Oil Question

The spirited black sheep of the Genuine lineup

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

zeke

Oil Question

Post by zeke »

(roughhouse 50 owner-love it!)

This segues way nicely from my oil light question (thanks for the answers....sensor issue it seems).

I stopped into an AutoZone on the way to work and got very confused.....what kind of oil am I looking for? There is two stroke oil for chainsaws and the like which appear to be used in ratio mixes, and then there is gear oil with the SAE 130(i think-don't have the manual in front of me).

Can someone please be explicit in what one buys? Is it the two stroke oil or the gear oil?

Thanks!
Lotrat

Post by Lotrat »

You'll need to go to a scooter shop/motorcycle shop to get the correct kind of 2 stroke oil. The owners manual say "FC Class" which is JASO FC. That stands for "Japanese Automotive Standards Organization". JASO FC is the highest rating for 2-stroke oils. JASO FC oils leave little deposits and create very little smoke. They also pass specific lubricant and detergent tests.

JASO FC may be hard to find in your area and many will use API-TC rated oil. API = American Petroleum Institute. The highest level of certification for two-stroke oil is the "TC"-series.

So look for Scooter oil, made for injector systems, with JASO-FC or API-TC ratings on the label. Around $10 per bottle and will last you 800 miles give or take.

ImageImage

Now the gear oil is easy. You can get API SAE 140 anywhere. I use Valvoline 85W-140. Walmart even has it. It comes in a quart size bottle for around $10. You'll have enough oil for ten 90cc gear oil changes. This is done every 2000-3000 miles so you'll be good for 20,000-30,000 miles with one bottle.

This 2 stroke oil goes in the reservoir behind the access door.
The gear oil goes in the rear fill hole with the white plug.
It's all in the manual.
Attachments
2t.jpg
2t.jpg (34.74 KiB) Viewed 329 times
gear oil.jpg
gear oil.jpg (32.15 KiB) Viewed 329 times