 125 Under Belly Debris Frame Shield

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Hugo

Buddy 125 Under Belly Debris Frame Shield

Post by Hugo »

The frame behind the front fender is very exposed and vulnerable to debris, such as stones and water, so I engineered a a simple cowling for protection.
This modification only requires a black office-style trash can, tin snips and a Dremmel tool.
Here are the before and after photos of my successful project...
Attachments
Tabs are designed to overlap the section where front shield and side panels meet.  Simply align and install screws....  Done!!
Tabs are designed to overlap the section where front shield and side panels meet. Simply align and install screws.... Done!!
buddy 012.jpg (24.64 KiB) Viewed 1951 times
Cut to fit.  I designed it so the upper portion tucks underneath front shield.
Cut to fit. I designed it so the upper portion tucks underneath front shield.
buddy 015.jpg (27.21 KiB) Viewed 1951 times
Trash can section.
Trash can section.
buddy 013.jpg (33.67 KiB) Viewed 1951 times
Lots of debris can chip the frame.
Lots of debris can chip the frame.
buddy 011.jpg (35.66 KiB) Viewed 1951 times
Last edited by Hugo on Tue Mar 29, 2011 9:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"The All Is One..."
PeteH

Post by PeteH »

Nicely done!
Syd

Post by Syd »

Nicely done indeed, but I wonder will that impede air flow and cause the engine to run hot/overheat?
The majority is always sane - Nessus
Hugo

Post by Hugo »

Syd wrote:Nicely done indeed, but I wonder will that impede air flow and cause the engine to run hot/overheat?
The thought had entered my mind, but many scooters have the entire belly section completely covered--even 2 strokes, which run super hot. There still seems to be much area behind the battery for air flow--not to mention the stock cooling system.
"The All Is One..."
Keys

Post by Keys »

Are you maybe reducing cooling airflow?

--Keys
"Life without music would Bb"
cheez37

Post by cheez37 »

Hugo wrote:
Syd wrote:Nicely done indeed, but I wonder will that impede air flow and cause the engine to run hot/overheat?
The thought had entered my mind, but many scooters have the entire belly section completely covered--even 2 strokes, which run super hot. There still seems to be much area behind the battery for air flow--not to mention the stock cooling system.
Isn't air the 'stock' cooling system? Where do you think you are getting the additional cooling?
Lostmycage
FAQ Moderator

Post by Lostmycage »

That looks very nice, but it's going to cause the engine to overheat.
Check out :arrow: Scoot Richmond's new site: My awesome local shop.
Hugo

Post by Hugo »

The engine is already shrouded by the plastic cooling system. The only exposed area is where the exhaust connects.
"The All Is One..."
PeteH

Post by PeteH »

That's a good point - does the engine cooling air only come in the right-side fan intake, or is it also drawn in from below? I'm thinking (without looking at the scoot) that maybe air gets drawn in by the fan, but warm air is exhausted out the bottom. The hot air's gotta go somewhere.

On the 150s, there's an oil cooler down there, so this panel idea might not be so hot (pun intended). I'd have to stick my head down under the 150 and take a look.
Lostmycage
FAQ Moderator

Post by Lostmycage »

Think of it this way: that's where they mount the oil cooler on the 150 models. Even if your 125 doesn't have an oil cooler, it still uses the air that passes through there to cool things off. Removing the air from an air cooled engine is like running a water cooled engine without water.
mattgordon

Post by mattgordon »

Lostmycage wrote:Think of it this way: that's where they mount the oil cooler on the 150 models. Even if your 125 doesn't have an oil cooler, it still uses the air that passes through there to cool things off. Removing the air from an air cooled engine is like running a water cooled engine without water.
The oil cooler is already behind the battery box which impedes it's airflow immediately in front of it.

The Buddy's are forced-air fan cooled anyway, with the air intake on the side being drawn in by the fan, not passively cooled like a motorcycle. In fact the shrouding surrounding the cylinder and head for the fanned air isolate those items from the ambient air.

No problem-o.
Lostmycage
FAQ Moderator

Post by Lostmycage »

Knock yourself out. I can't speak for certain that this would cause overheating and Mattgordon makes some good points. There are a few parts that aren't covered by the cooling shroud that do depend on ambient air flow.

If the Buddy had a temp gage I could see it being worth it trying out if undercarriage debri and muck is that problematic, but since all any of us can do is guess, *I* wouldn't try it.

Keep us updated on how it does through the summer.
PeteH

Post by PeteH »

MattGordon wrote:The Buddy's are forced-air fan cooled anyway, with the air intake on the side being drawn in by the fan, not passively cooled like a motorcycle. In fact the shrouding surrounding the cylinder and head for the fanned air isolate those items from the ambient air.

No problem-o.
Yeah, but you're only looking at one side of it.

Yes, the fan pulls air into the shroud, but where does it get exhausted? You've got to get rid of the hot air, and if it's supposed to be vented downwards, then such a plate might block it.
BootScootin'FireFighter

Post by BootScootin'FireFighter »

asthetically it looks nice, and cleanly cut and mounted at that. My opinion, and it's just that, an opinion... is that if the undercarriage weren't an important aspect of air circulation, then PGO designers would've covered it up from the start.
Tocsik

Post by Tocsik »

Hey Hugo,
I hope the comments haven't been too discouraging or taken the wrong way. You did a really nice job cleaning up the underneath of your scoot with this shroud.
I have to admit, though, there is a lot of air flow right in that area. You can feel it when the motor is running. Others on this forum have wondered if there was an exhaust leak because they felt so much air movement underneath. It may well be the spot where the fan ejects the hot air so be careful, bro!
.::I know the voices in my head aren't real, but man do they come up with some great ideas::.
charlie55

Post by charlie55 »

If you're worried about overheating now, or become concerned in the future, you could always compromise by drilling an array of holes in the guard (really nice install; wish I could learn how to cut things neatly without losing body parts), or switching over to a plastic mesh/grid. Granted, it wouldn't do much to keep out water, but it should keep out the majority of the heavier stuff.
mattgordon

Post by mattgordon »

BootScootin'FireFighter wrote:asthetically it looks nice, and cleanly cut and mounted at that. My opinion, and it's just that, an opinion... is that if the undercarriage weren't an important aspect of air circulation, then PGO designers would've covered it up from the start.
My Toyota has a factory underbelly shroud thst covers all the cooling system essentially sealing it off from the roadway. The cooling air still finds its way from the radiator etc out the rear of the vehicle thanks to the motion of the vehicle and the action of the fan.

The bean counters may have seen things differently in reference to what is essentially a "modesty panel" in a (constant) effort to keep manufacturing and market costs down. (ever wonder why there is no oil pressure light? Cost.)
bigbropgo

Post by bigbropgo »

looks pretty slick. you have extra garbage can left, just come halfway back from the new piece and hang it a little lower and its like a air induction fin (or something like that). not sure about the over heating as i don't have a buddy. looks good though.
no i don't ride a scooter, i am a scooter pilot!
VICTUS MORTUUS VENATOR
Hugo

Post by Hugo »

Looking at it logically. it seems that PGO simply left that space open in order to allow freedom for the framework, which slightly sticks out (I gently bent the little plate back to allow for smooth install).
As mentioned before, plenty/most scooters are completely covered in that area--including much hotter running 2 strokes.
If the air system is doing its job correctly, I can't imagine an issue. There is also plenty of air space surrounding the exhaust port.
"The All Is One..."
Stormswift

Post by Stormswift »

When I managed to bust up the fan cover on my Buddy and needed temp. something to prevent small stones from being sucked in or accidentally hitting the fan I went to hardware store and got gutter cover aluminum netting type strips. I shaped and secured the make-shift cover and it stood up to the heat until I replaced it with factory cover 6 months later. I think the temp. fix may actually have promoted better airflow. If I was doing anything on the bottom of the scoot this is what I would try to use and see if it would do the same job as solid cover without holding in the heat.
I am not a scooter snob.
I am a scooter connoisseur
Hugo

Post by Hugo »

Tocsik wrote:Hey Hugo,
I hope the comments haven't been too discouraging or taken the wrong way. You did a really nice job cleaning up the underneath of your scoot with this shroud.
I have to admit, though, there is a lot of air flow right in that area. You can feel it when the motor is running. Others on this forum have wondered if there was an exhaust leak because they felt so much air movement underneath. It may well be the spot where the fan ejects the hot air so be careful, bro!
Why would the airflow of this scooter be any different from any other scooter that has the belly completely covered? The Zuma 50 2-stroke runs much hotter than the Buddy 125. It has a concealed belly using the typical shrouded air cooling system with no problems.
I'm not trying to be redundant or beat a dead horse, but there is not an official verdict on whether this area has been left open for reasons of panel fitment or airflow.
If PGO were considering airflow, they might not have had the lower battery compartment directly obstructing the immediate path towards the cylinder--same as so many scoots (50-250cc) with a completely concealed belly panel.
Last edited by Hugo on Tue Apr 19, 2011 12:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
"The All Is One..."
gearhead

Post by gearhead »

You'll be fine... The peice of the engine not covered by the engine shroud is the valve cover and that gets air from the vented plastic peice behind your feet while riding :D
andylaiphoto

Post by andylaiphoto »

Looks great.
Andy Lai Photography
http://www.andylaiphoto.com

jasondavis48108

Post by jasondavis48108 »

the underside of my sh150 is completly covered (makes cleaning it a whole lot easier). I can't imagine that you'd have any issues and it looks quite nice :)
"Only the curious have, if they live, a tale worth telling at all" Alastair Reid