MPG on new 4t stella?

The original 2-stroke Genuine scooter and its 4-stroke manual and automatic offspring

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

viney266

MPG on new 4t stella?

Post by viney266 »

I have seen the listing of 140 MPG for the new Stella...Now to be fair, I"m sure this is on level ground with a justicious rider who is lightweight, BUT

Has anyone recorded milage yet on one? Whatcha gettin?
Speed is only a matter of money...How fast do you want to go?
Kikketer

Post by Kikketer »

I've had the Stella 4T for about a month now, I've put over 250 miles on it.
My gas mileage is tracked by an app on my phone, so it's pretty darn accurate.

I have filled up 3 times so far, here are the results:
10-81 miles: .77gal
81-163 miles: .79gal
163-250 miles: .72gal

This gives me a peak mpg of 120mpg, with an average about 111mpg. I only use ethanol free premium grade fuel. That's why the first fill up was quite weak, as I assume it had shatty gas in it from the dealer.

Of course this is only three fill ups on a new scoot, results may differ on broke-in scoots!

(Android phone, an app called "FuelLog")

Hope this helps!
DirtyRAT

Post by DirtyRAT »

if you look at other Stella owner's Fuelly signatures, that will tell you everything
Image Image
Rail 50

mileage

Post by Rail 50 »

YMMV ... 2 tanks, currently 169 miles on the clock. from 09 to 85.4 miles, 76.4 miles traveled, 0.6 gal, $4.449 price = 127.38... 85.4 to 144.7 miles, 59.3 miles traveled, 0.6 gal, $4.379 price = 98.8... 113.05 avg for 2 tanks... I weigh 200, operate at 15 feet above sea level, and use the freeway for 4.5 miles, at top speed. (3 off ramps) I have a fly screen...
The Hokey-Pokey IS what it's all about.

ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

I was getting 100+ on my 4T after break in. On my newer 4T, I have air/fuel cranked up a bit so will probably get a little less.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
Lovelandstella

Post by Lovelandstella »

Kikketer wrote:... I only use ethanol free premium grade fuel...
that's awesome results!
but Premium?The Great debate
I wonder if you can get even better using a lower octane!
~Lovelandstella
----------------------------------------
Silver Streak

Post by Silver Streak »

I've got about 500 miles on mine so far, and I'm averaging exactly 100 mpg so far (and I weigh 225 lbs.)

Absolutely no reason to use premium on this scoot. Ethanol-free has its advantages, but premium on this low-compression engine is just a waste of money.
Dave

www.glyphukulele.com

"You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice."
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

For whatever reason, I felt like I got better performance running premium. That's purely subjective, possibly (er, probably?) all in my mind because I know there's little technical benefit. I'll swap back to lower octane next tank and see what happens.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
Kikketer

Post by Kikketer »

I've only heard bad things about having ethanol in a carb system. So extra cash or not, I'll stick with ethanol free premium.

BTW my first post with the 120mpg. I'm still breaking it in obviously, I've not gone faster than 50mph (scooter speed), and 90% of my driving with the scooter has been betwee 35 and 45mph.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

My Stella speedo and odometer were fairly accurate against an iPhone GPS app. If anyone has a dedicated GPS they can use for comparisons, that'd be interesting.
desmolicious

Post by desmolicious »

ericalm wrote:My Stella speedo and odometer were fairly accurate against an iPhone GPS app. If anyone has a dedicated GPS they can use for comparisons, that'd be interesting.
Rding my Stella past a variety of 'your speed' radar signs, it looks like it is reading about 8mph high - indicated 40mph is actually 32mph.

i.e. just like my Vespas!
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

desmolicious wrote:
ericalm wrote:My Stella speedo and odometer were fairly accurate against an iPhone GPS app. If anyone has a dedicated GPS they can use for comparisons, that'd be interesting.
Rding my Stella past a variety of 'your speed' radar signs, it looks like it is reading about 8mph high - indicated 40mph is actually 32mph.

This GPS app once clocked me at 73mph on the 4T, but noted there had been some GPS errors in the route. I'll say!
desmolicious

Post by desmolicious »

ericalm wrote:
desmolicious wrote:
Riding my Stella past a variety of 'your speed' radar signs, it looks like it is reading about 8mph high - indicated 40mph is actually 32mph.

This GPS app once clocked me at 73mph on the 4T, but noted there had been some GPS errors in the route. I'll say!
Next time I get a chance to open 'er up, I'll make sure to take my Nuvi gps along. All I need to do is reset its trip memory and stuff it in my pocket. No need to look at it while riding.
I'll do a "top speed run", note how fast the speedo read, and then I'll check the top recorded speed on the Nuvi when I stop.
pesce

Post by pesce »

Just checking my new signature
Tom

Post by Tom »

i.e. just like my Vespas![/quote]

This is interesting! I was reading the manual and puzzling over the shifting speeds it recommended for break in...

I think it was something like 6mph, 12 mph, and 22 mph- I had been thinking that this sounded way to low, but the motor sounded (to me) ready to shift at about 8 miles per hour higher. Could it be that the manual means 'actual' speed, but the speedo is showing something else?

First post here, and I'm loving this scooter, at 531 miles in about 2 weeks already. Going in for first service Wednesday.
desmolicious

Post by desmolicious »

Yes, actual speed. They calculate that vs the gear ratios so that you don't exceed certain revs.
It's worse to lug the bike by shifting at too low a speed than to rev is slightly higher.

I guess they assumed that the speedo reads correctly.
Tom

Post by Tom »

desmolicious wrote:Yes, actual speed. They calculate that vs the gear ratios so that you don't exceed certain revs.
It's worse to lug the bike by shifting at too low a speed than to rev is slightly higher.

I guess they assumed that the speedo reads correctly.
That's what I hoped! Got my first service on Tuesday/Wednesday, so I was a little nervous. Good thing I went with my gut, though they should really probably change that in the manual I think.
Silver Streak

Post by Silver Streak »

I personally think those recommended shifting speeds for break-in are fulla crap. Shifting at those speeds, the engine is definitely lugging in each of the higher gears.

I went with my gut, and shifted when it felt right... being careful not to over-rev. If you've driven vehicles with manual gearboxes all your life like I have, you can tell when the engine is happy just by the sound and feel.
Dave

www.glyphukulele.com

"You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice."
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Silver Streak wrote:I personally think those recommended shifting speeds for break-in are fulla crap. Shifting at those speeds, the engine is definitely lugging in each of the higher gears.

I went with my gut, and shifted when it felt right... being careful not to over-rev. If you've driven vehicles with manual gearboxes all your life like I have, you can tell when the engine is happy just by the sound and feel.
Agreed. I go by FEEL. During break in, the key is to vary your RPMs and not run it WOT in 4th gear for extended periods of time.
Tom

Post by Tom »

That's kind of what I was thinking as well- wasn't even targeting those speeds even at the 'corrected' mph- I was just so shocked at the recommended speeds, before I knew there was even a discrepancy with the speedo.