Lo-Jack for sccoters worth it?

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Tenchi

Lo-Jack for sccoters worth it?

Post by Tenchi »

Police officer who found my stolen scoot recommended getting it. Any opinions?
Lil Buddy

Post by Lil Buddy »

I wouldn’t put it on my scoot. The trick to Lo-Jack is that you hope the thieves don’t discover it before the cops track down your vehicle. There aren’t many places to hide the device on a little scooter.

Does your insurance cover theft? That might be more cost effective than the price of Lo-Jack.
ed85379

Post by ed85379 »

http://enfotrace.com/

Not lojack, but GPS tracking that you control. It will send you an SMS if the scooter is ever moved without the ignition being on. Or if it is tipped over. Or if it goes above a certain speed. Or outside geographic areas. Lots of triggers you can set. And you can track it live online, then call the police and tell them exactly where it is, what speed it is moving at, what direction, within minutes of it being taken. You can even remotely disable the ignition if you have it hooked up to be able to do that.

I got it after my last scooter was stolen. $300 plus $50/year after the first. Installed it myself.
neotrotsky

Post by neotrotsky »

I had lojack installed on my old Vespa GTS and told them exactly where to install it, and they had no problem placing it there (just behind the pet carrier on the back tail section). Thankfully it never got stolen, but I figured if I was financing a grand total of $7500 OTD on a scooter, I damn well better have a plan for getting it back.

Little did I know it was going to be the original shop's ignorant attempts at a warranty repair that would end up causing me to lose my scooter :evil: looking out for the wrong crooks in that case....
BootScootin'FireFighter

Post by BootScootin'FireFighter »

I like Ed's idea. It's a pretty steep price up front, but seems worthwhile to me since I always plan on having a scooter, and will just transfer the device between whatever scooter I own. I'll have to check my policy paperwork when I get home and see what comprehensive is costing each year. I'm also a fan of justice and "stealing my shit back", so those options aren't available through insurance claims.
ed85379

Post by ed85379 »

Note, for the enfotrace to work, the GPS unit has to be positioned right, and not be covered by anything other than plastic, so there really is only one place to put it, which does make it pretty easy to find and disconnect if you take the front cover off. But I don't imagine thieves bother until they get it home, and the benefit of this system is immediate notification as soon as it is taken.