Evolve electric scooters.

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Southerner

Evolve electric scooters.

Post by Southerner »

http://www.gizmag.com/evolve-launches-t ... dium=email

I know the Vectrix tanked, but somebody's gotta succeed some day. After all, Nissan would't bother selling the Leaf if they didn't think anybody would buy it.

Incidentally, in this same issueof Gizmag, Nissan is working on a 10-minute charger for cars that won't degrade the battery.

I would totally love electric vehicles if they ever solve the battery issues.
synaps3

Post by synaps3 »

Cool, but yeah, the battery life kills it... Two hour charge...

At least these things are available and near-affordable now. It's a step in the right direction. :)
Currently own: 2011 Honda PCX 125
Previously owned:2007 Buddy 125, 1988 Honda Spree, 2003 Honda Silverwing, 2000 KTM 125SX, 1998 Honda PC800, 2x 2008 Buddy 125, 2001 Honda Reflex, 1987 Honda Elite, 5 other bikes (hit text limit for sig)
viney266

Post by viney266 »

I think Nissan sells them because of Govt. requirements :(
Speed is only a matter of money...How fast do you want to go?
heatherkay

Post by heatherkay »

Getting a little off-topic, but I think this is the model to watch for fully electric cars (and, I assume, motorcycles).

http://www.betterplace.com/

Basically, you don't own the battery, you just pay an initial enrollment cost. When the battery is getting low, you pull into a "filling station." They switch out your dying battery with a fully charged battery. You pay for the service. You pull out and continue driving. They put the battery on the charger for the next customer.

So far, this company has started pilot projects in several locations.
synaps3

Post by synaps3 »

I've seen this before, it seemed like the best concept to me as well. It fits the closest with our current transportation model.
Currently own: 2011 Honda PCX 125
Previously owned:2007 Buddy 125, 1988 Honda Spree, 2003 Honda Silverwing, 2000 KTM 125SX, 1998 Honda PC800, 2x 2008 Buddy 125, 2001 Honda Reflex, 1987 Honda Elite, 5 other bikes (hit text limit for sig)
Southerner

Post by Southerner »

I think it will work out OK until somebody comes up with quick chargers. Nobody's gonna want to swap batteries if they can just plug in, assuming the "fill-up" time is reasonable.
heatherkay

Post by heatherkay »

I don't think you will ever get a charge-up time that is less than replacing a battery -- keeping in mind that it is a battery designed to be switched out and not like your current car or moto battery.
eddyhartley

Post by eddyhartley »

It would be really fun to be a moving band along with some moving audience, i actually liked the concept, but it would be more awesome in a parade.
eddyhartley

Post by eddyhartley »

While it’s a good concept, I didn’t like the part about speed, miles covered in one charge etc. They should have a solar powered charger or a wind powered charger which generates enough energy to run it for at least 200 miles on first charge.
neotrotsky

Post by neotrotsky »

eddyhartley wrote:While it’s a good concept, I didn’t like the part about speed, miles covered in one charge etc. They should have a solar powered charger or a wind powered charger which generates enough energy to run it for at least 200 miles on first charge.
Automotive chargers based off of wind or solar are simply not feasible. Once manufacturers can hit a 200 mile REAL WORLD range, then we will start to see legit sales. I wouldn't call the Nissan Leaf an honest attempt at making a mass market electric car because it's range is flat out pathetic.

If car companies are SERIOUS, expect either someone like Hyundai or Skoda to come out with one first over 200 miles or like some others have said, a truly out of the box solution from a company with zero previous experience (much like an Apple move into Wireless phones or Taser International into LEO gear)
"Earth" without Art is just "Eh"...

<a href="http://slowkidsscootergang.wordpress.com/">The Slow Kids Scooter Gang</a>
Ethan Allison

Post by Ethan Allison »

They don't make batteries that small. Or, for that matter, that cheap. You might be able to get 200 miles of range for $20,000, but that much battery would weigh close to half a ton.
neotrotsky

Post by neotrotsky »

Ethan Allison wrote:They don't make batteries that small. Or, for that matter, that cheap. You might be able to get 200 miles of range for $20,000, but that much battery would weigh close to a ton.
Right now. But, there are battery technologies that are not based off of Lithium Ion or Lead Acid that can produce that result.

But, that's only part of the equation. The biggest reason our electronics last so much longer than before is because the devices have become more frugal on their power consumption. It's not easy, but that's what it will take to get the average consumer to buy it. The average technologically uneducated want miracles everyday and they want them cheap, and don't care how it's done. In short: The average consumer is lazy and doesn't care about facts or scientific explanation. So, before auto makers race to release cars that are more advertising than effective means of transport, I think that looking at the power consumption rate may get us further than battery tech. That's just my theory... I'm sure there are PLENTY of far more educated people in this field already on their own tracks to this issue

<a href="http://slowkidsscootergang.wordpress.com/">The Slow Kids Scooter Gang</a>
Tom

Post by Tom »

The electric bike company I've been watching is Brammo. Enertia plus is like 80 miles to a charge I believe? When I bought the Stella, I said that she'd be my last combustion engine purchase. I'm hoping that by the time I need something else, they will be able to get many more miles out of electric bikes. Honestly though I could easily get by with 80 miles on a charge. It's a rare day that I ride even 50.

http://www.brammo.com/home/
siobhan

Post by siobhan »

And don't forget Zero. I love the idea of an electric dirt bike because you could take it places you're not supposed to be riding and you wouldn't be heard by noisy neighbors. You know those power lines are just calling your name.

As for limited range, electric bikes make perfect sense for people in mid-sized US cities that have crap public transit systems (like Providence). That's not even considering the rest of the world that has to deal with horrible pollution from everyone riding/driving something with an internal combustion engine. I realize the electricity comes from somewhere, but it *could* be generated by cleaner means.

The end of gas will happen. Honda is betting on hydrogen. Who knows?
neotrotsky

Post by neotrotsky »

siobhan wrote:And don't forget Zero. I love the idea of an electric dirt bike because you could take it places you're not supposed to be riding and you wouldn't be heard by noisy neighbors. You know those power lines are just calling your name.

As for limited range, electric bikes make perfect sense for people in mid-sized US cities that have crap public transit systems (like Providence). That's not even considering the rest of the world that has to deal with horrible pollution from everyone riding/driving something with an internal combustion engine. I realize the electricity comes from somewhere, but it *could* be generated by cleaner means.

The end of gas will happen. Honda is betting on hydrogen. Who knows?
Well, Arizona's power is generated by Hydroelectric and Nuclear means, so we're ahead of the coal dependency

viney266

Post by viney266 »

eddyhartley wrote:While it’s a good concept, I didn’t like the part about speed, miles covered in one charge etc. They should have a solar powered charger or a wind powered charger which generates enough energy to run it for at least 200 miles on first charge.
^^^ Sadley solar isn't living up to the dream..Yes I would have panels ona car, but they are only a FRACTION of what you need, the panels just don't do that much

And what is really killing us is WEIGHT...The modern cars are just too HEAVY...Look at a 1989 sprint 1.0 litre 51 MPG and 1700 lbs.

The new crop of 1.0 lire cars etcare weighing 2400 lbs !!!! ITS KILLING MPG figures. We had 2 cars in the 80's that made 50 MPG

I think we will see the technology improved in bikes first. It usually is.
Speed is only a matter of money...How fast do you want to go?
BlueMark

Post by BlueMark »

neotrotsky wrote:
eddyhartley wrote: Automotive chargers based off of wind or solar are simply not feasible. Once manufacturers can hit a 200 mile REAL WORLD range, then we will start to see legit sales.
The E-Tracer, winner of the Automotive X-Prize, has a top speed of over 120mph and a range in excess of 150 miles. They claim the electric equivalent of 300mpg. It will be available in the US next year - if you have a spare $100k.
babblefish

Post by babblefish »

I was just watching a video on Jay Leno's site about a city transit bus they've been testing in southern Cal. that is 100% electric and can recharge in 10 minutes. Pretty impressive if you ask me. Also, I was at one of my local Lowe's home centers today and they were selling automotive recharging stations made by GE meant to be installed in a residential location indoors or out. I guess the electric revolution is slowly taking on steam...at least here in California. Even the local edition of Craig's List shows several electric powered scooters of different makes. Personally, I'm looking for one of those small electric "push" scooters such as the Razor E300 or Bladez 450 for getting around flea markets, arts & wine festivals and short trips around town. I'd keep it in the trunk of my car for emergencies. Of course, I'll modify it by replacing the heavy gell cell (lead) batteries with the more powerful and lighter Lithium Polymer (LiPo) batteries.

Some people can break a crowbar in a sandbox.