Cell phone holder, anyone use anything like this?

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Mulliganal

Cell phone holder, anyone use anything like this?

Post by Mulliganal »

I like the looks since it just seems to hook under the mirror and doesn't mess up the paint job on your scooter. But what do most folks use to hold their cell phones? I just got a new Nexus and would like to have easy access to it when I'm out and about.

http://www.sharkmotorcycleaudio.com/pro ... older.html[/img]
".....Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us......"
jprestonian

Post by jprestonian »

I use the novel device known as a pocket. ;)
jeff from pa

Post by jeff from pa »

I have something very similar in my work truck. I use it to hold an Ipod classic. One of the padded jaws has gone missing, but even before that it (the Ipod) fell out 4-5 times per week. I would not trust on a scooter
opposable_thumbs

Post by opposable_thumbs »

I have one of those on my bicycle and my iPhone falls out all the time. :/
BlueMark

Post by BlueMark »

Oh gee ... I hope you only want to use it for GPS, otherwise you might need this accessory.
bluebuddygirl

Post by bluebuddygirl »

Ram Mount is the only way to go for devices that you need to stay put. This has been covered before under GPS mounts, but they also make a head that fits other devices including phones and ipods, and they do not fall out.

They make a mirror step mount, where the first ball for a ball/socket connector attaches with the mirror. If you search for GPS and specifically select my user name, it should come up.
Southerner

Post by Southerner »

I will have to agree. Keep it stowed while riding. Especially since you live among the craziest drivers I've ever encountered.

I still recall my nervousness when driving back from Six Flags after dusk because of the huge number of drivers I saw with "phone glow" in their faces. :shock:
LunaP

Post by LunaP »

I am going to echo what Bluebuddygirl said about RamMounts. Here is mine:

IMG_1350 by Luna-P

RamMounts are amazing. They are rated for motorcycles, so they won't budge at all while you ride. The one I have pictured attaches to the mirror bolt exactly like you want it to. The cradle I have is for my TomTom gps, but RamMount makes several cradles for many different GPS's as well as smartphones.

If you're interested, here's a link to the arm part. You would just need to find the proper cradle for your phone. (Note: some of the cradles they make use the diamond-shaped back and some of them use a different shape; the arm I linked you to has a diamond shape, if you need to you can change that.)
slusher5

Post by slusher5 »

I got a ram mount for gps, works like a charm, lil pricey imo
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

jprestonian wrote:I use the novel device known as a pocket.
+1
LunaP

Post by LunaP »

slusher5 wrote:I got a ram mount for gps, works like a charm, lil pricey imo
A tad pricey, but very worth it. I only want to pay for it once... I can't imagine how mad I'd have been having bought one contraption that didn't work properly, didn't fit, or rattled too much, and having to buy another.

My cel phone stays in my pocket... but that's because I have a gps separate and I treat my brand new droid like it's made of gold because I do NOT have money to replace it. I guess it'd be different if my phone was my gps.
ed85379

Post by ed85379 »

I had a Ram-Mount, which connected the same as that, with the mirror screwing through it. I lost it when my original scooter was stolen, but I had stopped using it long before that.

The reason I stopped using it is because even that small amount of thread that it used up of the mirror screw, it was enough to make the mirror unstable, and it actually fell out when I was re-tightening it for the 50th time.

Since then I've been meaning to get some windshield hardware (without the windshield itself) so I could mount one of these again, without shortening the threads, but I haven't been able to find those brackets anywhere.
slusher5

Post by slusher5 »

ed85379 wrote: The reason I stopped using it is because even that small amount of thread that it used up of the mirror screw, it was enough to make the mirror unstable, and it actually fell out when I was re-tightening it for the 50th time.
my mirror had a long enough screw to be stable, but when fully tightened the mirror was facing a different direction.. to fix it, and possibly what you're describing, you tighten/loose the thing on the base of the mirror
ed85379

Post by ed85379 »

slusher5 wrote:
ed85379 wrote: The reason I stopped using it is because even that small amount of thread that it used up of the mirror screw, it was enough to make the mirror unstable, and it actually fell out when I was re-tightening it for the 50th time.
my mirror had a long enough screw to be stable, but when fully tightened the mirror was facing a different direction.. to fix it, and possibly what you're describing, you tighten/loose the thing on the base of the mirror
Well, yes, but to have it facing the right direction, the lock nut had to be lower. Hense, it didn't work very well.
LunaP

Post by LunaP »

slusher5 wrote:
Mine was also long enough... we just had to use some trial and error with screwing it back down with the mirror in the correct place... the easiest way it was done was to make it a two-person job. Luckily, there were two of us.
agrogod

Post by agrogod »

of course there is this option Image
"When your mouth is yapping your arms stop flapping, get to work" - a quote from my father R.I.P..
always start with the simple, it may end up costing you little to nothing
BootScootin'FireFighter

Post by BootScootin'FireFighter »

Ram mounted Aqua box, that's whats next on my wishlist before cannonball!