Florida Panhandlers

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Rob

Florida Panhandlers

Post by Rob »

It looks like I'll achieve one of my life's goals ... early retirement in the next year or two. And with that comes the pursuit of another of my goals ... NEVER spending another winter in the cold and snowy north. While the Chicago area will always be our base because of family and friends, I hope to be out of here come November every year.

Anyway, that all being said, we just returned from a couple of weeks in the Florida panhandle area. We went on a recommendation of a friend suggesting we check the area out as a potential snowbird destination. We spent time in Cape San Blas, which I loved, Destin and Orange Beach, AL.

I have a question for any of you FL panhandlers out there, and I believe there are at least a few. How is the winter climate in regards to allowing me to ride the bikes during the winter months. I really would like to find an area that I can essentially ride the bike(s) most days. I did a check on average temps. and it seems to vary signficantly depending on the area (coastal vs. inland). I'm also wondering about typical precipitation rates. Does it rain often, etc., during the winter months?

Also, any other areas besides those mentioned that should be considered?

Thanks for any advice.

Rob
"Sponges grow in the ocean. That just kills me. I wonder how much deeper the ocean would be if that didn't happen."
- Steven Wright
michelle_7728

Post by michelle_7728 »

LOL! From the name of your topic, I thought you were going to be telling some horror story about an aggressive panhandler that you had to outrun on your Buddy or something! :P
Past bikes: 08' Genuine Buddy 125, '07 Yamaha Majesty 400, '07 Piaggio MP3 250, '08 Piaggio MP3 500, '08 Aprilia Scarabeo 500
Current bikes: Two '09 Genuine Buddy 125's
babblefish

Post by babblefish »

I thought you were talking about a different kind of panhandler...

Some people can break a crowbar in a sandbox.
BootScootin'FireFighter

Post by BootScootin'FireFighter »

Other than hurricanes, monsoons, and sweltering humidity, I can't imagine Florida having any offseason. I manage to ride year round up this way.
Attachments
HomelessManSignNeedMoneyBeerPotHook.JPG
HomelessManSignNeedMoneyBeerPotHook.JPG (28.44 KiB) Viewed 2230 times
KRUSTYburger

Post by KRUSTYburger »

Well, you're talking about staying down here winter only? Like which months? It does get pretty cold, usually just teens... The thing is the cold plus the humidity makes if feel REALLY cold when it's actually only regular cold. Mainly our winters are just shorter than up north so it almost never snows. It's not especially rainy either, actually we get most of our rain in the spring and then during hurricane season (autumn). I ride through the winter, all you really need are a down jacket, helmet, face/neck cover and good winter gloves/mittens. If it's super cold I'll put on some snowboard pants too. Weather is very sporadic here though, temps can change like 20 degrees in a day. It's always a surprise. :wink:
Hellvis

Post by Hellvis »

It's really all the way down here were we have maybe a cold spell for a week or so and even then a light sweater is usually all that you need.

This year however was kind of an exception. But other than that, christmas and new years celebration in t-shirts and shorts and riding.
Live long and prosper.
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

I'll probably get in trouble for asking - but, if you are only concerned about winter weather, why not consider SW Florida. The winter weather there is somewhat warmer and winter riding conditions seem pretty nice to me. I was riding last February down there with afternoon temperatures in the 70s. A couple of my friends live in the Cape Coral / Fort Myers area. Seems like the real estate bargains in that area are pretty astounding right now (at least by West Coast standards). I just couln't do summers there, but if you don't need to do that anyway..... :wink:
Wheelz

Post by Wheelz »

I'll agree with Dooglas on that, we only get like two week of "cold" if you can call it that i think it might drop down below 30 twice all winter.
Nows the time to get a place down here too.
"Hey You, yeah, all you'se thoughts, specially you, creepy wierd one in the corner, Screw you guys, I'm going for a ride..."
KRUSTYburger

Post by KRUSTYburger »

Yeah when I said teens, I meant it gets down to the teens on the coldest nights. It doesn't stay that cold... As for Christmas, sometimes it's tshirt weather and sometimes it's freezing, you just never know.
bkrdoug

winter in florida

Post by bkrdoug »

ROB-----IT is considered southern Georgia till you get below ST. PETE!!!!!!------I live in crystal river (level 2) and hate it. it is cold and miserable a lot of the winter. ONLY the snowbirds think it is acceptable.----i spent 10 yrs in st pete(fine---level 3) and 25 yrs living on my boat in the florida KEYS(level 5)---the KEYS has the finest weather in the continental USA.---however the NJ people bought out the CONCHS --tore it down and made a northern version out of it. between foreigners and tourists(gods worst creature--EVER) it is no longer the KEYS and MANY JUMBIES exist there.------------just the simple truth from someone who has seen annd lived here for 45yrs------------IE: levels---1. georgia/florida border to levy county. 2. levy county to I-4 corredor . 3.I-4 corridor to lake ocheechobee. 4.lake ocheechobee ti homestead.--------level 5 is the florida KEYS--------------GOOD LUCK--the kingfish
basil46

Post by basil46 »

I ride my scooter everyday all year round in South Florida. Weather is not issue. In winter, I wear jacket, long pant, and sometime scarf.
in Spring, Summer and Fall. It is depend. I wear long or short pants.
I don't wear jacket during Spring or Fall except unseasonal cool then I wear down vest.
I wear half helmet, gloves and goggle all the time all the weather.
The summer is rainy season so leave rain coat and pant in the trunk in case.
South Florida like Fort Lauderale is best place to live, work and play than anywhere in Florida!
Major Redneck

Post by Major Redneck »

i was born and raised in the tallahassee area on a farm and live in the panhandle area for 30 years... yes it does get cold but by 10am most winter days its back above 40-45... most the time in the mid 50 by afternoon... rain yes fla. is liquid sunshine most the time... the reason i moved to NC was summer time... the summers in tallahassee just got too me,,, a heat thats hard to get away from if you have to be outside... mosqiteos in the summer will leave you needing a blood transfusion in an hour...

i do miss the year round bike riding weather there unlike in NC it gets too cold and stays that way... so yes most every day is a rider,,, you might get wet but hey its just water... watch for the lovebugs...
Scoot'in is more fun than beating up your sister, and it comes with a key!!!
Rob

Post by Rob »

michelle_7728 wrote:LOL! From the name of your topic, I thought you were going to be telling some horror story about an aggressive panhandler that you had to outrun on your Buddy or something! :P
babblefish wrote:I thought you were talking about a different kind of panhandler...
:) Yeah, I suppose my title subject was a bit ambiguous.
BootScootin'FireFighter wrote:Other than hurricanes, monsoons, and sweltering humidity, I can't imagine Florida having any offseason. I manage to ride year round up this way.
One of the things that threw me some was that in the panhandle, the on-season rental rates start in May and top out June-August. Their off-season rates occur during the winter months. Completely opposite from the south and central areas of FL of which I'm more familiar. That got me to wondering about winter riding conditions.

Rob
"Sponges grow in the ocean. That just kills me. I wonder how much deeper the ocean would be if that didn't happen."
- Steven Wright
Rob

Post by Rob »

KRUSTYburger wrote:Well, you're talking about staying down here winter only? Like which months? It does get pretty cold, usually just teens... The thing is the cold plus the humidity makes if feel REALLY cold when it's actually only regular cold. Mainly our winters are just shorter than up north so it almost never snows. It's not especially rainy either, actually we get most of our rain in the spring and then during hurricane season (autumn). I ride through the winter, all you really need are a down jacket, helmet, face/neck cover and good winter gloves/mittens. If it's super cold I'll put on some snowboard pants too. Weather is very sporadic here though, temps can change like 20 degrees in a day. It's always a surprise. :wink:
Yes, winter only. I'd personally opt for 7 or 8 months a year, but trying to separate the other half from the family for that long would be damn near impossible.

I've ridden in the cold up here and can stay relatively comfortable. But I'd prefer an area that typically allows riding in the 60 to 80 deg range with the occasional drop to 50 deg.

Rob
- Steven Wright
Rob

Post by Rob »

Hellvis wrote:It's really all the way down here were we have maybe a cold spell for a week or so and even then a light sweater is usually all that you need.
Dooglas wrote:I'll probably get in trouble for asking - but, if you are only concerned about winter weather, why not consider SW Florida. I just couln't do summers there, but if you don't need to do that anyway..... :wink:
Wheelz wrote:I'll agree with Dooglas on that, we only get like two week of "cold" if you can call it that i think it might drop down below 30 twice all winter.
Nows the time to get a place down here too.
Actually, we start with and are still considering SW FL as winter snowbird destinations. We've spent considerable time there throughout the years and have come to enjoy many of those areas. But I definitely agree, my thick northern climate acclimated blood could not handle the summer months there.

We were steered toward the panhandle area by one of our friends. He spent most of his life in the south and recommended a trip to this area as being more like the "traditional" south, whatever that means. And while I enjoyed both Destin and Orange Beach, I really loved Cape San Blas. Much more remote, not really close to any larger type city (Panama Beach is an hour away) and would require longer rides whether via bike or cage.

Rob
- Steven Wright
Rob

Re: winter in florida

Post by Rob »

bkrdoug wrote:ROB-----IT is considered southern Georgia till you get below ST. PETE!!!!!!------I live in crystal river (level 2) and hate it. it is cold and miserable a lot of the winter. ONLY the snowbirds think it is acceptable.----i spent 10 yrs in st pete(fine---level 3) and 25 yrs living on my boat in the florida KEYS(level 5)---the KEYS has the finest weather in the continental USA.---however the NJ people bought out the CONCHS --tore it down and made a northern version out of it. between foreigners and tourists(gods worst creature--EVER) it is no longer the KEYS and MANY JUMBIES exist there.------------just the simple truth from someone who has seen annd lived here for 45yrs------------IE: levels---1. georgia/florida border to levy county. 2. levy county to I-4 corredor . 3.I-4 corridor to lake ocheechobee. 4.lake ocheechobee ti homestead.--------level 5 is the florida KEYS--------------GOOD LUCK--the kingfish
Thanks for the summary! Honestly, if I had my choice, I'd live the rest of my life somewhere in the Keys (even after the northern tourists messed it up ... the only version of the Keys that I know :D ), but that's just not in the cards for a variety of reasons. Being bonified snowbirds, riding in the 60 deg stuff, and occasional 50 deg, would be ok. Frequent rain in those temps would not be so great. That's why I'm doing the research to find semi-ideal conditions for us.

Thanks again. Rob
- Steven Wright
Rob

Post by Rob »

Major Redneck wrote:i was born and raised in the tallahassee area on a farm and live in the panhandle area for 30 years... yes it does get cold but by 10am most winter days its back above 40-45... most the time in the mid 50 by afternoon... rain yes fla. is liquid sunshine most the time... the reason i moved to NC was summer time... the summers in tallahassee just got too me,,, a heat thats hard to get away from if you have to be outside... mosqiteos in the summer will leave you needing a blood transfusion in an hour...

i do miss the year round bike riding weather there unlike in NC it gets too cold and stays that way... so yes most every day is a rider,,, you might get wet but hey its just water... watch for the lovebugs...
I think that is about at the lower scale of what we're (actually I'm) looking for with winter riding conditions. Now these lovebugs ... I've heard of them but have no clue of what they are. I get the impression that they might leave an impression if you come across them while riding?

Rob
- Steven Wright
Wheelz

Post by Wheelz »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XBKwr8Lg ... re=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pXRqcy52 ... re=related

These are just to show how bad it gets, I have not had the "pleasure" of scooting through a swarm of these things, but my poor Scion sure has the battle scars.
That's how the dealer talked me into getting a helmet with a face shield.
He said "The half helmets are cool looking and all, but we have love bugs down here, and you could end up looking like "Dumb and Dumber" when you get off your bike" 3/4 with a face shield sold. :lol:
"Hey You, yeah, all you'se thoughts, specially you, creepy wierd one in the corner, Screw you guys, I'm going for a ride..."
quiklives

Post by quiklives »

It's so hard to explain lovebugs to anyone who hasn't experienced a swarm for themselves...but for the record I live about 20 miles (or less) from the "Fort Pierce - Yeehaw Junction corridor" in the first video posted above...the damn things have been gone for a few weeks now and I'm still finding dead ones in bits of my truck. I can't even imagine riding through them on a scooter (first I'd have to have a scooter, I guess).
Everything changes, and nothing is truly lost.

Be the change you wish to see.
KRUSTYburger

Post by KRUSTYburger »

Love bugs aren't too bad up here, we get them... sometimes pretty heavy, but not usually anything quite like that. Of course, I've lived here so long I'm used to them. I used to work at Uhaul & washing caked-on lovebugs off the trucks was a nightmare! :bleh:
Rail 50

the "Redneck Riviera"

Post by Rail 50 »

So... I'm from Nevada/California. 27 and 30 years between the two places...I married a gal from Pee-Cola, and we go back every year. Probably going to retire there in less than 5 years. (probably means could be Jay, Chumulkla, the Blackwater forest, or somewhere in Lower Alabama) (as it's called by the locals)... Depending on your tolerance for heat, I'd say don't believe all you hear about Humidity. It isn't as bad as Las Vegas in the Summer. I'll take 80 degrees with 80% humidity in Gulf Breeze, over 125 degrees with 20% in Lost Wages any day..
And the land prices are still fairly decent too. We could form our own club. the EBS. The Elderly Buddy Society....
The Hokey-Pokey IS what it's all about.