Rear Rack Question

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

jeff from pa

Rear Rack Question

Post by jeff from pa »

I have read many posts about the weight limit of the rear rack, but have yet to figure out how to strap my scooter without using it. I put my scooter on a Versa Hauler about 3-5 times per week. That is actually how the dealer showed me to do it when I picked it up. Also, how else do you lift the back end?
synaps3

Post by synaps3 »

I tie down using the handlebars and tie down the rear wheel to the channel when it is going on my hauler. The rear suspension is unsprung, but the front suspension is tensioned and the back wheel is secure enough that it won't go anywhere.
Currently own: 2011 Honda PCX 125
Previously owned:2007 Buddy 125, 1988 Honda Spree, 2003 Honda Silverwing, 2000 KTM 125SX, 1998 Honda PC800, 2x 2008 Buddy 125, 2001 Honda Reflex, 1987 Honda Elite, 5 other bikes (hit text limit for sig)
bluebuddygirl

Post by bluebuddygirl »

Honestly I think the weight limit on the rear rack has more to do with the position of the weight being behind the rear wheel than with the capacity of the rack itself. That, and when you put too much weight on, it cracks the plastic housing around the tail section. I know that because I do tend to overload my rear rack. It did snap, but only after several years, but the tail piece is pushing apart a little. Picking it up by the rack should be fine.
etak

Re: Rear Rack Question

Post by etak »

jeff from pa wrote:I put my scooter on a Versa Hauler about 3-5 times per week.
I'm curious - why?
Like a bird on the wire,
like a drunk in a midnight choir
I have tried in my way to be free.
-Leonard Cohen

Berner

Post by Berner »

When I hauled my Blackjack this summer, I found that there are frame tubes underneath the rear of the seat to which I could directly attach the strap hooks. Since I was directly connected to the frame, it was very secure and very stable. However, if you have small strap hooks you might trouble getting them on the tube (its a bit thick).
dshanson

Post by dshanson »

i think in the users manual it says 10 kilos....which is like, what, 18 pounds?
WOT = Way Off Topic
synaps3

Post by synaps3 »

etak wrote:
I'm curious - why?
I did this for a summer, I commuted with someone who left at a different time than I. We'd ratchet my scooter on, commute in together, detach, then leave at different times at the end of the day.
Currently own: 2011 Honda PCX 125
Previously owned:2007 Buddy 125, 1988 Honda Spree, 2003 Honda Silverwing, 2000 KTM 125SX, 1998 Honda PC800, 2x 2008 Buddy 125, 2001 Honda Reflex, 1987 Honda Elite, 5 other bikes (hit text limit for sig)
Cheshire

Post by Cheshire »

If you look or feel under the rear panels, you'll locate the frame. When I had to lift the scooter by the back, I made sure I was lifting by the frame with care to not put too much pressure on the plastics. Once in a while, I'd slide the scooter around in the garage by the rack, but it always made me a bit nervous. It could be fine, but I never felt comfortable testing it.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

In a truck bed using a wheel chock you can probably get away with just securing the rear via the tire. With the front compressed, if the rear is prevented from moving laterally, you should be fine. Probably a totally different dynamic on the tilt-a-rack, though.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
KABarash

Post by KABarash »

dshanson wrote:i think in the users manual it says 10 kilos....which is like, what, 18 pounds?
2.2 lbs/kilo
10kilo = 22lbs
Aging is mandatory, growing up is optional.
My kids call me 'crazy', I prefer 'Eccentric'.
Nullius in verba
jeff from pa

Post by jeff from pa »

etak wrote:
I'm curious - why?
I meet my wife and kids after I am done work at her parents , the pool, the store...and we drive home together.