Some Things Should be Left Alone-Cushman Rebirth?

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Southerner

Post by Southerner »

So by those definitions, a scooter is a motorcycle but not visa versa.

That would also make the Gilera GP800 a non-scooter as well. Same for a lot of the maxi scooters and maybe even the Blur.

But yes, the Eagle seems to be pretty squarely a motorcycle.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Right, scooters are a subset of motorcycles. States make divisions based on displacement and such for the purposes of licensing, but these are labels that have little to do with the form and riding style of the machine.

The Gilera, Blur and other big scoots still qualify as "scooters" in my book. While all are not literally "step-through," the "the part of the vehicle forward of the operator's seat and between the legs of an operator seated in the riding position, is lower in height than the operator’s seat."

The two-wheel world is so diverse with so many combinations and variations throughout history, though, that there have always been vehicles that defy categorization. There really are no universally applicable, definitive categories and even the best definitions get fuzzy around the edges.

I like using the FMVSS definition because although imperfect, it's the most inclusive. There are no distinctions such as wheel size or displacement. It allows for the most diversity among scooters while creating far fewer exceptions. I've always felt that if a 50cc dirtbike and a Ducati Monster can both be "motorcycles," there's no reason we can't allow for many different types and sizes of scooter.

MANY others disagree. Leave it to scooterists to not be able to agree on what qualifies as a scooter.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
Southerner

Post by Southerner »

How does the phrase go?

"But I know what it is when I see it."

A lot of people new to scooters tend to think scooters are inseparable from Twist & Go. They don't realize that pretty much all of the classics are shifters.

Most 2-wheelers can be classified without too much trouble, but once in a while, you run into a platypus.
Ethan Allison

Post by Ethan Allison »

Southerner wrote:Most 2-wheelers can be classified without too much trouble, but once in a while, you run into a platypus.
And you won't be able to get the smell out for weeks.
still shifting

Post by still shifting »

So, any news or further movement from the new cushman company? R
Southerner

Post by Southerner »

Nothing since my post with the pictures. The K-jack people told me then they expected to be showing an Eagle replica in a few months but I just checked their website and no mention of it.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

I've asked about visiting the facility and doing test rides but I don't think they're ready for that yet.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
Roose Hurro

Post by Roose Hurro »

Skootz Kabootz wrote:All I know is that if they put a modern engine in these neo-Cushman's I will be first in line to buy one of each. I just love their uber-dorkiness. And if someone will start remaking the old Salisbury's I'll line up for them too... and the Heinkle Tourist's... Fuji's... what can I say, I LOVE old dorky scooters! Bring 'em on! So long as they are suitably powered for the modern world. That's what got me so excited about the Genuine Cruiser, the style guidelines it is rumored to draw its inspiration from.
You forgot this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QlHMeQ9E ... re=related

http://www.opelparty.com/Bilder/2008/blk18.jpg

I'd definitely go for an updated remake of the above scoot...
still shifting

Post by still shifting »

Yes I agree a retro styled Big Beautiful Lady of a scoot would open my wallet. R
Southerner

Post by Southerner »

Ooh, those are cool. And not dinky, either. What size wheels are those?
babblefish

Post by babblefish »

In case anyone around these parts wants a real Cushman, this one is available through Craigslist (http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/mcy/2696424005.html):

1949, Model 60:
Some people can break a crowbar in a sandbox.
Southerner

Post by Southerner »

Good pics. Now how can you not like that?
JHScoot

Post by JHScoot »

neotrotsky wrote:
scooterjon wrote:No wonder they look boxy the owner of K Jack also is one of the largest manufactures of these. :rofl:

http://www.kjack.com/
Well, since hard copy publishing is a dead industry, they have to diversify I suppose. But doing so by trying to revive another dead brand? Good luck with that...
yeah looked around and thought "what to do with all this leftover tin?"

Shazam! guess make some tin cans with wheels on 'em and call it retro

wonder if they'll spit newspapers out the hindquarters while riding?
Riding is riding
Southerner

Post by Southerner »

I believe that's why the owner decided to reproduce them. Because he used one to deliver papers as a kid. You may scoff but my dad remembers the originals from his childhood. Several of his schoolmates had them and rode the crap out of them on the mostly unpaved roads that existed back then. They musta been hella stout.
AWinn6889

Post by AWinn6889 »

babblefish wrote:In case anyone around these parts wants a real Cushman, this one is available through Craigslist (http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/mcy/2696424005.html):

1949, Model 60:
I want this. It's like... a banana scooter!
I will always have a soft spot in my heart for these ugly ugly things.
No power in the 'verse can stop me.