Prima Roll or S/X Appeal top case, any thoughts

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Mulliganal

Prima Roll or S/X Appeal top case, any thoughts

Post by Mulliganal »

on which of these is better? I've heard some were not totall happy with the fading of the Prima case or with the buckles, but has anyone tried the S/X appreal case? I'm wondering if the S/X Appeal would have the same fading problems.

".....Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us......"
Keys

Post by Keys »

I had one of the S/X bags. Was fabulous!!! Never had a single issue...I regret having let it go with a scooter I sold.

--Keys
"Life without music would Bb"
Silver Streak

Post by Silver Streak »

I have two of the S/X Appeal bags -- one in black and one in brown. They fade too, unfortunately, but they are very well made and really hold a lot. The one on my 2007 Vespa LX has been on there nearly three years with no issues other than the fading. I don't have a garage, and the scoot has lived outdoors, uncovered most of the time.
Dave

www.glyphukulele.com

"You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice."
Mulliganal

Post by Mulliganal »

Keys wrote:I had one of the S/X bags. Was fabulous!!! Never had a single issue...I regret having let it go with a scooter I sold.

--Keys
Thanks Keys, I think I'm going to pick one up.
".....Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us......"
Jennyfer

Post by Jennyfer »

I just recently acquired a Prima Case with my scooter purchase and yeah...

They do fade and get dusty and mine came with a broken buckle. That being said, the interior of the pack is zippered so I think the buckle was more for aesthetics than really serving any purpose other than to secure the top flap down...but it doesn't fly up either.

They do tend to hang on the back of my Buddy and cover the taillight, even with a designated rack which was bought to help mediate that problem.

No experience with the other one.
I try and stay limber, swim, run, ride my scooter.
jasondavis48108

Post by jasondavis48108 »

I have the small prima roll bag for my front rack and I love it but I always bring it inside with me so I don't know how it would hold up in the elements.
"Only the curious have, if they live, a tale worth telling at all" Alastair Reid
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

I hate to say it but both are somewhat flawed. Still the S/X seems to hold up better over time. I have the Prima and it's okay but I don't use it unless I need it on the Stella. (Also, I got it for $20, so no complaints here.)
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
Mulliganal

Re: Prima Roll or S/X Appeal top case, any thoughts

Post by Mulliganal »

Mulliganal wrote:Image
What I'd really like to have is this same bag in a nice tan naugahyde/pleather type material; does anyone make such an item?

I see a few in leather but I don't want to shell out $400 for a leather trunk bag.
PeteH

Post by PeteH »

The scooterwest site only shows the black S/X bag when you browse the accessories, but the detail inside the black bag's listing (http://www.scooterwest.com/item_details ... -BLACK/162) says that it's available in black _and_ tan. You might want to contact them.
Witch

Post by Witch »

SX bag is definately available in tan. I've got a tan one sitting on my scoot right now.
ScootLemont

Post by ScootLemont »

while we are talking about these....

do you actually have to unbuckle the two buckles to open it each time?
Or are they for show?

On work days, I am in & out of my top case all day long (each customer stop) so dealing with buckles would be a pain

But... it wold look much better on my Stella than my plastic top case
Silver Streak

Post by Silver Streak »

ScootLemont wrote:while we are talking about these....

do you actually have to unbuckle the two buckles to open it each time?
Or are they for show?

On work days, I am in & out of my top case all day long (each customer stop) so dealing with buckles would be a pain

But... it wold look much better on my Stella than my plastic top case
They are mostly for show (and to provide capability for adjustment of the strap lengths). There are modern Delrin snap buckles behind the traditional "belt buckles" that allow you to undo the straps effortlessly. It actually provides more flexibility than a hard topcase because you can accommodate fairly tall loads by adjusting the straps to full length.
Dave

www.glyphukulele.com

"You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice."
Lovelandstella

Re: Prima Roll or S/X Appeal top case, any thoughts

Post by Lovelandstella »

Mulliganal wrote:... I'm wondering if the S/X Appeal would have the same fading problems...
Lovelandstella wrote:...Also the SX apparently includes a rain cover (handy), and claims to have a UV protective coating to prevent fading...
[from: topic17599.html ]
even if the S/X UV protective coating doesn't work- maybe you could just leave the rain cover on it when parked outside? that's what I was thinking of doing if I get one of these.
~Lovelandstella
----------------------------------------
amudzen

Post by amudzen »

SX case is the one I am eyeing. Was looking for Primas but read up on both and SX does seem superior. The price is holding me back though as I wouldn’t use it enough to justify spending over $100 for one.
ScootLemont

Post by ScootLemont »

thanks Silver Streak for the buckle info
ScootLemont

Post by ScootLemont »

Ok... Brown or Black on a red Stella?
What do you think?
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

ScootLemont wrote:Ok... Brown or Black on a red Stella?
What do you think?
2T: Black.
4T: Brown.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
ScootLemont

Post by ScootLemont »

ericalm wrote:
What do you think?
Funny E
Silver Streak

Post by Silver Streak »

Yep.

Here's my 4T:
Dave

www.glyphukulele.com

ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

See? :)

4T has brown seat & grips. 2T has black! Somehow fitting.
ScootLemont

Post by ScootLemont »

Eric
I thought you were yanking my chain - I didnt realize the grips & seat were not black on the 4T

Now I am torn....
I think I would like the tan better... but it looks like the tan SX is no more - at least from ScooterWest
but... I just found it here for $80
http://www.scootertronics.com/sxrollbag.html

but... maybe the black would look better with my black seat

but... I am thinking that black bag is going to get HOT in the summer (I am sure the tan will also... but the black would be worse)

And... havent I seen a post from Eric with a black leather bag?

crap! this should not be that difficult to pick a freekin bag
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

ScootLemont wrote:And... havent I seen a post from Eric with a black leather bag?
Not from me!

I'm working on some custom bags & cases for my (hopefully forthcoming replacement) Stella. I have plans for that scoot!
Mulliganal

Post by Mulliganal »

ericalm wrote:
ScootLemont wrote:And... havent I seen a post from Eric with a black leather bag?
Not from me!

I'm working on some custom bags & cases for my (hopefully forthcoming replacement) Stella. I have plans for that scoot!
You gettin' another creme Stella or are you going with another color?
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Mulliganal wrote:
ericalm wrote:
Not from me!

You gettin' another creme Stella or are you going with another color?
Haven't decided yet. Part of me feels like getting creme again would be like cloning a dead pet. It'll look the same, but it's not!
ScootLemont

Post by ScootLemont »

ericalm wrote:Part of me feels like getting creme again would be like cloning a dead pet. It'll look the same, but it's not!
RePet

Lovelandstella

Post by Lovelandstella »

ericalm wrote:
Mulliganal wrote:...You gettin' another creme Stella or are you going with another color?
Haven't decided yet. Part of me feels like getting creme again would be like cloning a dead pet. It'll look the same, but it's not!
Wha? you are getting another one? why? is it cuz you laid it down?
I'm dumb. I obviously missed a big post somewhere.
are you okay?
Last edited by Lovelandstella on Fri Apr 22, 2011 5:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
~Lovelandstella
Lovelandstella

Post by Lovelandstella »

ericalm wrote:
What do you think?
+1
~Lovelandstella
devojones

Post by devojones »

This: Image w/bungee net.
KABarash

Post by KABarash »

devojones wrote:This: Image w/bungee net.
Egg-zactly what I'm using these days 13"x18"x13" a weeks worth of groceries or a case of beer fits just right
Aging is mandatory, growing up is optional.
My kids call me 'crazy', I prefer 'Eccentric'.
Nullius in verba
Lovelandstella

Post by Lovelandstella »

KABarash wrote:
Egg-zactly what I'm using these days 13"x18"x13" a weeks worth of groceries or a case of beer fits just right
Okay, but share how you connect it to the scoot. bolts? U shaped screws?
It's got to be more than bungies as a case of beer is heavy and would/could tip that thing right over.
Could you get specific and perhaps others can benefit from your knowledge?
~Lovelandstella
Mulliganal

Post by Mulliganal »

I just can't see such a beautiful scooter like the Stella being strapped with an ugly milk crate, but that's just me.
KABarash

Post by KABarash »

Lovelandstella wrote:
KABarash wrote:
Okay, but share how you connect it to the scoot. bolts? U shaped screws?
It's got to be more than bungies as a case of beer is heavy and would/could tip that thing right over.
Could you get specific and perhaps others can benefit from your knowledge?
I used bungies (stretched extremely tightly) for a while (2+ years) and switched to bolts with fender washers and lock nuts when I noticed the bungies fraying...
What I'm noticing now, is that the crate itself is beginning to deteriorate and crack at the bottom.
Aging is mandatory, growing up is optional.
My kids call me 'crazy', I prefer 'Eccentric'.
Nullius in verba
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Lovelandstella wrote:
ericalm wrote:
Mulliganal wrote:...You gettin' another creme Stella or are you going with another color?
Wha? you are getting another one? why? is it cuz you laid it down?
I'm dumb. I obviously missed a big post somewhere.
are you okay?
It got taken out by a Mercedes minivan. I was lucky not to be taken out with it!
viewtopic.php?t=635&postdays=0&postorde ... 050#226850
ScootLemont

Post by ScootLemont »

I like the milk crate idea but....
I use my stella to visit customers & that means I am usually carrying a writing pad in a leather folio, my iPad & contracts - so I prefer something closed, water resistant & out of site.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Stella has a nice, big-ass glove box! I have a padded case for my external hard drives that fits snugly in there and still leaves room for tools and gloves and all the other crap I carry. My small camera bag fits in there quite well, too. I imagine it'd do well with a folio and iPad.
ScootLemont

Post by ScootLemont »

you are so right Eric - THANKS

I am still not used to having that glove box - you just saved me the $$$ for the roll bag - I will just hang onto my top case & only use that when I need to haul something big - its easy enough to snap on & off

But I do need to pick up a more padded case for the iPad if I am going to have it bouncing around in there.

I really want a folio that will hold both an iPad and a legal pad of paper - You would think that would be easy to find but no......

Coffeejunkie

Post by Coffeejunkie »

I went the other route and got a set of Givi saddle bags for Victoria. They're one of the best buys I've made so far. They've got a ton of storage space, and better yet I can take them off at the grocery store and use them as my shopping bags. I've gotten a few strange looks, but heck it makes it a lot easier to load and unload groceries.
Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

http://javascoots.wordpress.com/
Lovelandstella

Post by Lovelandstella »

ericalm wrote:
Lovelandstella wrote:... Wha? you are getting another one? ... are you okay?
It got taken out by a Mercedes minivan. I was lucky not to be taken out with it!
viewtopic.php?t=635&postdays=0&postorde ... 050#226850
:shock: oh geeze. I am sorry. thats sucks - +1 to everyone's comments on that topic.
sad you are banged up but glad you are okay.
and the stella dmg is worse than unfortunate. wow.
~Lovelandstella
ScootLemont

Post by ScootLemont »

ok... over a year later.... I just ordered my SX roll bag in black
Silver Streak

Post by Silver Streak »

ScootLemont wrote:ok... over a year later.... I just ordered my SX roll bag in black
That's interesting. I'd heard they were being discontinued. :?
Dave

www.glyphukulele.com

BlueMark

Post by BlueMark »

I had the S/X bag and it served me well. It is surprising how huge the space is inside it - yes you can fit a case of beer, or diet soda, in there - or two helmets. And surprisingly it was fairly watertight.

Downsides - it can't be locked up as securely as a hard case, and after a while the base sagged down where it overhangs the rack platform. I was considering putting an extended base underneath it to extend support the full length - the inside stiffener doesn't prevent sagging below.
ScootLemont

Post by ScootLemont »

Here is a pic with my new SX roll bag - I like the look a lot
My Shad 29 top case was much more practical & secure but I was never crazy about how it looked on my Stella -

By the way... I am selling my SHAD 29 top case if anyone is interested
topic22091.html
viney266

Post by viney266 »

Besides. I personally find the fade kinda cool. My galindo tailbag has 8-9 years of fade to it. It still works ( i respray it with waterproofing once a year). But they fade says to me..."yeah, I ride THAT much :) "
Speed is only a matter of money...How fast do you want to go?