Flooded blur 220 what next

All things Genuine Blur

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

ChitownDave

Flooded blur 220 what next

Post by ChitownDave »

Hi all,

I dropped my blur in two feet of water, after it died while I was riding. Waited 2 hours, it started. 6 hours later won't start. Keeps cranking but not turning over.

Any thoughts. I'm stranded at work, so hoping for minimal fix.

Here's how it happened.

http://youtu.be/WFgr_pmNGVg

Help! PLEASE.
Chitown D

www.KeepItSimpleSilva.com
"And as you wish that others would do to you, do so to them." Christ Jesus (Luke 6:31 ESV)
illnoise
Moderator Emeritus

Post by illnoise »

I would ask how the hell you could do something like that, but I was pumping my basement out all day today, so I'm guessing it had something to do with the Great Flood.

I wonder if it ran at first because the cylinder was dry, but when you started it, water got pumped into the cylinder or injectors (from the exhaust or the airbox)

I'd say you'd wanna drain out the airbox and blow-dry the air filter, if it's soaked through. And it's also likely that the exhaust is full of water. I'd take that off and drain it and kick over the engine a few times to pump out any water in there.

Even if that doesn't do it, that's a lot of water, it might take days for it to really evaporate, even more if there's standing water anywhere else.

There are some electrical components (starter, autochoke, relays, etc) that could short out and be ruined if immersed in water, and worst case, if the water was cold and the engine was hot, it's possible the cases cracked. .
2strokebuzz: When news breaks, we put it under a tarp in the garage.
illnoise
Moderator Emeritus

Post by illnoise »

Also, if you have comprehensive insurance, now's the time to use it, take it to scooterworks and get it looked over. A running scooter isn't necessarily a reliable/safe scooter.
2strokebuzz: When news breaks, we put it under a tarp in the garage.
ChitownDave

Illinoise

Post by ChitownDave »

Illinoise,
Thanks for the advise. Greatly appreciated. I left it at work to dry. Removed air box and spark plug, air filter soaked.

I will get it checked.

D

[/img]
"And as you wish that others would do to you, do so to them." Christ Jesus (Luke 6:31 ESV)
ChitownDave

She's Running!!!

Post by ChitownDave »

Well... I took out the filter (let it dry overnight), checked the spark plug, kept it on a battery charger overnight. Today... I put it back together and... It WORKS!!!

My Blur is running! I could swear I heard it cough out the word "IDIOT" as it turned over.

I stopped at the same viaduct to look where I had fallen. Yep. open manhole. It was about 18-24" deep, plus the above sea level water. I fell in about 36" of water. YUCK.

Fortunately I didn't injure myself.

I'll post the video from my helmet cam later today.

Chitown (water logged) Dave

www.KeepItSimpleSilva.com
relenger

Post by relenger »

I can't remember where the valve cover breather tube is. I'd check the oil and make sure no water got into the crank case. I also know my other scooter (50cc) has a breather on the rear part(gears)

Also the cover that has the belt under it. That could easily be full of water(unless it has a drain) your clutch and belt will die fast if its got water in there. If it wasn't 30 outside and dark I would go look for a drain on mine. Check everything over REALLY good!
Robbie

Post by Robbie »

Change the engine and gearbox oil.....now.

If the air filter was soaked, the water went into the crankase through the breather.
The trans is vented to atmosphere so water would have gone into its vent as well.
Replace the air filter if paper type....once wet won't filter the small stuff....if oiled foam, wash with gasoline, squeeze (not wring) out the fuel, let it dry for an hour, re-oil and squeeze (not wring) out the excess oil into a towel.

Good luck....don't do that anymore.....lucky that hole was only two feet.

Rob