[SSR] Faith in Humanity: Restored

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

ericalm
Site Admin

[SSR] Faith in Humanity: Restored

Post by ericalm »

A crowd of bystanders lifts a burning car off the motorcyclist trapped under it.

<iframe width="560" height="345" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/aIGTyANMFb4?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
Quo Vadimus

Post by Quo Vadimus »

:clap:

In the world I am king of, these dozen heroes get million dollar bonuses this year.
Hwarang

Post by Hwarang »

Saw that yesterday. We have many riders at work and everyone loved it. Did they identify these awesome people yet?
"Limitations are the soil from which creativity grows." - Zeldman
"All that glitters is not golden" - Shakespeare
"Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known" - Carl Sagan
"I must not fear. Fear is the mind killer ..." - Dune
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Post by jrsjr »

That literally brought tears to my eyes...

P.S. Apparently the rider survived.
Mulliganal

Post by Mulliganal »

jrsjr wrote: P.S. Apparently the rider survived.
I believe he did.

An amazing combined act of bravery by many caring people.
".....Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us......"
Colinchristian

Post by Colinchristian »

It's quite a shame that we're forced to live in a world where this is foreign to us.
This is amazing. I pray that people like that would be near the scene if something like this, God forbid, ever happened to me or my family...
roblinx

Post by roblinx »

Mulliganal wrote:
I believe he did.
According to the story I saw on the news, he survived with "minor injuries"!! That's miraculous, and no small thanks to the people who came to his aid.
BootScootin'FireFighter

Post by BootScootin'FireFighter »

that was great to see, a crowd of people finally rolling up their sleeves and doing what needed to be done, instead of the all too familiar scene of everyone shooting video with their cellphone while someone suffers.

Kudos to everyone that stepped up! :clap:
Quo Vadimus

Post by Quo Vadimus »

roblinx wrote:
Mulliganal wrote:
I believe he did.
According to the story I saw on the news, he survived with "minor injuries"!! That's miraculous, and no small thanks to the people who came to his aid.
Story I saw said both legs, pelvis, road rash, burns, and forehead abrasion though not the back and no serious head trauma (despite NO HELMET), and that he was still in some kind of escalated care. Good enough though to make a statement thanking the heroes.
Syd

Post by Syd »

The only negative I got from this story is that, out here at least, every introduction to the video said that the motorcyclist "collided with the car", which makes it sound like the rider was at fault. That might be true, but then again, might not.
The majority is always sane - Nessus
roblinx

Post by roblinx »

Quo Vadimus wrote:
roblinx wrote:
Mulliganal wrote: I believe he did.
Story I saw said both legs, pelvis, road rash, burns, and forehead abrasion though not the back and no serious head trauma (despite NO HELMET), and that he was still in some kind of escalated care. Good enough though to make a statement thanking the heroes.
That's more along the lines of what I'd have expected to hear!

I wonder if he'll get a helmet now?
Thadsgood

Post by Thadsgood »

Ok, nice job by the bystanders, however, and this is a personal thing I always think when I see these things. PUT THE F*#$ing camera down and help. Wonder why the officers didn't check his vitals right away also. To the bystanders though, excellent work.
Gorilla_Cycle
Retailer/Vendor

Post by Gorilla_Cycle »

Thadsgood wrote:Ok, nice job by the bystanders, however, and this is a personal thing I always think when I see these things. PUT THE F*#$ing camera down and help. Wonder why the officers didn't check his vitals right away also. To the bystanders though, excellent work.
With that camera angle I'd say that the person who's recording is in a nearby building, up at least one floor. He was in luck that there were that many people near him not recording who cared though!
Jon @ Gorilla Cycle Alarm Tech Support
Like us on Facebook!
Tom

Post by Tom »

If you can believe the youtube comments the driver is the dude standing by in the suit.

I won't judge him too harshly, cause he's probably in shock. But it would have been nice to see him give a push. :roll:
TVB

Post by TVB »

Thadsgood wrote:Wonder why the officers didn't check his vitals right away also.
I assume they were trying to stay clear of the fire, and keep the crowd away from it.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

My second thought on seeing this: Holy crap, it's possible to have a head-on with a car and somehow wind up underneath it as it and the bike burn! :shock:
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
ScooterTrash

Post by ScooterTrash »

:wha: <<<about all I can process right now
bigbropgo

Post by bigbropgo »

pretty intense situation. :shock:
no i don't ride a scooter, i am a scooter pilot!
VICTUS MORTUUS VENATOR
Quo Vadimus

Post by Quo Vadimus »

Syd wrote:The only negative I got from this story is that, out here at least, every introduction to the video said that the motorcyclist "collided with the car", which makes it sound like the rider was at fault. That might be true, but then again, might not.
Ericalm wrote:My second thought on seeing this: Holy crap, it's possible to have a head-on with a car and somehow wind up underneath it as it and the bike burn! Shocked
I also saw articles that said the car turned into his path from a parking lot (surprise!), that he "had to" lay down the bike. Thus how he got under.
Tom

Post by Tom »

Quo Vadimus wrote:I also saw articles that said the car turned into his path from a parking lot (surprise!), that he "had to" lay down the bike. Thus how he got under.
From what I read, the car he hit was not the one that pulled in front of him though. He swerved to avoid it, laying the bike down in front of the oncoming traffic.
michelle_7728

Re: [SSR] Faith in Humanity: Restored

Post by michelle_7728 »

:clap:

Thank you for sharing this. :D
Past bikes: 08' Genuine Buddy 125, '07 Yamaha Majesty 400, '07 Piaggio MP3 250, '08 Piaggio MP3 500, '08 Aprilia Scarabeo 500
Current bikes: Two '09 Genuine Buddy 125's
Hwarang

Post by Hwarang »

Also, have you guys LOL'd at this?

"Quick, shove him back in!"
Mulliganal

Post by Mulliganal »

Hwarang wrote:Also, have you guys LOL'd at this?

Perhaps it's just me but I don't see anything at all funny about that.
".....Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us......"
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Hwarang wrote:Also, have you guys LOL'd at this?

I'll laugh at that, but only because the car didn't explode and kill them all.
pcameronbrooks

Post by pcameronbrooks »

The heros and rider are in my prayers........it was an amazing example of pure goodness.
bigbropgo

Post by bigbropgo »

no i don't ride a scooter, i am a scooter pilot!
VICTUS MORTUUS VENATOR
Hwarang

Post by Hwarang »

Right on. Karma +1000
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

The obvious lesson: If you run out for a short trip on your bike and decide not to wear a helmet and subsequently wind up in a horrific head-on crash, there's a chance that you actually may be spared head injuries but will break a bunch of other stuff and wind up stuck under a flaming heap of German engineering but there's also a chance heroic bystanders will lift the Teutonic wreckage and drag you out from underneath, sparing you a fiery death. Therefore, helmets don't save lives.

In case you didn't get it, that's sarcasm, folks!
Syd

Post by Syd »

ericalm wrote:The obvious lesson: If you run out for a short trip on your bike and decide not to wear a helmet and subsequently wind up in a horrific head-on crash, there's a chance that you actually may be spared head injuries but will break a bunch of other stuff and wind up stuck under a flaming heap of German engineering but there's also a chance heroic bystanders will lift the Teutonic wreckage and drag you out from underneath, sparing you a fiery death. Therefore, helmets don't save lives.

Who helped lift the car? I saw a cop or security guard, some construction workers, and others. So, helmets don't save lives, The Village People do.
The majority is always sane - Nessus
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Syd wrote:
ericalm wrote:The obvious lesson: If you run out for a short trip on your bike and decide not to wear a helmet and subsequently wind up in a horrific head-on crash, there's a chance that you actually may be spared head injuries but will break a bunch of other stuff and wind up stuck under a flaming heap of German engineering but there's also a chance heroic bystanders will lift the Teutonic wreckage and drag you out from underneath, sparing you a fiery death. Therefore, helmets don't save lives.

Who helped lift the car? I saw a cop or security guard, some construction workers, and others. So, helmets don't save lives, The Village People do.
You're not the first person to make the comparison, but that doesn't mean it's not still funny.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Last week's hope for humanity = this week's cynicism!
TVB

Post by TVB »

Cynicism is humanity's last best hope.
PeteH

Post by PeteH »

Yep, and this weekend several hundred of the streetfighterz.com stunt-boys met up here in STL, riding in packs, pulling wheelies on the interstates, forcing car drivers off onto the shoulders, all sorts of civilized behavior.
Feel da rhythm! Feel da rhyme! Get on up! It's Buddy Time!
Quo Vadimus

Post by Quo Vadimus »

PeteH wrote: forcing car drivers off onto the shoulders, all sorts of civilized behavior.
I assume based on the drivers' unwillingness to thin the herd? Or do they have some actual way they force drivers off the road? Because I ride not like a jerk and find the Wrong Driver all the time. Seems like it wouldn't take long for them to find one.
PeteH

Post by PeteH »

Yeah, fine, okay, I suppose the drivers ran off onto the shoulder of their own volition rather than risk contact with the aforementioned knuckleheads. I would imagine that some of the drivers didn't want to risk being in another story like that of last week, unlike those fearless/reckless riders. :evil:
Feel da rhythm! Feel da rhyme! Get on up! It's Buddy Time!
BlueMark

Post by BlueMark »

bigbropgo wrote:little follow up.
http://www.ksl.com/index.php?nid=157&sid=17224974
Great story, but there is a bit of Hollywood fallacy in there. Burning cars don't explode, except in films. The fuel is already on fire, and is not in an aerosol mist or vapor that can explode. Explosions happen (but very rarely) at the time of impact when fuel and vapor is mixing with large amounts of air and there is an ignition source from a spark, electrical short, or flame. Once the fire is going ... the explosion risk has almost completely passed.

But that doesn't make them safe - they are ON FIRE, and that fire can spread fast and unpredictably. - All the more reason to rescue someone quickly rather than worry about an explosion that is extremely unlikely to occur.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Oh, man. How am I supposed to walk away in slow mo if the damn car doesn't explode?
supermach

Re: [SSR] Faith in Humanity: Restored

Post by supermach »

ericalm wrote:A crowd of bystanders lifts a burning car off the motorcyclist trapped under it.

<iframe width="560" height="345" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/aIGTyANMFb4?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
The thing I hate about driving a motorcycle the most is even if a car hits you you would still get the ticket. Like today someone thinked it was smart to pass me on the side of the road other then the 2 opened left lanes right next to me... But if a cop would of saw that he still would of stopped me to give me a ticket for something.

:roll:
BootScootin'FireFighter

Post by BootScootin'FireFighter »

BlueMark wrote:Burning cars don't explode, except in films. The fuel is already on fire, and is not in an aerosol mist or vapor that can explode.
The film industry certainly exaggerates the point, but there certainly are less dramatic explosions that often occur. Magnesium engine blocks can explode with tremendous force. Struts, shocks and other hydraulic devices also not only explode, but can be shot like a bullet. Tires explode under stress and heat, more violently on large trucks. Obviously if a fuel tank is heated long enough, that can also explode, but not as dramatic as the movies make it out to be. The new threat from car fires is CNG tanks and Hybrid batter cells.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zLoF99LYdts <---- car fire in LA with magnesium explosion @ :16

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4RNUAUy465A <---- car fire with hood strut exploding and shooting like a rocket

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yx-6tARu5mc <----- van fire with what looks like a fuel tank explosion @ 2:03

Also, in 2007, Seattle Fire Dept had a CNG car explode, almost took out a few firefighters in the process. You can click HERE to read the powerpoint report on that incident and see pictures.