VIDEO: Commuting in Saigon

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

EBee

VIDEO: Commuting in Saigon

Post by EBee »

The cars are a minority here! http://vimeo.com/32958521
"If everything is coming your way, you're in the wrong lane."--Steven Wright
Tocsik

Post by Tocsik »

That was a blast to watch! That round about was uber-scary.

The use of the speed control in the video was extremely well done.

Hah, stupid cars.
.::I know the voices in my head aren't real, but man do they come up with some great ideas::.
Raiderfn311

Post by Raiderfn311 »

It would be a bit scary, but Id jump right in!!! Then I would find a "me love you long time" lady. :lol:
The Edge....there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who truly know where it is have gone over. -Hunter S. Thompson
Dibber

Post by Dibber »

I was there in 1971 during the war. The traffic looks the same, but the city has really changed for the good. Glade to see how nice they have rebuilt the city. Thanks for sharing the clip. I would like to go back there someday and see it in a more peaceful way.
Bart "This is the worst day of my life!" Homer "No it's the worst day so far!"
www.twincitiesrider.com
rsrider

Post by rsrider »

I've heard stories where in Hanoi at night, they have massive scooter races in the middle of the city. The one caveat is that the police randomly shoot into the swarm of scooters as they go by. Easy to lose position with a sudden bullet wound.
Using the internet for evil since 1994.
agrogod

Post by agrogod »

Because of the time lapse it reminded me of an angry swarm of fire ants. Just seemed like chaos going on in the circle. And of the few cars that were present, most looked like some type of public transport and delivery vehicles.
"When your mouth is yapping your arms stop flapping, get to work" - a quote from my father R.I.P..
always start with the simple, it may end up costing you little to nothing
babblefish

Post by babblefish »

That was a really cool video and it reminded me a lot of my experience in Taiwan. The part showing the traffic circle with the island in the middle is uncannily exactly the same as in Hsin Chu Taiwan. My first time trying to ride a scooter into this maelstrom was a arse puckering experience. I soon got used to it and just closed my eyes and hoped for the best. It really isn't that bad once one gets used to it. Lucky for me, in the one and a half years I spent there, I didn't get into a single accident on a scooter. Cars? Well, that's a different story. Like the creator of the Saigon video says, there's a certain "energy" in the flow of life there that's hard to describe and that I'll always miss.
Some people can break a crowbar in a sandbox.
Howardr

Post by Howardr »

I would kind of like to see that in normal speed. It's a beautiful piece as is, though.

Howard
Iron Butt Association Member Number 42256
Club - The Sky Island Riders.
Publisher: The Scooter 'Zine thescooterzine.com
un_designer

Post by un_designer »

Yes there are a lot of scooters and bicicyles and everything else in the city. That video actually doesn't show it as crowded as I've seen/been in. It's crazy but not too bad if you pay attention. Depending on the road/s that you're on, the speed is pretty slow so it's not bad at all. You just stick to a crowd of the same type of vehicle/speed and move as a group and it's more or less fine. I was there for several weeks a few years ago and went all over on a bicycle and it was fine.
» Current: 2006 Saabaru 9-2x Aero, 2006 Scion xB, Original '07 Series Italia, 2003 Marin Highway One
» Departed: 2004 Subaru WRX, 1999 1/2 VW GTI
JHScoot

Post by JHScoot »

city looks amazing and beautiful. would love to visit there

or even live :shock:

america is getting on my nerves as of late. if it keeps up i shall retire elsewhere. hopefully, scooters will be there such as in HCMC
Riding is riding
michelle_7728

Post by michelle_7728 »

Cool video! Thanks for sharing. :)

At first, I thought the one circled in red was a Buddy, but I guess it's a Vespa.

Anyone have any idea what the heck the one in blue is? Is that a Segway, or something else????

Other observations:
* There are an amazing amount of people riding 2 up.
* In the gas station scene, I see that they do not pump their own gas. LOTS of attendants in sight, and it's a small station....
Attachments
Vietnam 1.jpg
Vietnam 1.jpg (158.73 KiB) Viewed 1030 times
Past bikes: 08' Genuine Buddy 125, '07 Yamaha Majesty 400, '07 Piaggio MP3 250, '08 Piaggio MP3 500, '08 Aprilia Scarabeo 500
Current bikes: Two '09 Genuine Buddy 125's
michelle_7728

Post by michelle_7728 »

rsrider wrote:I've heard stories where in Hanoi at night, they have massive scooter races in the middle of the city. The one caveat is that the police randomly shoot into the swarm of scooters as they go by. Easy to lose position with a sudden bullet wound.
:shock:
Past bikes: 08' Genuine Buddy 125, '07 Yamaha Majesty 400, '07 Piaggio MP3 250, '08 Piaggio MP3 500, '08 Aprilia Scarabeo 500
Current bikes: Two '09 Genuine Buddy 125's