OK I am finally going to cave in and ask

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

mrandmrslindholm

OK I am finally going to cave in and ask

Post by mrandmrslindholm »

Since I am fairly new to the scooter world, I read many of the messages on this board just to figure out what I need to know. One of the things I still cannot figure out, however, is why the storage under the seat is called a pet carrier. Can anyone enlighten me as to how this term came to be? Thanks!
slusher5

Post by slusher5 »

because you can fill it up with water and transport you're exotic fish home safely
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

:)
From Modern Buddy/Scooter Lexicon: Glossary in the FAQ section:

pet carrier: noun 1. The storage compartment under the seat on many scooter models. So named because new Vespa models have a sticker with a "no pets" icon in the underseat storage.
Usage: "Does your full face helmet fit in the pet carrier?"
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
babblefish

Post by babblefish »

Oh, I don't know. I put my cat in mine all the time. I think he likes it...but it's hard to tell because he's usually passed out by the time I take him out.
Some people can break a crowbar in a sandbox.
babblefish

Post by babblefish »

Just kidding! No hate posts please! :D
Some people can break a crowbar in a sandbox.
mrandmrslindholm

Post by mrandmrslindholm »

Thank you for the explanation. I never would have found that!
KABarash

Post by KABarash »

My son's Yamaha R6 has an under seat (pet) carrier that will barely fit two packs of smokes and the average mans' wallet, we refer to it as his 'Lizard Carrier' :nerd:
Aging is mandatory, growing up is optional.
My kids call me 'crazy', I prefer 'Eccentric'.
Nullius in verba
viney266

Post by viney266 »

slusher5 wrote:because you can fill it up with water and transport you're exotic fish home safely
You will have to silicone a few spots first, but now I want to.

I have seen the pet carrier used as a cooler with ice at an event...pretty nice application. LOL
Speed is only a matter of money...How fast do you want to go?
LunaP

Post by LunaP »

KABarash wrote:My son's Yamaha R6 has an under seat (pet) carrier that will barely fit two packs of smokes and the average mans' wallet, we refer to it as his 'Lizard Carrier' :nerd:
Being reptile-friendly, I enjoy this :)

You know, boyfriend told me people called it a pet carrier when I was planning on buying the Buddy... I kind of thought he was joking. Then I got on MB. :P
BlueMark

Post by BlueMark »

viney266 wrote:I have seen the pet carrier used as a cooler with ice at an event...pretty nice application. LOL
That is super simple to do with a softsided cooler. I had a motorcycle buddy ask me why anyone would ride a scooter instead of a 'real' motorcycle. My answer was to pull up the seat, grab a cold can out of the ice and toss it to him.
slusher5

Post by slusher5 »

BlueMark wrote:
viney266 wrote:I have seen the pet carrier used as a cooler with ice at an event...pretty nice application. LOL
That is super simple to do with a softsided cooler. I had a motorcycle buddy ask me why anyone would ride a scooter instead of a 'real' motorcycle. My answer was to pull up the seat, grab a cold can out of the ice and toss it to him.
haha very nice
not good idea to drink and drive, assuming it was beer...

some idiot asked how much my buddy 50 was, told him $2000.. he was like, "damn you could of bought a used motorcycle for that much"
people these days, not understanding that scooters are superior to motorcycles in some aspects
scootavaran

Post by scootavaran »

slusher5 wrote:
BlueMark wrote:
haha very nice

some idiot asked how much my buddy 50 was, told him $2000.. he was like, "damn you could of bought a used motorcycle for that much"
people these days, not understanding that scooters are superior to motorcycles in some aspects

Ugh dont get me started on that.....Owning a Honda SH I get alot of that.

Believe it or not people dont always buy a scooter because they cant afford a "real" motorcycle, it's because we WANTED a scooter over a motorcycle.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

scootavaran wrote:
slusher5 wrote:
BlueMark wrote: That is super simple to do with a softsided cooler. I had a motorcycle buddy ask me why anyone would ride a scooter instead of a 'real' motorcycle. My answer was to pull up the seat, grab a cold can out of the ice and toss it to him.
haha very nice

Ugh dont get me started on that.....Owning a Honda SH I get alot of that.
Motorcycle? For that kind of money you could have gotten a Vespa!

(Kidding!)
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
KABarash

Post by KABarash »

BlueMark wrote:why anyone would ride a scooter instead of a 'real' motorcycle.
My son's girl friend gives me that all the time, saying that the scoot isn't 'real' cause you don't shift it.
I look at her and ask if since her car is an auto trans and my Jeep isn't, her car isn't 'real'........? :roll:
Aging is mandatory, growing up is optional.
My kids call me 'crazy', I prefer 'Eccentric'.
Nullius in verba
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

KABarash wrote:
My son's girl friend gives me that all the time, saying that the scoot isn't 'real' cause you don't shift it.
I look at her and ask if since her car is an auto trans and my Jeep isn't, her car isn't 'real'........? :roll:
Good one! Especially since my "Real" car is six speed manual, 6.0L LS2 450 hp
"Things fall apart - it's scientific" - David Byrne
www.teamscootertrash.com

'06 Cream Buddy 125, 11 Blur 220, 13 BMW C 650 GT, 68 Vespa SS180, 64 Vespa GS MK II, 65 Lambretta TV 175, 67 Vespa GT, 64 Vespa 150 VBB 64 Vespa GL
TVB

Post by TVB »

slusher5 wrote:some idiot asked how much my buddy 50 was, told him $2000.. he was like, "damn you could of bought a used motorcycle for that much"
When I was first considering a motorbike, it was between a 50cc scooter and a real moped. A moped would be lighter, could theoretically be pedaled home if necessary, give me more hipster cred ;) ... but the pet carrier on most scooters triggered the thought "I could go camping with one of those"... and the rest is history.
TVB

Post by TVB »

BuddyRaton wrote:Good one! Especially since my "Real" car is six speed manual, 6.0L LS2 450 hp
I used to have a car with a five-speed manual transmission and a 1.0L engine. Basically a 1000cc motorcycle with four wheels and a roof. :)
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

KABarash wrote:
That girl's gotta go! ;)