Correct size of fuel line Buddy 125

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

ucandoit

Correct size of fuel line Buddy 125

Post by ucandoit »

I'm going to install a small fuel line shut off valve (the little plastic kind sometimes used on lawn mowers,etc.) between the fuel filter and the carb. on my 125 Buddy. I'm doing this because I've had long issues with the petcock (have tried two of them). Before winter I try draining the carb. and the petcock does not hold back the fuel. It just keeps flowing.

What is the correct size of the fuel line for the Buddy 125? Is the inner diameter 1/4 inches? Is there anything special I need to know about fuel lines in general? May try to buy it at Mills Fleet farm (here in MN).
Thanks for any info.
Dage'sVew

Post by Dage'sVew »

I replaced my San Tropez 150's with a 3/16 inner diameter fuel line. I would think the 125 is the same.
ucandoit

Post by ucandoit »

Dage. I think you're right. The 1/4 inch tubing looks too big. My next quest will be to find a 3/16 shut off valve. The 1/4" shut off valve used for lawn mowers apparently sometimes, (often) leak and it also says on the valve not for gasoline, which is weird as I'm pretty sure that is what most people use them for.
So, I'm now looking for a 3/16 metal shut off valve, unless I could somehow get 3/16 tubing over a 1/4" valve.
mjkuhno

Post by mjkuhno »

ucandoit wrote:Dage. I think you're right. The 1/4 inch tubing looks too big. My next quest will be to find a 3/16 shut off valve. The 1/4" shut off valve used for lawn mowers apparently sometimes, (often) leak and it also says on the valve not for gasoline, which is weird as I'm pretty sure that is what most people use them for.
So, I'm now looking for a 3/16 metal shut off valve, unless I could somehow get 3/16 tubing over a 1/4" valve.
Reviving an old thread....sorry if this has already been answered.

Ucandoit - did you confirm the size of the fuel line and ever find a shut off valve that worked well? I'd like to do the same after getting our Buddy 125 running well - looking for an 'easy' way to get the fuel out of the line to the carb in between racetrack weekends (we use the Buddy as a pit scooter).

TIA for the info!
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

"Things fall apart - it's scientific" - David Byrne
www.teamscootertrash.com

'06 Cream Buddy 125, 11 Blur 220, 13 BMW C 650 GT, 68 Vespa SS180, 64 Vespa GS MK II, 65 Lambretta TV 175, 67 Vespa GT, 64 Vespa 150 VBB 64 Vespa GL
mjkuhno

Post by mjkuhno »

BuddyRaton wrote:I use these on several scooters.

http://jet200.com/catalog/product_info. ... ts_id=1854
Interesting. It's listed as a quick disconnect - is that correct or is it a shut off valve? I have quick disconnects on the fuel tank of one of my street bikes and hadn't thought of going that route.

I assume you have this inline before the carb - is that correct? Any pics of location??
babblefish

Post by babblefish »

mjkuhno wrote:
BuddyRaton wrote:I use these on several scooters.

http://jet200.com/catalog/product_info. ... ts_id=1854
Interesting. It's listed as a quick disconnect - is that correct or is it a shut off valve? I have quick disconnects on the fuel tank of one of my street bikes and hadn't thought of going that route.

I assume you have this inline before the carb - is that correct? Any pics of location??
It acts sort of like a shut-off valve. Disconnect the connection and your fuel is effectively "shut-off" as long as the part with the release button is installed in the fuel line coming from the fuel tank. Otherwise you'll have a quick leak rather than quick disconnect.
Some people can break a crowbar in a sandbox.
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

Agree...they do need to be installed correctly.
"Things fall apart - it's scientific" - David Byrne
www.teamscootertrash.com

'06 Cream Buddy 125, 11 Blur 220, 13 BMW C 650 GT, 68 Vespa SS180, 64 Vespa GS MK II, 65 Lambretta TV 175, 67 Vespa GT, 64 Vespa 150 VBB 64 Vespa GL
ucandoit

Post by ucandoit »

Mjkuhno: Yes. I did install the little plastic lawnmower shut off valve in a section of our 3/16 fuel line. It works very well and I no longer worry about an "iffy" petcock. The valve is meant for 1/4" fuel tubing but if you heat our 3/16" tubing a bit with a hairdryer, it slips onto the valve nicely and is snug.
Try to place the valve in the best location you can. I put it between the fuel filter and the carb.
The turnoff valve is a bit tricky to reach without removing the pet carrier. I've worked out a way using a pair of long needle nose pliers so that I just need to open the flap to the pet carrier.
The other concern is to be on the lookout for any leaking around the valve. It hasn't happened so far, but our winters are very cold and I'm wondering how well the valve will hold up.