Fuse for Cigarette Lighter: Type and Location

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Plisar

Fuse for Cigarette Lighter: Type and Location

Post by Plisar »

Anyone off the top of their head know what type of fuse I need for the cigarette lighter and the location of said fuse? I need to replace and it would like to just go to an auto parts dealer and do a quick switcheroo. I think I blew it tonight by accident messing with a motorcycle compressor a friend gave me. Woops.
Thank god it's on it's own fuse!
HowHH

Post by HowHH »

To my recollection it's a standard automotive blade type fuse (I don't think it's a mini blade), 1 amp. I replaced mine with a 3 amp, since I like the convenience of hooking up the battery tender through the 12v outlet.

To get to the fuse you have to first pull the front cover. I have no pics but there's a pic in this thread:

viewtopic.php?t=2365&highlight=12v+fuse

The easiest way to find it is to just trace back from the 12v accessory wires until you come to a small black plastic case. It has a flip up top.

When you pull out the fuse you can use it to match the proper fuse at the auto parts store. Hardware stores also typically carry these fuses. The different amperages are color-coded.
noisymilk

Post by noisymilk »

If you are wiring savvy, while you're in there you could up the 12v outlets capacity to 10 amps if you want.

I simply stopped using the wires already run there (as they are too small of gauge for 10 amps DC) and picked off a source from after the key switch. On my scoot, it was orange with whit stripe I believe. Then wired in the fuse holder with 12 gauge wire, dropped a ten amp fuse is, and away we go. Ground it with 12 gauge wire to the chassis down by the horn mount.

This does eliminate the ability to charge through the lighter, but makes the outlet switched. I make no claims of the charging system being able to keep up with the draw now possible, but when i'm on the road and want to run my little air compressor to top off tires or refill a flat, I can now.

Otherwise, as stated above, its a 1 amp standard spade type automotive fuse. Be careful as it is a direct battery hookup, and will continue to run whatever is plugged in after switch is off.

Good luck.
-Milk

09 Blackjack
03 Royal Enfield Bullet
'09 Buddy 125 (sold)
'70 Norton Commando (sold)
Lotrat

Post by Lotrat »

Don't just change the fuse with a bigger one. The fuse is sized to protect the wire. You'll notice that the existing 12V port wire is very thin. 3 amp is 3 times higher than stock and could cause your wires to melt.

Wire size is based on the total circuit length (supply + return). You could run a 38 foot circuit running 12 gauge wire for 10 amps. A bit overkill, but you can never have too much overkill. 14 gauge would work up to 24' and 16 gauge would work up to 15' and anything smaller will melt.

Another thought is if anyone knows the rating on the 12V port itself? I may not be rated for higher current connections.

You can search the internet of wire sizing charts to help you select the correct wire if you want to mess around. If in doubt, go bigger.