Very short commute ok?

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

ScootsMcGillicuddy

Very short commute ok?

Post by ScootsMcGillicuddy »

Hello!

I just got a new job! Yea! It's fantastic as it is minutes away! 2:45 in a car. I am THRILLED to be able to scoot every day! However, I do wonder if it never really warming up presents a problem engine wise. The better half has proposed taking it the short way in the morning and coming home a more circuitous route.

Opinions? Thoughts?

Thanks!!
still shifting

Post by still shifting »

Take the Long Way Home! R
Skootz Kabootz

Post by Skootz Kabootz »

You just need to ride far enough that the battery has sufficient time and RPM's to replenish the charge it used in starting the scooter or eventually you'll end up with a dead battery. I can't remember the bare minimum ride-time that requires but generally speaking a good 10-15 minute ride would do. If, let's say, you had a shorter ride than that going to work and then took a longer ride going home you'd be golden.

Have fun! The morning commute is about to become a whole lot more enjoyable!

"It's only fun if you live to talk about it." | Adventurists Scooter Group |
Lil Buddy

Post by Lil Buddy »

Not a problem for the engine provided you give it a few minutes to warm up before heading to work/home.

But as Skootz said, your battery won't have enough time to re-charge on such a short commute. Just use a battery tender and you'll be fine.
SuperFlyBuddy

Post by SuperFlyBuddy »

My ride to work is 2.5 miles and takes me 7-8 minutes. I also go home everyday for lunch so I'm using the electric starter four times a day. After essentially two seasons I haven't had any starting problems and I only use my battery tender during the winter or if I don't ride it for a week or more during the summer (which doesn't happen very often).

Taking the long way home will definitely give it more time to charge. I do that on ocassion if I am not in a hurry to get home.

One disadvantage to such a short commute are the miles (bragging rights used here on how much you ride) don't rack up very quick. I'm a seasonal rider (from spring into fall) & after almost two seasons now I don't even have 3,000 miles on my scoot yet. And that's with using my scooter 95% of the time during the summer too. But on the flip side with lower miles it will last you longer (time wise).
TVB

Re: Very short commute ok?

Post by TVB »

If I lived close enough to my job that I could measure the travel time by scooter in minutes and seconds, I would probably walk most of the time. :)
dshanson

Post by dshanson »

I like to kick start mine (cuz it makes me feel awesome when I get it on the first kick) instead of using the electric starter. its fun but also i also do it because I have to store my scooter outside my apartment, and there is no place to plug in the battery (and I wouldnt want anyone knowing where the battery is anyway :P). i figure this helps the battery out (at least takes a load off). I use the electric start if im in a huge hurry, or I have something tied to the kick starter (such as a bungie cord).
WOT = Way Off Topic
mike_cor

Post by mike_cor »

SuperFlyBuddy wrote:My ride to work is 2.5 miles and takes me 7-8 minutes. I also go home everyday for lunch so I'm using the electric starter four times a day. After essentially two seasons I haven't had any starting problems and I only use my battery tender during the winter or if I don't ride it for a week or more during the summer (which doesn't happen very often).

Taking the long way home will definitely give it more time to charge. I do that on ocassion if I am not in a hurry to get home.

One disadvantage to such a short commute are the miles (bragging rights used here on how much you ride) don't rack up very quick. I'm a seasonal rider (from spring into fall) & after almost two seasons now I don't even have 3,000 miles on my scoot yet. And that's with using my scooter 95% of the time during the summer too. But on the flip side with lower miles it will last you longer (time wise).
I second this. Home to work for me is just shy of 3 miles, and I go home for lunch too. Four starts per day and a 5-8 minute ride depending on the traffic lights. I've been riding my scoot a year now, all seasons, and it's never given me a problem. However I do cruise around on some nice weekends for 10-15 miles at a time, so that might also help.
viney266

Post by viney266 »

You will be fine; jut take it for some long rides every once in a while to get it good and hot. You need to make sure the engine gets hot every once in a while to burn off the condensation in the engine oil.
But thats easy!, grab the wife, throw a lunch under the seat and off you go!
Speed is only a matter of money...How fast do you want to go?
KABarash

Post by KABarash »

My daily commute is just about 5 miles, takes me about 12 mins by the end of the week the battery seems weak on the start, so every weekend I try to ride a good hour or more to boost it a bit. Yes the battery is still original from '08 and I haven't even during the non-use periods of time used a 'tender'
I've been told (from here on MB) that it's best to warm up the scoot before taking off, I usually just wait till I hear the idle settle down, 2-3 mins....

Really, if my ride was so short I'd walk, there's plenty of time to reflect and 'down load' from the stresses of the day from a walk like that.
THEN if more is needed RIDE!!!!!!
Aging is mandatory, growing up is optional.
My kids call me 'crazy', I prefer 'Eccentric'.
Nullius in verba
ScootsMcGillicuddy

Post by ScootsMcGillicuddy »

Thanks for all the information!!

I do have it on a battery tender as a regular habit.

I am a race walker so I do get a lot of walking in before work. What I don't get to do a lot during the week is SCOOT so that's why I'm so thrilled to be able to take it to work! Plus, and I'll admit this, there is a bit of the "show-off" appeal that I like to gliding into the parking lot on my Buddy!!

Thanks again everyone!!!
BootScootin'FireFighter

Post by BootScootin'FireFighter »

SuperFlyBuddy wrote:One disadvantage to such a short commute are the miles (bragging rights used here on how much you ride) don't rack up very quick.
My apartment for the first year was 1 mile from work. Now my apartment is 1/4 mile from work. Yet in two years, I've racked up 13,000 miles and I walk most of the time to work from the new apartment. Funny how that works itself out, my buddy Kevin said I was "riding the $hit out of that thing".

Yea, battery tender or long weekend rides should keep you regular. I also like to start it up and let it warm up while I do the helmet and gloves thing.
Skootz Kabootz

Post by Skootz Kabootz »

BootScootin'FireFighter wrote:
SuperFlyBuddy wrote:One disadvantage to such a short commute are the miles (bragging rights used here on how much you ride) don't rack up very quick.
...in two years, I've racked up 13,000 miles and I walk most of the time to work ...
Ditto what BSFF says. The miles add up. I work from home, am just finishing up my 3rd year of scooter only, and am about to turn over to 17,000 miles. Miles happen :)

"It's only fun if you live to talk about it." | Adventurists Scooter Group |
MYSCTR

Post by MYSCTR »

Try to get a job further away! You get more FREE smiles!
chuck_theobald

Post by chuck_theobald »

Echo TVB. My bike commute is ~15 minutes, scoot commute about the same. You could probably get there in the same amount of time by walking. Florida? Ya, for sure, and year round.
PeteH

Post by PeteH »

chuck_theobald wrote:Echo TVB. My bike commute is ~15 minutes, scoot commute about the same.
Pardon me, are you one of those cyclists that blow red lights and stop signs?
:shock: :shock: :evil: :evil: :) :)

One of those hyperspandexed Armstrongs just missed a personal greeting from my 4000-pound Chrysler the other day. I guess the Oakleys gave him tunnel vision.
Feel da rhythm! Feel da rhyme! Get on up! It's Buddy Time!
SteMer

Post by SteMer »

mike_cor wrote:
SuperFlyBuddy wrote:My ride to work is 2.5 miles and takes me 7-8 minutes. I also go home everyday for lunch so I'm using the electric starter four times a day. After essentially two seasons I haven't had any starting problems and I only use my battery tender during the winter or if I don't ride it for a week or more during the summer (which doesn't happen very often).

I second this. Home to work for me is just shy of 3 miles, and I go home for lunch too. Four starts per day and a 5-8 minute ride depending on the traffic lights. I've been riding my scoot a year now, all seasons, and it's never given me a problem. However I do cruise around on some nice weekends for 10-15 miles at a time, so that might also help.
I'm also one of the 2.5 mile commuters. Have only changed the battery once in 5 years - mainly cuz I thought it was a battery issue that turned out to be a starter issue.

I agree with the disappointment of not having the mileage to show for it. For comparison, I ride at least as many, if not more, days than Bonegirl does and I have 13,000+ miles in 5 years and she has 60,000+ (combined mileage on 2 scoots) in the same amount of time.

I've never used a battery tender cuz I ride all year (minus icy/snowy roads or single digit temps).

To the OP, gotta love a partner who encourages you to take a longer ride after work!
Mighty Ohio Scooter Club