Too many keys.

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Alb brajn

Too many keys.

Post by Alb brajn »

A man on his sons scooter pulled up next to me today and said I had too many keys on my keyring. He said they had to replace the ignition on his sons scoot because the weight of the keys broke it. Has anybody heard of this before? I could not tell what kind of scooter he was riding.
Syd

Post by Syd »

I have heard of it in the car/truck world, so it wouldn't surprise me if it were a potential problem, especially since the average scoot's ignition switch seems to be less stout than your average automotive ignition switch.
The majority is always sane - Nessus
PeteH

Post by PeteH »

Rather than risk it, I keep only the ignition key and my lock key on the handy Genuine Scooter Co. swag keychain. The rest of my boat-anchor assemblage of home, car, and office keys go in my bag.
Feel da rhythm! Feel da rhyme! Get on up! It's Buddy Time!
desmolicious

Re: Too many keys.

Post by desmolicious »

Alb brajn wrote:A man on his sons scooter pulled up next to me today and said I had too many keys on my keyring. He said they had to replace the ignition on his sons scoot because the weight of the keys broke it. Has anybody heard of this before? I could not tell what kind of scooter he was riding.
You can damage the ignition tumbler.

How many keys did you have on the ring?
Alb brajn

Post by Alb brajn »

I have 7 keys and the buddy key. I didn't think that was that many, nor did I think it was enough to cause any damage.
desmolicious

Post by desmolicious »

Alb brajn wrote:I have 7 keys and the buddy key. I didn't think that was that many, nor did I think it was enough to cause any damage.
Too many.
Over time that can damage your ignition tumbler.
jasondavis48108

Post by jasondavis48108 »

yup, I keep only the keys I need for each scooter on their own separate rings.
"Only the curious have, if they live, a tale worth telling at all" Alastair Reid
Quo Vadimus

Post by Quo Vadimus »

The car talk guys used to mention this practically every week.
Meresankh

Post by Meresankh »

Here's my question: what if all the keys on your over-loaded key ring ARE for your scooter? The only key on the ring that isn't for the scoot is the house key.

Since I had to beef up my security and buy new locks, my Buddy key ring makes me look like a janitor! But if I don't have all those keys with me, I can't unlock the bike without making 2 or 3 trips back into the apartment. That would be a PITA.

So what's a girl to do? Besides get a place with a secured garage, of course.
Nevada Scooter Brigade on Meetup.com
2008 Honda Metropolitan 50cc - Cleo
2007 Genuine Buddy 125 - Nepthys

heatherkay

Post by heatherkay »

Get a quick release ring for the ignition key and put the rest of the keys in your pocket when the key is in the ignition.
Quo Vadimus

Post by Quo Vadimus »

I have a separate keyring for the lock keys. I like to imagine that if I accidentally drop one set and the thief can figure out what they're for (maybe I drop them right by the scoot?), they still won't be able to simply ride away with my bike.

Note: this also means I can unlock my side door and go in for the night, leave the scooter key in the 'on' position and kill a $50 battery. So, y'know.
desmolicious

Post by desmolicious »

Meresankh wrote:Here's my question: what if all the keys on your over-loaded key ring ARE for your scooter? The only key on the ring that isn't for the scoot is the house key.

Since I had to beef up my security and buy new locks, my Buddy key ring makes me look like a janitor! But if I don't have all those keys with me, I can't unlock the bike without making 2 or 3 trips back into the apartment. That would be a PITA.

So what's a girl to do? Besides get a place with a secured garage, of course.
2 sets of key rings. The ones for the locks go under your seat, or in a pocket, or in a bag...

It's not that complicated.

How many locks do you have anyway? My Buddy's key ring has the scooter's key, and the lock key. If I add another lock (Xena as well as GripLock) that would be three keys.
Meresankh

Post by Meresankh »

Too many. There's the key for the Buddy, the key for the topcase, the key for the new Xena lock, the key for the cable lock I use to secure the bike when I'm out and about, and the key for the MC chain that secures the bike to the post of the covered parking. There's also the key for the lock & cable I use to daisy-chain my two scoots together, since I live in a apartment. Oh, and the house key.

I forgot about those detachable key rings. I may have to get a couple of those since the Met has just about as many keys on its ring now, too. Watch. Now that I'm looking for that kind of key ring, I won't be able to find them. :P
Nevada Scooter Brigade on Meetup.com
2008 Honda Metropolitan 50cc - Cleo
2007 Genuine Buddy 125 - Nepthys

Alb brajn

Post by Alb brajn »

I am far too forgetful to have different keys on different rings. Having them all together allows me easily know I have locked my bike up for the day.
ed85379

Post by ed85379 »

I separated my scooter keys from the rest of my keys to save space in my jeans pocket on days when I'm not riding the scooter. Plus, I didn't like the big ol' thing vibrating there.

Though, my scooter ring still has 5 keys on it. Ignition, top-case, xena, chain, and grip-lock.

As it is, it is small enough that I have forgotten it in the ignition more than once.
lilguy

Post by lilguy »

I have several keys (all-Buddy related) on one ring, but they are by no means heavy. They aren't like the type of keys to my house or other vehicles, they all feel much lighter.
rsrider

Post by rsrider »

Carabiners people. Each key on a separate ring, and then just pop the key off the carabiner as it's needed. You can even tether the carabiner to your pants or jacket if you're paranoid about losing it.
Using the internet for evil since 1994.
BootScootin'FireFighter

Post by BootScootin'FireFighter »

I got the CHUMS 3 way key holder. The main ring holds the caribeaner to clip to my beltloop, the barcode thingys for grocery stores and the gym, and my dogtag ID. The next ring detaches for my apartment, which has a large garage button, key fob, mailbox key, and door key. The last set has my scooter keys... ignition, xena, chain, topcase.

If I'm going to be riding for a little while, i only leave the scooter keys in, otherwise for short trips I can tuck it in the topcase. It also works great when I only need my house keys if I'm not riding.
Attachments
chums.jpg
chums.jpg (30.23 KiB) Viewed 1931 times
jprestonian

Post by jprestonian »

BootScootin'FireFighter wrote:I got the CHUMS 3 way key holder. The main ring holds the caribeaner to clip to my beltloop, the barcode thingys for grocery stores and the gym, and my dogtag ID. The next ring detaches for my apartment, which has a large garage button, key fob, mailbox key, and door key. The last set has my scooter keys... ignition, xena, chain, topcase.

If I'm going to be riding for a little while, i only leave the scooter keys in, otherwise for short trips I can tuck it in the topcase. It also works great when I only need my house keys if I'm not riding.
That's so noice.
TVB

Post by TVB »

I do all I can to minimize the number of keys I carry, period. I have having the things in my pocketses. I was down to two keys (house, car) before I got this darn scooter. Now I have to carry two more (scooter, lock). During the non-scooting season, I go back to just two; it's a bittersweet ritual.

There are various other keys I need for other things (e.g. my job), but I don't carry those unless I'm going where I need them.
Tocsik

Post by Tocsik »

BootScootin'FireFighter wrote:I got the chums 3 way key holder. The main ring holds the caribeaner to clip to my beltloop, the barcode thingys for grocery stores and the gym, and my dogtag ID. The next ring detaches for my apartment, which has a large garage button, key fob, mailbox key, and door key. The last set has my scooter keys... ignition, xena, chain, topcase.

a three way with your chums?
An obvious attempt at the double entendre topic!
.::I know the voices in my head aren't real, but man do they come up with some great ideas::.
michelle_7728

Post by michelle_7728 »

Here are 3 examples from Rei's website.

I use the one on the left for our car and truck keys. When I get in the car, I take the ignition key off the chain and just put it in the ignition, so it doesn't have the weight of the other keys dangling there as well.

Rei has over 80 different keychains to choose from on-line.

I use some thing different for each scooter, though they have only 3 to 4 keys on each - Ignition, top case (if there is one), Xena lock, house key.
Attachments
Key chains.jpg
Key chains.jpg (48.22 KiB) Viewed 1838 times
Past bikes: 08' Genuine Buddy 125, '07 Yamaha Majesty 400, '07 Piaggio MP3 250, '08 Piaggio MP3 500, '08 Aprilia Scarabeo 500
Current bikes: Two '09 Genuine Buddy 125's
Howardr

Post by Howardr »

I'm sure I'm doomed not that someone has posted this. I've been carrying 8-10 keys plus the associated rings and doodads that come along with them for more than 3 years now. No problems and I'm the guys that rides down4-wheel drive only roads, etc.

Probably should just order a new ignition tumbler set now, I guess.

Howard
Iron Butt Association Member Number 42256
Club - The Sky Island Riders.
Publisher: The Scooter 'Zine thescooterzine.com
Tocsik

Post by Tocsik »

I know it's an older thread, but I just Stumbled on this:

http://mykeyport.com/product.html

A little expensive but still pretty cool. It might stick out too far for the Buddy's ignition location.
.::I know the voices in my head aren't real, but man do they come up with some great ideas::.
dshanson

Post by dshanson »

That keyport is pretty cool....but i have 12 keys....maybe i need to revamp my key line-up.....

current keys: (non-scooter)
1 house key
1 parents' house key
1 mailbox key
1 car key
1 front hood lock key (someone stole my car battery once so i chained the thing down)
1 brake lock key (for car)
(scooter)
1 buddy key
1 xena key
2 grip lock keys
2 onguard big padlock keys (I find having 2 is useful for chaining it up)

i keep em all on a carabeaner (sp?) that i got from scootersmith :P
WOT = Way Off Topic
AWinn6889

Post by AWinn6889 »

I have something like this, PLUS an additional carabiner that I got for going to RIT in the honors program (here's $120,000, thanks for the keychain, and the piece of paper!)

I however would not recommend this for men that like to carry all of their stuff in their pockets. But for the ladies, this hasn't failed me yet.

So, I almost ALWAYS have to have a crap ton of keys on me, in case of emergencies, or people locking themselves out of various places (ahem, parents). Anyway, here goes, my keys:

1&2. my house and garage
3. VW flip key
3.5. VW "lame" key (only opens the driver door)
4&4.5. ghetto aftermarket key and fob for the old VW (yay power locks!)
5&6. keys to the small locally-owned store where I work
7. spare Harley key
8. Mom's house (she forgets hers at work sometimes..)
9&10. Dad's house and garage door opener (he locks himself out.. a lot.)

and when the scoot finally gets here I will be adding 2 or 3 more, so,
11. Buddy key
12. Disc lock key
13(?). top case key, still not sure if I want/need a top case though.

In addition to these keys I have all of my various grocery store, pharmacy, gym, etc. tags, a small knife, and a (really obnoxious) whistle.

So this is what I do:
On the thingy pictured above I have my house/garage keys on one little biner, the vw flip key on another, knife on another, whistle on another. Of course I will be adding the Buddy (11-13) keys to this as well... I CLIP these to something in/on my purse/backpack that is easily accessible and take off whatever I need when I need it.

On the small carabiner... Keys #4-10 all on individual rings, and labeled or tagged somehow, and the various grocery store, pharm, gym etc etc tags. This gets tossed anywhere in my purse/backpack, so I always have them but they are not dangling around anywhere, or getting in the way.

The "lame" key for my car goes in my wallet, so I always, no matter what, have a way into my car. I have found it to be very handy to have there, even if it will only open the door!
neotrotsky

Post by neotrotsky »

Alb brajn wrote:A man on his sons scooter pulled up next to me today and said I had too many keys on my keyring. He said they had to replace the ignition on his sons scoot because the weight of the keys broke it. Has anybody heard of this before? I could not tell what kind of scooter he was riding.
While he is technically correct, I find strangers that randomly spout off criticism of other riders while in traffic irritating and little more than know-it-all douchebags. Yes, it's a helpful tip. But, did the other rider ASK for this info? Was your life in danger at that moment that you needed to point it out in traffic? No. You just wanted to come off as some know it all.

Sorry, just a pet peeve of mine. If you're hanging out at a ride or something and one of the other riders notices and says "Oh, by the way, did you know..." then right on. But, I've had some real pricks ride up next to me while I'm borrowing the sportster pointing out that I have the "wrong" brand of tire on the back, or that the bars on it are REALLY inappropriate for urban commuting and I NEED to change those asap! You know? I'm BORROWING the bike! I'm sure the owner would LOVE to hear how he's flawed and how you, Mr. stranger on the road talking to the guy who doesn't even own the bike, know better about his machine than he does.

:evil:

/rant off.

Sorry, had to get that off my chest. I use the old school spring loaded keyring clips attached to a loop of paracord that I throw over my wrist. Works great.
"Earth" without Art is just "Eh"...

<a href="http://slowkidsscootergang.wordpress.com/">The Slow Kids Scooter Gang</a>
Raiderfn31

Post by Raiderfn31 »

neotrotsky wrote:
While he is technically correct, I find strangers that randomly spout off criticism of other riders while in traffic irritating and little more than know-it-all douchebags. Yes, it's a helpful tip. But, did the other rider ASK for this info? Was your life in danger at that moment that you needed to point it out in traffic? No. You just wanted to come off as some know it all.

Sorry, just a pet peeve of mine. If you're hanging out at a ride or something and one of the other riders notices and says "Oh, by the way, did you know..." then right on. But, I've had some real pricks ride up next to me while I'm borrowing the sportster pointing out that I have the "wrong" brand of tire on the back, or that the bars on it are REALLY inappropriate for urban commuting and I NEED to change those asap! You know? I'm BORROWING the bike! I'm sure the owner would LOVE to hear how he's flawed and how you, Mr. stranger on the road talking to the guy who doesn't even own the bike, know better about his machine than he does.

:evil:

Ever tried yoga? It may help. :lol:

/rant off.

Sorry, had to get that off my chest. I use the old school spring loaded keyring clips attached to a loop of paracord that I throw over my wrist. Works great.
"When your lawyer looks at you like you deserve whats coming, you may begin to sweat."
siobhan

Post by siobhan »

Tocsik wrote:I know it's an older thread, but I just Stumbled on this:

A little expensive but still pretty cool. It might stick out too far for the Buddy's ignition location.
I want this. I don't know why as I only carry the scootah key and the garage lock key on my "personalized" keyring (try finding one off-the-shelf with my name). My first thought was to check what keys they couldn't do...no mention of the /5 banana key.

I really want one.

I absolutely love that there is a keychain thread on this board. Where else?! Just brilliant.
rsrider

Post by rsrider »

neotrotsky wrote: I find strangers that randomly spout off criticism of other riders while in traffic irritating and little more than know-it-all douchebags.
Just trying to help.......

Wow, you people really like to spend money. Split key rings (one for each key), karabiner, done.
neotrotsky

Post by neotrotsky »

rsrider wrote:
neotrotsky wrote: I find strangers that randomly spout off criticism of other riders while in traffic irritating and little more than know-it-all douchebags.

Wow, you people really like to spend money. Split key rings (one for each key), karabiner, done.
Didn't say it was you. It's the type who always seem to have something to criticize riders while in traffic. If you're mentioning it to a friend then cool. But, there are *those* riders who nose in on crap to complete strangers.
"Earth" without Art is just "Eh"...

<a href="http://slowkidsscootergang.wordpress.com/">The Slow Kids Scooter Gang</a>
rsrider

Post by rsrider »

neotrotsky wrote:
rsrider wrote:

Didn't say it was you. It's the type who always seem to have something to criticize riders while in traffic. If you're mentioning it to a friend then cool. But, there are *those* riders who nose in on crap to complete strangers.
I was joking with ya......

It's like: and then this ahole slides over into my lane....and I'm like, sorry mang I dropped my cell phone............
Raiderfn31

Post by Raiderfn31 »

neotrotsky wrote:
rsrider wrote:

I feel ya on this one bro. I have people at my work that come by and try to "help". I tell them bluntly, "I have my way, you have yours". I've been in more than one heated discussion over this one.
"When your lawyer looks at you like you deserve whats coming, you may begin to sweat."
TVB

Post by TVB »

This is why I try not to help people much any more.
No good deed goes unpunished.
Edwub

Post by Edwub »

/agree with TVB a little.

Neotrotsky, clearly some stuff has happened to ya, so you're coming across a bit over-sensitive here :)

It's hard to tell from the original post whether this was 'criticism', 'unsolicated advice', or a 'friendly tip'. I'm sorry that you've gotten much of the former, but I bet I could go through several threads on the MB forum here and find some examples of all three. Tone is pretty important (and easier to tell in person than online), but I think we can all agree that overall, the context is king.

To make a few assumptions of my own, the OP said 'a man on his sons scooter' and needed a part replaced, so I imagine there must have been some form of conversation, not just a drive-by oneliner. It's easy in my mind to also imagine a scooter enthusiast pulling up to someone, having a small convo and trying to impart friendly advice/tip, or maybe warn against a common but rarely known mistake!

Or not, and he's a jerk. It's all about context :)

edit: heck, maybe all you're saying is just tangential to the OP, not directly about it. I agree that unsolicited criticism from a condescending schmuck sucks too! We've all been a victim :(
BootScootin'FireFighter

Post by BootScootin'FireFighter »

neotrotsky wrote:While he is technically correct, I find strangers that randomly spout off criticism of other riders while in traffic irritating and little more than know-it-all douchebags.
What chaps my ass is the "words of wisdom" from people who don't even ride... anything!

Had a woman ring the doorbell @ work a few days ago asking if anyone knew how to fix a flat for a scooter. One of my idiot co-workers told her there was a "scooter expert" on shift, which of course, I'm not by any means. She had some unknown brand chinese clunker, the rear tire nearly flat, no visible puncture, and the tires worn out like forklift tires with no tread. I was able to top the tire off with the compressor and told her to just drop it off at a local shop and get the tire replaced, not continue to ride around like nothing is wrong, letting her know how bad a wipe out could be. Needless to say, I passed her again about 3 days later and she was again riding on the bald flat tire, totally oblivious.

Oh well, I tried. You can't fix stupid sometimes.
brandon-locksmith

Post by brandon-locksmith »

I get calls for it all the time it happens because the keys bouncing around just
keep what you need on the ring

<a href="http://www.locksmithinmaricopaaz.com/" target="_blank" title="http://www.locksmithinmaricopaaz.com/" class="postlink" rel="follow"> Maricopa Locksmiths</a>
heythere512

Post by heythere512 »

siobhan wrote:
Tocsik wrote:I know it's an older thread, but I just Stumbled on this:

I want this. I don't know why as I only carry the scootah key and the garage lock key on my "personalized" keyring (try finding one off-the-shelf with my name). My first thought was to check what keys they couldn't do...no mention of the /5 banana key.

I really want one.

I absolutely love that there is a keychain thread on this board. Where else?! Just brilliant.
I love gizmos and gadgets like this! Has anyone tried this thing at all - not necessarily for a scoot?
LunaP

Post by LunaP »

I definitely need a carabiner and a keychain revamp I guess- I really didnt think mine was that bad, it doesnt feel heavy at all. I have 2 work keys, one key to each of 3 residences, the Buddy key, my disc lock key, bf's spare chain key, and the key to the old service bay where I park and lock up the scoot while I'm working; also, an LED light from dollar tree.
synaps3

Post by synaps3 »

I keep a keysafe at home, with keys to each vehicle on it. Each keychain has the ignition key, a house key, and any other misc keys...

Keyrings:
1. Honda CRV key, house key, remote control for lock, key to camper trailer, key to utility trailer
2. Honda Pilot key, house key, key to camper trailer, key to utility trailer
3. Buddy 125 key, house key, U-lock key
4. Honda PCX key, house key (no lock, yay insurance)
Currently own: 2011 Honda PCX 125
Previously owned:2007 Buddy 125, 1988 Honda Spree, 2003 Honda Silverwing, 2000 KTM 125SX, 1998 Honda PC800, 2x 2008 Buddy 125, 2001 Honda Reflex, 1987 Honda Elite, 5 other bikes (hit text limit for sig)