How long do you keep a helmet?

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Halloweenie

How long do you keep a helmet?

Post by Halloweenie »

I have been fanatical about my helmets since I had a particularly nasty wreck on my bicycle about 8 years ago and my helmet saved my life. My current full-face helmet is around 2 years old and I am feeling the itch to replace it.

I was just wondering how long everyone else keeps their brain buckets before replacing them?
226 Vintage Hot Wing, GGR Hot Reeds, Mazzy Race Cut Crank, P200 filter, 128 Main, BJ Stack, Trailtech CHT

AAA-O Anything, Anytime, Anywhere, Bar None
jasondavis48108

Post by jasondavis48108 »

I've thought about this quite a bit myself. I think before I chucked my helemt I'd look up how long the manufacturer says they are good for first. My old helmet said it should be replaced after three years. Not sure If that's standard or if it varies by brand. MY guess is that they are erring on the side of caution with the three year number since the foam is not exposed to the sun like our bicycle helmets are. I would say that if you have had the helmet for five years though, it's time for a new one.
"Only the curious have, if they live, a tale worth telling at all" Alastair Reid
gearhead

Post by gearhead »

3-5 yrs
babblefish

Post by babblefish »

My last helmet was about 20 years old when I decided it was probably a good idea to replace it because whenever I took it off, there was a pile of foam on top of my head. No exaggeration. :| I don't think I'll wait quite as long to replace my current helmet...
Some people can break a crowbar in a sandbox.
texepictetus

Helmet

Post by texepictetus »

I took an MSF course about two months ago and the said 2-3 years.
Dibber

Post by Dibber »

I've been told the same of 2-3 years or after you have crashed and banged your head on the road. Then it should be replace immediately. Dropping your helmet on the floor or parking lot may also shorten the life. But then I don't ever get rid of mine. I just collect them.
Bart "This is the worst day of my life!" Homer "No it's the worst day so far!"
www.twincitiesrider.com
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

I go three years. Also when I ride to work I take it into the office. I have no evidence at all, but it gets very hot down here and I just don't think it is good for the components to store it in an oven!
"Things fall apart - it's scientific" - David Byrne
www.teamscootertrash.com

'06 Cream Buddy 125, 11 Blur 220, 13 BMW C 650 GT, 68 Vespa SS180, 64 Vespa GS MK II, 65 Lambretta TV 175, 67 Vespa GT, 64 Vespa 150 VBB 64 Vespa GL
TVB

Post by TVB »

I'm suspicious of manufacturer recommendations. They have two big motives for telling you to replace your helmet frequently (profit and liability deniability) and none for telling you to do it infrequently, so... why should I believe them? The MSF is more objective, but they still have an understandable incentive to err on the side of caution and no incentive not to. I'd be interested to see any credible independent studies of how long before a typical helmet loses its ability to absorb impact.

(I'd also be interested in seeing independent scientific confirmation of the oft-repeated claim that dropping an empty helmet on the ground is likely to compromise it. My understanding of physics suggests to me that a helmet that could be damaged by that small level of force – a few pounds at about 5mph – would be worthless when propelled into the pavement by a rider who weighs 50-100 times as much, at 10 times the speed.)

The last thing I want to do is put up with the inconvenience of a helmet that isn't going to protect me if I hit the pavement (like the idiotic kids who wear their bike helmet with the strap unbuckled). But I don't want to waste natural resources and my money on a new helmet if I already have one that'll still do the job.
Last edited by TVB on Sun Apr 24, 2011 1:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Halloweenie

Post by Halloweenie »

TVB wrote: (like the idiotic kids who wear their bike helmet with the strap unbuckled).
Or backwards, or pushed back off of their forehead...I always want to chastise parents of putting their kid's helmet on wrong.
226 Vintage Hot Wing, GGR Hot Reeds, Mazzy Race Cut Crank, P200 filter, 128 Main, BJ Stack, Trailtech CHT

AAA-O Anything, Anytime, Anywhere, Bar None
TVB

Post by TVB »

Halloweenie wrote:
TVB wrote: (like the idiotic kids who wear their bike helmet with the strap unbuckled).
Or backwards, or pushed back off of their forehead...I always want to chastise parents of putting their kid's helmet on wrong.
Or parents who take their kids out for a bike ride, strap helmets onto the kids' heads, but don't wear one themselves. Because kids need to see that being a grown-up is all about taking foolish and unnecessary risks.
jasondavis48108

TVB wrote:I'm suspicious of manufacturer recommendations. They have two big motives for telling you to replace your helmet frequently (profit and liability deniability) and none for telling you to do it infrequently, so... why should I believe them? The MSF is more objective, but they still have an understandable incentive to err on the side of caution and no incentive not to. I'd be interested to see any credible independent studies of how long before a typical helmet loses its ability to absorb impact.

(I'd also be interested in seeing independent scientific confirmation of the oft-repeated claim that dropping an empty helmet on the ground is likely to compromise it. My understanding of physics suggests to me that a helmet that could be damaged by that small level of force – a few pounds at about 5mph – would be worthless when propelled into the pavement by a rider who weighs 50-100 times as much, at 10 times the speed.)

The last thing I want to do is put up with the inconvenience of a helmet that isn't going to protect me if I hit the pavement (like the idiotic kids who wear their bike helmet with the strap unbuckled). But I don't want to waste natural resources and my money on a new helmet if I already have one that'll still do the job.
I share your skepticism. Why is it that we are told that Styrofoam is bad for the environment because it never biodegrades but yet in a mere three short years it breaks down enough to be worthless in protecting our noodle :lol: Problem is that if you get into an accident and you helmet is older than the manufacturer suggests, then they can say "I told you so" in court. Not only that but they prey on the fact that we want to make sure we are taking all the necessary steps to protect ourselves. This is exactly why I have a hard time spending $600 on a helmet. I can buy three $200 helmets like my exo400 which would give me 9 years instead of three.
"Only the curious have, if they live, a tale worth telling at all" Alastair Reid
jasondavis48108

TVB wrote:
Halloweenie wrote:
Or parents who take their kids out for a bike ride, strap helmets onto the kids' heads, but don't wear one themselves. Because kids need to see that being a grown-up is all about taking foolish and unnecessary risks.
:+!: This drives me nuts! I never wore a bicycle helmet before I had a kid but once he had a bike I wanted him to wear a helmet all the time. I had to ask myself why he needed to wear one if I didn't so I started wearing one as well. The same goes for scooter gear. I used to wear very minimal gear, but once my kid started riding with me I wanted him in a FF helmet, jacket, riding pants, boots, gloves, the whole nine. Well if it's necessary for him then it's necessary for me too. Got to lead by example otherwise what they learn is that wearing gear is somehow not required for adults. I know I don't want my kid deciding to go NOTGATT when he becomes an adult himself.
Stormswift

Post by Stormswift »

Well...if there is an itch you treat it like any other itch: You scratch it!!!! :rofl:
I am not a scooter snob.
I am a scooter connoisseur
Quo Vadimus

Post by Quo Vadimus »

jasondavis48108 wrote:
TVB wrote: My understanding of physics suggests to me that a helmet that could be damaged by that small level of force – a few pounds at about 5mph – would be worthless when propelled into the pavement by a rider who weighs 50-100 times as much, at 10 times the speed.)
I share your skepticism. Why is it that we are told that Styrofoam is bad for the environment because it never biodegrades but yet in a mere three short years it breaks down enough to be worthless in protecting our noodle
My understanding has always been that it's the structure, not the substance, that we're concerned with degrading due to a fall (full or not) and/or from exposure to the elements (mostly sun, I'm guessing). You can only use the crumple zones on your car once. Same idea(?). It's still steel - or whatever it is - but not nearly as helpful after one use. Or consider a cardboard box with a melon inside. The rigidity of the edges of the box will soften and resist a sharp blow, but repeated blows will cause more damage to the melon because the edges lose their structure and transmit more force.

* I'm not scientifically knowledgeable in any way, this is just my perception based on fifth-hand knowledge. I have no problem if you believe/know differently based on fact or superstition. I just like analogies.

* So let's not get this thread locked. :D
jasondavis48108

Quo Vadimus wrote:
jasondavis48108 wrote:
TVB wrote: My understanding of physics suggests to me that a helmet that could be damaged by that small level of force – a few pounds at about 5mph – would be worthless when propelled into the pavement by a rider who weighs 50-100 times as much, at 10 times the speed.)
I share your skepticism. Why is it that we are told that Styrofoam is bad for the environment because it never biodegrades but yet in a mere three short years it breaks down enough to be worthless in protecting our noodle
My understanding has always been that it's the structure, not the substance, that we're concerned with degrading due to a fall (full or not) and/or from exposure to the elements (mostly sun, I'm guessing). You can only use the crumple zones on your car once. Same idea(?). It's still steel - or whatever it is - but not nearly as helpful after one use. Or consider a cardboard box with a melon inside. The rigidity of the edges of the box will soften and resist a sharp blow, but repeated blows will cause more damage to the melon because the edges lose their structure and transmit more force.

* I'm not scientifically knowledgeable in any way, this is just my perception based on fifth-hand knowledge. I have no problem if you believe/know differently based on fact or superstition. I just like analogies.

* So let's not get this thread locked. :D
:lol: Don't think you have to worry about the thread egtting locked on my account. I certainly don't have any proof for my theories either. I do totally agree that if a helemt has been dropped from more than a couple feet or cetrainly if it's been in a crash then it should be replaced. I am just skeptical of the idea that a helemt with no histroy of damage needs to be replaced every three years, but I'm no materials scientist myself so my opinion comes mainly from my skepticism of companies whose main goal is to increase profit. I suppose that if you can afford it the best thing to do is just bite the bullet and replace every three years, although if you went 4 or 5 I don't think I'd lose any sleep over it.
Hwarang

Post by Hwarang »

I had wondered about this as well. If I don't fall on MY melon or otherwise drop my helmet, surely it's good for more than 3 years.

Although, I do understand the notion off err on the side of caution when your melon is at stake. ...
"Limitations are the soil from which creativity grows." - Zeldman
"All that glitters is not golden" - Shakespeare
"Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known" - Carl Sagan
"I must not fear. Fear is the mind killer ..." - Dune
TVB

Post by TVB »

Quo Vadimus wrote:My understanding has always been that it's the structure, not the substance, that we're concerned with degrading due to a fall (full or not) and/or from exposure to the elements (mostly sun, I'm guessing). You can only use the crumple zones on your car once. Same idea(?). It's still steel - or whatever it is - but not nearly as helpful after one use. Or consider a cardboard box with a melon inside. The rigidity of the edges of the box will soften and resist a sharp blow, but repeated blows will cause more damage to the melon because the edges lose their structure and transmit more force.
That's a good set of analogies, and it's a legit issue: over time the foam will weaken, and after a significant impact the internal structure will be compromised enough to make it ineffective at absorbing another. The question is how much time is too long, and how strong an impact is too strong. I'd like a less biased source for that.
Brooktown Geezer

Post by Brooktown Geezer »

I tend to be skeptical of the three year lifespan myself.

I am not sure it's the styrofoam that weakens, but the outer shell maybe? To use an extreme example, did you happen to see the American Pickers episode on NASCAR? They showed a helmet from the 70's that had spider cracking all over it. I'm sure helmet technology is light years away from what it used to be, but just about anything breaks down in the sun after a while.
weirdsong1

Post by weirdsong1 »

I have a friend who works as an engineer designing plastics in part for safety equipment such as child seats, and I asked him this question too after I took my MSF course and heard the same information. My friend told me that the plastics they used in safety equipment design typically has a recommended life of 8 years (regardless of use), though he assured me that they would operate effectively long afterward, but that if there were any structural defects that amount of time would likely make them more likely to cause a catastrophic fail in case of an accident. While he didn't know much about motorcycle helmet manufacturing standards, he did say that 2-3 years sounded extremely conservative, and added that the only thing that will significantly reduce the safety of a helmet over a few years period would be a crash.

With that, the Snell Foundation says 5 years on their <a href="http://www.smf.org/helmetfaq#aWhyReplace">website</a>. Sounds reasonable enough to me.
"You can arrest me, but you'll never defeat the Cobras. Nothing can defeat a motorcycle gang!"
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

I know that after a lot of use a helmet tends to loose it's fit for me and get a bit sloppy as the foam compresses after repeated use.
www.teamscootertrash.com

'06 Cream Buddy 125, 11 Blur 220, 13 BMW C 650 GT, 68 Vespa SS180, 64 Vespa GS MK II, 65 Lambretta TV 175, 67 Vespa GT, 64 Vespa 150 VBB 64 Vespa GL
tbonestone

Post by tbonestone »

I replace every season. Neurotic I know, but it's how i roll.
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

tbonestone wrote:I replace every season. Neurotic I know, but it's how i roll.

Roll on tbonestone....roll on! :D
www.teamscootertrash.com

BlueMark

Trust, but verify

Post by BlueMark »

I think it depends on a lot of factors - how often is it worn? Any wear and tear? Is it stored safely, out of the elements and temperature extremes, or left to freeze and bake in a garage?

I'd inspect it, check that the shell is undamaged, strong, shows no sign of anything but cosmetic wear.

Check the foam - is it intact? No crumbling? Still approximately the same stiffness and compressibility all over?

Are all pads and straps in proper condition? Is the face shield easy to see through - not overly scratched or hazed? These can be replaced.

As long as the hard shell and the foam are in good shape, I wouldn't worry about wearing it. EXCEPT if it has been in a collision where it did its job to protect you from impact. It is a one use product.

I wouldn't hesitate to wear a helmet that has been in storage for 10 years, so long as there was no sign of deterioration. But I'd pass on a shiny brand new one that has a dent or flaw in its interior foam or shell.
KRUSTYburger

Post by KRUSTYburger »

I wore my last helmet EVERY DAY for about 2 years. It was getting to the point where the padding was stretched out and it was loose on my head. I wore it with a beanie underneath all winter then when it got too hot for the beanie I finally got a new helmet. Like others have said, I don't think you should necessarily go by time, but by wear & tear (especially if you drop it a lot).
BuddyLicious

Post by BuddyLicious »

It's no different with 99% of the products out there,their designed with materials that have a premature lifespan so that consumers will need to replace the product with new.It's a function of business and consumerism which we have all chosen for ourselves.

Autos,scooters,bicycles,helmets,shovels,any product really could be made with much longer lifespans but thats not good for business is it.

Be sure to replace your helmets every 3-5 years....
Aerosmith, None Other.
BootScootin'FireFighter

Post by BootScootin'FireFighter »

BuddyLicious wrote:It's no different with 99% of the products out there,their designed with materials that have a premature lifespan so that consumers will need to replace the product with new.It's a function of business and consumerism which we have all chosen for ourselves.

Autos,scooters,bicycles,helmets,shovels,any product really could be made with much longer lifespans but thats not good for business is it.

Be sure to replace your helmets every 3-5 years....
my 3 time use mach 3 razors are good for about 3 months.
KABarash

Post by KABarash »

tbonestone wrote:I replace every season. Neurotic I know, but it's how i roll.
Send me some of your 'old' ones..... :D
Aging is mandatory, growing up is optional.
My kids call me 'crazy', I prefer 'Eccentric'.
Nullius in verba
sunshinen

Post by sunshinen »

Quo Vadimus wrote: I just like analogies.
With your helmet, both substance and structure are important. Consider your brain not like a melon but like molded jello. You don't have to have any damage to the protective structure to make your jello sculpture turn into jello salad. You need structure and cushion to protect it.

Consider the element of time on the foam of your helmet like water on your cardboard box. It doesn't have to be an impact to weaken the structural integrity.

Consider dropping an egg (that you'd like to not break and scramble) onto the pavement. Would you rather wrap your egg in a big fluffy blanket or a egg-sized metal crate ... or a metal crate stuffed with a big fluffy blanket? ... Now consider how secure your egg would be if your terrorist of new puppy had a field day removing all the stuffing from your big fluffy blanket, so all you had was essentially a duvet cover in a metal crate protecting your precious egg. (Your puppy's effect on the blanket = father time's effect on foam)
Scooter Commuter
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

The egg analogy is ova the top! :mrgreen:
www.teamscootertrash.com

sunshinen

Post by sunshinen »

That said my helmet is about 5 years old is pretty much covered in superficial paint scratches :roll: and I don't even remotely believe that the suggested replacement time has anything to do with the actual timing of the physical break down of the materials.

But that's just my rather uninformed, skeptical opinion. There probably are some objective materials tests out there...
Scooter Commuter
TVB

Post by TVB »

Quo Vadimus wrote:I just like analogies.
An analogy is like a cute math tutor who explains trigonometry in plain English.
pcbikedude

Post by pcbikedude »

I guess it depends how often you ride your scooter. If you are an everyday ride, like myself, every 2 years is reasonable. If you are a weekend warrior, 5 years is reasonable.

Plus, after awhile of wearing them every day, they start to smell. That's why I'm in the market for a new one right now. Yes, I clean mine, thank you.
The scenery only changes for the lead scooterist.