New tachometer; also, whole new dash.

All things Genuine Blur

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

AL GRANDE

New tachometer; also, whole new dash.

Post by AL GRANDE »

My dealer replaced my tachometer by installing a new dash 2 days ago. It seems that the tachometers are not separate, but are part of the dash. So, the whole dash had to be replaced. Don't care, it was all covered by the warranty. Cost to me: $0.00.

Here's the you tube link: http://youtu.be/1gTCoXHFPLE
Rippinyarn

Post by Rippinyarn »

Cripes, mine is in and the scoot is at the shop. I don't know how I'll react if mine too is gunmetal, but I guess that I'll get over it.
Rovers SC
Check out the latest at scooterfile.com
babblefish

Post by babblefish »

Not to toot my own horn, but in case you're interested in how the dash goes in: topic6613.html
Some people can break a crowbar in a sandbox.
Rippinyarn

Post by Rippinyarn »

Ha, mine is gunmetal too. They are installing it today. Thanks for the heads up, as I would have been pretty disappointed if not for the warning. All things considered, it looks better than the white instrument cluster will look on the gunmetal Blurs, and believe me, that will happen sometime soon. Good luck everybody!
Rovers SC
Rippinyarn

Post by Rippinyarn »

Hilarious! The shop installed the new tach today and I busted it out of work early to get the shop. I wanted to get the scoot before the big rally weekend. The gunmetal looked OK with the white headset, so I was cautiously optimistic. I jumped on and hit the key and... the new tach is broken. I said "go ahead and order another one" and headed out to home.

I can't really come up with a catch phrase, but I'm working on "PGO - Broke From the Box" and "PGO scoots - now featuring a fix for the high RPM/heat warning issue - our tachs reads 3k low! (and negative at idle!)" :P

The good news is that the new Michelin tires seem fantastic, but that's a topic for another thread.
Rovers SC
killbilly

Post by killbilly »

PGO - possibly gacked on-delivery? :D

With the exception of that nightmare problem I had with the wiring harness, my Blur has been trouble free.

I'm really interested in how those michelins work out for you.
Rippinyarn

Post by Rippinyarn »

And of course it started working perfectly today during a short stint on I-75. I looked down and it was reading about right for the speed! When I exited the highway it returned to the correct idle and was fine all the rest of the way home. I can't get it to slip like my first tach would (or lag, I guess is a better term). So two kinds of failures and I've had them both?

The dealer should be getting my replacement this week...
Rovers SC
Edwub

Post by Edwub »

Did you both have the 2010 model, or the 2011? What was it that you took to the dealer to convince them to swap in a new dash? I'm negotiating for a new 2011, was wondering if there was something I should have them check before I bring it home.
killbilly

Post by killbilly »

Edwub wrote:Did you both have the 2010 model, or the 2011? What was it that you took to the dealer to convince them to swap in a new dash? I'm negotiating for a new 2011, was wondering if there was something I should have them check before I bring it home.
The models sold in 2010 were technically 2011 models. So you're either buying a leftover 2011 or a new 2012.

I may be wrong about that, but I'm pretty sure that's the case.
Edwub

Post by Edwub »

Hmm, they're just rolling out in CA, I wonder what they are.
Rippinyarn

Post by Rippinyarn »

AFAIK, the new (2012) scooters have not left Taiwan, and may have not even been produced yet. The 2011 version of the Genuine Blur was technically "sold out" (i.e. sold to U.S. dealers) quite early after it came out last year. I've no idea why they are just getting to California, unless they are "new".

The tach is still working, and I'm still working with my dealer to see if a replacement replacement is warranted if this one starts misbehaving again.

When it started misbehaving, I mentioned it to the dealer. He reported it to Genuine and they approved a warranty replacement. When the replacement didn't read correctly after the install, I asked the dealer to order yet another tach, and I think that he did, but I'll wait to see what happens with this one now that it's working (and running very well indeed - I love this scoot).
Rovers SC