More Juice Coming To Genuine/Scooter Works

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

hardd1
Dealer

More Juice Coming To Genuine/Scooter Works

Post by hardd1 »

Good News!!!.... :D :D :D

Investment firm recapitalizes Genuine Scooters, Scooter Works USA......
Publish date: May 9, 2011(Dealer News)
Chicago Associates Inc. has recapitalized Genuine Scooters LLC and its parent company Scooter Works USA, according to a news release from Livingstone Partners, an independent investment firm that acted as a financial advisor to Scooter Works. The deal terms were not disclosed.

“Livingstone understood the brand value of Genuine Scooters,” said Phil McCaleb, Scooter Works’ founder and CEO. “They positioned us to secure the equity we needed to continue to grow and compete with the big guys and had our backs at every turn.”
"People rarely succeed unless they have fun in what they are doing"
gearhead

Post by gearhead »

Very good news
jasondavis48108

Post by jasondavis48108 »

I thought Genuine was already capitalized :)
"Only the curious have, if they live, a tale worth telling at all" Alastair Reid
charlie55

Post by charlie55 »

If Wall Street would've invested in scooters instead of mortgages and default swaps, then we'd all be better off. Kudos to an investment firm with the ability to see beyond next quarter's numbers.
Hwarang

Post by Hwarang »

What does this mean in normal human speak? Scooterworks got an influx of cash?
"Limitations are the soil from which creativity grows." - Zeldman
"All that glitters is not golden" - Shakespeare
"Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known" - Carl Sagan
"I must not fear. Fear is the mind killer ..." - Dune
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

So, did they borrow more money because they have major expansion plans (expand to what?) or because they are in financial difficulty?
Skootz Kabootz

Post by Skootz Kabootz »

I can only imagine this means there are some great things instore... and soon in stores.

"It's only fun if you live to talk about it." | Adventurists Scooter Group |
pcbikedude

Post by pcbikedude »

It means that they are using other people's money to run the business instead of their own.

This is a good thing but it comes with strings. It proves that they have a successful enough business that someone is willing to invest in it. However, those people DO and should expect a reasonable return on their money. Their return might come as an IPO or selling the company to a larger competitor.

Is it ultimate a good thing? Depends on if the re-capitalization is enough to fuel future growth. Maybe filling out the Genuine stable of products (i.e. Cruiser scooter) is their goal. Or, it just maybe providing capital in order to keep existing product in the showroom. Who knows at this point?
The scenery only changes for the lead scooterist.
Rippinyarn

Post by Rippinyarn »

That's good news, and a huge vote of confidence by the investment community. I've heard that the "Stella Saga" cost the company "millions of dollars" and I hope that this at least takes the pressure off cash flow during this scooter mini-boom.

We love Genuine for what it is (a bunch of passionate scooterists) but some sound money management will help take the pressure off them and may just benefit the product line sometime soon 8)
Rovers SC
Check out the latest at scooterfile.com
CWO4GUNNER

Post by CWO4GUNNER »

Normally I would say its a good thing but knowing the mentality of profit driven US investors and their influence on the US auto industry and what happened to Harley Davidson when ATF investors stepped in, I wonder! Only time will tell. When ATF invested in HD and almost killed it in the 70's there was a saying owners spent more time pushing there bikes then riding them.
PeteH

Post by PeteH »

AMF ?
pcbikedude

Post by pcbikedude »

PeteH wrote:AMF ?
American Machinery and Foundry

Remember Livingstone is an investment company. They are not enthusiasts. There must be some significant value of Genuine for there to be interest. Where they are going to get their return-on-investment remains to be seen.
CWO4GUNNER

Post by CWO4GUNNER »

Right AMF LOL!:P
Boy you can tell Iv worked with guns weapons systems too long lol. ATF (Alcohol Tobacco & Firearms) If ATF had taken it over Harley never would have recovered lol.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

This is a MUCH different deal than the AMF/Harley deal in the '70s. What almost ruined Harley during that time was changes to the product and manufacturing that turned the faithful away and diluted the brand.

How to almost kill Harley: Brand the motorcycles the same way you brand your line of bowling equipment. Yikes.

For most owners and would-be buyers, this recapitalization will be an unseen, behind-the-scenes deal.

IMHO, what this provides is stability and a hand up after the past few very lean recessionary years and the cash to make some moves to improve Genuine's position in the market and allow for some growth. The Stella issues were costly but also came at a time when US scooter sales dropped over 70%, parts and accessory sales also plummeted and dealers were dropping like flies. Like a lot of businesses, it's one thing to survive, but to move forward there needs to be cash flow.

As big as they may seem to us, Genuine is really an underdog when compared with other scooter companies they compete with. Even SYM and Kymco are fairly large multinationals when compared to Genuine. Though Genuine imports and distributes scooters manufactured by other companies, it's a much different business model than domestic distribution for the other Taiwanese makes.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
Syd

Post by Syd »

I hope it turns out well, but major financial investment in a company usually means at least partial control over that company. Face it, private equity companies are in it for the money, and far too often the company that gets the money initially ends up with little more than a NASDAQ listing and huge debt. I hope that the deal is more a loan than a buy-in.
The majority is always sane - Nessus
Plisar

Post by Plisar »

Kind of scary. I'd hate to see Genuine fall down. I love the PGO and LML product lines, and I love the support that Genuine provides for them.
JHScoot

Post by JHScoot »

even if Genuine "fell down" we would still have scooters to ride :)
Riding is riding
CWO4GUNNER

Post by CWO4GUNNER »

JHScoot wrote:even if Genuine "fell down" we would still have scooters to ride :)
This is true and if they do fall everyone here will have a pre-Chicago Associates Inc. Buddy that will only increase in value just live pre-AMF Harley's.
pcbikedude

Post by pcbikedude »

Syd wrote:Face it, private equity companies are in it for the money, and far too often the company that gets the money initially ends up with little more than a NASDAQ listing and huge debt. I hope that the deal is more a loan than a buy-in.
In a lot cases that happens. They lever every asset (borrow against) get the cash out. Then cash-out additionally by public offering.

A lot depends on how much control the current owners will continue to have. That depends on how much of their own money will be in this partnership.
hardd1
Dealer

Post by hardd1 »

I'm sure Genuine will remain a privately owned company. A very successful company I might add :clap:
CWO4GUNNER

Post by CWO4GUNNER »

As long as they own 51% of the stock or partnership they will have control. But if they make the mistake like so many companies have of selling off more then 51% to different investors with the idea that owning majority shares is just as good, a hostel takeover could ensue. Any investor that manages to gain 51% of controlling shares can walk into the boardroom and declare control!
hardd1
Dealer

Post by hardd1 »

hopefully they offered collateral and shares were not offered :roll:
viney266

Post by viney266 »

Hopefully...They stay "friendly" just like a small company should be...So far they have been good.
Speed is only a matter of money...How fast do you want to go?