Do you drive your scooter to work?

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Skootz Kabootz

Post by Skootz Kabootz »

Definitely it will be OK. More than OK when the checks start coming in! :+!: (My dream of a Bonneville will be more than just a dream before too long!)

After rereading my post, I should say, the only thing that I am iffy about is the rainy season here and riding in the rain during rush hour. Cagers are incompetent enough on sunny warm days. LA drivers in the rain, yeesh, pathetic. You'd think there were 2' of snow and ice on the ground. I think purchasing a bright yellow set of Frog Toggs will be happening soon.

The commute is not too bad. Has a nice stretch of WOT which is always fun. Took me 30 minutes on the nose today. That was good time. It will probably be more like 45 - 60 minutes during rush hours.

And you are absolutely right JHScoot, riding there and back I think will make it that much easier to leave all things work behind. Like a 2-wheeled buffer of fun :)

"It's only fun if you live to talk about it." | Adventurists Scooter Group |
LunaP

Post by LunaP »

@Skootz: +1 on the change, and good luck. I like the doc martens. May I suggest THIS. I also commute 15 miles one way, and also worried about rain- since I go to and fro between two residences, I had been carrying a duffel bag, but wanted to replace it with something waterproof. This thing is amazing. It holds a bunch, is very light, and waterproof to the point where it can stand quick submersions.

I hadnt gotten my jacket or lap apron in until just a couple days ago- and the days have been much warmer than nights- it has allowed me to wear plain clothes to work in the rain then change into my uniform, wear a bunch of stuff in the morning for warmth then stow some going home in the afternoon since it wasnt freezing, take an extra change of clothes AND shoes if I were going somewhere social after work PLUS carry my lunch, a folder with important papers, and a bag of toiletries in place of a purse. And I usually still have room in it.

It's also amazing for grocery shopping :D

Anyway, my point is that will solve the how to keep you stuff dry issue, and leave your options for attire wide open.[/url]
TVB

Post by TVB »

I definitely don't like riding in the rain compared to riding in the not-rain. But lately I've been finding myself putting up with "some" rain rather than take the car. Part of that's because the car needs exhaust work, and I'm trying to avoid dealing with that, but I'd really rather ride. So I see "70% chance of rain" in the forecast and think "Hey, there's a chance I won't get wet!"
LunaP

Post by LunaP »

TVB wrote:I definitely don't like riding in the rain compared to riding in the not-rain. But lately I've been finding myself putting up with "some" rain rather than take the car. Part of that's because the car needs exhaust work, and I'm trying to avoid dealing with that, but I'd really rather ride. So I see "70% chance of rain" in the forecast and think "Hey, there's a chance I won't get wet!"
Hahaha

Here, I learned way back when I worked at the car wash (which would shut down due to rain) that it never actually rains unless the forecast is for 40% or greater- so if it isn't, I totally ignore it.
TangerineDream

Post by TangerineDream »

I ride to work every day in Spokane, WA, unless I have to carry something too big for me to handle on the scoot. My rule of thumb is that if I can manage to keep it upright, I will ride. No snow (though I am eyeing some winter siped tires) and no ice. Cold is fine (was 23 this morning). Rain is fine. Besides, slick rain-soaked streets allow some pretty exciting J slides into parking lots. Love playing with that rear brake! Former MX experience keeps me from worrying too much about road conditions. LOVE MY SCOOTER!! Oh, and I have a Ninja 650 that gets very little saddle time.
awatkins

ride to work

Post by awatkins »

I ride to work everyday except when raining, snowing or below 35 degrees
shuyaku

Post by shuyaku »

I pretty much ride to work everyday as we are what peabody coined "car light". I got rid of my car back in May of this year, but my wife still has her car (well technically 'our' car now.) Occassionally I will have something scheduled (work related) where it is better to take the car but that is pretty rare.

I'm also LA based so weather isn't too much of an issue and my commute is only about 6 miles. I'm not a huge fan of riding in the rain - as Skootz mentioned, a lot of LA cagers are at best mediocre in the best of weather, add some rain and all bets are off. However, I do have several different routes I can take that significantly reduce any chance of interaction with cages - it just takes a tad bit longer to get to work. So I don't really think rain should be an excuse not to ride for me. There is a long curve on my normal route - I totally avoid this when it's raining - I try to stick to straight lines to minimize the chance of the scoot flying out from under me :)
scootavaran

Post by scootavaran »

My scooter is my workhorse. I use it for everything rain or shine. If you see me somewhere that means my SH is there too.

My cousins and friends who all ride CBRs on the weekends usually referred to me and my bike as a cowboy and his horse. 8)
Skootz Kabootz

Post by Skootz Kabootz »

OK, I am prepared for the scooter commuting life! New tires installed today (I'm a Heidenau man now). And I just ordered my I'm-a-5-day-a-week-rain-or-shine-scooter-commuter-no-matter-what-so-bring-on-the-rain rain gear.

Frogg Toggs Road Toad rain suit (great deal-see my other post)
TourMaster deluxe boot rain covers
FirstGear rubber rain gloves (I'm probably most excited about these. I remember how totally soaked through my gloves got last time I was caught riding in the rain.)

So I'm ready! Bring on the MFin' rain! :lol:

siobhan

Post by siobhan »

Skootz Kabootz wrote:OK, I am prepared for the scooter commuting life! New tires installed today (I'm a Heidenau man now). And I just ordered my I'm-a-5-day-a-week-rain-or-shine-scooter-commuter-no-matter-what-so-bring-on-the-rain rain gear.

FirstGear rubber rain gloves (I'm probably most excited about these. I remember how totally soaked through my gloves got last time I was caught riding in the rain.)

skootz, I know you probably know this, but be very, very careful on the streets when it rains. I lived in So. Cali and I'll never forget that I almost fell in a Ralphs parking lot as I was cutting across from the bus to my apartment (I know, I took the bus in Santa Ana!) because it was so slippery.

If your boots get wet, put newspaper in them to speed up the drying process. I have Gore-Tex boots so I don't wear covers. I'm curious how they work for you as I'd think they'd be slippery when you put your foot down at lights. Or maybe it's just my insane fear of how slippery the roadways get out there. We have rain all the time so the oil is washed off much more often.

Riding in the rain is my absolute favorite. I hope you enjoy it. Have fun sliding the rear wheel a bit and for freaking out other drivers.
Stormswift

Post by Stormswift »

I came home from work 1/2 an hour ago. It is in the 50's , dropping quickly. Hands got chilled a bit. Leather Jacket is fine, so are the ski pants for this kind of commute. The reason today was different is that I stayed at work later then usual and ended up riding home in the dark for the first time. I was a bit worried, this being Friday night and all, but the ride was OK, hardly any cars on the road. Must be the chill int he air.
I am not a scooter snob.
I am a scooter connoisseur
Skootz Kabootz

Post by Skootz Kabootz »

siobhan wrote:
Skootz Kabootz wrote:OK, I am prepared for the scooter commuting life! New tires installed today (I'm a Heidenau man now). And I just ordered my I'm-a-5-day-a-week-rain-or-shine-scooter-commuter-no-matter-what-so-bring-on-the-rain rain gear.

skootz, I know you probably know this, but be very, very careful on the streets when it rains. I lived in So. Cali and I'll never forget that I almost fell in a Ralphs parking lot as I was cutting across from the bus to my apartment (I know, I took the bus in Santa Ana!) because it was so slippery.

If your boots get wet, put newspaper in them to speed up the drying process. I have Gore-Tex boots so I don't wear covers. I'm curious how they work for you as I'd think they'd be slippery when you put your foot down at lights. Or maybe it's just my insane fear of how slippery the roadways get out there. We have rain all the time so the oil is washed off much more often.

Riding in the rain is my absolute favorite. I hope you enjoy it. Have fun sliding the rear wheel a bit and for freaking out other drivers.
Thanks Siobhan! I will certainly be keeping my wits about me. I have done some riding in the rain here but happily have avoided most of it. The good thing about a rainy season here is that the roads do get fairly well washed off for those couple of months. I avoid riding in the center of the lane where oil etc accumulates (thank you MSF course), and never go any faster than I am comfortable. I am not particularly jazzed about having to be in rush hour traffic no matter what (I am scooter only), mostly because other drivers suck. But what are ya gonna do? It's gotta be done. I have a good route, and avoid major arteries where possible.

Thanks for the boot drying tip. I believe the rain boot covers don't actually cover the bottom of the boots. I think they just kind of cinch in on the sides leaving the soul exposed to contact the pavement. I am curious to see how they perform. Will let you know. I just remember my gloves and feet getting soaked last ride in the rain. Hopefully I've got that covered (no pun intended :) )

MYSCTR

Post by MYSCTR »

Great day to ride in Dallas!

Cold, right at 32 degrees yet the sum came out strong and warmed up to mid 60's. Had a few projects to stop by, a few other stops, put me in right at 150 miles today and as I rolled into the driveway hit 13,000.0 miles!

8)
Skootz Kabootz

Post by Skootz Kabootz »

siobhan wrote:I'm curious how they [boot rain covers] work for you as I'd think they'd be slippery when you put your foot down at lights. Or maybe it's just my insane fear of how slippery the roadways get out there. We have rain all the time so the oil is washed off much more often.
First shipment arrived today with the TourMaster Boot Rain Covers and the FirstGear Rubber Rain Gloves.

The boot covers are pretty dang cool. They are kinda similar in concept to snow gaiters. The covers unzip on the side, you slide your boot in, the toe area of the cover is elasticized and wraps entirely around the toe part of the boot top and bottom. The heel part of the boot however is open with an elastic strap that hooks underneath the boot heel to hold the cover in place. This allows the actual heel of the boot to contact the pavement for better traction. Up the calf the cover cinches to avoid leakage and stay in place (though it will be under my rain pants so I don't see how leakage could be a problem.

The rubber rain gloves are great but pretty comical. I feel like I could work on a hazmat team with them on. Very heavy duty. I can tell they will do their job well. If you order these get two sizes larger than your glove size. I wear a large glove and ordered the XL rain glove. It is OK but a little larger would be ideal. I think these would also be excellent for blocking wind and keeping hands warm on colder rides.

Frogg Togg Road Toads arrive tomorrow. Rain is forecast for Friday so that will be the first test.

MYSCTR

Post by MYSCTR »

Skootz Kabootz wrote:The rubber rain gloves are great but pretty comical. I feel like I could work on a hazmat team with them on. Very heavy duty. I can tell they will do their job well. If you order these get two sizes larger than your glove size. I wear a large glove and ordered the XL rain glove. It is OK but a little larger would be ideal. I think these would also be excellent for blocking wind and keeping hands warm on colder rides.
Can you post a pic once you test these - if they work well on colder days, my wife will be glad to have them too!
Skootz Kabootz

Post by Skootz Kabootz »

MYSCTR: Here is a link to the gloves. The photo there is very accurate. They basically look like black rubber dishwashing gloves, only much thicker. There is also some texture on the palms to better grab the grips.

Skootz Kabootz

Post by Skootz Kabootz »

My Frogg Toggs arrived today and I have to say they are sooooooo much better than I was expecting! Nowhere near as flimsy as I imagined they would be. Really pretty substantial for an urban rain suit. If they were any thicker they could become cumbersome. That said, if I was doing adventure riding or lived in Seattle or some where very, very rainy I might want to invest in a more heavy duty suit.

The fit is spot on. If I had not read threads where people talk about the fit being large I would never know there was an issue. These fit me perfectly. I am 6'1", 200lbs (of rock solid muscle... :roll: ) and generally wear a L or XL. The Frogg Toggs fit over my leather riding jacket like they are made to measure. But I would not want the jacket any smaller. The pants are absolutely perfect. I put them over jeans today and they were great. They fit over my lined armored riding pant perfectly too. The only thing that perhaps might prove an issue (I won't know until I've worn them in the rain) are the pass through front pockets. They are great because you can access your pants underneath, but I wonder if moisture could get in there. For now I will assume not becuse after all, this is a rain suit made by a company that only makes rain suits and one would assume they have thought of this.

The attached hood is great and has two different adjustable pulls to snug it nicely around the face. What I love is that it is attached at the back so you can put it under your helmet and no moisture will drip down your neck.

I got the orange color and it is pretty cool. Not too neon or highway construction ugly.

Rain is scheduled for Friday so that will be the first live test. If they do their job I will likely order a second set because at $35, this really can't be beat.

deathbytray

Post by deathbytray »

I live in Seattle and used to work in Bellevue. I had to commute over 520 bridge's bottleneck traffic everyday in a cage for 2 years. I found a new job in Seattle 3 months back, and have only driven my car occasionally on the weekend since then.

I plan to ride to work everyday, rain or shine (well, mostly rain), throughout the year. Only when it actually snows will I not ride and drive my car instead. In Seattle, this shouldn't be too common of an occurrence. Maybe one week or so the whole winter.
mooore17

Post by mooore17 »

By just trying to dip myself in more serious and interesting personal activities.
Youngster Games
Syd

Post by Syd »

I filled my truck up last weekend. As I recorded the info I noticed that I hadn't filled the truck up in three months. Yeah, I ride to work.
The majority is always sane - Nessus
Skootz Kabootz

Post by Skootz Kabootz »

Had my first ride in a strong rain with the new gear today. A 45 minute commute including 4-5 miles at 55mph. I arrived at work bone dry. All in all I am very impressed. I just have to remember allow some extra time to gear up! Talk about dressing in layers. The only issue (if you can call it that) I had was I was hot. Visor kept fogging up. Easily resolved. I definitely I give all the new gear two thumbs up.

DaBinChe

Post by DaBinChe »

yup, put at least 8k miles a year on scoots...never kept one long enough to have one go out. I think the longest one I kept had over 11k miles, 10k of which I put on in about a year.
JohnnyScoots

Post by JohnnyScoots »

When I lived in San Diego I did every day. In Nashville in the rain/winter not so much. I will more and more as I stock up my winter gear.
Southerner

Post by Southerner »

I start my new job Monday. My route will be about 25 miles mostly down 2-lane paved county roads, with no red lights and few stops until I get into town. Will use my car most of the time to begin with, since it will get about 30 mpg, especially in 45 to 55 limits. But then again, it's got over 100 k on it now and I'd rather keep the wear & tear down. I have a perfectly good motorcycle for the purpose but it's over 20 years old. Still, I'd rather wear out my $3500 used MC than have to buy a new(er) car right now.

This will actually be a fairly pleasant route for the most part. Some of it is pretty isolated. Pavement is mostly decent.

Normally, I wouldn't blink at taking a scooter (if I had one) on a 25 mile trip but every day? I'd hate to think my morning commute would become a chore.
peabody99

Post by peabody99 »

2 days of pouring rain resulted in 2 sulking people carpooling plus a long bus commute for spouse. Today is lovely again and we each texted one another the same thing "so great to be back on the scooter!" At the same time. So yes we do ride to work ...so much that 2 days off puts us in a funk. :lol:
westniner

Post by westniner »

2 days of getting wet riding in the pouring rain.

Its good to scoot. :wink:
Skootz Kabootz

Post by Skootz Kabootz »

Arrived at work today to see another scooter there parked in my usual spot! (a Black Lance Cali Classic). Great to see you, but find your own spot! :P That brings the total to 5-6 MC's and 2 scooters in our parking structure. A nice crowd.

ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Skootz Kabootz wrote:Arrived at work today to see another scooter there parked in my usual spot! (a Black Lance Cali Classic). Great to see you, but find your own spot! :P That brings the total to 5-6 MC's and 2 scooters in our parking structure. A nice crowd.
A couple months ago, someone here got a Honda Met, putting us over the available space for 2-wheelers in the space under the outdoor stairwell that was once all mine (MY PRECIOUSSSSSSS). There are a couple large MCs which are ridden buy guys with their own spots. The rest of us now compete for under the stairs. If there's no room, someone winds up parking in front of the emergency shut off for the building's gas. :shock:

There's also one guy on a Hyosung sport bike who parks in front of the mailboxes, totally blocking them. Jerk.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
Southerner

Post by Southerner »

People are usually pretty tolerant of MCs and scooters parking. Around here, there is very little designated MC parking except maybe at the university. It's common to see MCs parked in the hatched areas in parking lots, which is technically not legal but nobody seems to complain.

New building sites are required by zoning regs to have a certain amount of parking usually based on the retail floor space, number of expected customers, etc, but I have read no regs in this area that account for anything but car spots.

I even talked with a local city planner about encouraging developers and designers to use the "waste" space in certain parking lots specifically for 2-wheeled transport but it came to nothing. I guess our small numbers are too insignificant to count. To me, it seems a waste to take up a whole car spot but that's what I usually have to do.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Southerner wrote:People are usually pretty tolerant of MCs and scooters parking.
This is from a Modern Vespa member in SF:
http://modernvespa.com/forum/topic92072

Sad. All it takes is one complete idiot to ruin your day!

Parking is at a premium at my workplace, a college, because we've upped our enrollment and most students live on campus or in nearby campus housing. Even cars are being forced out to remote lots. No dedicated MC parking here. Parking in other lots here would be dangerous for a scooter! There's an underground garage; leave your keys with attendant, they will move your car just for kicks.

Fortunately, I can lift the back end of my Vespa to squeeze it into tight spaces. The Stella? Not so much!
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
TVB

Post by TVB »

ericalm wrote:This is from a Modern Vespa member in SF:
Pot.
Kettle.
Black.
Southerner

Post by Southerner »

ericalm wrote:
Southerner wrote:People are usually pretty tolerant of MCs and scooters parking.
This is from a Modern Vespa member in SF:
http://modernvespa.com/forum/topic92072

Sad. All it takes is one complete idiot to ruin your day!

Parking is at a premium at my workplace, a college, because we've upped our enrollment and most students live on campus or in nearby campus housing. Even cars are being forced out to remote lots. No dedicated MC parking here. Parking in other lots here would be dangerous for a scooter! There's an underground garage; leave your keys with attendant, they will move your car just for kicks.

Fortunately, I can lift the back end of my Vespa to squeeze it into tight spaces. The Stella? Not so much!
I don't know who this *$$hole was but I don't think there's any jurisdiction in America twhere it is NOT legal to park a motorcycle or scooter in a car space. In fact, in view of what I was saying above about not having dedicated scooter or MC spaces, I don't know where else we can legally park.

I didn't read the MV thread, but if it had been me, I would have called the cops and made a report. That way, if anything DID happen to my scooter, I would at least have that on record for insurance purposes.

If there were no spaces left, that was HIS problem, not anybody else's.

There will always be jerks in the world, unfortunately. Especially the cowardly kind who leave anonymous notes.

I have to wonder what it means that he/she was able to type this cute little missive.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

TVB wrote:
ericalm wrote:This is from a Modern Vespa member in SF:
Pot.
Kettle.
Black.
Oh, to clarify—the member who posted it came out to find this on their scooter. They did not place this on another scooter.
Southerner

Post by Southerner »

I had assumed that it was a disgruntled car driver.

Really, if I were taking up a car space, I wouldn't object to another MC or scooter sharing so long as I weren't blocked in.

And what was that about the pictures? Who gives a crap?
TVB

Post by TVB »

ericalm wrote:
TVB wrote:Pot.
Kettle.
Black.
Oh, to clarify—the member who posted it came out to find this on their scooter. They did not place this on another scooter.
I know; I was just commenting that the asshole who left the note was guilty of every personality defect that they accused the scooterist of.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

TVB wrote:
ericalm wrote:
TVB wrote:Pot.
Kettle.
Black.
I know; I was just commenting that the asshole who left the note was guilty of every personality defect that they accused the scooterist of.
That, yes!
LunaP

Post by LunaP »

People.

They make me do this

:rofl: :rofl:
Oparu

Post by Oparu »

My commute to school is 12 miles each way. I got my Buddy 125 at the beginning of October this year and have been riding it whenever rain was not in the forecast. I rode it in the rain a couple of times and it really was not fun. So far, I have over 700 miles logged. My friends are amazed at my 70+ mpg because they all own cars. :) It hasn't really snowed yet in Boston so I've been lucky. Hope the snow stays away just a little longer.
rkcoker

Commute to work

Post by rkcoker »

I would but my job is 32 miles away, so I'm only considering the scooter as an emergency. I've ridden over 26 miles (Mesquite to Allen), there was no time constraint however, not like going to work.
Southern singular is y'all
Southern plural is "all y'all"
adorkable8605

Post by adorkable8605 »

I've had my Buddy 150 for almost 6 months and I've put a ton of miles on it.

I'm scooter only, so I scoot to work and school. 40 miles one way to work which I do 3 days a week, when school's in session, and less than 5 miles to school 5 days a week.

There are quite a lot of motorcycles and scooters at my job, some of them doing the same or longer commutes.

Maybe I'm crazy doing 40 miles to work on a scooter, but I love it and couldn't see myself doing it any other way...
DanielPerrin

Post by DanielPerrin »

I ride to work whenever there is no rain or snow. I rode motorcycles for years in the cold, so I've learned to dress for that. It was 18 degrees one morning and I had no trouble. The scooter has no heat, A/C or radio, but it's definitely more fun than the car. I got the scooter at the beginning of November, and I've already ridden half as much as the original owner did in the whole time that they had it. I'm looking forward to next November to see how far I rode it in a year, and how much further I rode it than the car.
skully93

Post by skully93 »

I ride every chance I get. I have ridden in Denver at 12 degrees before. I'd rather not, but I have a short commute of @ 20 min, so by the time I'm really cold I'm there!

the bad part is that we do sometimes gets ice that won't melt for 2 weeks; even if it's 60 degrees. The sun just doesn't hit them on some days.
Lostmycage
FAQ Moderator

Post by Lostmycage »

LunaP wrote:People.

They make me do this

:rofl: :rofl:
People.

They make me do this:

:fp: :fp:
Check out :arrow: Scoot Richmond's new site: My awesome local shop.
Stormswift

Post by Stormswift »

I would have called the cops. Likely this is just a verbally aggressive a-hole who got of while typing this craziness, but just in case this psycho is off his/her meds you may want this on the record since there was a threat made.
I am not a scooter snob.
I am a scooter connoisseur
pugbuddy

Post by pugbuddy »

I definitely don't like riding in the rain compared to riding in the not-rain. But lately I've been finding myself putting up with "some" rain rather than take the car. Part of that's because the car needs exhaust work, and I'm trying to avoid dealing with that, but I'd really rather ride. So I see "70% chance of rain" in the forecast and think "Hey, there's a chance I won't get wet!"
Here in OK, I ride if it is 30% chance of rain or less. 40% chance usually means you'll get rained on and I ride home from work in the dark on State Highway 75 (not lit) every night. So the fewer surprises, the better.
Robert Wayne Henderson (May 16, 1932 - July 28, 2009).
KABarash

Post by KABarash »

Honestly, I haven't been lately :(
Reason; My battery is getting elderly and I can't trust it whet I come out of work at 11pm and the temps may be in the 20's (or colder)......(or warmer)......... :roll:
Aging is mandatory, growing up is optional.
My kids call me 'crazy', I prefer 'Eccentric'.
Nullius in verba
LunaP

Post by LunaP »

pugbuddy wrote:
Here in OK, I ride if it is 30% chance of rain or less. 40% chance usually means you'll get rained on and I ride home from work in the dark on State Highway 75 (not lit) every night. So the fewer surprises, the better.
40% is my threshold mark as well. I mean, I ride in the rain... but I learned long ago while working at a car wash that if the Weather Channel says 40% or more... expect it. 30% or less and it's safe. :D
david12df

Post by david12df »

I Drive my scoot to get gas,sometimes it takes all day to find gas.
TVB

Re: Do you drive your scooter to work?

Post by TVB »

david12df wrote:I Drive my scoot to get gas,sometimes it takes all day to find gas.
:)
Chilly

Post by Chilly »

5 days a week, 18 miles each way on well traveled road(US1). Been doing this almost a full year with little trouble(couple flats and a ton of obnoxious/stupid drivers). Otherwise loving it. Just broke 10k miles, spent the weekend doing a massive tune-up which surprisingly has been nearly as much fun as commuting(no sarcasm here!). Loving it, though tommorows 40 degrees will be a bit of a test I think. Have to go search for more sweaters.
2 > 4