Your Experience with different shops in Los Angeles County

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

organicchef

Your Experience with different shops in Los Angeles County

Post by organicchef »

Hello there, I am currently working on buying my first new buddy and am trying to decide between different shops to get it at. I live in Marina Del Rey and I want to support my local shop, but they are charging me high for a 2009 Buddy 125 cc $3200 OTD with 10% on accessories and a little discount on labor. Plus I don't know how good they are on repairs or prepping it.

I spoke with NoHo and I think I got the owner right away on the phone, he seemed real nice and though he doesn't have any 09's in he seemed interested in making a deal, it is pretty far away though and if it breaks how will I get it there.

I am also talking with Thousand Oaks Power Sports, they seem really willing to bargain.

I would like to hear different experiences with these shops as well as nearby ones, good and bad experiences. Because I want 2 things: 1. A good price and 2. A place I can trust to repair it correctly and make it easy for me if something goes wrong. Thanks!
Skootz Kabootz

Post by Skootz Kabootz »

Well, Thousand Oaks is farther away than NoHo. But it doesn't really matter because you get a 2-year warrantee and 2-year roadside assistance with a Genuine scooter, so if you ever break down you just pick up the phone.

Personally, I have always gone to NoHo. Great service, great mechanics who REALLY know their stuff, and all are really nice people. Plus Mike (the owner) rides. He's a real scooter guy. Even puts together group rides.

I say go visit each shop, get a gut feeling, and go with that.

"It's only fun if you live to talk about it." | Adventurists Scooter Group |
hchoa

Post by hchoa »

Hey I bought a 150 pamplona @ Route 66 for $3400 ish. It was barely cheaper than at NoHo at that time (2 months ago). The staff was great and they even hooked me up with a nice helmet. I really like the people there they are extremely helpful and the prepping was great (no issues so far at 350 miles). Plus free coffee.

I'm looking at the cost of 1st service Noho is $80 and Route 66 is $126.
But transportation is the other biggie, I live by expo park so getting to Route 66 is much more convenient than driving all the way to north hollywood. I think i'm going to have to do the trip though because it is a huge price difference. If you or a good friend own a truck the trip to North hollywood would not be bad if your scooter ever becomes unridable.

I have no experience with the thousand oaks shop so I can't help you there. Good luck
Drum Pro

Post by Drum Pro »

I got my Buddy 170I at NoHo. They know their stuff about scoots. I went in with $4000. and came out with a new 2012 170I, a back rack and top case, and a helmet.(OTD). It's hard to argue when a customer comes in with cash. Your best bet is to ask what kind of deal you can get OTD if you put down cash. Buddies are great scoots but if you can't get the one you want at the price you can afford, there are other scoots that are good too, like SYM, Kimco, and Honda. Ask questions about all the scoots your interested in....
Edwub

Post by Edwub »

I've had nothing but good experiences for service on my last scoot at Rt66.

However, with the exception of a new tire, it was all routine stuff. But Maybe four times, and I really like the crew and Glenn.

I ended up buying my Blur from TO. I felt a little guilty, as they're more of a motorcycle shop but they cut better deals on scooters, period.

My bro in law gets services at NoHo and likes it. I've only been there once to look at gear.

Of the three, TO is the only one that routinely does test rides. (Huntington Beach Genuine does not test ride anything, but I haven't been there in person). I was told at TO spend at least 20 mins on the Blur to get a good feel for it. Rt66 doesn't, noHo wouldn't for a Blur not sure if they do on other models.

Also I was told that if I get my first service at TO, they'll go through the process and teach me how to change my own oil myself. Too far away for me to take them up on that offer, but neat.

I'm thinking of getting my first service soon at NoHo due to price.
Drum Pro

Post by Drum Pro »

P.S. Mike does free local delivery. Marina Del Ray isn't THAT far. Mike delivered my scoot on the cheap for $125.(most companies wanted $300.) but that's cos I live 2 and half hours away up the Cajon pass....
Tazio

Post by Tazio »

I got my Buddy from Mike at NoHo over 4 years ago. One thing I always liked at NoHo is the prices are listed "out the door", so no surprises when the sales tax and registration fees are added.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

I'm usually pretty reluctant to talk about this stuff because I don't want to seem like I'm promoting one shop and knocking others. But NoHo is my shop of choice for a lot of reasons that have nothing to do with others in the area. I have more experience there than anywhere else, but I have been to other shops as well.

So here are the reasons I go there:
1. Two miles from my house. Ha, can't beat that. If I lived further away, would I still go to NoHo? Yeah.
2. Mike has been riding, fixing, and selling scooters for much longer than anyone else in the area selling new scooters. Between him and his mechanics, they're far more knowledgable and experienced than any other shop in the area. Aaron, one of the mechanics, is Vespa certified (modern and vintage) and has been the only person other than myself to work on my Vespa for several years now.
3. They're honest. No hidden or surprise charges. If a model on their floor has issues or drawbacks, they'll tell you. They're not just trying to push the most expensive thing on the floor on everyone who comes in.
4. NoHo and Mike have been active supporters of the local scooter scene for many years, sponsoring rides and rallys, organizing events and so on. You will rarely see anyone from other shops at any scooter event that's not a shop promotion of some sort.
5. They've gone above and beyond to help me when I've had crashes and breakdowns.

When I first started riding, I could have cared less about any of that (ha). Now, these things are important to me. If you're going to be riding a lot and putting a lot of miles on a scoot, having a reliable dealer who you trust and who you've built a relationship with is invaluable. Owners will sometimes go quite a distance to use a shop they like. (Example: Under its previous owners, Vespa Sherman Oaks alienated and angered a lot of customers. Many LA-area Vespa owners were going to Vespa Santa Barbara for service because at the time they were closest and had a very good reputation.)

All of the local shops have their advantages though, and they're quite different in many ways. Some may be a better fit for you than others. As weird as it may sound now, finding a shop that's a good fit could be helpful—and save you money—in the long run.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
Witch

Post by Witch »

I can put in another good word for Mike at NoHo.

When I was younger and much more insane than I currently am, I rode my kitted Scarabeo 50 from Texas to California. Couldn't really find any scoot-friendly roads past the California state line, and the wind was really horrible at the time. Mike drove all the way from LA in the middle of the night to pick up me and my bike. Can't think the guy enough for that. It was way more than anyone should have done, but he did it anyway... 'cause he's awesome like that. Would never hesitate to take my bike and my dollars to him if I ever happen to be in the area again.
jaylee718

Post by jaylee718 »

Noho is an amazing shop. Super nice people.. plus you can play old school video games!!!

I'm in Venice and although Noho is far, it's a really fun ride up there cruising up Sepulveda. Then on the way back taking Old Topanga back down, such a nice ride.

Find the place that has the best deal, then you can do services locally.
davelhunter

Bad experience at Rt. 66

Post by davelhunter »

I would not recommend Rt. 66. I had a very bad bad experience with them when I had my 1st service on my Blur 220i. I would avoid them at all costs! I heard NOHO is a good shop though.
desmolicious

Re: Bad experience at Rt. 66

Post by desmolicious »

davelhunter wrote:I would not recommend Rt. 66. I had a very bad bad experience with them when I had my 1st service on my Blur 220i. I would avoid them at all costs! I heard NOHO is a good shop though.
I 'like' them but when my new Stella 4T had an oil leak they said that was due to the 40 year old design and nothing could be done.

NoHo, on the other hand, fixed it. It was just a couple of faulty o rings.
mia_mali

Post by mia_mali »

What's NoHo's address? I need to find a new "home" shop that's on par with Scoot Richmond (which I miss dearly, btw).
<b><i>Roads? Where we're going, we don't need roads</b></i>
Drum Pro

Post by Drum Pro »

NOHO Scooters is located at 5144 Vineland Ave. North Hollywood,Ca. Close to Magnolia Blvd.
LunaP

Post by LunaP »

mia_mali wrote:What's NoHo's address? I need to find a new "home" shop that's on par with Scoot Richmond (which I miss dearly, btw).
If you find that any of these shops are on par with Scoot Richmond, please give me a heads up. I may end up in Cali next year, and SR will be one of the things I miss terribly.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

I was hoping to visit Scoot Richmond when I was out there last year but ran out of time. Maybe on my next visit.

Who wants to go for a ride? :)
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
LunaP

Post by LunaP »

I/we would totally ride with you if you come before the move. =D
mia_mali

Post by mia_mali »

Scoot's coming in on thursday! I'm down!
<b><i>Roads? Where we're going, we don't need roads</b></i>