Cold weather pants?

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

ed85379

Cold weather pants?

Post by ed85379 »

What do you hardy folks who ride in the winter do for your lower extremities?

I mean, I can bundle up with leather, hoody underneath, scarf, gloves, etc. But my legs... when the wind chill gets down to 32 degrees, jeans just don't protect my legs enough.

Long-underwear, then sweat at work? Leather chaps and look like an old motorcycle rider? One of those apron things and look even more foolish?

I am planning on riding as much as I can this winter, as long as I can stay warm enough.
jprestonian

Re: Cold weather pants?

Post by jprestonian »

ed85379 wrote:Long-underwear, then sweat at work?
Your local Target will have C9 by Champion. For $12, you gotta try a pair of them. Not uncomfortable inside at all.

Also, Frogg Toggs pants make an excellent windbreaker, even in dry (yet cold) weather.
kooky scientist

Post by kooky scientist »

I went to REI and got some heavy duty North Face snow pants and still use long underwear. You need layers and bring a bag and take the stuff off once you get to work. A pain in the ass but you'll be so happy come spring when it warms up enough that you don't have to do that anymore.
ed85379

Re: Cold weather pants?

Post by ed85379 »

jprestonian wrote:
ed85379 wrote:Long-underwear, then sweat at work?
Your local Target will have C9 by Champion. For $12, you gotta try a pair of them. Not uncomfortable inside at all.

Also, Frogg Toggs pants make an excellent windbreaker, even in dry (yet cold) weather.
I'll check them out.

My other concern with long underwear, besides being possibly too hot, is that I have very hairy legs. Even regular tube-socks, when I wear them for too long, make my ankles sore. I'm afraid anything tight to my skin would be pretty uncomfortable.
kooky scientist

Post by kooky scientist »

I splurged on the Patagonia super lightweight long underwear. Expensive, but amazingly warm and not bulky at all. You still have to take them off indoors but the best long underwear there is IMHO.
black sunshine

Post by black sunshine »

i've got these:

http://www.jafrum.com/Motorcycle-Pants/ ... nts/LP2821

they ROCK. i just take them off when i get to work. the lining is removable, and with it in i've NEVER felt cold in my legs. of course, it doesn't get SUPER cold down here, but i'm pretty sure i rode in 32 degree weather with them on and no discomfort :-)
DanteG

Post by DanteG »

+1 on the Champion or similar stuff. As another hairy type, my experience with them hasn't been uncomfortable.

The armoured pants are also a worthwhile investment ... especially if you can catch them on sale. Do check to see if the pants are intended as overpants or to be worn without trousers beneath.
when the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.

HST
siobhan

Post by siobhan »

FirstGear TPG Escape overpants. They were waterproof for a couple of years of daily riding, they have a warm, quilted lining for the winter, and they feature hip and knee armour and great retro-reflective material. Now I wear them with a waterproof liner from another pair of pants I have so I don't fret that they leak now. Seriously, abusive, daily riding and I have treated them with spray intended for boat cushions.

That said, I paid no where near what they're going for now. I can't believe how much they cost...must be the d3o armour!

Can you see me now?

I like overpants over a scooterskirt (which I also have...check eBay and craigslist for a good deal) because I get armour with the pants. And seriously, it takes like, hmm, all of 15 seconds to take them off and throw them over a chair in my office.

The boyfriend has FirstGear HT Overpants and he likes them. Again, easy-on, easy-off.

If you're on a budget, go to a thrift store and get snow pants. No armour but they'll be warm. I, personally, want knee and hip protection. I've smashed my knee up off-road and it wasn't pretty.
Cheshire

Post by Cheshire »

I don't know what model, but my overpants are also FirstGear. I usually leave the liner out and just wear them with either flannel- or fleece-lined jeans. If I'm nervous about getting cold, I use long wool socks with winter boots. This, coupled with windproof gaitors, and I've ridden down to 20F with everything from the waist down toasty...even on multi-hour scootering sessions. With normal jeans I'd just keep the liner in, but then I dread taking the overpants off when I'm not wearing lined jeans and it's near or past freezing. :P

I've been happy with them. :)
Rippinyarn

Post by Rippinyarn »

I've got a pair of these for those days when you need a couple of layers. These are serious and seriously cheap.

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/u ... x?a=772910

They have a matching jacket, but I haven't tried that one. Yet.
Rovers SC
Check out the latest at scooterfile.com
michelle_7728

Post by michelle_7728 »

+1 on armored waterproof pants with zip in liner for extra warmth.

I got a pair of Fieldsheer a year ago on sale for $99 that zip all the way up the legs (both the liner and the outer pant) so you don't have to take your boots off to put them on.
Past bikes: 08' Genuine Buddy 125, '07 Yamaha Majesty 400, '07 Piaggio MP3 250, '08 Piaggio MP3 500, '08 Aprilia Scarabeo 500
Current bikes: Two '09 Genuine Buddy 125's
LunaP

Post by LunaP »

I don't know how much money you are wanting to spend, but I just got a Tucano Urbano. It's amazing. The R151 model DOES fit on the buddy- we dug up a thread here where somebody had photos of it.

I ordered this because Lokky has one for the Stella and I was pretty impressed by it. I also knew I would get frustrated quickly with having to take that much gear or clothes on and off. If you want or feel you need armor on you lower body, definitely get it- but I can vouch for this brand of lap cover if you consider this route. It's and Italian brand, they take the all weather shit seriously, and this brand makes almost exclusively lap covers. They're legit.

Waterproof, windproof, fur-lined. Made to leave on the scoot, covers the seat and keeps it dry if its rainy. If its warm, you can roll it up and tie it so it's not over your lap rather than take it off the scoot entirely. Has a metal ring on it for you to put your chain through, so the cover can't be stolen off the scoot. All the ties have a quick-release in case of a crash so you arent bound to the bike. A flip-up hole to get to your ignition. Little airbags in the sides that blow up to keep the sides from flapping around while you ride. It's *awesome*.

SN: ebay wasnt the only place I found them for sale, but everywhere I did, once shipping was calculated they were pretty much the same $
michelle_7728

Post by michelle_7728 »

Very nice!

The only hesitation I would have would be, after you have used it a season, and take it off, is the plastic on the bike marred due to the vibration of the vinyl laying against it?

I wonder about that because I have a bar map that I use for my Garmin, and prior to my getting smart and putting a soft cloth under it, I just left it free to flap in the wind. After only one outing, when I removed it, I found that the soft vinyl on the bottom of the bar map had rubbed on the top panel (the panel that fits over your handlebars and I could see slight (but noticable) marring of the finish. :(

I understand that the front area is secured down, but I imagine there might be slight vibration/movement of the fabric.

Maybe you could start a thread some time and give an update as to whether that ends up being an issue, or is a non-issue. Because it might be secured down, and not flapping, maybe it will take several rides, or a riding season for the marring to show up....if it ever does.

Otherwise I really like the product. I'd probably still want to wear my thin rainpants for rainy days (when you're sitting still rain still could come at you from other directions), but it would be nice not to have to wear my winter armored pants as they are bulky to have to carry and store. :roll:

This thread includes a picture of the bar map I am referring to (about 2/5ths of the way down the first page), with the blue fabric I have to put behind it to keep the plastic from lightly rubbing on the panel.
Past bikes: 08' Genuine Buddy 125, '07 Yamaha Majesty 400, '07 Piaggio MP3 250, '08 Piaggio MP3 500, '08 Aprilia Scarabeo 500
Current bikes: Two '09 Genuine Buddy 125's
BigBenlor

Post by BigBenlor »

Snow pants! I use the same ones I snowboad with. Makes the seat a little slick if there is not a rubber butt pad, but I ride in very cold weather and have NO problem, just take them off when I get to work.
synaps3

Post by synaps3 »

Snow pants here too...

I'm also in GA, so we don't get nearly the cold you guys do up in Boston.

Layering is key, I just take off the extra layers when I get to my office.
Currently own: 2011 Honda PCX 125
Previously owned:2007 Buddy 125, 1988 Honda Spree, 2003 Honda Silverwing, 2000 KTM 125SX, 1998 Honda PC800, 2x 2008 Buddy 125, 2001 Honda Reflex, 1987 Honda Elite, 5 other bikes (hit text limit for sig)
LunaP

Post by LunaP »

michelle_7728 wrote:Very nice!

The only hesitation I would have would be, after you have used it a season, and take it off, is the plastic on the bike marred due to the vibration of the vinyl laying against it?

Maybe you could start a thread some time and give an update as to whether that ends up being an issue, or is a non-issue. Because it might be secured down, and not flapping, maybe it will take several rides, or a riding season for the marring to show up....if it ever does.

Otherwise I really like the product. I'd probably still want to wear my thin rainpants for rainy days (when you're sitting still rain still could come at you from other directions), but it would be nice not to have to wear my winter armored pants as they are bulky to have to carry and store. :roll:
Actually- I think I mentioned it, but Lokky has one for the Stella and he's used it for a year. The Stella has no rub damage from it whatsoever. It is true, however, that I suspect most of the models it was made in mind for have metal frames though- I'm planning on starting a thread about my gear and stuff, so I'll keep you updated, but I don't anticipate any issues.

I've seen it in action- the end of the cover comes up over your lap- your front is very covered. The same flap extension that covers the back of your seat has a strap that you put around your neck so your whole front is bibbed, It's the butt/back of waist and most of your torso that is left exposed, unless you sit REALLY far back on your seat. The only time rain got past his was when he drove through a puddle that turned out to be a lake in disguise and suddenly his floorboard was under- everything got wet, including the fur underside of the Tucano, which took a good long while to dry out since you can't use heat on it.

However, it doesn't armor you. So if you like the idea of armored pants, good on you. After this spill I'm probably looking for strap on kneepads.
cmac

Post by cmac »

When it gets below 50 I just wear jeans with longunderwear on. You can always take them off when you get to a destination where you're going to be inside for awhile. Bring a small backpack and you're straight.
Lovelandstella

lap apron

Post by Lovelandstella »

I use this:
http://corazzo.net/scooter-lap-apron
but I am not using it exactly as directed- I did NOT put sticker velcro to be forever on my scooter, for example. I want to attach some magnets to the velcro ...but I haven't.
of note: it's fleece lining sounds good on paper- but is is not attached to the rest of it. okay, so it is literally attched to the rest of it - but only on the edges, like a... like a.. like a sopapilla! basically the fleece grabs your knees in the wrong areas and wont allow the apron to fully fall to your feet and you are constantly forced to try to pull it down with your one free hand much like an obsessive compulsive wearing a skirt or dress trying to make a good 1st impression.
anyway- I will do more of a review at another time in another place but here I will state that for my purpose -(I rode to work today in 20 degree weather) -it is not perfect.
basically I am miserable. and I recommend: don't do it how I do it.
I need to get better gear, but.... I'm cheap.
Last edited by Lovelandstella on Tue Nov 01, 2011 10:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
~Lovelandstella
----------------------------------------
Skootz Kabootz

Post by Skootz Kabootz »

I went full-on Fieldsheer cold weather ninja last winter after one too many too cold rides. There was an amazing sale at Motorcycle-Superstore I think it was. Jacket $100, pants $78. Not bad at all. The jacket liner is actually a removable jacket in itself. I have yet to find cold enough weather that I need to use the pants liner.

"It's only fun if you live to talk about it." | Adventurists Scooter Group |
izark47

Post by izark47 »

I got some no name over pants from Jafrum.com, and they are awesome, But no real lining, water proof and armored, so i use Long john bottoms and have been good to about 35 degrees, much colder than that and it would be unsafe for me to ride.

http://www.jafrum.com/Closeouts/Motorcy ... nts-LP1411#
Born to be Mild!!!
easy

Post by easy »

I use walls blizzard insulated coveralls worked good last winter . Gloves is what limited my riding after I got insulated boots.
what did you trade the day for?
peabody99

Post by peabody99 »

the following advice is based on my Cleveland years-
You probably don't want to hear this, but lap aprons are amazing. I have a Corazzo (link does not work) http://www.corazzo.net/lifestyle-gear. I also had ski pants, but they were not practical for most of my riding.

My job required I go to people's homes or to courts in the community. I could not "de-pant" in the parking lot or inside -no place to do it, and store them when I arrived so the lap apron was a great solution. You can take it off and put it on in seconds. I don't know the physics behind it but the lap apron kept me warmer than the ski pants-maybe it captured a pocket of heat.

I wore the ski pants andAND the lap apron on recreational weekend rides (below freezing)with the spouse b/c I did not mind walking into places for a coffee or what not with ski pants on. I have not seen many guys wearing them in the US but they are common in Europe where temps are not as bitter (but still cold), and people ride year around . I did not see one male in ski pants but numerous ones with lap aprons.
peabody99

Post by peabody99 »

Skootz Kabootz wrote:I went full-on Fieldsheer cold weather ninja last winter after one too many too cold rides. There was an amazing sale at Motorcycle-Superstore I think it was. Jacket $100, pants $78. Not bad at all. The jacket liner is actually a removable jacket in itself. I have yet to find cold enough weather that I need to use the pants liner.
hee hee people from S. Cal giving cold weather tips. :lol:
Skootz Kabootz

Post by Skootz Kabootz »

peabody99 wrote:
Skootz Kabootz wrote:I went full-on Fieldsheer cold weather ninja last winter after one too many too cold rides. There was an amazing sale at Motorcycle-Superstore I think it was. Jacket $100, pants $78. Not bad at all. The jacket liner is actually a removable jacket in itself. I have yet to find cold enough weather that I need to use the pants liner.
hee hee people from S. Cal giving cold weather tips. :lol:
Hey we feel pain in SoCal too :lol: Actually, I grew up in Toronto, so believe me, I do know cold. And though this is SoCal, it still gets plenty too cold for me here. Of course I will be the first to admit I am a total cold weather weenie. Personally I'd prefer it never got below 50º...

"It's only fun if you live to talk about it." | Adventurists Scooter Group |
ed85379

Post by ed85379 »

LunaP wrote:I don't know how much money you are wanting to spend, but I just got a Tucano Urbano. It's amazing. The R151 model DOES fit on the buddy- we dug up a thread here where somebody had photos of it.
I just ordered one of these. Easily worth the cost if it saves me gas and parking costs during the winter months.

I also got a pair of the C9 thermal underwear from Target for when it is *really* cold, or if the cover is off, and don't want to spend the time putting it on.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone.

Now the only thing I need is a good pair of gloves, but I refuse to order gloves online without trying them on first. Already made that mistake twice before, and both were too uncomfortable to even wear.
bluebuddygirl

Post by bluebuddygirl »

When it is really cold here, but without snow, I wear smart wool long underwear, thick jeans, and a pair of decent ski pants that I got at TJ Maxx for cheap, and I also switch to insulated winter boots rather than my regular boots. It works pretty well. I even wear ski mittens, with a liner, but my hands still get cold. I actually find the hands to be the worst.
Tocsik

Post by Tocsik »

Fleece-lined jeans from Bass Pro for $35.
Depending on temps, I will add a base layer. Just some medium weight underlayer I got at Costco for around $20. I have another pair I picked up at Wallyworld for $14.
Then, when it's really cold, I top off with a pair of ski pants that I got for $50 at the Sniagrab sale one year.
I'm cheap.

Nice thing is, it's generally warmer for the afternoon ride home so I have the above items with me as options for layering.
.::I know the voices in my head aren't real, but man do they come up with some great ideas::.
Lokky

Post by Lokky »

bluebuddygirl wrote: I actually find the hands to be the worst.
This is very true, no matter how much you'll dump on your gloves, your hands are bound to be cold.
I use a tall windshield which partially covers the hands from wind and it helps a bit, then I remembered I had some manopolas from Tucano Urbano in my closet and I installed them. They look goofy as hell but they are completely wind and water proof, I may even forego winter gloves altogether with them!
ed85379

Post by ed85379 »

Lokky wrote:
This is very true, no matter how much you'll dump on your gloves, your hands are bound to be cold.
How about heated gloves?
Lokky

Post by Lokky »

ed85379 wrote:
Lokky wrote:
How about heated gloves?
I have considered it and did some research. The only brand that seems to sell a quality motorcycle heated glove is Gerbin. Their gloves are ~170$ for a model running off your 12v battery (which requires a cigarette lighter port). Hybrid gloves exist which can be used both off the scooter's battery or portable lithium-ion battery packs and run 200$. In addition to this battery packs are 100$ for a pair, to which one has to add the cost of a heat control unit (I am told without this the gloves get excessively hot).
I guess the ones that run off your bike's power would be fine on a buddy but you'd have to check how much power they drain vs what the buddy outputs or you will risk having a dead battery very fast. I haven't gone for these because the Stella is simply not capable of sustaining heated gloves (the electrics are a joke) and the cost for the battery pack bundle was just too much for me (especially considering I may be moving to california next year)
heythere512

Post by heythere512 »

I've got fleece-lined cargo pants that go over my jeans.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004CFYQPY

Also wearing a neofleece masque with my 3/4 helmet: http://www.rei.com/product/725712/seiru ... ort-masque

Still working out a better glove situation, though. I want the armor protection, but also need to fell my fingers! :P
PeteH

Post by PeteH »

Maximum of a measly 1 amp from the Buddy's 12v socket. Pretty much just a cell-charger only. Don't even think about plugging in gloves.
Feel da rhythm! Feel da rhyme! Get on up! It's Buddy Time!
heatherkay

Post by heatherkay »

heythere512 wrote:I've got fleece-lined cargo pants that go over my jeans.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004CFYQPY

Also wearing a neofleece masque with my 3/4 helmet: http://www.rei.com/product/725712/seiru ... ort-masque

Still working out a better glove situation, though. I want the armor protection, but also need to fell my fingers! :P
These are great glove liners

http://mwsafety.com/Merchant2/merchant. ... ct_Count=3
heythere512

Post by heythere512 »

heatherkay wrote: These are great glove liners

http://mwsafety.com/Merchant2/merchant. ... ct_Count=3
Thanks - nice price, too!
ed85379

Post by ed85379 »

PeteH wrote:Maximum of a measly 1 amp from the Buddy's 12v socket. Pretty much just a cell-charger only. Don't even think about plugging in gloves.
I wouldn't get gloves to plug in. I know how weak the electrical system is. If I get heated gloves, it will have to be with the battery packs.
LunaP

Post by LunaP »

I've ordered wintry gloves. This will be the second pair I've tried. If this doesn't do it for me, I'm just going with glove liners, gloves, and the giant muff things Chelsea has for sale at Scoot Richmond that go over the handles. That should do it.
BootScootin'FireFighter

Post by BootScootin'FireFighter »

I use Carhartts quilted bib. They work for me, they're warm. Not waterproof, but will resist a light to moderate rain for a little while, otherwise, I'll wear the frogg toggs underneath. They held up well in a moderate rain the entire trip home from Baltimore (2 hour ride... lots of traffic), with only water getting through at the boot cuffs seams, pee pee seam, and a little in pockets. They are a little more pricey now considering options other people presented and they're not armored, but it's an option. They worked well in January when I was out for 15 hours on a scavenger hunt all over the DC metro in low 30s.

I really like the price of those Swedish military coveralls!
KABarash

Post by KABarash »

BootScootin'FireFighter, won't your 'Bunker pants' be the "cure-all-that-ends-all"????
Aging is mandatory, growing up is optional.
My kids call me 'crazy', I prefer 'Eccentric'.
Nullius in verba
ed85379

Post by ed85379 »

So it was only about 40 degrees when I left this morning, but then again, at 70bmph, the wind-chill would have made it seem 30 at the highest.

Wearing my C9s, my legs were only slightly chilled, but not cold. And yesterday, I stopped by Parkway Cycle and got a pair of these cold-weather gloves:
http://www.firstgear-usa.com/Gloves/CSSTPGGloves.html

Again, my fingers were chilled, but not truly cold.

The only area where I was cold was my mouth from the wind getting in under my helmet past my scarf.

We'll see how I do when it gets down below freezing without the wind-chill. But by then, by tomorrow actually, I will have that Italian lap-cover recommended in an earlier post.
BootScootin'FireFighter

Post by BootScootin'FireFighter »

KABarash wrote:BootScootin'FireFighter, won't your 'Bunker pants' be the "cure-all-that-ends-all"????
I haven't had to use them yet for riding, but I may pick up my reserve set for the Richmond rally this weekend. They fit very snug, not bulky, and have reflective trim around the shins.
jprestonian

Post by jprestonian »

ed85379 wrote:Wearing my C9s, my legs were only slightly chilled, but not cold.
Did you find them comfortable inside, as well? I really like them, adding Frogg Toggs to the outer layer for REALLY cold riding.
Syd

Post by Syd »

ed85379 wrote:The only area where I was cold was my mouth from the wind getting in under my helmet past my scarf.
I made myself a device for just that purpose (but because my eyes dry out so quickly, not initially for the cold. It is a tube of cloth, about the length of the area between the cheek pads at the very front of my FF helmet. I filled it with furniture batting in my case, but it could be filled with anything that will compress. It's as thick as it needs to be to fill the space between my chin and the helmet's chinguard. Looks like a big old fat cigar and works like a champ.
The majority is always sane - Nessus
ed85379

Post by ed85379 »

jprestonian wrote:
ed85379 wrote:Wearing my C9s, my legs were only slightly chilled, but not cold.
Did you find them comfortable inside, as well? I really like them, adding Frogg Toggs to the outer layer for REALLY cold riding.
Not uncomfortable, but then again, I like to be warm, and my work office is usually pretty cold.
kamuela5

Post by kamuela5 »

I use cycling leg warmers. When it warms up they just slide right off. They are perfect for So Cal winters when it's in the 30's in the morning but warms up into the 70's.

http://www.jensonusa.com/store/product/ ... er+10.aspx
teabow1

Post by teabow1 »

Silk thermal underwear is great! They're expensive but the advantage is they breathe, and are very thin, and keeps you much warmer than the regular kind of thermal underwear.
Southerner

Post by Southerner »

I generally just wear jeans or Carharts. I also wear boots and usually bungee the pant cuffs around my ankles to keep the cold air out. It works pretty well but if freezing or below, your legs will still get cold.

I don't care for heavy sock or long underwear, either. It's a lot easier to remove an outer layer than an inner one when it gets warm.

I do need to invest in some sort of cold weather overpants and they might as well be armored. I would prefer something with side zips or otherwise easy to remove when I get to my destination.

I bought my armored jacket pretty cheap from this place:
http://www.leatherup.com/c/Leather-Pant ... 1/146.html

Yeah, they have a lot of cruiser gear. Just ignore that and search for the stuff you want.