Advice about jacket brands

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

LunaP

Advice about jacket brands

Post by LunaP »

Hello all. I have an issue. Many of you will not be surprised by it. Please listen to my tale of woe.

My jacket finally got here, and I wasn't super thrilled by it. Thinking I'm pretty stuck with it, due to my size and the difficulty my dealer and I had finding something in my size in a brand she trusted, I took it home anyway.

(Corazzo's site is offline atm, once it isn't, I will replace this line with a link to the product... if you know it, it's the women's 5.0) :headache:

After wearing it a few days, I pretty much hate it. Or rather, hate that I spent sooo much money on it, and it's not really what I need. I have several problems with it. It is basically a SUPER fancy windbreaker. I can't believe I paid over $230 for that. :cry:

It breaks the wind very well, but it isn't 100% like my dealer said it would be- riding straight against 30mph gusts, I felt the wind. It has soft, stretchy material up the sides and on the undersides of the arms- this would theoretically make it more flattering and fit well if it fit snugly, but since the sizing is strange and it's actually loose on me, it serves no purpose other than to catch on the very strong but poorly placed velcro on the jacket. Or maybe the stretch material is poorly placed. Either way, the velcro adjusts, esp on the wrists and neck, constantly catch- on other places on the jacket, other places on me, ON MY HELMET STRAP if I'm not careful, makes it hard to check blind spots! :livid: After wearing it just a weekend, there are spots on the jacket that look as if it's been worn a month, because of the velcro snagging. That makes me angry.

Also, I feel that for 230 the damn thing should have a liner. It took more than a month to get to the shop from Corazzo, which I understand is very good for Corazzo US these days, and in that time not only did I truly forget whether we ordered one with a liner or not, but my life situation and plans kind of changed, to where I would most benefit from a vented jacket with a removable, winter liner.

But again, thought I was SOL because of my large size- can't order a guys jacket, armor would be in the wrong place, would be too small in the hips and much too big in the shoulders.

BUT- I'm looking online at some superstores, and I'm seeing that isn't necessarily true- some brands claim to have exactly what I want, in semi-stylish designs, in my size and then some. I'm now extremely limited in what I can afford, since I'm blown TWO @#$%ing THIRTY on this armored windbreaker... so, what I am wondering is if anybody has any insight or experience with the following brands:

Castle, Fieldsheer, Coretech, Tour Master, Pokerun

Things like do the sizes run small? How did you feel about the water/wind/cold/proofing? What did you think about the armor? How long did it last you?

What I'm trying to avoid is buying another jacket I'm completely dissatisfied with- I can't afford it. Another example is AlpineStars- I got handed down a pair of winter gloves by them that my boyfriend apparently paid $70 for. They blow. Based on the performance of those gloves I would probably never buy anything else AS and trust it in the cold.
michelle_7728

Post by michelle_7728 »

I'm sorry to hear of the issues you are having. I am fortunate that I live close by Renton Motorcycle, which has a huge selection of gear, and a Scorpion rep that comes in a couple of times a week.

So when I purchased a First Gear Kilimanjaro from them, and found out I didn't like it (I had to wear an additional jacket under it to remain as warm as my old textile winter jacket), they let me return it and order a Scorpion Women's Fury jacket.

I wore it last year and it kept me warm and dry. I would highly recommend it.

For gloves, they also are not cheap, but Gerbings hybrid heated gloves . Gloves and batteries will run around $300 and you'll want to buy some Nikwax to waterproof them, but you will never regret the purchase. I've had these a year also, and absolutely love them.
Past bikes: 08' Genuine Buddy 125, '07 Yamaha Majesty 400, '07 Piaggio MP3 250, '08 Piaggio MP3 500, '08 Aprilia Scarabeo 500
Current bikes: Two '09 Genuine Buddy 125's
LunaP

Post by LunaP »

michelle_7728 wrote: For gloves, they also are not cheap, but Gerbings hybrid heated gloves . Gloves and batteries will run around $300 and you'll want to buy some Nikwax to waterproof them, but you will never regret the purchase. I've had these a year also, and absolutely love them.
Boyfriend is considering heated gloves... but he has the money for them. I definitely do not. Especially when they will probably only get used for one winter XD

For gloves, I am ordering some of these Arctiva gloves

I tried on a pair of Arctivas that were a slightly older style at the shop and was fairly impressed, but didnt buy them on the spot because they were kind of tight.
La

Post by La »

I would suggest that you call Corazzo. I had the same issues with the jacket and they kindly let me return it. I took photos of how the Velcro ravaged the white stretch material on my jacket and emailed it to them. Hopefully if more folks let them know of their unhappiness with this portion of their design, they will change it. Overall, I was sad that the jacket did not work out for me because I really like the look of it. In the end, the Teknic, BMW and Motoport gear worked out the best for me, with only the Teknic being reasonable in price. If you do look at the Teknic, I found the jacket sizing to be a little on the large size. I have the sequoia jacket in a size 8 because the size 10 (my normal size) would be too big. eBay has some of these new listed for about $37, not returnable. I have no relation to this seller or company. It is not beautiful but it does the job for me in the winter. Just some thoughts.

Good luck!
Skootz Kabootz

Post by Skootz Kabootz »

LunaP wrote:For gloves, I am ordering some of these Arctiva gloves
Be advised that these are snowmobile gloves and are made of nylon. You need proper MC gloves made from cordura or leather or such suitable material if you care about protection.

Nylon has no skid resistance and when sliding along the pavement during a fall actually melts into your skin. Not pleasant. Even less pleasant to have removed. Quality motorcycle/scooter gear is designed with very specific safety specifications tested to withstand or at least resist the forces at play during a fall. You need that science working for you.

"It's only fun if you live to talk about it." | Adventurists Scooter Group |
rsrider

Post by rsrider »

I have a pair of A*'s Drystar water resistant gloves, have had them for years, and have not had a problem with them. they're membrane on the outside, with leather palms, and leather re-enforced. They're very warm. BUT, Cortech also makes excellent gloves. The jacket.......emm that's tough, it sounds like you're overweight, without coming out and saying it. So it would be in your best interest to go to stores that carry MC gear and keep trying on jackets until you find one that fits.
Using the internet for evil since 1994.
pdxrita

Post by pdxrita »

I have a Corazzo women's 5.0 and I love it. I've never had any big issues with the velcro snagging the stretch panels. Maybe that's because I leave the wrist straps closed and I don't try to ball it up for storage - I hang it both here and at work. I have had a couple of experiences with the neck velcro catching my chin strap. Because of that, I make sure that the neck velcro is evenly closed with no velcro exposed, or if it's really warm and I want it open, I fold it back out of the way a bit. If I had any complaints about my 5.0, the neck would be it, but it's really minor. As for the lack of lining, I consider it to be a roll-your-own liner design. I wear a zip front fleece jacket under mine most of the time. The thing I like about that is that it gives me a jacket that I can wear at my destination - one less thing I need to stuff into my carrier. I've worn my 5.0 in all sorts of weather - from 16 degrees to 95ish and in lots of rain. With the fleece and other clothing I was already wearing (sweater, thermal, snow pants) under it, I actually didn't get too cold in the 16 degree ride. Only my hands suffered. So my advice would be to look for a fleece jacket to wear underneath - I got mine at a thrift store for less than $5. Or, if you really can't stand it, contact Corazzo. They really are very good about handling customer issues like this.
jmazza

Post by jmazza »

rsrider wrote:So it would be in your best interest to go to stores that carry MC gear and keep trying on jackets until you find one that fits.
This is good advice (when possible) for any gear purchase. And I agree about giving Corazzo a call/email. I've always found their return policy to be solid.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Corazzo was in the process of changing ownership, which is probably why it took so long.

It sounds like the jacket you're describing is the Max, which I wore for a few years and was quite happy with! The outer shell is a 600D Cordura—abrasion resistant far beyond what you get in a windbreaker. Only issue I've had: after about 3 years, the Velcro starting going to crap. This is pretty common and one reason I hate Velcro closures. Same problem on my Belstaff gloves and gear I own from other brands. Then, recently, zipper pull broke. It's YKK zipper, same as what you'll find on high end gear. The zipper still works, just need to fix that part.

Regardless, "different strokes" as they say. Sorry to hear you're not happy with yours. This is one reason we always recommend being able to try on gear and see it in person before ordering online, even through a dealer.

Meanwhile, you can try emailing the new owners at info@corazzo.net. This may be a good test to see if their customer service will be as good as it was under the previous owners.

One thing you can do: Take pics of any parts of the jacket that look worn and include them in the email.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
monkeykat

Post by monkeykat »

I have a lot of empathy for your situation--I did the same thing. I bought a jacket that I thought would be the end-all, but after wearing it for a month, I realized it's not quite right. I now have the Corazzo Trench, which has it's own set of shortcomings (and was equally as expensive), but fits me better.

I can't offer advice on other jackets, but I do want to add that if you find a jacket you really like, but it doesn't have a liner/sleeve wind guard, these work pretty well:

http://www.amazon.com/New-Balance-Women ... B004HEWTFE

On more windy days, I layer my jacket with the arm warmers and a zippy or hoodie--and I feel pretty comfy. If you find a jacket that has it all, let me know :)
AWinn6889

Post by AWinn6889 »

http://leatherup.com/p/Womens-Motorcycl ... 54126.html

This is the jacket that I have, it comes with a zip-out liner, and so far it has been absolutely perfect. A lot of the reviews say it runs small, so I ordered a size larger (L) and it's a little big, BUT I can still fit a hoodie underneath my liner if I need to, and I like that. The places where it can adjust make it so that I can wear it tighter without the liner, or looser with the liner without it acting like a parachute. All of the ways I have worn it, and the recent, rather chilly temperatures up here in NY, it has kept me both warm, and cool, when I needed it to, I love it.

My boyfriend also has an Xelement, this one...

http://leatherup.com/p/Mens-Motorcycle- ... 46625.html

Which also comes in a women's version, (I think there's one with a pink stripe somewhere on there too... might be out of stock)
But it says there are only 6 left right now. I have noticed though, that they replace their stock rather frequently when things run out.
Anyway, he loves his jacket too. It still looks like new, and it has been great for him so far. The leather on the shoulders is nice, but warm. Mine is a little bit cooler because it can breathe on the shoulders.

The one and only complaint I have with mine, is that the removable elbow armor slides down to the very edge of my elbow/forearm on me sometimes... but I have T-rex arms so it probably wouldn't be a problem on an average-above average-sized person. I do however have rather muscular arms for my size (from rowing and paddling and loading trucks at FedEx) and this fits them perfectly, while I have t-shirts and sweaters that have to stretch a bit to fit my arms sometimes.

They are rather inexpensive, but still very protective (if you read the reviews there are a lot of "I bought this jacket twice because I crashed and it saved my arms" etc etc stories on there). Also, if you do crash, and your jacket it shredded, it's not THAT painful to buy a new one.
They also have a great return policy, and shipping one back through the post office (if you absolutely have to) is pretty cheap.
No power in the 'verse can stop me.
Southerner

Post by Southerner »

Down here so far south, I went for a 2-season mesh jacket with liner. Apparently the two seasons are spring and fall because, liner or not, it's definitely not for even southern winters.

Still, it's armored and does a pretty good job. That being said, I don't wear it in the summer because it's just too hot. Yes, I know the risk.

As for gloves, it's been my experience that even with thick winter MC gloves, the cold will eventually get to your knuckles. I have a full fairing but the airflow comes right across the top of the mirrors and onto my hands. I've added liners when it gets terribly cold but it gets awfully tight with those.

I see electric stuff as primarily for long-distance touring. Wouldn't want to mess with all that complication just for short rides.
mrandmrslindholm

Post by mrandmrslindholm »

Luna, if you can't get Corazzo to do something that will work for you, you may want to go to a local motorcycle shop and try on some jackets. Before I got mine, I went to probably the largest motorcycle shop in our area and tried on several jackets. I was able to see them in person and know if the features/fit would work for me. After that, I went online and found one of the jackets I liked for sale, slightly used on Ebay really discounted. When I got it, it was like brand new and the seller told me they had only worn it once. It works great for me. Either way, I hope you get something that works for you.
LunaP

Post by LunaP »

rsrider wrote:I have a pair of A*'s Drystar water resistant gloves, have had them for years, and have not had a problem with them. they're membrane on the outside, with leather palms, and leather re-enforced. They're very warm. BUT, Cortech also makes excellent gloves. The jacket.......emm that's tough, it sounds like you're overweight, without coming out and saying it. So it would be in your best interest to go to stores that carry MC gear and keep trying on jackets until you find one that fits.
Overweight, yes... but not extremely. My pant/dress size is typically a 18, but for shirts I can usually wear a regular XL or 2XL with no problem. There are 3 dealerships here- Scoot Richmond, a Harley dealership, and a Honda dealership. I've been through everything at SR, and the Harley dealership... lulz. We actually went there looking for full face helmets for bf because he has a huge head, and ended up going through the apparel section being appalled/laughing at the fact that all the coats we overpriced Harley-name things, or leather, with no armor whatsoever. I suppose I could go into the Honda place.

Cortech is one of the brands I was looking at, and honestly leaning towards. I'll give those jackets a third look.
Skootz Kabootz wrote:
LunaP wrote:For gloves, I am ordering some of these Arctiva gloves
Be advised that these are snowmobile gloves and are made of nylon. You need proper MC gloves made from cordura or leather or such suitable material if you care about protection.

Nylon has no skid resistance and when sliding along the pavement during a fall actually melts into your skin. Not pleasant. Even less pleasant to have removed. Quality motorcycle/scooter gear is designed with very specific safety specifications tested to withstand or at least resist the forces at play during a fall. You need that science working for you.
Thank you very much for pointing this out to me... while I am extremely disappointed because those gloves were the warmest damn gloves I'd tried on so far... I'd rather not have nylon melted to my hand. Indeed. The search for gloves continues.

@monkeykat- thank you, I will definitely keep those arm warmers in mind
@AWinn- those actually look pretty smart, thanks for the tip

@La, jmazza and eric- my dealer could tell I wasnt happy and asked the boyfriend while they were building gymkhana sets the other day... I'm going to tell her all my problems with it, but the thing is I'm not letting S.R. take a $230 dollar fall either- I'm only letting her return it for me if she's sure Corazzo will refund it to her. We'll see.

I had been pretty hesitant to try to contact Corazzo directly- this seemed like a terrible time with their change of hands. I have heard horror stories recently about returns taking forever and shipments being forgotten, etc etc... two different people in my club told me I was LUCKY to have gotten it after one month and not several. I know that a day before it showed up at the shop, she called to check on it and somebody told her that it hadn't been shipped, and they couldn't find it in the warehouse, so for about 24 hours we thought I wasnt getting it at all.

Fall is here, winter is coming- I know it isnt as cold here as it is other places where some of you live- but here, spring and fall last about 2 weeks tops. Fall's about to be gone, winter is coming... and I can't go without a legitimate jacket for much longer. I have wool coats but they aren't made for riding in the wind or rain, or for going down on a bike if it were to happen. So, if I try to return it to Corazzo, wait on them, they don't have their crap together and it takes FOREVER for me to get money back or a different coat... I'm boned. Or a popsicle.
heatherkay

Post by heatherkay »

That's weird. I ordered the Corazzo Tempeste directly from the company's website a couple of months ago. It arrived within 2 weeks. It was the wrong size (the sizing seems to run a little large). I emailed them and asked them about returning/exchanging. I sent it back, based on their instructions, and they turned around the smaller jacket within 2 weeks. Of course, I wasn't trying to get my money back, so that could make a difference, I suppose. But no complaints here.

The Tempeste does come with a fleece liner. I haven't worn it much yet (it's been unusually warm and I've been going with my mesh jacket still), but I have worn it once or twice. It seems pretty windproof -- I didn't have it totally buttoned down and cinched up. No problems with velcro.
Speedweasel

Post by Speedweasel »

I got a Joe Rocket hemp with "Big Air" feature... check out the Joe Rocket lineup.
siobhan

Post by siobhan »

lunaP, some thoughts from someone who rides in really cold weather and is "yankee thrifty".

1) Check out gloves from Olympia Sports (not a part of Olympia Motosports). They have reasonably priced, moto-specific winter gloves. Also click on the Internet specials link for some good deals. Not all the winter gloves have armour. And don't believe the melted nylon nonsense. Lots of folks wear snowmobile gloves in the winter, understanding the protection is not the same as moto-gloves with kevlar or leather. The heated gloves are awesome but insanely expensive (I do have the hybrids so I can use the battery pack for my commute but they were a Christmas present from two different people combining to buy them).

2) I also have the 5.0 (I got it on eBay so I can't complain about the things that bother me too much 'cos I wanted a pink jacket with good retro-reflection), but I also don't like the stretchy sides as the rain pours in. Guys, your 5.0 don't have this, just the ladies' version does.

3) Cortech and TourMaster stuff is fine. Fieldsheer is a step down and I've never heard of the other two brands you mentioned. Other decent brands to consider are FirstGear (someone mentioned the Kilimanjaro which is a great jacket) and Olympia Motorsports (I'm on year 3 of someone else's used AST and it's still plugging along...not waterproof anymore but not falling apart).

4) As others have suggested, wearing your own jacket underneath will work. Most of the liner jackets that come with moto-jackets are ugly so why pay for that when you can wear your own. I highly suggest Primaloft or goose down. Go to a thrift store and pick up a down jacket or vest for next to nothing. You'll be amazed at how warm you'll be.

5) Consider wearing a jacket over your riding jacket. On really, really, really cold days (like 0F), I have an old LIRR coat that I wear over my riding jacket. It has great retro-reflective tape (it's railroad after all) and it keeps me warm. I got it for 5 bux at the thrift store.

6) For blocking the wind, look into under jackets made of Gore Windstopper (which will cost a fortune) or some of the fleece jackets have wind-resistant fabric (it looks like graph paper on the inside). Again, scour your local thrift stores.

7) Your hands are the weak spot. Consider wearing latex gloves under your riding gloves or dish gloves over your riding gloves (again, this is the cheap way) to block the wind. I even saw one guy who cut down two gallon containers of milk and mounted them to the handbars to block the wind. Absolute genius if you ask me.

8 ) You'll need something for your neck and face. Look for a fleece neck gaiter or balaclava at the thrift store. I waited for the TurtleFur gaiters to go on half price and got three of them for 50 cents each.

Have fun and post up those cold-weather riding pics. Then those who live in Arizona and southern Cali can make amusing comments.
Southerner

Post by Southerner »

I would think that some of those plastic handguards that are used on dual sport bikes could be modified to fit a scooter. If in the right color, I don't think they'd look out of place, either. They would definitely keep the wind off your knuckles and maybe out of your sleeves as well.
LunaP

Post by LunaP »

siobhan wrote:lunaP, some thoughts from someone who rides in really cold weather and is "yankee thrifty".

1) Check out gloves from Olympia Sports (not a part of Olympia Motosports). They have reasonably priced, moto-specific winter gloves. Also click on the Internet specials link for some good deals. Not all the winter gloves have armour. And don't believe the melted nylon nonsense. Lots of folks wear snowmobile gloves in the winter, understanding the protection is not the same as moto-gloves with kevlar or leather. The heated gloves are awesome but insanely expensive (I do have the hybrids so I can use the battery pack for my commute but they were a Christmas present from two different people combining to buy them).

2) I also have the 5.0 (I got it on eBay so I can't complain about the things that bother me too much 'cos I wanted a pink jacket with good retro-reflection), but I also don't like the stretchy sides as the rain pours in. Guys, your 5.0 don't have this, just the ladies' version does.

3) Cortech and TourMaster stuff is fine. Fieldsheer is a step down and I've never heard of the other two brands you mentioned. Other decent brands to consider are FirstGear (someone mentioned the Kilimanjaro which is a great jacket) and Olympia Motorsports (I'm on year 3 of someone else's used AST and it's still plugging along...not waterproof anymore but not falling apart).

4) As others have suggested, wearing your own jacket underneath will work. Most of the liner jackets that come with moto-jackets are ugly so why pay for that when you can wear your own. I highly suggest Primaloft or goose down. Go to a thrift store and pick up a down jacket or vest for next to nothing. You'll be amazed at how warm you'll be.

5) Consider wearing a jacket over your riding jacket. On really, really, really cold days (like 0F), I have an old LIRR coat that I wear over my riding jacket. It has great retro-reflective tape (it's railroad after all) and it keeps me warm. I got it for 5 bux at the thrift store.

6) For blocking the wind, look into under jackets made of Gore Windstopper (which will cost a fortune) or some of the fleece jackets have wind-resistant fabric (it looks like graph paper on the inside). Again, scour your local thrift stores.

7) Your hands are the weak spot. Consider wearing latex gloves under your riding gloves or dish gloves over your riding gloves (again, this is the cheap way) to block the wind. I even saw one guy who cut down two gallon containers of milk and mounted them to the handbars to block the wind. Absolute genius if you ask me.

8 ) You'll need something for your neck and face. Look for a fleece neck gaiter or balaclava at the thrift store. I waited for the TurtleFur gaiters to go on half price and got three of them for 50 cents each.

Have fun and post up those cold-weather riding pics. Then those who live in Arizona and southern Cali can make amusing comments.
siobhan- thank you for your very informative post...

2)- OMG... I was sincerely unhappy to find that the jacket was rated as water resistant, not proof, but to know that the stretch material just lets the rain in? COMPLETELY UNACCEPTABLE.

4)- I can wear my own and have no problem doing so... but especially if the jacket itself is not waterproof, then the liner should be. That's how my boyfriend's jacket is... the proofing on his outer shell has worn down... but the inner liner is made out of such good material he can stand in the shower with it no and not get wet. I don't just want the liner for warmth, otherwise I'd be much happier about this jacket. (also, I can do away with the liner completely once I end up in CA next year...)

7) Good ideas, and I'll do them if I have to- but one of my wrist I already have to wear a fabric brace (my throttle hand) and so I'd like to keep wearing extra things to a minumum... although, you're right about the dish gloves, I'd rather wear a lighter outer layer than try to stuff knit or leather driving gloves underneath.

8 ) I have a neackwarmer- I ordered a double-layer one, think what the heck it's just a few bucks more and I'm sure I'll need it... but this was another problem with the jacket. I can't wear the neckwarmer, jacket, and helmet all at once- the jacket doesn't close and seal away the velcro completely without choking me, leaving velcro exposed to catch on my helmet strap. The collar closure is tight over the neckwarmer either way I do it, it makes it hard to move my head around- I think I just should have ordered the single-layer neckwarmer. So, I may have to order a new one. Or stick to scarves and leave my upper neck and chin exposed (not that the double layer went under my helmet well anyway)

As for the pics... will definitely post some! I have some already, I just haven't gotten them off the camera. It's actually a damn shame I hate this jacket, because I LOVE how it looks on me... I just didn't buy it to look awesome on me :cry:

EDIT: may be appropriate to mention I'm also waiting on a lap cover... I don't think it's been ordered yet because my dealer wants to make ABSOLUTELY SURE it will fit the buddy... I should go check in with her today
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Silk or merino glove liners are excellent. Very thin, too.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

BTW, Corazzo jackets have a warranty so if there are problems with the fabrics, etc., you should be able to just bring it back to Scoot Richmond. Have you talked to them about this?
Edwub

Post by Edwub »

Only advice I can share is on purchasing:

I went to seven or eight motorcycle and scooter shops to try on a variety of jackets and sizes. I'm between sizes, which made it tricky. So I ended up purchasing from Revzilla.com. They have NO restock fee on returns (a lot of places charge 10 to 20% on returns, it's insane). I ended up buying the jacket in both sizes from them, and returned the one that didn't fit as well. Only thing it cost me out of pocket was the shipping (~$12). Complete hassle free return, though I had emailed them in advance and they thanked me for being considerate.

In all honesty, I know I spent way more on gas all those weekends driving around LA.
LunaP

Post by LunaP »

ericalm wrote:BTW, Corazzo jackets have a warranty so if there are problems with the fabrics, etc., you should be able to just bring it back to Scoot Richmond. Have you talked to them about this?
I haven't had a chance since I decided that it was actually the jacket I was unhappy with, and not the fact that I spent $230 on something I wear (that would be about Friday). I took it home last wednesday afternoon- my two days off were yesterday and today, which are SR's closed days of course.

I actually had a derp moment just now... was totally telling myself I needed to get off my butt and go down there... then I went "Oh... it's monday..."

Will probably swing by the Honda place though, I'll report back on my findings.
viney266

Post by viney266 »

siobhan wrote:

^^^^ Siobhan knows her stuff. I totally agree with #3...Fieldsheer used to be better, but has fallen a bit since the new management. Still not junk, but not as good as the others

As far as hands, I"ve never been able to do the latex trick. My hands sweat, but a friend I ride with swears by it. I am with Ericalm on silk liners. I have a silk balaclava and glove liners and they are ALWAYS in my jacket.

The milk jugs over the hands? great idea on the cheap...Back in the day (I'm old lol) they were called "hippo Hands" They still sell them made for snowmobiles. They go over the handlebar and you slip your hands in them. I ride a dualsport bike in winter, and the handguards for woods riding do wonders keeping your hands warm.
Speed is only a matter of money...How fast do you want to go?
LunaP

Post by LunaP »

@ siobhan, viney, and anybody who can chime in-

Do you know anything about Cortech's sizing? The sizing chart on the manufacturer's website is just stupid- has no chest or bust measure suggestion, only a sleeve http://www.tourmaster.com/xcart/catalog ... -sp-8.html

While third party sites list sizing charts for the same product, have it available in a different range of sizes (ex, up to a 3XL) and the sizing chart does have a chest measurement to follow:
http://www.mxmegastore.com/Cortech-LRX- ... 1&CartID=0

CONFUSED. :hit: Really the problem is that I high suspect I am in-between sizes, per usual. Across the board with jackets, ordering a size up if you have any meat whatsoever on your bones seems to be the norm... but according to most sizing charts the size jump between an XL and a 2XL is not subtle, which is probably why my Corazzo jacket is loose on me (it's a 2X).

Point is... more than one finger has pointed toward this brand, I like the specs, I like how it looks, I found it on that site for 90, and on eBay for 60. But on eBay it isn't returnable, so I have to be very careful what size I order o.o[/url]
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Edwub wrote:In all honesty, I know I spent way more on gas all those weekends driving around LA.
Given the number of motorcyclists and scooterists in this area, gear selection at most shops is pretty sad. Like you, I've had to visit dozens of shops hunting for helmets, jackets, gloves, etc. It's tiring.
La

Post by La »

O.k. I found info on the jacket that I previously mentioned. I happen to like it alot and would say don't be fooled by the price, it's a good jacket. They have a size 16 which might work for you. I have purchased from this company before without difficulties. If you call them and explain that you have had issues with sizing in the past, you might be able to get them to do an armpit to armpit measurement that might help you. This jacket also has a liner so you will want an inch or two extra. They also have a cordura glove by Teknic that I have that works well for me in the winter, with my adding liners to them.

Info: http://www.ironpony.com/ironponydirect/ ... ets-Womens
Southerner

Post by Southerner »

ericalm wrote:
Edwub wrote:In all honesty, I know I spent way more on gas all those weekends driving around LA.
Given the number of motorcyclists and scooterists in this area, gear selection at most shops is pretty sad. Like you, I've had to visit dozens of shops hunting for helmets, jackets, gloves, etc. It's tiring.
If you think it's bad in Big Ol" L. A., can you imagine what it's like out here in the sticks?

I agree about the latex gloves. My hands sweat in those things. The result is cold, [/i]damp hands. Not good. The silk sounds much better. All I've used is plain old cotton glove liners.
siobhan

Post by siobhan »

LunaP wrote: Do you know anything about Cortech's sizing? The sizing chart on the manufacturer's website is just stupid- has no chest or bust measure suggestion, only a sleeve http://www.tourmaster.com/xcart/catalog ... -sp-8.html
I don't know why the women's sizes are always given in dress clothes size. Just give us the damn inches already!

My suggestion is to call RevZilla and ask about sizing. There are several women that work there so everyone seems to get it. When I was trying, in vain, to find pants to fit my insanely long inseam, both the guy (Honda Paul!) and the girl (Kat) that I dealt with were great. So they all sorta get that women are difficult to fit.

Plus, they have a great return policy, no restock fee as someone mentioned above. At worse, pick their brains a bit.

In the end, I spent over an hour in the showroom and walked out with nothing because Kat and I couldn't find anything that worked. And that was ok with her and me.

That said, my jacket, the Olympia AST has zips at the hips that I can use to make the jacket fit hips. I'm skinny so I keep it zipped but I have friends who love it. It ain't cheap, but I buy used from other forums that have good flea market sections (like BMW owners with more money than sense ;)
lilguy

Post by lilguy »

Any suggestions for particular silk glove liners?
Lostmycage
FAQ Moderator

Post by Lostmycage »

Go to Sprocketz (Honda House on Broad) and Velocity Motorcycles (on Leigh or Marshall near the Diamond) as well. Sprocketz has the largest selection of gear around and will try to match online prices within reason. Velocity has a much smaller selection but they're good people.

There's also Ultimate Cycles on Midloathian. They have a decent selection of gear, but I won't buy anything from them.

If you're up for a trip East, there's a Cycle Gear in Norfolk that has a larger selection of gear than any place here locally.

Motorcycle gear isn't cheap. You're going through sticker shock. I would talk to Scoot Richmond about your jacket before starting a complaint thread. If there's a defect in the jacket, they're pretty good about getting the manufacturer to fix it. If it's a case of buyer's remorse, well, not too many places will take that back after it shows clear signs of use.

Good luck.
Check out :arrow: Scoot Richmond's new site: My awesome local shop.
AWinn6889

Post by AWinn6889 »

lilguy wrote:Any suggestions for particular silk glove liners?
I got mine from a local winter sports place. Some chain sports stores might carry them now that winter is getting closer and closer...
No power in the 'verse can stop me.