Souvenirs

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

KABarash

Souvenirs

Post by KABarash »

Riding home late the other night, all the sudden CRACK, something hits me above my right eye, no biggie I thought as it had just rained something must have fallen out of a tree. A few minutes later as I pull up the driveway something falls to my lap from between my face shield and visor of my helmet............ :shock:
Attachments
IMG_1268 - Copy.JPG
IMG_1268 - Copy.JPG (33.99 KiB) Viewed 2146 times
Aging is mandatory, growing up is optional.
My kids call me 'crazy', I prefer 'Eccentric'.
Nullius in verba
laxer

Post by laxer »

Whoa! I had a bird plink off of my headlight once, glad it didn't hit me in the head.
TVB

Post by TVB »

The same thing happened to young Bruce Wayne on a scooter ride through Gotham City, as he contemplated how he might rid the city of crime. "Criminals are a superstitious cowardly lot," he thought. "I must be a creature of the night. I shall become a bat!"
jprestonian

Post by jprestonian »

I hope you weren't going very fast...! After taking a cicada on the chin at 70MPH, I'm surprised a bat didn't take your head off!
Syd

Post by Syd »

That's just creepy, KABarash. I remember a friend collecting an owl in the grill of his Olds once, but that thing almost got *you* in the grill! Eeek.
The majority is always sane - Nessus
charlie55

Post by charlie55 »

Well, that's what you get for practicing moth calls while riding at night.
viney266

Post by viney266 »

While riding an rz350 yamaha down back roads one day. Hit a robin just above my right eye ( full face shoei helmet). I was going about 70MPH, and it NEARLY took my head off. Felt like someone tee'd off on me with abaseball bat
Speed is only a matter of money...How fast do you want to go?
KABarash

Post by KABarash »

jprestonian wrote:I hope you weren't going very fast...!
About 30-35Bmph, it snapped my head back!
Nullius in verba
Skootz Kabootz

Post by Skootz Kabootz »

OMG! Lovin' my full face helmet right now :shock:

"It's only fun if you live to talk about it." | Adventurists Scooter Group |
GrittyTacoman

Post by GrittyTacoman »

Skootz Kabootz wrote:OMG! Lovin' my full face helmet right now :shock:
+1!

This will be a great new piece of ammo whenever I'm trying to convince people of the importance of face protection. Without that face shield you would have been flossing bat out for weeks!
neotrotsky

Post by neotrotsky »

I hit my first bird at about 45mph coming home from work. Was zipping along on the Stella and a pack of birds were flying across the road, but noticed one was a bit slow. I thought in the back of my mind "Hey, he's flying a little low", but before I could think further...

THWAP!!

Struck me right in the chest point blank and flopped onto the floorboard. It was a 10 or 12 inch long blackbird, and the only thing going through it's head at that moment was it's beak :cry: it was not a pretty sight.

After a bit of a shudder, I pushed it off the floorboard, headed home and immediately took the riding jacket in for dry cleaning. It left a decent bruise on my chest. Crappy end to a crappy day at work.
Stormswift

Post by Stormswift »

Very glad now I got that windshield and even more glad that I am such a shorty and the medium windshield is to me like a full sized windshield. The reason I got it was bugs. I did not want them splattered on my jacket. Well, were there are bugs there are bats.
Was it dead? :bleh:
I am not a scooter snob.
I am a scooter connoisseur
babblefish

Post by babblefish »

Hey! Them's good eat'n!!! :D
Some people can break a crowbar in a sandbox.
Stormswift

Re: Souvenirs

Post by Stormswift »

KABarash wrote:Riding home late the other night, all the sudden CRACK, something hits me above my right eye, no biggie I thought as it had just rained something must have fallen out of a tree. A few minutes later as I pull up the driveway something falls to my lap from between my face shield and visor of my helmet............ :shock:
Seriousl.y, hoping you are feeling OK. That is scary!!!
I am not a scooter snob.
Ressikan

Post by Ressikan »

Wow. Just ... wow. :shock:
"You haven't lived until you ride."

"Everything is better with bacon."

jprestonian

Post by jprestonian »

KABarash wrote:
The cicada to the chin at 70MPH required a quick stop to wash guts out of my beard. ;) Identifiable cicada guts, too. Think about that.
babblefish

Post by babblefish »

jprestonian wrote:
KABarash wrote:
The cicada to the chin at 70MPH required a quick stop to wash guts out of my beard. ;) Identifiable cicada guts, too. Think about that.
I think I'm gonna barf....
Some people can break a crowbar in a sandbox.
neotrotsky

Post by neotrotsky »

Goes without saying: All Gear, All The Time. Because falling off the bike is only one of MANY things that can happen.....
jmazza

Post by jmazza »

WOW! :shock: Did you not notice it caught in your shield? I can't believe it stuck there! That's just nuts.

And yeah I agree about face protection against bugs, birds, and now I guess bats being one of the best daily benefits of a full helmet!

Glad you're alright and I hope the bat stew was delicious. Be careful today, you might get hit with one eye of newt or toe of frog...
KABarash

Post by KABarash »

Stormswift wrote: Was it dead? :bleh:
NOT until after we collided......

I need to start taking an alternate route home, last night, same area (within a couple hundred feet) I had a 'close call' with another bat! :roll:
Nullius in verba
charlie55

Post by charlie55 »

Forget the St. Christopher medal, this looks like a job for Mothra, guardian of bat-oppressed insects and scooterists everywhere:

GrittyTacoman

Post by GrittyTacoman »

KABarash wrote:

I need to start taking an alternate route home, last night, same area (within a couple hundred feet) I had a 'close call' with another bat! :roll:
I thought bats had radar or something. You haven't secretly engineered the first stealth scooter have you?
PeteH

Post by PeteH »

Our western suburbs are undergoing a major infestation of cicadas. We were out that way on the weekend (in the car) and they were _everywhere_. If they move into my neighborhood, I think I'll be parking the Buddy for a while.
beastmaster

wow

Post by beastmaster »

unbelievable, so you thought some thing fell from a tree,....? which ,would be bad enough if you were going 30/40 mph, but something was traveling 20-30 mph and then hit u. i wonder what the pounds psi was to you shield 14 oz bat plus speed x your speed, like a 15 pound punch traveling 20 miles per hour
But he was pierced for our transgressions,
he was crushed for our iniquities;
Stormswift

Post by Stormswift »

GrittyTacoman wrote:
KABarash wrote:

I thought bats had radar or something. You haven't secretly engineered the first stealth scooter have you?
They are supposedly blind but have some kind of sound sensor.They ping their prey. The little bugger was likely chasing a mosquito or some other bug. I bet there were 2 hits. The bug hit helmet first - the bat followed right behind.
I am not a scooter snob.
TVB

Post by TVB »

Stormswift wrote:They are supposedly blind but have some kind of sound sensor.They ping their prey. The little bugger was likely chasing a mosquito or some other bug. I bet there were 2 hits. The bug hit helmet first - the bat followed right behind.
Bat's aren't blind, but their vision isn't much help beyond telling the difference between open sky and the ground. Their echo-location has developed to help them locate two kinds of things: tiny flying things like bugs (to chase and eat), and more substantial stationary things like trees and rocks (to avoid). But not quite so good at recognizing 30mph "trees", apparently.
Quo Vadimus

Post by Quo Vadimus »

Can't believe it's not on there. :fp:
Wheelz

Post by Wheelz »

Okay that was funny till i got to the children, bicycles, and Mc's :wtf:
"Hey You, yeah, all you'se thoughts, specially you, creepy wierd one in the corner, Screw you guys, I'm going for a ride..."
jprestonian

Post by jprestonian »

I scored a squirrel on a Yamaha Vino Classic 50 2T, but not sure I wanna give up $5 for the one sticker.

I'll wait until I tag a bear. ;)
neotrotsky

Post by neotrotsky »

Wheelz wrote:Okay that was funny till i got to the children, bicycles, and Mc's :wtf:
You obviously haven't tried riding or driving around ASU. 1 hour there during the semester will make you want to run over every breathing thing you see... if you don't get killed yourself by the 19 y/o trust fund girls driving lifted hummer H2's on their way to class while texting on BOTH their iPhone and Blackberry (Yep. Seen it with my own eyes)
zilla86

Post by zilla86 »

Oh come'on multitasking is the only way I can get my work done.(JK)

Bats are the least of my worries here in Los Angeles :shock:
glad you are ok and did'nt crash because of the little feller.
Attachments
ipad.jpg
ipad.jpg (122.63 KiB) Viewed 1841 times
jasondavis48108

Post by jasondavis48108 »

Wow! I would have had a heart attack once I figured out it was a bat, bats give me the creeps for sure. Rationally I know that they are awesome little creatures that eat lots of pests but I had a freaky experience with one getting in the house when I was a kid and ever since then I don't want them anywhere near me, especially not stuck in my face sheild :shock:
"Only the curious have, if they live, a tale worth telling at all" Alastair Reid
Quo Vadimus

Post by Quo Vadimus »

jasondavis48108 wrote:but I had a freaky experience with one getting in the house when I was a kid and ever since then I don't want them anywhere near me, especially not stuck in my face sheild :shock:
This story sounds familiar....

Is there something you want to get off your chest (armor), jason? You can trust us.
PeteH

Post by PeteH »

Quo Vadimus wrote:Image

Can't believe it's not on there. :fp:
No bunnies? I've got a Dead Bunny Scooter Club patch on my jacket, but I need silhouettes for my front panel.
toycoma98

Post by toycoma98 »

Image is the bat ok?
kenbike

Post by kenbike »

My wife was in the barn and reached under a shelf and a bat flew out and bit her on the finger and drew blood. I went out and found it on the floor and it was not doing very good. Caught itand put in a box and off to the emergency room for her first rabies shot. They wanted to start the shots with in 12 hours. Sent to bat to the lab and it had Rabies! She had the rest of the shot sall in the arm and is fine. The worst part they charge $1800 per shot! Thankfully the insurance covers all except $200 ea visit.
Bats are cool but they can get you in a lot of trouble!
55,000 people die world wide from Rabies each year and if you are bitten you have to start the shot before you have any symptoms.

If you ride a night this is a very good reason for a full face.
jonlink

Post by jonlink »

He's just sleeping. Right?...
avonpirate

Post by avonpirate »

you guys/gals all make me laugh. And it all started by buying a Buddy.
She with the most 'used' toys wins.

ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

kenbike wrote:If you ride a night this is a very good reason for a full face.
All kinds of stuff can hit you in the day, too! Bees are a big problem a lot of places I ride. Even with full protection (but my visor up), I've been hit by little rocks, bugs, all kinds of stuff.

SkootzKabootz and I were leading two groups on a long ride several months ago and using our Chatterboxes. He was out of range most of the time but the one time I could hear him, it was, "Szzzzch… Eric? Ha, I can hear you… Skkkkzzzzch… Ahhh! Bee in my helmet!" LOL!
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
persephonelily

Post by persephonelily »

I've had rabies treatments! Got bitten by a dog when I was 16 and they put him down before he could be tested, also hadn't kept up with his shots. So "just to be safe" I got the shots. Not a fun time. I hope your wife is doing ok; I hear some people have a very bad reaction to the medicine.