Helmet Locks On A 2007 Buddy

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

San Francisco

Helmet Locks On A 2007 Buddy

Post by San Francisco »

There have been questions on where the helmet locks are located on the
2007 Buddy.

Near as I can tell, they are under the front part of the seat. They are
easy to miss because they look like seat supports. They can't be seat
supports because they are not "beefy" enough for that purpose.

If those are not the helmet locks, let me know so I can stop using them
as such. :shock: :D

Bonus Tip: I bought a couple lock extenders so to make the lock a little
easier to use. See pic.

Elm Creek Smith

Post by Elm Creek Smith »

That is truly what they are. The extenders are pretty cool, too!

ECS
Yes, that is my scooter.
Yes, I wear a helmet and a FIRSTGEAR armored jacket.
No, I'm not embarrassed to be seen riding it.
Yes, that is an NRA sticker on the fender.

"I aim to misbehave."
PasadenaSue

Post by PasadenaSue »

The helmet locks are a bit difficult to use with my helmet. I bought some metal wire at the hardware store and built my own extender to solve the problem. It works.
San Francisco

Post by San Francisco »

PasadenaSue wrote:The helmet locks are a bit difficult to use with my helmet. I bought some metal wire at the hardware store and built my own extender to solve the problem. It works.
You are right, thanks for posting that point.

On mine it takes some concentration to get the D ring to lay flat, as
illustrated.

And more telling, when the seat is closed it puts some firm tension on the
helmet strap. So much so that I suspect the plastic pin [aka helmet lock]
would eventually break due to the stress.

That is why I bought a couple of the pictured helmet lock extenders. It
will not only make it easier to use the locking mechanism [aka a piece of
protruding plastic] but it will also lessen the stress that is put on the pin.
big calm

Post by big calm »

Are these on the 06? I'm about to go pop the seat and check it out
Scootin_in_MS

Post by Scootin_in_MS »

Hey BC, They are indeed on the '06. I use mine all the time, unless I'm going to be inside for a long time. Then I take my helmet with me because I don't want it too hot, or get bugs in it, or spit/trash/whatever other crap the undergrads can think of to do a helmet...

Jody
San Francisco

Post by San Francisco »

Scootin_in_MS wrote:I use mine all the time, unless I'm going to be inside for a long time. Then I take my helmet with me because I don't want it too hot, or get bugs in it, or spit/trash/whatever other crap the undergrads can think of to do a helmet...

Jody
I too only use mine if 1) I am in a good area of town [not lots of shady
foot traffic]; and 2) only if I am going to be gone for a few minutes.

My biggest concern is theft. At $400 to $600 a helmet, mine are tempting
targets to where all one has to do is cut the strap to get a really nice
helmet.

One trade-off in locking the helmet without the extender is that it appears
it would be difficult or awkward to get a knife or blade in there to cut the strap.

Sidenote War Story: One time I parked a scooter on the fringe of a bad/good
area. We walked to the movie and stood in line. Standing there we saw
a homeless guy walking by looking at a bungee cord. It was unique
looking... it looked like mine.

I ran to my scooter, sure enough my bungee cord was gone. I ran back to
the bungee thief, told him to give it back, which he did. He then said "Oh
I just saw it wrapped on the bike and thought no one wanted it." Great
homeless logic. He's been giving the police too many excuses.
KidDynomite

Post by KidDynomite »

big calm wrote:Are these on the 06? I'm about to go pop the seat and check it out
I guess I'm lucky, because my dealer showed them to me upon delievery. I've been using them since day 1. I freaking love them! I've NEVER used my underseat storage for a helmet. I have it stuffed with rain gear and whatnot.

Word of warning however. If you can help it, bring your helmet in or store it elsewhere if you're expecting rain. I've left the scoot outside a time or two and been really upset when I have to wear a musty wet helmet.
You don't wanna get mixed up with a guy like me. I'm a loner Dottie, a REBEL.
donajgra

THANKS!

Post by donajgra »

My wife and I like to ride together and we have been carrying one of the helmets with us every where we go because there was only room for one helmet under the seat. It is too bad that the dealer we got our scooter from didn't even know how to open the gas tank on the Blur, let alone that the two posts under the seat are supposed to be for your helmet.
big calm

Post by big calm »

Scootin_in_MS wrote:Hey BC, They are indeed on the '06. I use mine all the time, unless I'm going to be inside for a long time. Then I take my helmet with me because I don't want it too hot, or get bugs in it, or spit/trash/whatever other crap the undergrads can think of to do a helmet...

Jody
Wow, thanks..it's like finding a hidden track on a Morcheeba CD.

solid
danix

Post by danix »

I hope my 06 has them. This solves the problem of where to put my helmet (underseat is occupied by my workout clothes and sneakers!)
RisingSunset

Post by RisingSunset »

big calm wrote:
Scootin_in_MS wrote:Hey BC, They are indeed on the '06. I use mine all the time, unless I'm going to be inside for a long time. Then I take my helmet with me because I don't want it too hot, or get bugs in it, or spit/trash/whatever other crap the undergrads can think of to do a helmet...

Jody
Wow, thanks..it's like finding a hidden track on a Morcheeba CD.

solid
:lol:
un_designer

Post by un_designer »

can someone post a picture of how exactly you lock your helmet to this helmet lock? either it's so obvious or i'm really dense, or both :D because i still can't figure out how i'm supposed to lock my helmet.
jetboy

Post by jetboy »

un_designer wrote:can someone post a picture of how exactly you lock your helmet to this helmet lock? either it's so obvious or i'm really dense, or both :D because i still can't figure out how i'm supposed to lock my helmet.
I don't have a pic, but the end with the hole goes through the "D"-ring on your helmet, which hangs by the "T" end. The end with the hole then goes over one of the little cones at the front, under the seat. When you close the seat, voila! The helmet hangs there and won't come off, of course unless someone cuts the nylon strap the "D"-ring attaches to.

Did I use enough quote marks? :lol:

-jetboy
"All these things - like telly witch-doctors, and advertising pimps, and show business pop song pirates - they despise us - dig? - they sell us cut-price sequins when we think we're getting diamonds."
un_designer

Post by un_designer »

ah the plastic cones things. i never looked at the underside of the seat, and always figured that those are supposed to fit inside a tube of some sort to hold the seats. i've just tried it and it works. sweet. thx.
pugbuddy

Post by pugbuddy »

My helmet won't fit under the seat so I've always used the helmet locks. I also wrap my helmet in a plastic shopping bag (fit the handle holes through the strap) if it looks like rain. I have yet to get it caught in a major downpour but otherwise it seems to do well to keep water out of it....
ejaseisme

Post by ejaseisme »

un_designer wrote:can someone post a picture of how exactly you lock your helmet to this helmet lock? either it's so obvious or i'm really dense, or both :D because i still can't figure out how i'm supposed to lock my helmet.
I think I'm dense too. Because I can't find it either. And I thought I did a good job of looking.
un_designer

Post by un_designer »

here you go :) see the two plastic cone things? they look like they are supposed to fit into some sort of tube on the underside of the seat, but they don't. they're actually for the metal d-rings on your helmet to on on. then, when you close the seat, it's secured.
Attachments
IMG_3875 2.jpg
IMG_3875 2.jpg (105.36 KiB) Viewed 2441 times
BlueMark

Post by BlueMark »

When you open up your seat compartment there are two little pegs that stick up from the lip on the base at the front - these are your helmet locks, good for two helmets - one on each side.

You simply hang your helmet from one of the pegs by sticking the "D" ring of your helmet strap on the peg. The "D" ring may or may not be "D" shaped - but it is the metal ring on your helmet strap where the two straps connect under your chin. You may have to disconnect the straps from each other, but usually you can hang the helmet with the straps just loosened.

Here is a really poor quality illustration from a scooter manual I found online (not a PGO manual). Couldn't find any photos.
Attachments
helmet lock.png
helmet lock.png (68.65 KiB) Viewed 2437 times
cowgirl helmet

Post by cowgirl helmet »

Excellent! More new info about the Buddy. I've been storing my helmet in the under-the-seat compartment too. Not sure if my new Nolan will fit there, so this is great to know about.
Shellee

Post by Shellee »

It's not so easy with Nolan helmets, because the chin strap is different from a lot of helmets and doesn't have any sort of ring to hang from the helmet post. I'm still trying to figure out another way of attaching my Nolan to those hooks.
~ Shellee
Genuine Buddy 170
www.scooterdiva.com
2wheelsgood

Post by 2wheelsgood »

This is a wild guess--no scooter or helmet here!

From the picture, it looks like the trick about those plastic nubs is that the strap is "caught" under the seat so that if someone wanted to steal the helmet, they'd need to cut the strap, therefore ruining the helmet.

Is there anything one could easily clip on/off to the helmet straps that likewise traps the helmet strap under the seat? An anchor of some kind. Thinking like a thug here, the thug doesn't know what's holding those straps in place, if they pull and they don't budge, thug doesn't know if it's a steel cord or a pink ribbon. They'd still have to cut the straps or rip off the whole seat to get the helmet.
ejaseisme

Post by ejaseisme »

Oh wow. Awesome. I totally thought those two nubs were something for the seat to click it in place or something. Good to know!
un_designer

Post by un_designer »

yep... the underseat helmet lock is nice to have, but it's something that you probably don't want to use all the time, depending on where you're parked. i treat it the same as i would with a car, and always make it a point to not leave anything that would invite unscrupulous hands. having grown up in and living in major metropolises, it's just something that becomes second nature.
BlueMark

Post by BlueMark »

Shellee wrote:It's not so easy with Nolan helmets, because the chin strap is different from a lot of helmets and doesn't have any sort of ring to hang from the helmet post. I'm still trying to figure out another way of attaching my Nolan to those hooks.
Since the seat is locked, you are really just as secure if you only loop the strap around the peg. Don't worry about the D ring. Just be sure you arrange it such that a thief can't just unhook the strap and slip it out.
polianarchy

Post by polianarchy »

2wheelsgood wrote:This is a wild guess--no scooter or helmet here!

From the picture, it looks like the trick about those plastic nubs is that the strap is "caught" under the seat so that if someone wanted to steal the helmet, they'd need to cut the strap, therefore ruining the helmet.

Is there anything one could easily clip on/off to the helmet straps that likewise traps the helmet strap under the seat? An anchor of some kind. Thinking like a thug here, the thug doesn't know what's holding those straps in place, if they pull and they don't budge, thug doesn't know if it's a steel cord or a pink ribbon. They'd still have to cut the straps or rip off the whole seat to get the helmet.
Ya, they're called helmet locks and look something like this:

They're usually sold in two packs at motorcycle and scooter shops:
ModBud #442
2wheelsgood

Post by 2wheelsgood »

> helmet lock

I'm always inventing already-existing products, boo!!

I was also thinking one could clip a cheap carabiner to the strap(s) and it would do the same thing? (cause strap to catch under locked seat). Easy on/off, lightweight.
paige

Post by paige »

The groovy mod for the Nolan helmet is to take a keyring approximately 3/4 inch (guess) , slide it through the loop of the ratcheting mechanism. Voila, D-ring!