What is this bolt?

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Mtlgrlie

What is this bolt?

Post by Mtlgrlie »

Sorry about the newbie question. I looked through all the manuals and online videos too.

What is this bolt on the right? the left is the center stand obviously ;) but the new Pamp 150 is leaking a smidge of oil from this bolt that was only finger tight. I tighten it a little with a 17mm socket. ( is it suppose to be torqued and if so how much?)

The previous owner said he changed the oil, but had Rocko at the vespa dealer in schenctady NY look at it 2 weeks ago. (rocko said it was fine, but bring it in anyway ;).....i will if needed, but not if I don't have to!)
The guys at scooters go green said don't worry about a small bit of oil but I had no idea where it was coming from until I put a piece of cardboard under everything.

Thanks for any help!
rajron

Post by rajron »

Oil drain plug/bolt
Mtlgrlie

Then what's this?

Post by Mtlgrlie »

Hmmmm.....then what is the bigger flanged bolt on the bottom other side then? Hmmmmm.......
rajron

Post by rajron »

it has a screen filter in it
babblefish

Post by babblefish »

It is the oil drain plug (item 11) for the main crankcase. There should be an aluminum "crush" washer (item 12) under it. If someone has been using this to drain the oil (and that would be ok), they may not have replaced this washer which ideally should be done everytime the plug is removed. If it has been leaking even after tightning it, I'd check the threads in the crankcase to make sure they are not starting to strip. If they are, then it should be Heli-Coiled at a competent machine shop. The larger drain plug on the bottom of the right crankcase cover should always be removed during an oil change to check the filter screen for debris.

Some people can break a crowbar in a sandbox.
Mtlgrlie

Post by Mtlgrlie »

Ok, sorry, now i'm confused. The flanged bolt on the other side bottom is the flanged bolt/oil screen yes....but why would I not drain the oil from it if I had to remove it to clean the screen too? why would I drain the oil from the plug on the opposite side that is in the picture?

Or is it just another drain plug that most people don't use because the flanged bolt oil/screen option is easier? :?

Hope i'm not asking a stupid question!
babblefish

Post by babblefish »

Because of the design of the crankcase, the one on the bottom may not drain all of the oil out of the main crankcase.
Mtlgrlie

Post by Mtlgrlie »

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhh! Got it!

Is it fine to ride until I have time to drain the oil to check for a washer? I don't have the oil or a filter to check now.

I'll look online for that washer in the mean time... I'll see if I can buy it anyhow before I unscrew it.

Thank you guys for helping us noobs out. I'm willing to begin trying these things, but also afraid of killing her in the process.
rajron

Post by rajron »

I shouldn’t say this, but, I have never changed the crush washer on the oil drain plug. The scooter has 14,000 miles on it with many oil changes, it doesn’t leak.
Have fun riding your new scooter.
babblefish

Post by babblefish »

For the future, you don't have to use the drain plug on the side for your oil changes, just use the one on the bottom and you'll be fine. The amount left in the crankcase is too small to worry about unless you're really anal. :D
babblefish

Post by babblefish »

rajron wrote:I shouldn’t say this, but, I have never changed the crush washer on the oil drain plug. The scooter has 14,000 miles on it with many oil changes, it doesn’t leak.
But his is leaking. You've been either lucky or have been torqueing that plug to 150 ft/lb. :D
Mtlgrlie

Post by Mtlgrlie »

The previous owner pointed to the side plug when he said he changed his oil, but I knew from the video etc. that the other plug existed.....thought maybe he was mistaken.

I'm happy my new scoot is gonna live. the older man who had her wanted a new Burgman, so she will get a lot more love from me I think.

I looked on scooterworks for the washer and found nothing that matches for my 150. there was a vespa oil plug that mentioned your crush washer, but didn't show up when I searched for their part number.

Any links to where you get yours? Or a part number that is for our crush washer?

Oh, and like my user name, I'm a girlie.... :D

But I'm very good with being thought of as a guy!
Mtlgrlie

Post by Mtlgrlie »

After looking REALLY close, it seems like there is an aluminum washer between the bolt and case. I would like to replace it though when I change the oil myself just in case it's the issue.

Thanks for the awesome picture of the crankcase by the way, very helpful.

Is scooterworks the type of company you can call and say "how do I order this little washer?" and they understand and help?

If so, that's the answer instead of you looking stuff up for me!

Mtlgrlie
babblefish

Post by babblefish »

Man or woman, it doesn't matter, anyone can learn to do their own basic maintenance. I applaud you for putting the effort in. :D
Scooterworks as well as most motorcycle shops that have a repair shop can supply you with a replacement washer. They just need to know the inside and outside diameter or the bolt/plug size. Unfortunately, I don't know what size it is off the top of my head. Actually, there's currently nothing on the top of my head...but that's another sunburn story...:)
If you don't have a scooter or motorcycle shop nearby, go to an automotive parts store like Kragens, Autozone, NAPA, etc. They will usually have these types of washers. BTW: it doesn't have to be made of aluminum, copper or nylon would also work.
babblefish

Post by babblefish »

Oh, I forgot this: tightening torque for said plug = 1.7 - 2.0 kg/m or 3.7 - 4.4 ft/lb.

And in case you need it: http://www.modernbuddy.com/pdf/buddy125 ... manual.pdf

For the most part, it also applies to a 150.
Howardr

Post by Howardr »

I've used the side bolt exclusively, since I found out about it. Why fiddle with the bolt under neath when the side one is so much easier to work with, and it drains more completely

Howard
Iron Butt Association Member Number 42256
Club - The Sky Island Riders.
Publisher: The Scooter 'Zine thescooterzine.com
Mtlgrlie

Post by Mtlgrlie »

Thanks babblefish! And rajron!

I thought i downloaded that one when I was searching for what the bolt was......is that where that awesome diagram came from?? I saw the top view of the engine I think, but must've zoomed over that diagram.

Now I'm gonna zoom her around the block a few times then see if she still leaks. Have a great rest of your Sunday....
babblefish

Post by babblefish »

Mtlgrlie wrote:Thanks babblefish! And rajron!

I thought i downloaded that one when I was searching for what the bolt was......is that where that awesome diagram came from?? I saw the top view of the engine I think, but must've zoomed over that diagram.
I just sat down and drew it up from memory.:)

Yeah, right. Actually, go here: http://www.scooterloungeonline.com/genuinebuddyparts

Good place to buy parts, too.
Mtlgrlie

Post by Mtlgrlie »

Thanks! Always great to have another reliable parts source.

No leaking yet. True test is in the morning.
babblefish

Post by babblefish »

Howardr wrote:I've used the side bolt exclusively, since I found out about it. Why fiddle with the bolt under neath when the side one is so much easier to work with, and it drains more completely

Howard
Because the metal filter screen can be an early warning that something is not right with your engine if particles are found trapped in it.
babblefish

Post by babblefish »

babblefish wrote:
rajron wrote:I shouldn’t say this, but, I have never changed the crush washer on the oil drain plug. The scooter has 14,000 miles on it with many oil changes, it doesn’t leak.
But her's is leaking. You've been either lucky or have been torqueing that plug to 150 ft/lb. :D
Edit: "her's" not "his". :oops:
Mtlgrlie

Post by Mtlgrlie »

Guess what....NO OIL drip underneath my Pamp! Yippee! And no oil on the bolt. Even better.

I'll save the dealer for bigger issues when they come up. ;)

I like that I have the Pamp that no longer has a warranty.

I feel like I can try things like oil changes and "gulp", valve adjustments etc. that I would not dare try on my 115 mile blackjack. I'm scared, but willing.
Especially with you guys that have my back!

Not that I want to have to fix ANYTHING beyond oil changes.

Mtlgrlie