Rear Rack vs Grab Bar

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

jonlink

Rear Rack vs Grab Bar

Post by jonlink »

I took a peek in the "For Sale / Wanted" forum today and saw a post about someone replacing their rack with the stock grab bar. So now I am wondering why someone would make this choice.

What is bad about the rack? What is good about the grab bar?

I realize some (most or all?) of this will come down to opinion, but I'm interested in hearing those thoughts. I've considering getting a rear rack, but haven't yet pulled the trigger.
jmazza

Post by jmazza »

I switched back because I was almost never using my rear rack and decided I liked the original look better.
AWinn6889

Post by AWinn6889 »

I love the rear rack.. but then again, I have to carry stuff almost every time I ride, I can fit my purse under the seat with all of my locks, and the cover, but that's about it.
So when I go somewhere where I will need more than that, I throw on one of the crates. For instance, when I go to work and need to bring my "lunch box," a sweater or sweatshirt, or need to carry my jacket on the way home when it gets too hot to wear it.
When I don't need a crate, the rack doesn't bother me. My boyfriend has a "quick release" sissy bar/rack combo for his Harley, so when I'm not riding with him, or he doesn't need to carry anything that won't fit in his backpack, he can take it off in about 15 seconds...
I kind of wish there was something like this for the Buddy, but I can see why it would be difficult based on the location/structure of the holes and bolts needed to attach the rack and the grab bar.
No power in the 'verse can stop me.
Tocsik

Post by Tocsik »

I eventually got the aftermarket rear rack for two reasons.

One is I assumed I would eventually want to use a milk crate occasionally.
The other is because in the cold months, I wear ski pants over my jeans in the morning but its often warm enough in the afternoon that I don't need them. I roll them up and bungee them to the rear rack.

I actually prefer the look of the stock grab bars but they just aren't versatile enough.

But, today was the first time in 23K miles that I actually used the milk crate. We had a pot luck at work so my stuff wouldn't strap to the rear rack too well.
.::I know the voices in my head aren't real, but man do they come up with some great ideas::.
KABarash

Post by KABarash »

Honestly, the look of the grab bar is wonderful, there's nothing wrong with it. I put a rack on my Bud within weeks of getting it, I needed the option of more cargo capacity. It's not ugly either, NOTHING wrong with the look of that either. I however put a milk crate on it almost immediately after, now that uglyed it up but I need the versatility of it!!
I am still hunting a nicer basket to replace the crate, I did several months ago find what I thought would be perfect substitute but however, I didn't think the local Williams Sanoma store would appreciate my swiping one of their crome wire hand shopping baskets..... :roll:
Aging is mandatory, growing up is optional.
My kids call me 'crazy', I prefer 'Eccentric'.
Nullius in verba
synaps3

Post by synaps3 »

KABarash wrote:I am still hunting a nicer basket to replace the crate, I did several months ago find what I thought would be perfect substitute but however, I didn't think the local Williams Sanoma store would appreciate my swiping one of their crome wire hand shopping baskets..... :roll:
With how expensive everything is there, I'm sure they wouldn't notice. :lol: :lol:

I put a rack on all my scooters for cargo. I carry way too much stuff to not have one. Last camping trip, I had a sleeping bag and a hammock tent strapped to it. I secured my backpack with everything else to the other side of it, but all the weight of the backpack went on the seat.

Plus, I like the way the rack looks better than the wing. I guess some people might swap back for cosmetic reasons, but I think a scooter without a rack looks naked.
Currently own: 2011 Honda PCX 125
Previously owned:2007 Buddy 125, 1988 Honda Spree, 2003 Honda Silverwing, 2000 KTM 125SX, 1998 Honda PC800, 2x 2008 Buddy 125, 2001 Honda Reflex, 1987 Honda Elite, 5 other bikes (hit text limit for sig)
agrogod

Post by agrogod »

synaps3 wrote:
KABarash wrote:I am still hunting a nicer basket to replace the crate, I did several months ago find what I thought would be perfect substitute but however, I didn't think the local Williams Sanoma store would appreciate my swiping one of their crome wire hand shopping baskets..... :roll:
With how expensive everything is there, I'm sure they wouldn't notice. :lol: :lol:

Actually maybe they would notice http://www.shopcarriage-trade.com/446.html
"When your mouth is yapping your arms stop flapping, get to work" - a quote from my father R.I.P..
always start with the simple, it may end up costing you little to nothing
synaps3

Post by synaps3 »

:shock:
Currently own: 2011 Honda PCX 125
Previously owned:2007 Buddy 125, 1988 Honda Spree, 2003 Honda Silverwing, 2000 KTM 125SX, 1998 Honda PC800, 2x 2008 Buddy 125, 2001 Honda Reflex, 1987 Honda Elite, 5 other bikes (hit text limit for sig)
Speedweasel

Post by Speedweasel »

I'll be getting the chrome rear rack for my Buddy.

Chrome is shiny; shiny things are good.
Stormswift

Post by Stormswift »

I liked the look of grab bars. Gave scooter sporty look. Wish they were made of some other material so that top box could be mounted on top of them when needed. Since that cannot be I had to replace them with the rack. I had a lot of difficulty with the rack during install but it was worth it. I have extra storage space. I love my matching top box and it makes my scooter look bigger / taller.
I am not a scooter snob.
I am a scooter connoisseur
rsrider

Post by rsrider »

Stormswift wrote:I liked the look of grab bars. Gave scooter sporty look. Wish they were made of some other material so that top box could be mounted on top of them when needed. Since that cannot be I had to replace them with the rack. I had a lot of difficulty with the rack during install but it was worth it. I have extra storage space. I love my matching top box and it makes my scooter look bigger / taller.
+1 I was delusional in thinking that a top box could be attacked using the grab rail. Just wanted a quick on/off solution to storage space when needed. But with the top box on, it looks fine.....except I can't swing my leg over, which is a bit upsetting. But, I love the top box.
Using the internet for evil since 1994.
Cheshire

Post by Cheshire »

Downside of the bars: carrying capacity.

Downside of the rack: if you have a passenger, that horizontal bar isn't very fun AT ALL to land on when you hit a bump in the road. :shock:
Also, the rack adds a couple inches to the overall length of the scooter. Most people, this won't matter at all. (Leave it to me to have it be a complication I had to consider. :lol: )
michelle_7728

Post by michelle_7728 »

Cheshire wrote:Also, the rack adds a couple inches to the overall length of the scooter. Most people, this won't matter at all. (Leave it to me to have it be a complication I had to consider. :lol: )
Well???

...you make a comment like that, and you leave us hanging. :P

Why is this a complication for you? :D
Past bikes: 08' Genuine Buddy 125, '07 Yamaha Majesty 400, '07 Piaggio MP3 250, '08 Piaggio MP3 500, '08 Aprilia Scarabeo 500
Current bikes: Two '09 Genuine Buddy 125's
Cheshire

Post by Cheshire »

:lol:
When I used my (now sold) '99 RAV4 to transport the scooter the rack made the difference between unbolting one of the rear seats or just folding it up. There's pictures around here somewhere on a thread. If you search for RAV4 you'll probably find it. :)
michelle_7728

Post by michelle_7728 »

Ah...gotcha.

I wouldn't even have thought of that as an issue, since it's so easy to take the rack off and put it back on. I keep a pliers and an allen wrench in the pet carrier so I have them handy.
Past bikes: 08' Genuine Buddy 125, '07 Yamaha Majesty 400, '07 Piaggio MP3 250, '08 Piaggio MP3 500, '08 Aprilia Scarabeo 500
Current bikes: Two '09 Genuine Buddy 125's
LunaP

Post by LunaP »

agrogod wrote:
synaps3 wrote:

(pssst.... 'sold in packs of 20' = 11/each or less)
KABarash

Post by KABarash »

LunaP wrote:
agrogod wrote:
synaps3 wrote: With how expensive everything is there, I'm sure they wouldn't notice. :lol: :lol:

I thought of buying a 'pack' of them in the past, posted somewhere here and on another forum or two, "Did anyone want in and buy one or three from me"? No bites, you you wanna give it a try? (put me in for three)
Aging is mandatory, growing up is optional.
My kids call me 'crazy', I prefer 'Eccentric'.
Nullius in verba
LunaP

Post by LunaP »

KABarash wrote:
LunaP wrote:
agrogod wrote:........

I thought of buying a 'pack' of them in the past, posted somewhere here and on another forum or two, "Did anyone want in and buy one or three from me"? No bites, you you wanna give it a try? (put me in for three)
Interesting idea. It might look a lot better than my plastic crate, if I could spraypaint it black... idk how you'd get the one to me tho. For me, it would probably be more trouble than worth, since I don't actually have any chrome on my scoot.

Counter-idea... have you tried asking the store if they would give you one? Chain stores get everything sent from corporate. They really may not miss it.

Consequently, you could talk to the manager and ask to be contacted if they ever find one with an imperfection that they'd rather not keep. You could also try hitting up ebay for a single unit? You never know what you can find on ebay...