Legshields and cold weather protection in general

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Southerner

Legshields and cold weather protection in general

Post by Southerner »

I asked this same question on a maxi sight. Would like the input of scooteristi here as well.

What scooters have the best legshields, as in best at keeping cold rushing air off the legs? And if these aren't especially effective, are legshield extensions available for Buddy's, Vespas, etc.?

My bike is fully faired but I still have a considerable width to straddle and the fairing lowers only keep the air off mid-shin inward.

And are there any windscreens that extend decent protection to the knuckles as well?

Seems appropos considering the time of year.
Crazy88s

Post by Crazy88s »

I like the buddy. that seems to work good for me. but I am almost always cold.
Lokky

Post by Lokky »

Scooters have a great item in the Tucano Urbano Termoscud, here it is on my Stella

This cover is completely waterproof, fur lined for warmth, has storage pouches, little inflatable airbags that prevent it from flapping and the best thing is that it's fixed to the bike, keeping your seat dry for you, read for you to snuggle under it and ride all winter long, plus if you get an occasional nice weather day it rolls up while mounted to the scooter so it's out of the way!

I fitted one to Luna's buddy as well, they don't make them specifically for the buddy as it is not sold in Italy, but I worked out which model was going to be best for it, if you are interested I can dig it up for you.

There are tall windshields for vespas that also extend around the hands, they don't completely wind off but they help, and give great protection from rain when moving, here is a picture of one on my bike during the Indian summer rally.

Also in the warm hands department, Tucano Urbano sells some very nice muffs, as pictured.

They are warm and waterproof albeith a bit goofy looking, but warmth is really what matters when winter hits :D
Southerner

Post by Southerner »

That's great. But I disagree about the muffs. They look much better than the old Hippo Hands, which looked like oven mitts.

I tend to be less style-conscious the colder it gets.
AWinn6889

Post by AWinn6889 »

My legs get pretty cold on the Buddy, BUT I don't use a lap cover, or ski pants or anything, just denim jeans, even when it's 25* outside on my ride in to work. I am more used to riding a motorcycle though, so I'm sure in relation to most of the folks on here, I sit with my legs much farther apart and my knees probably stick out past the faring, but I'm not completely sure, I haven't seen anyone else on a Buddy yet!
No power in the 'verse can stop me.
Syd

Post by Syd »

What happens if you are using the Termoscud and you have an exhaust leak? Will your legs fall asleep on long rides?

:wink:
The majority is always sane - Nessus
Lokky

Post by Lokky »

AWinn6889 wrote:My legs get pretty cold on the Buddy, BUT I don't use a lap cover, or ski pants or anything, just denim jeans, even when it's 25* outside on my ride in to work. I am more used to riding a motorcycle though, so I'm sure in relation to most of the folks on here, I sit with my legs much farther apart and my knees probably stick out past the faring, but I'm not completely sure, I haven't seen anyone else on a Buddy yet!
I usually keep my legs together when I ride alone, sitting kind of far back on the buddy seat (so used to the big roomy stella seat).
When I have to take Luna places tho I have to sit forward and my knees definitely stick out, too many hard plastic corners on the driver's side of the legshield to keep my legs pressed against them :p
Lokky

Post by Lokky »

Syd wrote:What happens if you are using the Termoscud and you have an exhaust leak? Will your legs fall asleep on long rides?

:wink:
;)

I do know the termoscuds designed for bigger scoots with radiators like the GTS incorporate a design that redirects the warmth of the radiator under the cover to keep you even warmer when needed :D
AWinn6889

Post by AWinn6889 »

Lokky wrote:
AWinn6889 wrote:My legs get pretty cold on the Buddy, BUT I don't use a lap cover, or ski pants or anything, just denim jeans, even when it's 25* outside on my ride in to work. I am more used to riding a motorcycle though, so I'm sure in relation to most of the folks on here, I sit with my legs much farther apart and my knees probably stick out past the faring, but I'm not completely sure, I haven't seen anyone else on a Buddy yet!
I usually keep my legs together when I ride alone, sitting kind of far back on the buddy seat (so used to the big roomy stella seat).
When I have to take Luna places tho I have to sit forward and my knees definitely stick out, too many hard plastic corners on the driver's side of the legshield to keep my legs pressed against them :p
Forgot to add a little tidbit, you just reminded me, Lokky.
I am also very short, so I sit fairly far up on the Buddy seat when I am in stop and go traffic, so that also forces my knees out. Just because I have to sit forward to flat foot with both feet.. which I tend to do in town near my job, because people are absolutely insane around here. Otherwise I left-foot it.
On longer trips where I don't need to stop frequently for signs, lights, cows, etc, I sit farther back... but I put my feet back on the "passenger footrests," which also forces my legs out. But that's just more "used to a motorcycle" kind of riding style too, I suppose.
No power in the 'verse can stop me.
Tazio

Post by Tazio »

I've noticed that in the same temperature/wind situations that my Vespa 250 GTS is much warmer than my Buddy due to the larger/wider front faring.
viney266

Post by viney266 »

A friend has one of those lap blankets for his harley dresser. I tried it out a few years back and was really impressed with how well it worked. Didn't realize the made "em for scoots. I gotta check that out... Thanks!
Speed is only a matter of money...How fast do you want to go?
ericalm
Site Admin

Re: Legshields and cold weather protection in general

Post by ericalm »

Southerner wrote:What scooters have the best legshields, as in best at keeping cold rushing air off the legs?
A Maicomobil.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
Syd

Post by Syd »

^^ Art deco locomotive. That's the first thing I think of whenever I see a pic of that scoot.
The majority is always sane - Nessus
izark47

Post by izark47 »

ericalm wrote:
Southerner wrote:What scooters have the best legshields, as in best at keeping cold rushing air off the legs?
A Maicomobil.
Now that is a leg shield, lol
Born to be Mild!!!
Skootz Kabootz

Post by Skootz Kabootz »

ericalm wrote:
A Maicomobil.
OMG I love that scooter!

"It's only fun if you live to talk about it." | Adventurists Scooter Group |
Southerner

Post by Southerner »

That's a really good picture.

Call it a proto-maxi?

Nobody would attempt a design that extreme nowadays. People couldn't get over the "funkiness" no matter how well it works.

That is so cool.
k1dude

Post by k1dude »

ericalm wrote:
A Maicomobil.
I could be wrong, but I think that's a sex toy.
LunaP

Post by LunaP »

k1dude wrote:
ericalm wrote:
A Maicomobil.
I could be wrong, but I think that's a sex toy.
:rofl:

(and I secretly kind of thought that about the new Stella/Star sidecars over in the other thread but didn't say anything...)
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

k1dude wrote:I could be wrong, but I think that's a sex toy.
All scooters are.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
JHScoot

Post by JHScoot »

if you don't mind you could layer. long underwear, two pair of socks, warm shoes / boots.

i live in SoCal but overnight can get cold in some parts so i am better prepared this second "winter" of riding for me. i have been riding for just barely a year or so all time considered so am still getting the cold weather gear thing going, myself

i think the fact i ride with a FF helmet will help this season, too

and i think some may have already mentioned heated riding gear and what not? gloves, etc. i got some glove liners, myself. should do the trick :)
Riding is riding
LunaP

Post by LunaP »

ericalm wrote:
All scooters are.
+1, and touche sir.
JHScoot

Post by JHScoot »

:roll:
Riding is riding
Southerner

Post by Southerner »

ericalm wrote:
All scooters are.
Must be a Left Coast thing. Here in the Southeast, the reaction is usually surprise that you thought she might climb aboard something without an air conditioner, roof and radio. There do seem to be a substantial number of women on cruiser bikes hereabouts (fashionable) and on the few scooters, maybe 1 out of 3 but not many otherwise.

Unless you meant solo?

Oops!

I'll be quiet now. :oops:
UnionZac

Post by UnionZac »

Lokky wrote: I fitted one to Luna's buddy as well, they don't make them specifically for the buddy as it is not sold in Italy, but I worked out which model was going to be best for it, if you are interested I can dig it up for you.
So which model is the best fit for the Buddy?
LunaP

Post by LunaP »

Tucano Urbano R-151. I actually have the R-152 fitted/jury-rigged to my buddy; they are the same size, the only difference between the two is that the R-152 is made to have the two straps that go across the front of the legshield are actually made to screw into the bolt of the Vespa's DOT signals to be held into place. On the R-151, it's a simple wraparound velcro that should more properly fit the buddy.

Photos of the Tucano R-152 on my 170:
IMG_1352 by Luna-P

IMG_1348 by Luna-P
(here you can better see what I mean by 'jury rigged'- those little straps have a cord cinching them together and securing them underneath my front cover, because my deadlights are in the wrong place to hold them properly and do not have such a bolt for them)

Here's a link to the R151 on eBay... it's not the only place you can find it, I'm sure... but it also has a pretty decent photo of the front strap:
Tucano R151
Southerner

Post by Southerner »

And properly outfitted with a milk crate as well. :wink:
LunaP

Post by LunaP »

Southerner wrote:And properly outfitted with a milk crate as well. :wink:
Hehe yeah... there's a pretty intricate weaving of 3 or 4 different bungees holding up my crate :shock: so hopefully it's never going anywhere! I have always regretted taking the free cream-colored one my mum gave me, I think aesthetically a black one would have looked much better... but I can't convince myself it's worth $8 and the PITA/effort it would be to undo and redo the bungees and switch them!! :P So the cream one is staying for now haha

As a side note, Lokky pointed out the other day that our Tucano covers have pockets above the lap area... we plan on finding old-fashioned rubber hot water bottles and shoving them in there for extra warmth!! :wink: