windsheild for 170

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

groovy scooter

windsheild for 170

Post by groovy scooter »

i've been looking online and see some for other buddy models, but none mention the 170 for a fit. it's getting cold, and i want to ride all winter when possible. anyone know a source for tall 170i windsheilds?
babblefish

Post by babblefish »

Not 100% sure about this, but I believe the windshields for all the other Buddies will fit the 170i.
Some people can break a crowbar in a sandbox.
MYSCTR

Post by MYSCTR »

Yep - Babblefish is spot on... all 2007 and forward 125, 150 & 170i Buddy's can use the same windshield.

Now for a TALL windshied - that may be another problem as we have only used the Cuppini Buddy (short) windscreen which is really more of a mid windshield and will help bump the wind up over your helmet or the Prima Medium (universal) windscreen that really was a bit shorter than the Cuppini although it sat up a bit straighter and was a bit wider overall.

It looks like the Cuppini tall windscreen was only offered in the pre-2007 Buddy version.
groovy scooter

Post by groovy scooter »

thanks for that info! i had a windscreen on my harley and didn't like it much... i caught too much wind in the face, but it was a medium size. i was thinking that a taller one would be better. does genuine buddy have stock windscreens? i had a catalogue from them, but who knows where that dissapeared to in my messy life!
MYSCTR

Post by MYSCTR »

The Prima (WSPRIMA1) is being dumped at $43.50

The Cuppini (WSBUD3) is listed at $104.00

http://www.scooterworks.com/Windshields ... -C590.aspx

The Buddy uses a reverse thread (left hand thread) on the right hand side and are not easily replaced.

When comparing online, note the Cuppini shows to be taller overall at 17" x 17" yet that is because it extends down each side of the headlight. It tapers to 9" at the top in width. My wife's is installed at 14-1/4" above the headlight to the top of the acrylic yet could be raised another inch or so.

The Prima shows to be 17" x 14" yet does not extend down beside the headlight. It does stay much wider overall.

Both can be adjusted in overall height by where you secure the acylic to the brackets.

Good luck!
smithrw

Post by smithrw »

I ended up with a Slipstreamer 40. I like it as it is not only curved from side to side but it has a small curve outward at the top which really helps deflect the wind from my face. At 40 mph I feel nothing.
AWinn6889

Post by AWinn6889 »

I'm looking at getting the Slipstreamer Scoot 66, probably post Christmas when I have a little extra money. Just put the 170 away for the winter.
No power in the 'verse can stop me.
heythere512

Post by heythere512 »

is any special hardware needed for the slip stream windshield? I'm looking at it, since it is less expensive than the Cupprino shield, and seems taller.
MYSCTR

Post by MYSCTR »

Have never installed a slip stream yet looking at the website seems all hardware is included - may want to confirm the bolt thread size.
smithrw

Post by smithrw »

All the supplied hardware worked just fine. The only thing I did was to cut the bottom of it out a bit so it would conform to the shape of the headlight. Be sure to use blue Locktite on every thing.
smithrw

Post by smithrw »

One other thing, I found mine on ebay and saved a ton. Check with your local dealer first though and maybe they can discount it for cyber monday.
BuddyLicious

Post by BuddyLicious »

Found this on another site.

Scoot 66 Universal Windshield 20 W X 13 H Inches
Scoot 30 Universal Windshield 14W x 16 H Inches
Scoot 40 Universal Windshield 17 W X 23 H Inches

The 66 description from another site,

Made in the U.S.A.
Fits 8mm mirror threads
Mounts to mirrors up to 18 inches apart
.150 (3.8mm) Lucite acrylic windshield
Includes anodized aluminum mounts and powder coated steel hardware for left and/or right handed threads
Aerosmith, None Other.
GrantSR

Putting a 2006 windscreen on a 2007.

Post by GrantSR »

When I first got my 2007 Buddy 125 I lived in Lawrence, KS. The winters get really cold there and I planned to ride all year long because I don't have a car (cage) any more. The only windscreen available that would block the wind from my hands was a 2006, tall windscreen. And when I say tall I mean

T
A
L
L
!

Being handy with the Dremel tool (I've had one or another continuously since I was about 12, back in 1972) I knew I could adjust the opening for the larger headlight of my 2007 Buddy. That went great but I then also had to cut down the height of the thing because it was soooo tall that the wind would cause it to fold down and hit me in the top of the head. YEAH, I was being attacked by my scooter.

Now my (pre-mod) windscreen looked a bit different from the Cuppini shown in the links. Mine has an actual "Genuine" sticker on the front and only had the black trim around the headlight area. (I would hate to have that black line right in my line of sight all the time.) At some point, I hope to pull the windscreen off and make a template which I can upload. But that might not do anyone any good because the curvature of my windscreen may be different from what is currently available, thus throwing everything off.

Anyhow, it is possible to adapt a windscreen made to fit around a smaller headlight to fit around a larger headlight. It just takes a bit (meaning a whole hell of a lot) of patience and a bit of skill with the ole Dremel tool. If anyone wants further tips on how I did it, just ask.
I call my scooter "Ada <b>&</b> Marie" because I'm just too much man for one dead, female, scientist to handle. ;^)
smithrw

Post by smithrw »

Be sure to use masking tape on both sides before cutting. Then go really slow. If you have to you can cut just outside of the mark and put the final shape on it with some course sand paper. That's what I did and it turned out looking factory. I actually practiced on a scrap piece of plexiglass just to get the feel of it.
heythere512

Post by heythere512 »

UPDATE: The quote button isnt working, so - in reply to whoever said that all Buddys are universal... it isn't so. I bought the WSPRIMA1 from Scooterworks on Cyber Monday for $43. Installed it tonight in the cold on my 170i... and failed. Was about 2.5 to 3 inches too short on width. Sucks for my 170. The good news is it fit our Kymco Like 200i perfectly. Sigh. I believe the SlipStream 66 that someone else mentioned will work, tho, as it is 20" W instead of 17.

I do wonder, though, why Scooterworks said the Prima would fit "Buddy..." Oh well.
MYSCTR

Post by MYSCTR »

heythere512 wrote:UPDATE: The quote button isnt working, so - in reply to whoever said that all Buddys are universal... it isn't so.
All Buddy's from 2007 - current models including the 125's, the international 150's, the Blackjack 150, the new 170i and even the new Psycho 125 ALL use the same body parts, are built on the same frame and will take the same windshields.
heythere512 wrote:I bought the WSPRIMA1 from Scooterworks... Installed it... on my 170i... and failed. Was about 2.5 to 3 inches too short on width. I do wonder, though, why Scooterworks said the Prima would fit "Buddy..." Oh well.
Makes you wonder if a) Scooterworks shipped the wrong WS (maybe the wrong label was on the packaging) or b) it was installed wrong.

We first installed all three of our Cuppini WS's wrong and although they worked, they worked better when a tech showed us how with a little adjustment they were installed as intended which actually helped to push the air up over our helmets when riding.

We just do NOT like the way the Prima fits on the Buddy when compared to the Cuppini and that is why the only Prima we ever had (came in a package deal) was installed on a scooter we sold as it was brand new and we wanted to keep our matching Cuppini windshields on our three scooters.
PeteH

Post by PeteH »

Apropos of nothing at all - what were the 'adjustments' that you did to the Cuppinis to improve over-the-helmet airflow?
Feel da rhythm! Feel da rhyme! Get on up! It's Buddy Time!
MYSCTR

Post by MYSCTR »

PeteH wrote:Apropos of nothing at all - what were the 'adjustments' that you did to the Cuppinis to improve over-the-helmet airflow?
Note the pictures (if they are clear enough) as it shows the proper installation - yet we had the mounting plate facing forwards and out in front of the bolt which meant the WS tilted back as the arms were spread much wider.
Attachments
Buddy WS clamps 002b.jpg
Buddy WS clamps 002b.jpg (70.76 KiB) Viewed 1300 times
Buddy WS clamps 001b.jpg
Buddy WS clamps 001b.jpg (78.21 KiB) Viewed 1300 times
heythere512

Post by heythere512 »

Note the pictures (if they are clear enough) as it shows the proper installation - yet we had the mounting plate facing forwards and out in front of the bolt which meant the WS tilted back as the arms were spread much wider.
Wow, once again, I feel rather dumb. If I install the mounting plate the way your picture shows, I bet it WILL fit the 170i. :oops:[/quote]
MYSCTR

Post by MYSCTR »

heythere512 wrote:
Wow, once again, I feel rather dumb. If I install the mounting plate the way your picture shows, I bet it WILL fit the 170i. :oops:
[/quote]

Well - don't feel too bad - we had three installed wrong and I MADE them fit the wrong way. Thanks to the tech that set us straight in a really nice way - he just fixed mine when getting serviced and when I noticed he was like 'ya, they work a lot better like this'. I was still the idiot who had them all wrong - what a difference it made regarding the wind!

We have learned with the Buddy that there is some pretty serious breakdowns in translation when it comes to trying to follow some of the instruction – or there just isn’t any instruction given at all on some items.

Glad the pictures helped!
PeteH

Post by PeteH »

Thanks - I may now have to go out and look how mine is attached. I get some wind on the helmet.
Feel da rhythm! Feel da rhyme! Get on up! It's Buddy Time!