Where You Scootin' To This Fine Weekend?

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

JHScoot

Where You Scootin' To This Fine Weekend?

Post by JHScoot »

Going to Long Beach, 50 mile round trip and just one road to take there from my house. Looking forward to each and every mile.

How about you :?:
buddy boy

Post by buddy boy »

I went out for a ride. It got to be too windy for highway travel, so I stopped at Kroger for groceries. I decided to try some Choco Vine. It is billed as a chocolate flavored red wine. It tastes like a chocolate flavored Bailey's Irish Cream. I recommend it. In fact I am having some now. So while I did not have a great riding day, I did find something good. Hope your ride was fun.
TVB

Post by TVB »

I went for a ride around the lake. Not the Lake, mind you, just Reeds Lake, the local ice-fishing and -skating hole. Mostly clear roads, partly sunny skies, and twenty-something degrees. It was a nice chance to get out of the house, clear my head, and also take a half-hour walk in the woods.
ericalm
Site Admin

Re: Where You Scootin' To This Fine Weekend?

Post by ericalm »

On Sunday, I'm riding to tasty sausages with the LA Scooter Group! (And I think you are, too, JHScoot.)

Saturday morning I'm going to try to figure out a good route for Sunday, ha. Also hopefully going to try to figure out if there's a loose connection in the Vespa's CDI (front lights are all out!) and giving the Stella a much-needed washing.
JHScoot wrote:Going to Long Beach, 50 mile round trip and just one road to take there from my house. Looking forward to each and every mile.

Which road are you taking?
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
Cassadaga

Post by Cassadaga »

I will probably be heading to Palo Duro Canyon state park. A 25 mile round trip for me!

http://www.palodurocanyon.com/
JHScoot

Post by JHScoot »

ericalm wrote:On Sunday, I'm riding to tasty sausages with the LA Scooter Group! (And I think you are, too, JHScoot.)

Saturday morning I'm going to try to figure out a good route for Sunday, ha. Also hopefully going to try to figure out if there's a loose connection in the Vespa's CDI (front lights are all out!) and giving the Stella a much-needed washing.
JHScoot wrote:Going to Long Beach, 50 mile round trip and just one road to take there from my house. Looking forward to each and every mile.

Which road are you taking?
yes i plan on being there. the only thing that stands between me and my scooter being there is my mother's 67th birthday gathering. its sunday afternoon, but idk when yet? waiting on details. worst case scenario for the ride would be i could make it for the first part, but not for the sausages and good times and ride back

if that is the case however, i will make more of a morning of it and show up early at the cafe for coffee and maybe walk some trails a bit. does it sound selfish to say i am not going to let my mother's 67th birthday ruin my entire day? maybe? but i'm not nonetheless

plus i have been to Wurstküche a couple times when 40 people on scooters didn't show up at once, and know it can be busy and a little slow. at least the times i've gone. so i might have to get going as soon as i sat down :(

but oh well. if its coffee and a muffin and a little time in the park beforehand instead, thats fine i suppose. i have never been to The Trails and have a 10 mile ride in already. so i will make the most of it. hope its an interesting ride into downtown, at least

oh, my route to Long Beach? straight and true. out of my driveway a right turn, and a left. then straight down Garfield Blvd around 22 miles starting in South Pasadena. thats it, really. speed limit rarely tops 40mph, and i just zip along at 50. it was a nice ride :)

but sure, this Sunday (as opposed to this last Sat to LBC) i will be riding some with the Los Angeles Scooter Meet Up Group. so that is on my scooter riding plate this coming weekend
cdwise

Post by cdwise »

Probably nowhere since my son gets his Eagle Scout this weekend and thunderstorms are predicted. If we do get out it will be on Sunday and weather dependent.
KABarash

Post by KABarash »

cdwise wrote: my son gets his Eagle Scout this weekend
Congrats to you both!
Aging is mandatory, growing up is optional.
My kids call me 'crazy', I prefer 'Eccentric'.
Nullius in verba
BootScootin'FireFighter

Post by BootScootin'FireFighter »

This past weekend, I took a brisk ride across the District to get 2 pictures for scooter-tag. It's been in the high 20s to low 30s, so I didn't want to venture too far from home, just keeping it simple with local trips.
JHScoot wrote:does it sound selfish to say i am not going to let my mother's 67th birthday ruin my entire day? maybe?
... don't let it bother you, and you don't need to sugar coat it with us, because many (myself included) agree! I can't stand missing a great day of riding or doing what "I" want to do for the sake of annoying family obligations. It's not like an eclipse, there will always be birthdays and you can always sing that annoying song the day before.
mike_cor

Post by mike_cor »

We're getting some sunny and cool weather this upcoming weekend so I'm looking to go riding, might map out a new path to Santa Cruz CA from where I live and learn some new roads.
KABarash

Post by KABarash »

mike_cor wrote:We're getting some sunny and cool weather this upcoming weekend so I'm looking to go riding, might map out a new path to Santa Cruz CA from where I live and learn some new roads.
Map a path?? HUH?? Just ride.....
What I always do is, as I'm riding I think, Hmmmmm....... Where does that road go? and down I go to find out. I've found some of the coolest places off the 'beaten path' Especially since Lancaster County Pennsylvania is SOoooooooooo boring
Nullius in verba
mike_cor

Post by mike_cor »

KABarash wrote:
mike_cor wrote:We're getting some sunny and cool weather this upcoming weekend so I'm looking to go riding, might map out a new path to Santa Cruz CA from where I live and learn some new roads.
Map a path?? HUH?? Just ride.....
What I always do is, as I'm riding I think, Hmmmmm....... Where does that road go? and down I go to find out. I've found some of the coolest places off the 'beaten path' Especially since Lancaster County Pennsylvania is SOoooooooooo boring
LOL yea, I suppose you're right. I'm still new to riding (started 11.24.10) and still a bit cautious when it comes to unfamiliar territory. Love it though, looking forward to this weekend.
jmkjr72

Post by jmkjr72 »

cdwise wrote:Probably nowhere since my son gets his Eagle Scout this weekend and thunderstorms are predicted. If we do get out it will be on Sunday and weather dependent.
congrats yo your son that is a great accomplish ment in a scouts life
z 2008 zuma 50
olive 2008 setlla
1979 tomos
Dibber

Post by Dibber »

My garage. I run my scooter every 15 days to keep the carb clean and seals lubricated. Haven't seen the tar for almost 2 months. Round 2 of snow starts Friday and round 3 of snow is on Monday. Not sure when round 1 ever ended as it has been snowing for the last two days. Not hard snow, but snow non the less. Sure wish I could move to warmer climates. You all enjoy your rides.
Bart "This is the worst day of my life!" Homer "No it's the worst day so far!"
www.twincitiesrider.com
mukaiboston

Post by mukaiboston »

Same as Dibber. The main roads are clear but there is still slush on my street leading to the main road. I don't dare take the scooter out on the slush, even if it's only three blocks. It is supposed to rain on Tuesday so hopefully that will wash the slush away.

I don't have a garage either...my buddy is sitting in the cold and I would like to run it to keep it smooth.
jahair

Post by jahair »

Saturday- Just a small ride on my week old Buddy 125 around town

Sunday- A nice ride to Red Rocks and Dinosaur Ridge in Morrison, CO
If you set out to fail and you succeed, which have you done?
TVB

Post by TVB »

This weekend, I took the scooter.... indoors. It's been a full week of snowy days and/or nights here, and the roads won't be clear enough for scooting any time soon, not even for a for-the-halibut ride to the park and back. And since indoors is where the electricity is, that's where I took Flash this afternoon. I've since converted the room where he spent last winter into a studio, so instead he'll be hanging out in the living room for the next few months.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Went out today and rode the route I'll be leading about 30+ scooters on tomorrow.

Sorry to tell you all, but it was a beautiful morning, temps in the low 70s under clear, sunny skies. Tomorrow promises more of the same.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
Lostmycage
FAQ Moderator

Post by Lostmycage »

ericalm wrote:Went out today and rode the route I'll be leading about 30+ scooters on tomorrow.

Sorry to tell you all, but it was a beautiful morning, temps in the low 70s under clear, sunny skies. Tomorrow promises more of the same.
That's a painful jab, but I'm getting concrete for my garage on Monday so I'm in a good mood. Good for you, ya lucky bastard!

I went for a short ride myself today to go visit Scoot Richmond and then down a ways along a scenic favorite. It felt good to get out! It was also good to get the old gas out of my tank.
Check out :arrow: Scoot Richmond's new site: My awesome local shop.
Coffeejunkie

Post by Coffeejunkie »

I'm going flat out crazy having to take my car every where. Granted I love my little Toyota; she's gotten me through a lot of tight spots, but I desperately want to be on two wheels again. The last time I took Victoria for a spin was when I took her to Twist 'n' Scoot to get new tires, that was 8 days ago (It's a short period time but damn if it doesn't smart.).

Atlanta, for being such a big city has a craptastic track record of handling snow and ice. In a city of 6 million Atlanta has 11 snow plows and very little salt. So while the weather came and went in about 48 hours, we have been socked in with snow and ice for over a week. To make matters worse, the DOT has spread enough gravel and sand to build beach resort. The only way I'm going to be able to get out for a good ride is if the rain that is coming tomorrow is strong enough to wash all of this crap away.

So most likely my ride this weekend will consist of starting Vic up and sitting in the carport while I let the Prima Pipe drown out my sobbing. :cry:
Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

http://javascoots.wordpress.com/
Queen

Post by Queen »

Guess I'll do what Dibber is doing, go out and start the Buddies and bikes and let them run a bit. It's 15F outside but we do have some sunshine today!
KABarash

Post by KABarash »

ericalm wrote:Sorry to tell you all, but it was a beautiful morning, temps in the low 70s under clear, sunny skies. Tomorrow promises more of the same.
It got all the way up to like 40something yesterday....I rode!!!

Oh yeah; Coffee Shop again today. Why one might ask? Because I can!! :P :P
Nullius in verba
black sunshine

Post by black sunshine »

gonna make my first trip since Snowpocalypse 2011 in Atlanta . . . only down the street to the kickball field, but i NEED the scoot!
buddy boy

Post by buddy boy »

Just went out for lunch. It is about 40F here. The sun is out and the wind is cold, but still, it is riding. We didn't ride but about ten miles. That was enough for Buddy girl (she forgot to wear her thermals).
JHScoot

Post by JHScoot »

BootScootin'FireFighter wrote:
JHScoot wrote:does it sound selfish to say i am not going to let my mother's 67th birthday ruin my entire day? maybe?
... don't let it bother you, and you don't need to sugar coat it with us, because many (myself included) agree! I can't stand missing a great day of riding or doing what "I" want to do for the sake of annoying family obligations. It's not like an eclipse, there will always be birthdays and you can always sing that annoying song the day before.
True. But as it turns out I missed a good day of riding for other reasons. Which I suppose were legitimate and understandable based on a set of unforeseeable circumstances which compelled my time for them and away from riding. But it is still a bummer, nonetheless

i am waiting for eric to maybe check back into the thread to say "no one showed up, awful ride, terrible sausage and beer, terrible ride back....awful"

but i know that will never happen. it was probably the greatest thing ever. or at least of the year :P
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

JHScoot wrote:i am waiting for eric to maybe check back into the thread to say "no one showed up, awful ride, terrible sausage and beer, terrible ride back....awful"

but i know that will never happen. it was probably the greatest thing ever. or at least of the year :P
Umm… we had 100% attendance; 38 scoots. I can't lie; it was a good day. :)
JHScoot

Post by JHScoot »

yeah i would guess as much. i was just joking, before. good times must be had

i did get some scooting in this weekend, but all too brief. just some short point a to point b trips, and then staying planted for awhile

this weekend my scooter did get called "cute," however. sight unseen st the time :roll:
DennisD

Post by DennisD »

cdwise wrote:Probably nowhere since my son gets his Eagle Scout this weekend and thunderstorms are predicted. If we do get out it will be on Sunday and weather dependent.
Congratulations! Once an Eagle, always an Eagle. My son had his board of review in November.
JHScoot

Post by JHScoot »

do the Eagle Scouts have cookies or anything? sell anything in particular? maybe Eagle Scout Trail Mix? would probably do well on QVC

just doesn't seem right.... :nerd:
jmkjr72

Post by jmkjr72 »

boy scouts sell pop corn and yes they did add some trail mixes to the pop corn now
http://www.trails-end.com/estore/scouts ... id=2472592
and yes the stuff is good

there will be no scooting for me this weekend as i will be scouting this weekend klondike derby (sled race and scout skills tests in the great wi cold and snow weather)

my son is a star has all his badges for eagle just needs to do his time leadership roles and project
and is the only eligable scout in our troop for oa this election but i have to leave the decsion up to an asm if we are going to have an election as i dont want it to seem like we are only doing it because the sm son is eligable
z 2008 zuma 50
olive 2008 setlla
1979 tomos
sosha

Post by sosha »

I love to take the scooter out on my hunt for a new home. I can really get a good drive by, and the realtors leave you alone when you pull up on a scooter.

Nice. :)
cdwise

Post by cdwise »

KABarash wrote:
cdwise wrote: my son gets his Eagle Scout this weekend
Congrats to you both!
Thanks, one down and one to go. This weekend I'm hoping to get out tomorrow. It will be on the nippy side with 30 in the am but 50 later but as long as the sun is out it should be fine.
cdwise

Post by cdwise »

DennisD wrote:
Congratulations! Once an Eagle, always an Eagle. My son had his board of review in November.
Good for your son and thanks.

My son rides our Buddy to school and had his first spill on rain wet roads yesterday. Fortunately, no serious harm to either him or lil buddy other than a few scratches on the front fender. May all falls be so damage free.
buddy boy

Post by buddy boy »

Just got back from a short ride this afternoon. The temperature is somewhere in the 40's. It was a little cool on the shins. Good for the psyche, though.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Hardly got to ride at all last weekend so I've been making up for it by taking the "long way" to work. I double my (short) commute time, but it's worth it for an early jaunt on some twisties.
TVB

Post by TVB »

I took advantage of partly-sunny weather and partly-clear roads to scoot out to the lake a few miles from my house.
It turned out there was an amateur hockey tournament taking place there, with several small hockey rinks zambonied out on the water.
It's kind of a long walk around the lake, and I didn't have a very warm hat, so I took a shortcut to the woods on the other side.
JHScoot

Post by JHScoot »

nowhere

a friend and I managed to break the oil filter screen bolt / cover thing trying to get the damned thing off my scooter to change the oil. now my scoot is 30 miles away from home just sitting there this fine weekend :(

i knew i would be doing this job because i have been out of town around 50 miles away from my dealer. too far to take the streets and have it done, really (100 mile round trip). and its just an oil change, right?

right!? :cry:

boo hoo. i hope to be up and running by Wednesday when NoHo says they will rip a bolt / cover off an old Super 8 for me, or some other scooter if need be

then i'll be scootin' once more. until then i do have a cage at my disposal, but ugh. i spent upwards of 120 miles driving yesterday hunting around for this part!

well ok, i had to come back into town, anyway. but had my scoot not been out of service that would have been a 50 mile round trip on my scoot, nice and scenic. instead, it was torture! :x
peabody99

Post by peabody99 »

we went on a group ride to a rally (Mods and Rockers). unfortunately our cool route got diverted by Border Patrol and we went off road for 5 miles through the canyons on a dirt road to find the rally. It led my husband and I to say we are not in Kansas, eerCleveland anymore.....

needless to say seeing these scooters trucking across 5 miles of dirt had the 4 wheelers and off road cycles chuckling at us. Still can't believe none of us dumped a bike.
BootScootin'FireFighter

almost sounds like a coyote run on scooters. Next time bring extra helmets, you could make a few bucks on the way home.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

peabody99 wrote:we went on a group ride to a rally (Mods and Rockers). unfortunately our cool route got diverted by Border Patrol and we went off road for 5 miles through the canyons on a dirt road to find the rally. It led my husband and I to say we are not in Kansas, eerCleveland anymore.....

needless to say seeing these scooters trucking across 5 miles of dirt had the 4 wheelers and off road cycles chuckling at us. Still can't believe none of us dumped a bike.
How was the rally otherwise?
I really wanted to go down for that this weekend but couldn't make it happen. Same goes with Motorsport party next weekend, but you should go if you can. Should be a good time!
JHScoot

Post by JHScoot »

five miles of off road scootin'

better then no scootin' at all :cry:

sounds like good times, actually
KABarash

Post by KABarash »

Although my drive still kinda half looks like this (see below) It was 40-45* yesterday, I was out and loving it!!!!
But however, it makes me crazy that people actually hollered out car windows at me to get the F off the road....... WAS I wearing my skivvies on the outside again!!!
Attachments
6-2-10.jpg
6-2-10.jpg (62.42 KiB) Viewed 2887 times
Nullius in verba
peabody99

Post by peabody99 »

ericalm wrote:
peabody99 wrote:we went on a group ride to a rally (Mods and Rockers). unfortunately our cool route got diverted by Border Patrol and we went off road for 5 miles through the canyons on a dirt road to find the rally. It led my husband and I to say we are not in Kansas, eerCleveland anymore.....

How was the rally otherwise?
I really wanted to go down for that this weekend but couldn't make it happen. Same goes with Motorsport party next weekend, but you should go if you can. Should be a good time!
The ride was fun. The Sunday meet up at the end of the rides was also cool, a lot of great cafe racers...not a ton of Mods aka scooters, but it was still a huge turnout. I guess I cannot comment on the whole rally though b/c I did not partake in the friday and saturday activities.

unfortunately there was a high speed head on motorcycle crash and fatality near by (on one of the roads all the rides were traveling on...not sure if the victims were involved in the rally-probably not as one was a sport bike and the other a Harley) .

I am definitely going to the motorsport grand reopening party. 8)
Stormswift

Post by Stormswift »

KABarash wrote:Although my drive still kinda half looks like this (see below) It was 40-45* yesterday, I was out and loving it!!!!
But however, it makes me crazy that people actually hollered out car windows at me to get the F off the road....... WAS I wearing my skivvies on the outside again!!!
You mean you did not get to ice skate in your driveway? As for cagers - they were just jealous you can stay upright on 2 wheels and they were slipping and sliding on 4.
I am not a scooter snob.
I am a scooter connoisseur
jmkjr72

Post by jmkjr72 »

well we got another 3 feet of snow in the last 24 hours and another foot on the way tonight
dam lake effect snows

so definatly no scooting any time soon but hey we might hit 30 this weekend when we get even more snow

on the up side i have burned all the old bad gas up running it thru the snow blower
z 2008 zuma 50
olive 2008 setlla
1979 tomos
laxer

Post by laxer »

Not a lot of snow right now, but the high tomorrow is 12*. Looks like I'll be taking the cage :(
peabody99

Post by peabody99 »

my heart is breaking for you guys. I rememember those tortuous saturdays where we rode the scooters around in the condo garage (Cleveland) when it was too icy to ride. It was never too cold...it was the freaking ice that got us. Now I am sitting here watching the local forcast -San Diego-and some areas (not mine actually :) ) might get frost. the horror! Hang in there spring might come early. It seemed to me during my 8 year tenure in the midwest that mild winters meant long winters, no spring and hot, wet summers. The worst winter was followed by the BEST summer and fall. So maybe this nonsense will clear out to an amazing year.
rajron

Post by rajron »

Never too cold!
Anything below 40°F degrees makes me question leaving on the scooter though in the mornings it gets into the 20’s, then the sun comes out and all is good, cloudy I wimp out, tomorrow will be a high of 14°F – no scooter for me.
Next ride on the scooter will not be for at least a week.
BootScootin'FireFighter

possible high of 55 tomorrow, should get a jump on melting most of the leftover snow away. I have no idea where to go, but I want to go SOMEWHERE before all the freezing rain comes back.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

rajron wrote:Never too cold!
Anything below 40°F degrees makes me question leaving on the scooter though in the mornings it gets into the 20’s, then the sun comes out and all is good, cloudy I wimp out, tomorrow will be a high of 14°F – no scooter for me.
Next ride on the scooter will not be for at least a week.
And my ABQ pals tell me there's plenty of snow on the ground, too.