gonna buy the 170i this saturday, but afraid i might regret

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

churroe

gonna buy the 170i this saturday, but afraid i might regret

Post by churroe »

hey guys,

needless to say, i'm totally stoked to get my first scooter, a buddy 170i. but after reading about the problems with the FI and all of this other hooha, i'm afraid i might regret not getting the 125. i test rode both and thought the 170i was a smoother ride, and don't mind paying the additional $1000 since i'm going to ride it till the wheels fall off.

but now i'm immersing myself on this board and from what i've read, it seems like the wheels might fall off sooner than expected. any advice you guys can shell out? any 170i owners want to reassure me that everything is going to be ok?

hug me, i'm scared. thanks.
michelle_7728

Post by michelle_7728 »

I can't speak for the 170 owners, but I've had a blast with my 125. :D
Past bikes: 08' Genuine Buddy 125, '07 Yamaha Majesty 400, '07 Piaggio MP3 250, '08 Piaggio MP3 500, '08 Aprilia Scarabeo 500
Current bikes: Two '09 Genuine Buddy 125's
Skootz Kabootz

Post by Skootz Kabootz »

I'm not sure what would give you any impression that the "wheels might fall off [the 170i] sooner than expected" when the scooter has only been sold for a couple of months, hardly a comment on longevity, and the vast majority of owners are delighted with their scooters anyways.

"It's only fun if you live to talk about it." | Adventurists Scooter Group |
viney266

Post by viney266 »

The only issues I"m seeing are the FI retarding timing and adding fuel ( like it supposed to) to skoots that are being run really hard... I"m not sure but the FI may be too sensitive. The motor I think is fine, and I would own one without worry.

I don't want to pick on anyone, I have only ridden a 170i around the block. I liked it alot, but obviously didn't experience the fuel light issue

If you plan on hammering it wide open for hours you may have issues overheating, but you really can't do that with a car either...It would be tough to find a place even to try...

What color did you decide on BTW?

Thats my 2 cents. Maybe some 170 owners will chime in
Speed is only a matter of money...How fast do you want to go?
beastmaster

Post by beastmaster »

get the 170 fi and enjoy the hell out of it , i tried to but didnt have the credit
But he was pierced for our transgressions,
he was crushed for our iniquities;
Chessy1

Post by Chessy1 »

I would advise to get what you want. When I first read this forum, I was deciding between a Blur and 170i, but in the end I purchased a Honda (safe bet as I read about concerns here).

But, there was enough of a pull from the 170i and it's zoom-zoom factor that still has me reading this forum from time-to-time, despite being happy with my scoot. So go with the 170i and have fun, plus remember the issues with the FI seem to be related to riding WOT which means you probably would be traveling faster than 62 mph which might not be wise as I heard the tires are not rated to go faster than that...
churroe

Post by churroe »

thanks for the responses. i guess i'm just going to have to not worry about it malfunctioning and enjoy the hell out of it for what it is. as for color, i got the green. also plan on adding surfboard rack to it. but i'm super super excited. test rode it last saturday and haven't gotten much sleep since.

i'll be sure to take pics once i get it hooked up w/the surf rack, but here's a little preview. btw, if you ever see me in san diego please be sure to honk! (my helmet should be a dead giveaway. haahha).

as for the credit, i was declined at first also, but called up a local credit union and got approved at 9.25% for 36 months. i have to pay about $500-600 up front and i plan to pay $150 a month. if i calculated it correctly, i'll have it paid off in around 27 months (with a total of $290 in finance charges).

maybe too much info, but hopefully someone will find that helpful.
Attachments
oxford_170.jpeg
oxford_170.jpeg (33.87 KiB) Viewed 1667 times
2010-Bell-Custom-500-Helmet.jpeg
2010-Bell-Custom-500-Helmet.jpeg (11.54 KiB) Viewed 1667 times
michelle_7728

Post by michelle_7728 »

Well congrats!, and be sure to post pictures of your Buddy with the surf board rack.

I'm sure you will have a lot of fun with it. :D
Past bikes: 08' Genuine Buddy 125, '07 Yamaha Majesty 400, '07 Piaggio MP3 250, '08 Piaggio MP3 500, '08 Aprilia Scarabeo 500
Sparky

Post by Sparky »

As a guy who rode his 125 into a hard seize--not a design fault, it had almost 18k miles of hard running--the 170i's FI heat sensitivity may be less of a bug than you might think. You'll have a visible warning from an electrical sensor rather than convincing yourself (as I did) that "the rattle and changed exhaust note aren't *really* that serious".
Colinchristian

Post by Colinchristian »

GO FOR IT!!!

It's a great ride. Granted my recent issue could have happened to any scoot, I just happen to have a 170. Battery Issue... :?

have fun, and post some pics of that bad boy when you get it!
Image Twitter: @ccbloodworth
Blog http://ccbloodworth.blogspot.com/
eatworksleepdie

Post by eatworksleepdie »

def. interested in seeing it with the surfboard rack as I'm contemplating making a mountain bike rack for my Black Jack!
Tony
Buddy Black Jack
mattgordon

Re: gonna buy the 170i this saturday, but afraid i might reg

Post by mattgordon »

churroe wrote:hey guys,

needless to say, i'm totally stoked to get my first scooter, a buddy 170i. but after reading about the problems with the FI and all of this other hooha, i'm afraid i might regret not getting the 125. i test rode both and thought the 170i was a smoother ride, and don't mind paying the additional $1000 since i'm going to ride it till the wheels fall off.

but now i'm immersing myself on this board and from what i've read, it seems like the wheels might fall off sooner than expected. any advice you guys can shell out? any 170i owners want to reassure me that everything is going to be ok?

hug me, i'm scared. thanks.
Thats what 2 yr/ultd mileage warranties are for.....
viney266

Post by viney266 »

^^^ good point...Any early issues will be covered under warranty IF you even have any...
Rippinyarn

Post by Rippinyarn »

You'll love it! It's probably a better feeling jumping on a 170i than even my precious Blur. It's a very friendly and rewarding ride and you'll be surprised how much you *love* it. I sure did after my little 50-mile test ride! I wanted to go all day!

If I could buy another scooter TODAY, it would be a 170i. The damn things are irresistible.
Rovers SC
Check out the latest at scooterfile.com
Drum Pro

Post by Drum Pro »

I own a Buddy 170I and they are great scoots!! most people aren't having problems with them at all and the people that are, are riding them too hard or riding them the way they aren't suppose too. If you get one then I don't think you'll be dissatisfied with it as long as you ride within the parameters of yourself and the scoot. (I.E. It's not intended for the freeway).....
Drum Pro

Post by Drum Pro »

Is the wheel base putting a bit of a fright into you? You can always go with a Kymco or Sym. They have a bigger wheel base I think....
RobY

Post by RobY »

Though I've only had my 170i a week, I love having that extra boost when travelling on 45MPH roads in traffic.

I gotta say that green 170 with the racing stripes is unbelievably awesome. I was really torn between waiting for that one or taking an in-stock mocha one, but impatience one over.

-Rob
k1dude

Post by k1dude »

I have a 125 that I bought 3 years ago and love it. But if I were buying today and could afford either, I'd be all over the 170i.
michelle_7728

Post by michelle_7728 »

Drum Pro wrote:I own a Buddy 170I and they are great scoots!! most people aren't having problems with them at all and the people that are, are riding them too hard or riding them the way they aren't suppose too. If you get one then I don't think you'll be dissatisfied with it as long as you ride within the parameters of yourself and the scoot. (I.E. It's not intended for the freeway).....
I ride my 125 on the freeway all the time at 62-65mph (70 indicated)...granted only for maybe 20 minutes at a time, since that's all the time it takes me to get to work or home. :)
churroe

Post by churroe »

thanks for all the reassurance guys. i'm picking it up first thing tomorrow. super excited. i'm wearing my helmet as i type this. hahaha.
Skootz Kabootz

Post by Skootz Kabootz »

Awesome! Have an amazing day tomorrow! The fun is just beginning :)

"It's only fun if you live to talk about it." | Adventurists Scooter Group |
churroe

just had my first weekend w/the 170i

Post by churroe »

in a nutshell, had the time of my life. live in sd, finally got the scooter and with the weather, the buddy has made my life here even more enjoyable than i would ever imagine.

right off the dealer rode off along the coast, checked out the waves, got lost in some hills and put in over 80 miles. had to fill up some gas (getting worried) and couldn't even put in a full gallon before filling up. it was awesome. $3.20 for an entire day of fun.

thanks for the support. i love the 170i and am very very glad i got it instead of the 125. i do like the 125, but the rumbling exhaust note of the 170i just sounds absolutely beautiful. just got done riding again and put on an extra 45 miles today.

it's crazy how fun and practical it is: park everywhere, ridiculous gas mileage, super fun and the exchange between other motorcyclists. frak awesome. from now on, my car's only coming out when it rains.
Drum Pro

Post by Drum Pro »

I don't wanna say it, but, "We told ya so"! Ha,Ha, Haaa!!!!!
viney266

Post by viney266 »

Thats GREAT news! Glad to see you putting down the miles already. I am the same way. I LOVE to ride.
SteMer

Re: just had my first weekend w/the 170i

Post by SteMer »

churroe wrote:it's crazy how fun and practical it is: park everywhere, ridiculous gas mileage, super fun and the exchange between other motorcyclists. frak awesome. from now on, my car's only coming out when it rains.
Or just get a rain suit and continue the fun!
Congrats on the purchase - you can easily see now that you won't regret it!
Mighty Ohio Scooter Club

jijifer

Re: just had my first weekend w/the 170i

Post by jijifer »

churroe wrote:in a nutshell, had the time of my life. live in sd, finally got the scooter and with the weather, the buddy has made my life here even more enjoyable than i would ever imagine.

right off the dealer rode off along the coast, checked out the waves, got lost in some hills and put in over 80 miles. had to fill up some gas (getting worried) and couldn't even put in a full gallon before filling up. it was awesome. $3.20 for an entire day of fun.

thanks for the support. i love the 170i and am very very glad i got it instead of the 125. i do like the 125, but the rumbling exhaust note of the 170i just sounds absolutely beautiful. just got done riding again and put on an extra 45 miles today.

it's crazy how fun and practical it is: park everywhere, ridiculous gas mileage, super fun and the exchange between other motorcyclists. frak awesome. from now on, my car's only coming out when it rains.
If you need saturday appoints, set up your first service NOW. you've already got what 120miles. Just over 200miles get that first service and saturday appointments are hard to get at motorsports!